PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros 2014

PatHead
23-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Sorry Trig, beat you to it this year but since the name change .............

Not a bad draw for Murray up to the quarters then it changes completely. Wawrinka, Federer, Nadal follow if seeds go to plan.

Sir David Gray
23-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Sorry Trig, beat you to it this year but since the name change .............

Not a bad draw for Murray up to the quarters then it changes completely. Wawrinka, Federer, Nadal follow if seeds go to plan.

:tsk tsk: Unacceptable.

What's even more unacceptable is the wrong information!

If seeds go to plan, Murray is due to play Wawrinka (QF), Nadal (SF) and Djokovic (F).

Honestly, you let someone else have a wee bit of responsibility for a change and it goes pear shaped!

:wink:

PS-Gasquet in the last 16 would be extremely difficult as well if he was to play to his potential, especially on clay.

Also, well done to James Ward for getting through qualifying and becoming the first British man to do that at the French Open in more than 40 years.

Speedy
24-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know when the schedule of play is drawn?

I'll be there on Tuesday and I'm itching to know who I'll see.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know when the schedule of play is drawn?

I'll be there on Tuesday and I'm itching to know who I'll see.

Tuesday's order of play will be announced on Monday night.

PatHead
25-05-2014, 08:02 PM
:tsk tsk: Unacceptable.

What's even more unacceptable is the wrong information!

If seeds go to plan, Murray is due to play Wawrinka (QF), Nadal (SF) and Djokovic (F).

Honestly, you let someone else have a wee bit of responsibility for a change and it goes pear shaped!

:wink:

PS-Gasquet in the last 16 would be extremely difficult as well if he was to play to his potential, especially on clay.

Also, well done to James Ward for getting through qualifying and becoming the first British man to do that at the French Open in more than 40 years.

Sorry but in my defence got excited at the thought of seeing Murray/Wawrinka as I have quarter final tickets for the Wednesday. Hope it is that game but wouldn't surprise me if I end up with Raonic.

PatHead
25-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Boring results on the tennis today. Coverage is on ITV3 and 4 throughout the tournament for anyone who doesn't know. Weather forecast not good for tomorrow.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Watched most of the James Ward match today.

Won the 1st set, deservedly so, but the rain delay broke any momentum had and he lost in 4. Put up a good fight though and done well to even reach the 1st round proper imo.

Speedy
26-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Will be there tomorrow but Murray is on the wrong court.

Gutted to not get one of the top top guys.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Watched most of the James Ward match today.

Won the 1st set, deservedly so, but the rain delay broke any momentum had and he lost in 4. Put up a good fight though and done well to even reach the 1st round proper imo.

:agree: As I said in an earlier post, he's the first British male to come through qualifying at the French Open in 40 years so it's no mean feat.

I just wish Ward would realise that he can live with these guys. There's no way he should be as low down in the rankings as he is. He should definitely be in the top 100 and should be aiming for around top 75 as far as I'm concerned.

Time's getting on now though, with him being 27 now.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Will be there tomorrow but Murray is on the wrong court.

Gutted to not get one of the top top guys.

Aye, just about to post this.

Murray's on third on Suzanne Lenglen, which should mean he's on around 2:30pm.

Hope you enjoy your day anyway.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorry but in my defence got excited at the thought of seeing Murray/Wawrinka as I have quarter final tickets for the Wednesday. Hope it is that game but wouldn't surprise me if I end up with Raonic.

Sorry but you'll no' be seeing Murray v Wawrinka as Wawrinka's just lost to Guillermo Garcia Lopez in four sets.

Pretty sure he must have been injured as he only won two games in the last two sets.

That's really opened up Murray's quarter now and he might face another match-up against Fabio Fognini now in the quarter finals.

PatHead
26-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Well not getting to see Stan as he was well beaten today. 1st shock of the tournament. Hope Andy isn't next.

Speedy
26-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Aye, just about to post this.

