PDA

View Full Version : Dougie Cromb recalls past battles

H18sry
24-05-2014, 06:48 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/ex-hibs-chairman-dougie-cromb-recalls-past-battles-1-3421675 Great read :thumbsup:

LancsHibs
24-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Good article, good to hear from Douggie and he's keeping well:thumbsup:

bawheid
24-05-2014, 07:11 AM
He's a good man. I remember writing to him as a 12 year old asking him not to move Hibs to Straiton and he sent me back a personal reply.

DarlingtonHibee
24-05-2014, 07:14 AM
True gent, and a great Hibs man.

Booked4Being-Ugly
24-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Dougie Cromb is a legend IMO and had a passion for Hibs and football in his time as chairman that is sadly lacking at ER just now.

hibbybob
24-05-2014, 07:26 AM
I occasionally see Dougie around Colinton. He doesn't know me from Adam but always happy to spend a few minutes chatting about the Hibs.

I find it sad that he doesn't attend matches any more.

A really nice guy and a true Hibby.

Billy Whizz
24-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Met him last week at a funeral that he was representing Hibs at.

#FromTheCapital
24-05-2014, 07:57 AM
What an excellent read. Dougie was chairman when I first started going to games.

The Harp
24-05-2014, 07:57 AM
I was another who was invited to Dougie's office to chat about some complaint or other I felt strongly about (it must've been so important I've forgotten what it was:rolleyes:).
I found him very welcoming and down to earth. Just a really nice guy who was doing a job at the Club he loved.
Good to know he's still with us and still caring.:aok:

RCNG
24-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Leeann - Sign him up!

matty_f
24-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Really interesting article, it's fantastic to get an insight into Hibs from someone who ran the club for so long. :agree:

BroxburnHibee
24-05-2014, 09:04 AM
He invited me round for a chat as well after I complained about a letter every ST holder in the new FF stand had received following some trouble with away fans in the hospitality section.

Genuinely nice guy and clearly passionate about Hibs.

smurf
24-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Fascinating read. Back in 2002 not long after Franck Säuzee was sacked I took my then Mrs to a Chinese acupuncture place up Bruntsfield. I was not looking forward to sitting in the reception waiting but was shocked and surprised to discover Douglas Cromb was working manning the phones! I went with her every week and he opened up quite a lot. Not fair to disclose what he said but he told me Franck Säuzee thought Rod Petrie was not a football man and would be better suited running a steel factory. Douglas impressed me with his love and passion for our club and is a very nice man.

Phil D. Rolls
24-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Dougie Cromb is a legend IMO and had a passion for Hibs and football in his time as chairman that is sadly lacking at ER just now.

Cromb was the guy that stuck with Miller when the majority of fans (see various EEN polls) wanted him out. Seems that history has a way of giving people different perspectives.

IIRC his departure saw a new "Hibs minded" regime come in.A year later we were down. We should be careful what we wish for.

smurf
24-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Cromb was the guy that stuck with Miller when the majority of fans (see various EEN polls) wanted him out. Seems that history has a way of giving people different perspectives.

IIRC his departure saw a new "Hibs minded" regime come in.A year later we were down. We should be careful what we wish for.

What "Hibs minded" regime was that? RP joined the board in 1996 and to all intents and purposes was running the show on behalf of Sir Tom then.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-05-2014, 09:47 AM
He reminds me of being so young and just starting out going to the games with my dad. Great times. Gent of a guy

Pretty Boy
24-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Am I right in thinking he had a stint as Chairman of Raith Rovers after leaving Hibs?

smurf
24-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Am I right in thinking he had a stint as Chairman of Raith Rovers after leaving Hibs?

He did. Ex Hibs director Iain Breenan also involved IIRC.

Phil D. Rolls
24-05-2014, 10:04 AM
What "Hibs minded" regime was that? RP joined the board in 1996 and to all intents and purposes was running the show on behalf of Sir Tom then.

Tom O'Malley. Have to take your word for it about Petrie, but I find it hard to believe Lex Gold was just there as a gopher.

Gettin' Auld
24-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Aye, i think he was their charman when we were relegated and faced them in the First Division.

Capt Mainwaring
24-05-2014, 11:23 AM
He did. Ex Hibs director Iain Breenan also involved IIRC.

Both great Hibees. Ian Brennan ran the Bonnyrigg Branch Supporters Bus for years and as passionate Hibee you were ever likely to meet.

trev the hat
24-05-2014, 11:25 AM
I remember going down pre season one year to pick my season ticket seat in the old North (main) stand upper with my auld man & Cromb was showing people around the seats they were picking. A personal touch which I fondly remember & shows why it's so important to fans to have a Chairman / Owner who actually supports the club themselves.
A cracking read & thanks for posting.
Here's to you Douglas :aok:

theonlywayisup
24-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Both great Hibees. Ian Brennan ran the Bonnyrigg Branch Supporters Bus for years and as passionate Hibee you were ever likely to meet.

