PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Emotional Overload

One Day Soon
24-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Maybe it's just me.

This game feels massive to me. Not just because if we win we stay up. It's been a terrible season and that has followed upon several grim seasons. All of them have taken place against a background of tough times for everyone with the economy tanking. And for the last year all of that has taken place in the context of the Referendum unfolding with all of the strong feelings on both sides and the uncertainty attached.

Tomorrow will be a pretty much full house of the Hibernian family. There is just nothing even remotely close to that feeling of solidarity and belonging - especially in adversity. Just thinking about the feeling in Hampden after we won the cup against Killie or when we came back against Falkirk in the semi-final when we were dead and buried. Or the emotion at the end and after full time in the final against Celtic, the defiance and the passion of our support in spite of the serial disappointment of failing to win the cup again.

I'm taking my kids to Easter Road tomorrow for the first time. I almost feel a bit guilty about that because I know the years of hope, pain and disappointments that I have experienced and they probably will too. But I also know the joy and intensity of feeling part of the Hibernian family, the sweetness of the highs when they come and the simple sense of togetherness. That's a gift forever that far outweighs the lows.

So when I read the posts on threads about this game and anticipate the sights and sounds that my wee boy and girl will experience tomorrow and when I think of the hope and joy of escaping disaster -especially after such a long dark period in every sense - I find myself becoming very emotional. I think we should have SoL and we should do it cup final style because tomorrow isn't just about our eleven men on the park, or about the deciding game. It's about all of us together expressing who we are and what makes up such a big part of our lives. Its about loyalty to our club, yes, but also about loyalty to each other and to an institution that was here before all of us and will be here long after we have all gone.

I wouldn't swap one painful second of the Alex Miller or Bobby Williamson years, or the game against Dundee United when we were relegated, or losing the cup final against Hearts or the humiliation against Malmo or the near extinction at the hands of Mercer or one second of any other disappointment to be a supporter of another club no matter how successful.

Generations of Hibs supporters have lived and died without seeing us win the cup. In the last decade we have had to cope with the neighbours living it up on other people's money while we took the knocks of doing it by the book. Until very recently we have had to try to move forward in spite of Edinburgh's establishment rather than because of it. And in the last few weeks we have seen the media positively gloating over our fate.

All of that is fine because despite what has been thrown at us - and despite what we have done to ourselves - none of it detracts from the fact that we are still here, still defiant and still Hibernian. Every so often we get a chance to celebrate and feel that unique spirit, even in adversity. So the game tomorrow matters a hell of a lot, but not as much as the green line of hope in the Hibernian family that will surround the game all the way around Easter Road in every stand. That's where Hibernian really is, from family to family and generation to generation.

Bring it on.

matty_f
24-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Maybe it's just me.

This game feels massive to me. Not just because if we win we stay up. It's been a terrible season and that has followed upon several grim seasons. All of them have taken place against a background of tough times for everyone with the economy tanking. And for the last year all of that has taken place in the context of the Referendum unfolding with all of the strong feelings on both sides and the uncertainty attached.

Tomorrow will be a pretty much full house of the Hibernian family. There is just nothing even remotely close to that feeling of solidarity and belonging - especially in adversity. Just thinking about the feeling in Hampden after we won the cup against Killie or when we came back against Falkirk in the semi-final when we were dead and buried. Or the emotion at the end and after full time in the final against Celtic, the defiance and the passion of our support in spite of the serial disappointment of failing to win the cup again.

I'm taking my kids to Easter Road tomorrow for the first time. I almost feel a bit guilty about that because I know the years of hope, pain and disappointments that I have experienced and they probably will too. But I also know the joy and intensity of feeling part of the Hibernian family, the sweetness of the highs when they come and the simple sense of togetherness. That's a gift forever that far outweighs the lows.

So when I read the posts on threads about this game and anticipate the sights and sounds that my wee boy and girl will experience tomorrow and when I think of the hope and joy of escaping disaster -especially after such a long dark period in every sense - I find myself becoming very emotional. I think we should have SoL and we should do it cup final style because tomorrow isn't just about our eleven men on the park, or about the deciding game. It's about all of us together expressing who we are and what makes up such a big part of our lives. Its about loyalty to our club, yes, but also about loyalty to each other and to an institution that was here before all of us and will be here long after we have all gone.

I wouldn't swap one painful second of the Alex Miller or Bobby Williamson years, or the game against Dundee United when we were relegated, or losing the cup final against Hearts or the humiliation against Malmo or the near extinction at the hands of Mercer or one second of any other disappointment to be a supporter of another club no matter how successful.

Generations of Hibs supporters have lived and died without seeing us win the cup. In the last decade we have had to cope with the neighbours living it up on other people's money while we took the knocks of doing it by the book. Until very recently we have had to try to move forward in spite of Edinburgh's establishment rather than because of it. And in the last few weeks we have seen the media positively gloating over our fate.

All of that is fine because despite what has been thrown at us - and despite what we have done to ourselves - none of it detracts from the fact that we are still here, still defiant and still Hibernian. Every so often we get a chance to celebrate and feel that unique spirit, even in adversity. So the game tomorrow matters a hell of a lot, but not as much as the green line of hope in the Hibernian family that will surround the game all the way around Easter Road in every stand. That's where Hiberian really is, from family to family and generation to generation.

Bring it on.
:not worth Great post. I couldn't agree more with you.

Hibby Gav
24-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Maybe it's just me.

All of that is fine because despite what has been thrown at us - and despite what we have done to ourselves - none of it detracts from the fact that we are still here, still defiant and still Hibernian. Every so often we get a chance to celebrate and feel that unique spirit, even in adversity. So the game tomorrow matters a hell of a lot, but not as much as the green line of hope in the Hibernian family that will surround the game all the way around Easter Road in every stand. That's where Hiberian really is, from family to family and generation to generation.

Bring it on.

great words mate

together we ride the roller coaster

We are Hibernian FC !

H113EE5
24-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Eloquent, articulate, accurate and oh so true. Still not convinced about our management team and our sense of direction but hoping to be proved wrong. GGTTH

Pretty Boy
24-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

Great post.

GlenrothesHibee
24-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Good post. Ive found myself watching youtube clips of famous games and telling my daughter about the famous five since Wednesday. Its amazing the emotions and unity this club get out of us in times of need. Even if we go down tomorrow im truly proud to support Hibernian.

hibby6270
24-05-2014, 11:25 AM
You've brilliantly summed up 51 years of supporting the club since the day "my daddy took me down to Easter Road, high upon his shoulders" (well it wasn't quite like that but it's how I like to imagine it). A 2-2 draw against Dundee in 1963.

My dad, his dad (my grandad obviously) supported Hibs because they were Leith born and bred. My sons are supporters and my grandson (although he's only 20 months old and despite the fact he's in Canada) have and will be raised to learn the history of the glorious Hibees.

It's games like tomorrow, and the ones mentioned by the OP that are what the Hibernian Family ethos is all about and make you proud to be a Hibee. We come together with one aim. One goal. To support our beloved club no matter what the situation is. No matter How good or bad we've been in the lead up to these so called "important" games.

We'll support you ever more!!
GGTTH

FranckSuzy
24-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Great post and thread. Nearly :boo hoo: here :greengrin GGTTH.

Stax
24-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.
Very eloquent post, sums up a lot of points I really relate to. Only my wee girl's second game tomorrow but she'll be the fourth generation in my family at Easter rd. Heartbreak or not I'm afraid she's not got a choice, it's in her DNA as far as I'm concerned. She loves the fact / can't get her head around her great grandad going to Easter rd when he was her age. This is what it's all about for me. GGTTH

Borderhibbie76
24-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

Jeez u nearly had be bubbling like a Yam in 86 there mate...what a fabulous post. I really hope the team finish the job tomoro but even if disaster strikes, we have shown that we come together even when things are not going well. Easter Rd will be some sight tomoro at 3.30pm...come in hibees lets get the job done! !!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

AlanGF69
24-05-2014, 01:55 PM
I think it will be a truly tremendous atmosphere tomorrow, and there'll be about 18,000 fans in the stadium.

Looking forward to it, and if we score the first goal - as The Proclaimer song goes- 'We're on our way!'

Soldiersteve
24-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Great post and thread. Nearly :boo hoo: here :greengrin GGTTH.

Me too!
Can't be home in Scotland tomorrow but great to know the place will be full of Hibby's and absolutely rocking
Hope to see it on the tv

GGTTH

therealgavmac
24-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

You have articulated perfectly what I believe every Hibs fan feels, the togetherness, the belonging, the hurt, the pain, over-ridden by the glory...
Take a bow my man! :agree:

Caravanette
24-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Great post, that's what you expect from this great HIBS family.

JimBHibees
24-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

Fantastic post. Well done. Agree with every word.

Higgy115
24-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

Well said that man, tears are flowing already !?!

WHAM
24-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Up there with the best posts I have ever read on here! HIBS

Paisley Hibby
24-05-2014, 05:45 PM
You've brilliantly summed up 51 years of supporting the club since the day "my daddy took me down to Easter Road, high upon his shoulders" (well it wasn't quite like that but it's how I like to imagine it). A 2-2 draw against Dundee in 1963.

My dad, his dad (my grandad obviously) supported Hibs because they were Leith born and bred. My sons are supporters and my grandson (although he's only 20 months old and despite the fact he's in Canada) have and will be raised to learn the history of the glorious Hibees.

It's games like tomorrow, and the ones mentioned by the OP that are what the Hibernian Family ethos is all about and make you proud to be a Hibee. We come together with one aim. One goal. To support our beloved club no matter what the situation is. No matter How good or bad we've been in the lead up to these so called "important" games.

We'll support you ever more!!
GGTTH

I never got that chance, my dad's a Jambo Still, he let me be a Hibby which says a lot for him :aok:

nonshinyfinish
24-05-2014, 06:11 PM
No, no, I'm fine, I've just got something in my eye.

Wakeyhibee
24-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Maybe it's just me.

All of that is fine because despite what has been thrown at us - and despite what we have done to ourselves - none of it detracts from the fact that we are still here, still defiant and still Hibernian. Every so often we get a chance to celebrate and feel that unique spirit, even in adversity. So the game tomorrow matters a hell of a lot, but not as much as the green line of hope in the Hibernian family that will surround the game all the way around Easter Road in every stand. That's where Hibernian really is, from family to family and generation to generation.

Bring it on.

:top marks wonderful post and sums up exactly how I (and my brothers) was brought up. Will be coming 'home' tomorrow with my son, he could have chosen any EPL or local team down here but supported Hibs and stuck with it, it's in the blood :flag:

spike220
25-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Great post, there are no choices in my house, Hibs or naught.

Aldo
25-05-2014, 06:43 AM
Maybe it's just me. This game feels massive to me. Not just because if we win we stay up. It's been a terrible season and that has followed upon several grim seasons. All of them have taken place against a background of tough times for everyone with the economy tanking. And for the last year all of that has taken place in the context of the Referendum unfolding with all of the strong feelings on both sides and the uncertainty attached. Tomorrow will be a pretty much full house of the Hibernian family. There is just nothing even remotely close to that feeling of solidarity and belonging - especially in adversity. Just thinking about the feeling in Hampden after we won the cup against Killie or when we came back against Falkirk in the semi-final when we were dead and buried. Or the emotion at the end and after full time in the final against Celtic, the defiance and the passion of our support in spite of the serial disappointment of failing to win the cup again. I'm taking my kids to Easter Road tomorrow for the first time. I almost feel a bit guilty about that because I know the years of hope, pain and disappointments that I have experienced and they probably will too. But I also know the joy and intensity of feeling part of the Hibernian family, the sweetness of the highs when they come and the simple sense of togetherness. That's a gift forever that far outweighs the lows. So when I read the posts on threads about this game and anticipate the sights and sounds that my wee boy and girl will experience tomorrow and when I think of the hope and joy of escaping disaster -especially after such a long dark period in every sense - I find myself becoming very emotional. I think we should have SoL and we should do it cup final style because tomorrow isn't just about our eleven men on the park, or about the deciding game. It's about all of us together expressing who we are and what makes up such a big part of our lives. Its about loyalty to our club, yes, but also about loyalty to each other and to an institution that was here before all of us and will be here long after we have all gone. I wouldn't swap one painful second of the Alex Miller or Bobby Williamson years, or the game against Dundee United when we were relegated, or losing the cup final against Hearts or the humiliation against Malmo or the near extinction at the hands of Mercer or one second of any other disappointment to be a supporter of another club no matter how successful. Generations of Hibs supporters have lived and died without seeing us win the cup. In the last decade we have had to cope with the neighbours living it up on other people's money while we took the knocks of doing it by the book. Until very recently we have had to try to move forward in spite of Edinburgh's establishment rather than because of it. And in the last few weeks we have seen the media positively gloating over our fate. All of that is fine because despite what has been thrown at us - and despite what we have done to ourselves - none of it detracts from the fact that we are still here, still defiant and still Hibernian. Every so often we get a chance to celebrate and feel that unique spirit, even in adversity. So the game tomorrow matters a hell of a lot, but not as much as the green line of hope in the Hibernian family that will surround the game all the way around Easter Road in every stand. That's where Hibernian really is, from family to family and generation to generation. Bring it on.

Superb ODS just superb!!

EdinMike
25-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Wow.. :top marks

marinello59
25-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Well done ODS. Sums things up brilliantly.

Tollhouse Hibee
25-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Great post and should be pinned up in the dressing room

it has made me a wee tad emotional but can't wait to get to Easter rd.

:tbgwa:

25-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

Great post - couldn't agree more :top marks

lucky
25-05-2014, 07:40 AM
I love posts like the OPs. I think it's great that fans just like me care so passionately about our club. I remember my Dad taking me to ER, he was not really a footie fan, and I've taken my daughter nieces and nephews to ER. I've bought them all STs in the past. I feel it's our duty to pass on the Hibernian way to our kin. My daughter now graduating from Edinburgh Uni still talks about the Athens game at ER. It's amazing me how this wonderful old football club gets under your skin and becomes part and parcel off your life and family. FFS we even named our dog Sauzee. Hibernian is our club and probably reflects life. It has highs and lows but you keep striving to improve

Scouse Hibee
25-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

Wow, that really hits home with me, great post mate you should be giving the pre match motivational speech to the players.

RIP
25-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Well done that man. My emotions have been all over the place this week. So glad I experienced the away game. So looking forward to the fight today.

One Day Soon
25-05-2014, 09:27 AM
It's not just me then.

See you behind the goals.

vahibbie
25-05-2014, 09:42 AM
You don't half read some cra@p on here. Then every so often someone posts something that just soars.
OP, fantastic summary of being a Hibby. Who says grown men don't cry .

baggio70
25-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Maybe it's just me.

Bring it on.

What a post, well done mate. Enjoyed reading it.
Ggtth

Slicer
25-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Top marks!! Emotional post !!

ALF TUPPER
25-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Wonderful post.
I can sense an emotional pressure cooker.

The Hibs family together as one .

As you said. " Bring it On"