Murray's on third on Suzanne Lenglen, which should mean he's on around 2:30pm.

Hope you enjoy your day anyway.

Thanks, sure it'll still be a great day. At least I get to see Ana Ivanovic :greengrin

Sir David Gray
26-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks, sure it'll still be a great day. At least I get to see Ana Ivanovic :greengrin

Every cloud and all that...

Mind and get her to sign your giant ball.

:greengrin

PatHead
26-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Is there not a place to swap tickets for different courts?

PatHead
27-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Anyone watching Murray this pm?

Sir David Gray
27-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Anyone watching Murray this pm?

Just got in a wee while ago at the end of the third set.

Disappointing to lose a set but it looks like it's still going to be a fairly comfortable victory.

His backhand winner a few minutes ago was a thing of beauty.

PatHead
27-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Still working but sure I will see it in highlights. Is it over yet?

Sir David Gray
27-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Murray wins 6-1 6-4 3-6 6-3.

He plays either Marinko Matosevic or Dustin Brown in round two.

PatHead
27-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Murray wins 6-1 6-4 3-6 6-3.

He plays either Marinko Matosevic or Dustin Brown in round two.

Thanks don't know much about them apart from Dustin Brown being German which always struck me as strange

Sir David Gray
27-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks don't know much about them apart from Dustin Brown being German which always struck me as strange

His father's Jamaican and his mother's German. They emigrated to Jamaica when he was 12 years old.

Matosevic is from Bosnia but his family emigrated to Australia when he was young and he plays for them.

PatHead
27-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Nothing straightforward nowadays. Take it no other seeds out yet?

Sir David Gray
27-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Nothing straightforward nowadays. Take it no other seeds out yet?

Three seeds out today;

Grigor Dimitrov, Tommy Haas and Nicolas Almagro.

Li Na has also lost today as well in the women's draw.

Speedy
28-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Every cloud and all that...

Mind and get her to sign your giant ball.

:greengrin

Was a good day.

Left Simona Halep at 6-0, 2-0 to watch the second set in Heather Watson's match. Turned out to be a good atmosphere.

Ferrer was good but a bit dull, still gutted I got him rather than another top seed.

Ivanovic was good but was another hiding.

Monfils was a great atmosphere with some good tennis.

Saw the last game for Flipkins to win her match and watched Jamie Murray for a wee while too.

The atmosphere for the Lokoli match was nuts throughout. Shame for those that were there that it didn't finish.

PatHead
28-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Glad you enjoyed it. Was it your first time there?

Sounds like you got around plenty of courts.

Ferrer is a bit boring, just keeps returning it.

How were the food/drink prices and did you get to take your own stuff in?

Speedy
28-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Glad you enjoyed it. Was it your first time there?

Sounds like you got around plenty of courts.

Ferrer is a bit boring, just keeps returning it.

How were the food/drink prices and did you get to take your own stuff in?

Aye, first time there.

We had tickets for the main court and could see Flipkins and Lokoli from the entrance balcony. Went to other courts for Watson and Jamie Murray.

Aye, Ferrer was a bit boring to be honest. He was the one I'd least wanted to see of the top guys but you could at least appreciate he was good at playing his game.

You were allowed to take up to 1.5L of water in. Didn't specify rules on food so I'd assume it was ok (there was a huge list of things you couldn't bring in from knives to mini scooters to telescopes) but we had a big breakfast before so didn't take anything in.

It was €13 for a burger king type meal deal: burger, chips and a drink. Was about €3-€4 for a juice/water and the same for chips. Didn't see anywhere selling pints but there was a bar/restaurant that we didn't go in. So doesn't have to break the bank but it would quickly rack up if you had kids there. Had a wee chuckle to myself seeing people pay €32 for one of the big tennis balls you see people get signed.

Speedy
28-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Not looking like a good day for the Williams sisters. Venus out and Serena getting humped as well.

PatHead
28-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Not looking like a good day for the Williams sisters. Venus out and Serena getting humped as well.

Brave man humping Serena, she would eat you alive.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2014, 04:52 PM

I wonder what odds you would have got at the start of the day for a 3rd round clash between Garbine Muguruza and Anna Schmiedlova!?

Venus Williams losing isn't too much of a surprise as she has a lot of injury and illness problems now.

Serena Williams losing is a whole different matter. She is the top seed and was the defending champion.

Losing her and Li Na opens up the draw a lot.

PatHead
28-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I wonder what odds you would have got at the start of the day for a 3rd round clash between Garbine Muguruza and Anna Schmiedlova!?

Venus Williams losing isn't too much of a surprise as she has a lot of injury and illness problems now.

Serena Williams losing is a whole different matter. She is the top seed and was the defending champion.

Losing her and Li Na opens up the draw a lot.

Might open up the draw a bit but will it be a better tournament?

Sir David Gray
28-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Might open up the draw a bit but will it be a better tournament?

Absolutely not. The tv companies and fans want to watch the top players.

Obviously it's nice to hear about a David vs Goliath situation but in general you want to see the top players playing each other.

PatHead
28-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Absolutely not. The tv companies and fans want to watch the top players.

Obviously it's nice to hear about a David vs Goliath situation but in general you want to see the top players playing each other.

My thoughts entirely.

Murray on 3rd tomorrow BTW.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2014, 09:46 PM
My thoughts entirely.

Murray on 3rd tomorrow BTW.

Yeah I saw that, he's followed on that court by Heather Watson so quite a bit of British interest tomorrow.

Murray should be on at aroud 2:30pm.

I would think he'll win that in straight sets.

PatHead
28-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah I saw that, he's followed on that court by Heather Watson so quite a bit of British interest tomorrow.

Murray should be on at aroud 2:30pm.

I would think he'll win that in straight sets.

Kiss of death

Sir David Gray
29-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Murray's just about to start in a few minutes.

Come on Andy!

Sir David Gray
29-05-2014, 02:43 PM
First set to Murray, 6-3.

Currently 3-1 to Murray in the second set, although should be 4-0 as Murray just had 0-40 on Matosevic's serve.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Almost there.

Murray leads 6-3 6-1.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Murray wins 6-3 6-1 6-3.

He plays 28th seed Philipp Kohlschreiber next in the third round.

They've only met once before, which was also on clay four years ago, and Kohlschreiber hammered him 6-2 6-1.

Hopefully won't be a repeat here!

PatHead
29-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Murray wins 6-3 6-1 6-3.

He plays 28th seed Philipp Kohlschreiber next in the third round.

They've only met once before, which was also on clay four years ago, and Kohlschreiber hammered him 6-2 6-1.

Hopefully won't be a repeat here!

Missed the game, take it Murray played well by the score

Has Kohlshreiber done much since that meeting and is it on Saturday?

s.a.m
29-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Saying on the radio that his new coach is rumoured to be Amelie maresmo (speliing ?). Interesting, if so
apologies if already discussed to death elsewhere..

DaveF
29-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Saying on the radio that his new coach is rumoured to be Amelie maresmo (speliing ?). Interesting, if so

Mauresmo? As Murray's coach?

That would be one hell of a left field appointment!

Sir David Gray
29-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Missed the game, take it Murray played well by the score

Has Kohlshreiber done much since that meeting and is it on Saturday?

Yeah, he played well enough. He wasn't really put under much pressure to be honest but the second set in particular was impressive.

Kohlschreiber is a decent player who's never really threatened to win any top events.

If Murray plays at his best, he'll win comfortably but Kohlschreiber is ranked 24th in the world at the moment so he's clearly a dangerous opponent.

I'm going to say Murray in four sets.

And yes it's on Saturday.

Wow. I haven't heard that rumour before.

That would certainly be an interesting choice!

s.a.m
29-05-2014, 05:34 PM
It wasn't clear how solid a rumour it was, but he was certainly saying he had spoken to both men and women for the role, and that he didn't think gender was an issue.

PatHead
30-05-2014, 02:57 PM
It wasn't clear how solid a rumour it was, but he was certainly saying he had spoken to both men and women for the role, and that he didn't think gender was an issue.

Thought it was just because she watched him in the first round the rumour started. Was Navratilova not touted at one stage?

PatHead
30-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Murray on last tomorrow on Lenglen

Speedy
31-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm watching Kvitova & Kuznetsova. Unbelievable Jeff! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
31-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Murray doing his best to make sure he has to come back tomorrow to finish his match.

He was a break up in the fourth set and 2 sets to 1 up but Kohlschreiber got the break back and has now broken Murray again to go 5-4 up and he'll now serve to take it into a decider. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
31-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Kohlschreiber wins the fourth set.

FFS.

Sir David Gray
31-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Murray goes up an early break in the fifth set but Kohlschreiber wins three games in a row and it's Murray who's now a break down. :bitchy:

Sir David Gray
31-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Murray breaks back!

This is unreal.

Speedy
31-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Murray goes up an early break in the fifth set but Kohlschreiber wins three games in a row and it's Murray who's now a break down. :bitchy:

Aye, he's making hard work of this.

Speedy
31-05-2014, 07:10 PM
4-3 Murray now.

Am I right in thinking he'll rise significantly in the rankings after this as he missed the French last year?

Edit: Just checked, looks like he might go up a couple of places at most.

5-4 Murray now

Sir David Gray
31-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Kohlschreiber levels at 7-7 in the fifth set.

Match is called off for the night.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Murray due on at 1215 according to Eurosport.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:32 AM
8-7 Murray.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:34 AM
8 each

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:39 AM
9-8 Murray

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
9 each

PatHead
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
How nerve racking is this? Like watching Hibs

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
10-9 Murray

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Wow! What a forehand by Andy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 11:56 AM
10 each

Speedy
01-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Murray has been very poor on his serve today.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 12:03 PM
11-10 Murray

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Get in there!

PatHead
01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Must admit I am knackered watching that. How do they have the strength to play in it.

Well done Andy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Good 40 odd mins entertainment there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Gulbis beats Federer 3 sets to 2!

Sir David Gray
01-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Didn't catch any of the match today as I was working but that's almost like another set that he played today.

It's good to come out of that sort of situation victorious though.

He'll have another tough one tomorrow against Fernando Verdasco, although the French Open is surprisingly the Grand Slam that Verdasco has done worst at during his career and he has never been past the fourth round at Roland Garros.

Murray can also take confidence from the fact that he has a 9-1 winning head-to-head record against Verdasco and also came from two sets down against him at Wimbledon last year.

He also has a great record against left handers. Apart from Rafael Nadal, Murray hasn't lost to a left hander for over three years, although Verdasco has beaten him at a Grand Slam before.

I'll go for Murray in four sets in that one.

Speedy
01-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I would've picked 3 out of 4 in each today, here's my predictions for tomorrow:

Men

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [1] to beat Dusan Lajovic (SRB)

David Ferrer (ESP) [5] to beat Kevin Anderson (RSA) [19]

Gael Monfils (FRA) [23] to beat Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)

Andy Murray (GBR) [7] to beat Fernando Verdasco (ESP) [24] (almost gave this one to Verdasco)

Women

Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [27] to beat Lucie Safarova (CZE) [23]

Simona Halep (ROU) [4] to beat Sloane Stephens (USA) [15]

Sara Errani (ITA) [10] to beat Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [6]

Andrea Petkovic (GER) [28] to beat Kiki Bertens (NED)

Sir David Gray
01-06-2014, 07:49 PM
I would've picked 3 out of 4 in each today, here's my predictions for tomorrow:

Men

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [1] to beat Dusan Lajovic (SRB)

David Ferrer (ESP) [5] to beat Kevin Anderson (RSA) [19]

Gael Monfils (FRA) [23] to beat Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)

Andy Murray (GBR) [7] to beat Fernando Verdasco (ESP) [24] (almost gave this one to Verdasco)

Women

Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [27] to beat Lucie Safarova (CZE) [23]

Simona Halep (ROU) [4] to beat Sloane Stephens (USA) [15]

Sara Errani (ITA) [10] to beat Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [6]

Andrea Petkovic (GER) [28] to beat Kiki Bertens (NED)

I would agree with all of that, except I may be tempted to go for Garcia-Lopez to beat Monfils. Both men went to five sets in the previous round but Monfils can just be so erratic, it's hard to tell how he'll play.

Whatever happens, I hope it goes the distance as Murray is due to play the winner in the quarter finals, provided he gets past Verdasco of course!

PatHead
01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
How easy a run has Nadal had? Don't think he has played a seed

Sir David Gray
01-06-2014, 09:29 PM
How easy a run has Nadal had? Don't think he has played a seed

He hasn't.

The three seeds he could have played by now were Tommy Haas (retired in the first round), Nicolas Almagro (retired in the first round) and Vasek Pospisil (lost in the first round).

Not a bad draw, having to play Dusan Lajovic, the world number 83, for a place in the quarter finals.

I can't see it being anything other than a Nadal-Djokovic final to be honest.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Murray wins the first set 6-4

PatHead
02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Just switched on the radio coverage. Trying to clear up before I go away to Paris tomorrow. If things stay the same and the weather is okay I should see Nadal v Ferrer as I suspect Monfils would be on the main court. Personally would prefer Murray but not a bad fallback.

Well back to work

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Murray goes 2 sets up, 7-5 in the 2nd set.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2014, 05:37 PM
3rd set tie-break.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2014, 05:43 PM
7-3 Murray. Murray wins the match.

PatHead
02-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Finished up at last. Weather forecast is pants for tomorrow, who knows whom I shall see if anyone.

Sir David Gray
02-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Finished up at last. Weather forecast is pants for tomorrow, who knows whom I shall see if anyone.

Fingers crossed any rain will pass over quickly.

The play won't start until 2pm local time so plenty of time for all the showers to fall in the morning.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
What a racket Sharapova makes! pardon the pun! :-)

Sir David Gray
03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Big breakthrough for Ernests Gulbis as he makes the semi finals of a Grand Slam for the first time after defeating Tomas Berdych quite convincingly today.

I can't see him going any further though as he now plays Novak Djokovic after beat Milos Raonic in straight sets.

The other two quarter finals are played tomorrow with Andy Murray taking on Gael Monfils and Rafael Nadal facing David Ferrer.

Both matches are due to start around 3:30pm, although the start may be delayed as the forecast for tomorrow is pretty grim.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Murray wins the first set 6-4

De ja vu!

Onceinawhile
04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
3-0 up in the second. Its on itv4 if anyone wants to watch.

Onceinawhile
04-06-2014, 05:35 PM
5-0 so murray really should win the second

Onceinawhile
04-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Rafa a set down!

jodjam
04-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Irvine welsh tweets on murrays match are very funny

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Murray takes the 2nd set 6-1

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Monfils being a bit more competitive in the 2nd set but still fancy Murray finishing things off in straight sets.

Nadal now at one set all.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Monfils being a bit more competitive in the 2nd set but still fancy Murray finishing things off in straight sets.

Nadal now at one set all.

Monfils takes the 3rd set.

Should have kept my mouth shut!

Nadal goes 2 sets to 1 up after winning the 3rd set 6-0!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2014, 07:18 PM
What a pumping Murray is taking in this 4th set.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Hopefully play will be suspended now.

Monfils will win this if it's not stopped.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Hopefully play will be suspended now.

Monfils will win this if it's not stopped.

5th set is starting now.

Bad news for Murray.

Onceinawhile
04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Murray breaks to go 2-0 up.

always the difficult way ffs.

Onceinawhile
04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
3-0. Just needs to hold his serves.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Monfils has just fallen to pieces!

Quite incredible.

DarrenSQH
04-06-2014, 07:39 PM
5-0

Get that up you Monfils

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Get in! 6-0 Murray.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Murray wins 6-4 6-1 4-6 1-6 6-0.

Amazing!!

Plays Nadal in the semis.

DarrenSQH
04-06-2014, 07:43 PM
The shouldn't have made him angry!

heretoday
04-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Monfils lost his discipline completely. In the end Murray played at full tilt to get the job done before nightfall.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
If tomorrow's order of play is anything to go by for Friday then the first semi will start at around 2pm our time and then the second match afterwards, probably starting around 4:30-5pm.

I finish at 5pm on Friday so hopefully Murray-Nadal will be the second match. :pray:

Speedy
04-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Very strange match.

Is that Murray up to 5th in the rankings now?

Is it Wimbledon that adjusts the seeding? Avoiding Nadal and Djokovic would be a huge help.

scoopyboy
04-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Very strange match.

Is it Wimbledon that adjusts the seeding? Avoiding Nadal and Djokovic would be a huge help.

He will jump above Del Potro, Berdych and Ferrer and go up to 5th as you say.

Should he finish runner up he will climb to 4th and should he win it he will climb to 3rd.

Wimbledon seeds go by a mixture of the ATP rankings and the last two seasons on grass. Murray has been in the last two Wimbledon finals, winning one and has also won the run up to Wimbledon tournament the last two years. I think he will be 3 or 4 which means he can't face the big two until the semis.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Very strange match.

Yeah, Wimbledon adjust the seedings to reflect recent performances on grass.

Considering he won Queen's and Wimbledon last year and also got to the final of Wimbledon in 2012, I would have thought he'll be seeded possibly 3rd or 4th at Wimbledon this year.

And that would mean he would avoid facing Nadal and Djokovic until at least the semi finals.

I'm not sure where that will put Murray now in the rankings but 5th sounds about right.

He was 8th going into the French Open and considering he has managed to reach at least the semi finals after having no points to defend from last year then I think he will rise quite a few places.

Del Potro (who is 7th) didn't play at all this year due to injury and Ferrer (who is 5th) only managed a quarter final place after getting to the final last year so he will lose points. Federer will also lose points as he got to the quarter finals last year but only reached the last 16 this year.

PatHead
05-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Well that was some match. Trig remind me to never take a tip from you, think you got it all wrong. For a long spell didn't think I would see anything but was well worth the wait. Needless to say lovely here today!

Oh well back tomorrow in time for the meeting with Leeann and protest.

Bet you it is raining.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Well that was some match. Trig remind me to never take a tip from you, think you got it all wrong. For a long spell didn't think I would see anything but was well worth the wait. Needless to say lovely here today!

Oh well back tomorrow in time for the meeting with Leeann and protest.

Bet you it is raining.

Glad you enjoyed your day!

It's supposed to be lovely in Scotland tomorrow.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Maria Sharapova into the women's final after coming from behind to beat Eugenie Bouchard 4-6 7-5 6-2.

She'll play either Simona Halep or Andrea Petkovic in Saturday's final.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2014, 04:41 PM
The first semi probably lasted longer than mine! :-o

Very enjoyable viewing.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 04:42 PM
The first semi probably lasted longer than mine! :-o

Very enjoyable viewing.

Yep it was a good match although that's probably not what you were alluding to! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Sharapova will play Simona Halep in the final after she beat Andrea Petkovic 6-2 7-6.

Halep had only ever won one match at the French Open prior to this year's tournament and had never been beyond the quarter finals in any Grand Slam either so this is a huge breakthrough for her.

Sharapova, on the other hand, is full of experience at that level. However she was far from convincing today against Bouchard so it will be interesting to see what happens here.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Gutted with the schedule for tomorrow.

Gulbis v Djokovic starts at 12pm so the chances are, Murray v Nadal will be on around 2:30-3pm.

I highly doubt I'll see any of this.

I won't even see the final either. :boo hoo:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Yep it was a good match although that's probably not what you were alluding to! :greengrin

Who won? :tee hee:

Sir David Gray
05-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Who won? :tee hee:

Highlights are on Eurosport right now if you want a reminder! :greengrin

Hibee87
06-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Gulbis wins the 3rd set. currently 2 set to 1 for Djokovic.......wonder if this can go the distance and let me get home to catch the majority of the murray match

easty
06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Nadal looks well the favourite here. Murray not playing particularly badly, but Rafas just too good.

Sir David Gray
06-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Didn't catch any of the match today due to work but it was a disappointing result for Murray.

I think everyone thought Nadal would win today but for Murray to only manage to take six games off him is a hammering.

He's capable of that though. You don't win eight titles in nine years if you're not a world class player.

Predictable outcome for the final. I don't think anyone can complain about Djokovic facing Nadal in yet another Grand Slam final. They're easily the two best players in the world right now.

Djokovic is facing Nadal in the final of the French Open for the second time after Nadal came out on top in 2012.

He's also trying to do what only one man has managed to do in 66 previous attempts and beat Nadal at Roland Garros.

Speedy
06-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Sharapova will play Simona Halep in the final after she beat Andrea Petkovic 6-2 7-6.

Halep had only ever won one match at the French Open prior to this year's tournament and had never been beyond the quarter finals in any Grand Slam either so this is a huge breakthrough for her.

Sharapova, on the other hand, is full of experience at that level. However she was far from convincing today against Bouchard so it will be interesting to see what happens here.

Halep was a class or two above when I saw her. She's sailed through pretty muxh every round.

Hope she wins it.

Sir David Gray
06-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Halep was a class or two above when I saw her. She's sailed through pretty muxh every round.

Hope she wins it.

Yeah Halep looked good from what I saw too.

I can see her winning tomorrow, particularly if Sharapova struggles with her serve like she did in the semis.

Sir David Gray
07-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Maria Sharapova won her fifth Grand Slam title and second French Open title after a three set victory over Simona Halep.

I wonder if that can spur her on to win a second Wimbledon title now. It's been 12 years since a woman last won the French Open and Wimbledon back-to-back but she must be one of the favourites to lift the title four weeks from now.

PatHead
08-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Nadal is King of Clay again. I was not aware of how few slams he had won outwith RG.

..................and what about Murray's new coach?

Sir David Gray
08-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Nadal is King of Clay again. I was not aware of how few slams he had won outwith RG.

Didn't catch the match today due to work but I'm not surprised in the slightest by the result.

Nadal's record at the French Open is just ridiculously good. To have only lost once in 67 matches over 10 separate years is just phenomenal. I say this hesitantly but I don't think that we'll see anyone else win nine titles at a single Grand Slam for many decades, if at all.

Nadal's only just turned 28 as well and given how dominant he is on clay, I can see him winning the French Open for the next two or three years.

Although on the face of it, it is a little bit surprising that Nadal hasn't won the others very much, if he wins the Australian Open again in his career, he'll become the first man in the Open Era (since 1968) to win all 4 majors at least twice.

Roger Federer is also one away from doing it but he needs to win the French Open again and that's not very likely.

It will be interesting to see how Nadal does at Wimbledon this year, given his early exits in the previous two years.

hibsbollah
09-06-2014, 06:23 PM

She was always my favourite womens player of recent years, seemed to outthink her opponents to win matches. Murray was speaking very well on the radio the other day about getting a calmer presence on his team. He must see something in her that he likes.