Did Ian Brennan run a shop in Gorebridge? If it is the guy I'm thinking about, I have not seen him for ages. Over twenty years. He had a 0-7 back page proudly hung up in his back office.

ekhibee
24-05-2014, 03:58 PM
I was another who was invited to Dougie's office to chat about some complaint or other I felt strongly about (it must've been so important I've forgotten what it was:rolleyes:).
I found him very welcoming and down to earth. Just a really nice guy who was doing a job at the Club he loved.
Good to know he's still with us and still caring.:aok:
I was almost the same. I was at a Hibs v Celtic game and at that time sat in the FF. The hospitality seats used to be there and McAvennie was there giving tight to the Hibs fans, standing up, turning to them and making gestures. That cause a few fans threw pies at him etc, and in the paper on Monday Cromb made a long statement about the disgraceful behaviour by Hibs fans. I was annoyed about this, McAvennie had clearly provoked the fans in the stand he was in, and opposing 'diginitaries' have a responsibility to behave at opposing teams grounds. I wrote to Cromb expressing my annoyance, and to give the guy credit he wrote back, apologizing and said he fully accepted what I was saying. I don't usually write to the club about things like that and hadn't expected to get a reply. But Cromb showed that he truly cared what the fans think, and the fact he took the trouble to reply seems a million miles away from the kind of reply, if any, that I would have received from the current board.

Soldiersteve
24-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I remember buying a ST in the old shop in ER one year,maybe 1990.
Dougie was manning the shop and had a chat.

HibeesLA
24-05-2014, 05:29 PM
I was almost the same. I was at a Hibs v Celtic game and at that time sat in the FF. The hospitality seats used to be there and McAvennie was there giving tight to the Hibs fans, standing up, turning to them and making gestures. That cause a few fans threw pies at him etc, and in the paper on Monday Cromb made a long statement about the disgraceful behaviour by Hibs fans. I was annoyed about this, McAvennie had clearly provoked the fans in the stand he was in, and opposing 'diginitaries' have a responsibility to behave at opposing teams grounds. I wrote to Cromb expressing my annoyance, and to give the guy credit he wrote back, apologizing and said he fully accepted what I was saying. I don't usually write to the club about things like that and hadn't expected to get a reply. But Cromb showed that he truly cared what the fans think, and the fact he took the trouble to reply seems a million miles away from the kind of reply, if any, that I would have received from the current board.

I seem to remember him actually coming into the FF stand after that and engaging with supporters before the game. Took a lot of stick from everyone, but stood there for a while and chatted to anyone who approached.

Kaiser1962
24-05-2014, 06:11 PM
I remember buying a ST in the old shop in ER one year,maybe 1990.
Dougie was manning the shop and had a chat.

Met with him in Lauder in June 1990 and could hardly see him across the table for smoke. :greengrin

Decent guy and pleased to see him still going well.

Peevemor
24-05-2014, 06:37 PM
I remember when the tickets went on sale for some semi or final (I can't remember which), Hibs had handed out vouchers at the previous home match which guaranteed you a ticket. All you had to do was post your voucher(s) with a cheque and the tickets would be sent. Obviously nobody trusted this system and everyone turned up in person when the tickets went on sale, resulting in a humongous queue on ER. Dougie Crombe and Kenny McLean snr. walked the length of the queue chatting away to everyone and tried to convince us that there was no need to stand in a queue. I don't think they managed to convince anyone, but it showed a human touch that I think was appreciated by everyone there.

Changing the subject, I used to love going to the old shop in the main stand - you never knew who was going to serve you or who'd be hanging about having a chat.

Caravanette
24-05-2014, 07:01 PM
A very good article, only wish we had a chairman like him in charge now. Even the oldies dislike the hearts. :top marks

CraigHibee
24-05-2014, 08:24 PM
great article, really enjoyed reading that

Niffy
24-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Brilliant fella. When I was on the dole , I had an idea about a gate for unemployed etc, he asked me in for a chat about it. Didn't do anything about it , but sent me tickets for every game for about 3 months.

FranckSuzy
24-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Brilliant fella. When I was on the dole , I had an idea about a gate for unemployed etc, he asked me in for a chat about it. Didn't do anything about it , but sent me tickets for every game for about 3 months.

Now THAT'S Hibs class :agree:

Caravanette
25-05-2014, 09:38 AM
As a HIBS family I wish we could move on from this HIBS class all the time, because nobody has class anymore. :tbgwa: