PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Islam Feruz

hfc rd
23-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Apparently a rumour flying around that he has decided to turn his back on Scotland and doesn't want to be considered for selection. Shame as I think he has a bright future ahead of him. Has represented the national team at all youth levels from U16's right up to the U21's. Has looked very good for the Chelsea reserves/U21's this past season. Won't be surprised to see if England come calling and snap him up.

Pretty Boy
23-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Think that was inevitable as soon as he went to Chelsea tbh.

The lads got bags of talent and he'll have English players and fans in his ear all the time telling him he's better off playing for them.

Onceinawhile
23-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Read that in the Metro this morning, he's refused his call up for the games.

However, it also said that he now can't switch. I know that certainly nowadays you need to have played a first team game to have "cemented" your nationality, but that wasn't always the case, so maybe he can't change?

easty
23-05-2014, 11:14 AM
It's up to him. He wasn't born in Scotland and if he doesn't class himself as Scottish I have no problem with that. Seems like a really good prospect though.

I'm far more annoyed with the likes of James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady not representing their own country.

Hibs Class
23-05-2014, 11:15 AM
It's up to him. He wasn't born in Scotland and if he doesn't class himself as Scottish I have no problem with that. Seems like a really good prospect though.

I'm far more annoyed with the likes of James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady not representing their own country.

:agree: That's how I see it too.

roryg
23-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Looks like we've lost a great, talented young lad. Pity!!

.Sean.
23-05-2014, 11:34 AM
He comes across as a bit of a bellend tbh.

I'm no Celtic supporter but after all the club done for him he should've shown them far more loyalty.

Haymaker
23-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Shame.

hibIBZ
23-05-2014, 11:55 AM
He comes across as a bit of a bellend tbh.

I'm no Celtic supporter but after all the club done for him he should've shown them far more loyalty.

This. He seems to think he is special. If he doesn't want to play that's his problem, good luck to him but he does seem to have a bad attitude esp after being hooked against England last year

hfc rd
23-05-2014, 12:01 PM
This. He seems to think he is special. If he doesn't want to play that's his problem, good luck to him but he does seem to have a bad attitude esp after being hooked against England last year

What happened against England?

Weststandwanab
23-05-2014, 12:05 PM

I agree shocking decisions IMO

Future17
23-05-2014, 12:07 PM
My understanding is that the rules that allowed him to play for Scotland wouldn't have allowed him to play for England anyway, as it was the "5 years education" rule or something like that.

Will be interesting to hear the full story - no point judging him on what little has been reported so far.

I suppose if, for example, someone lives in Somalia for 10 years, in Scotland for 6 years and in England for 4 years, there's no real reason to expect that he would consider himself Scottish. Of course, considering yourself Scottish and wanting to play international football for Scotland may well be two very different things. Only Islam Feruz knows the truth.

hibIBZ
23-05-2014, 12:19 PM
What happened against England?

I believe he was hooked early in a 6-0 defeat and wasn't very happy about it. Has since refuses 2 separate call ups

SaulGoodman
23-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I believe he was hooked early in a 6-0 defeat and wasn't very happy about it. Has since refuses 2 separate call ups

I would give my left nut to play for Scotland and this big headed fanny refuses? **** him.

Ozyhibby
23-05-2014, 12:42 PM
My understanding is that the rules that allowed him to play for Scotland wouldn't have allowed him to play for England anyway, as it was the "5 years education" rule or something like that.

Will be interesting to hear the full story - no point judging him on what little has been reported so far.

I suppose if, for example, someone lives in Somalia for 10 years, in Scotland for 6 years and in England for 4 years, there's no real reason to expect that he would consider himself Scottish. Of course, considering yourself Scottish and wanting to play international football for Scotland may well be two very different things. Only Islam Feruz knows the truth.

Although you might expect a bit of gratitude for the country that took his family in and provided schooling etc, not to mention all the coaching he had from SFA trained coaches.

Itsnoteasy
23-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Apparently a rumour flying around that he has decided to turn his back on Scotland and doesn't want to be considered for selection. Shame as I think he has a bright future ahead of him. Has represented the national team at all youth levels from U16's right up to the U21's. Has looked very good for the Chelsea reserves/U21's this past season. Won't be surprised to see if England come calling and snap him up.

That was after Scotland fought for him to stay in the country and not be deported. Now he is above himself and forgets where he came from. Sounds a bit like the Mo Farah situation to me.

easty
23-05-2014, 12:53 PM
That was after Scotland fought for him to stay in the country and not be deported. Now he is above himself and forgets where he came from. Sounds a bit like the Mo Farah situation to me.

Who was trying to kick him out Scotland when Scotland fought for him to stay?

And what about this is similar to the Mo Farah situation?

blaikie
23-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't think he would make the grade for the full Scotland or England squad, far too lightweight and not enough talent to compensate. Plus what you read online his attitude isn't exactly great. Would love to be proved wrong but he isn't going to make it the way some people think.

Deeklipse
23-05-2014, 01:11 PM

That he is from Somalia. Erm that's it.

CropleyWasGod
23-05-2014, 01:12 PM
That he is from Somalia. Erm that's it.

Yup.

Bloody foreigners coming over here, taking our jobs.

easty
23-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Yup.

Bloody foreigners coming over here, taking our jobs.

http://youtu.be/brj2UkUPjCI

Nutmegged
23-05-2014, 04:54 PM
I remember reading a while ago that Chelsea might be looking to let Islam go, if thats the case then I think the boy himself might see this Honk Kong tourney as the last chance saloon for him at Chelsea, a final throw of the dice to save his Chelsea career, if that's the case then I've no real problem with him pulling out of the squad

magpie1892
23-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I remember reading a while ago that Chelsea might be looking to let Islam go

I read something similar but it had quotes from an 'unnamed' Chelsea coach saying that he was going to get launched for not being good enough, being lazy, bad timekeeping, suspect attitude - just a bit of a twat all round really, with ideas well above his station.

Obviously I hate Celtic with a passion but he treated them appallingly. What goes around, etc.

Sir David Gray
23-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Another reason why I don't think the schooling rule works.

The only country you should be eligible to play for should be the country of your birth or the country of birth of either of your parents.

That way, there's no grey areas.

Scott Allan Key
23-05-2014, 06:35 PM
It seems his head is easily turned. I understood he is swayed by wanting to play in African Nations like some of his fellow team-mates. It's not easy being black in Scotland and he may feel more at home in a more welcoming metropolis like London. His attitude does seem to be a problem too, but like other posters, I'm more disappointed that Scots born and bred players refuse to play than those with transitory roots here who can choose who they want to play for as far as I care.

bingo70
23-05-2014, 06:41 PM

The only country you should be eligible to play for should be the country of your birth or the country of birth of either of your parents.

So a family could move across here with a young child who grows up in this country, considers himself Scottish wouldn't be eligible to play for Scotland because he spent the first year or two of his life in another country?

I would find that a bit harsh and there's bound to be a time that comes up, especially with the amount of eastern Europeans that moved across here over the last few years.

I know it's a different sport but that might be the case with Elena baltacha, by your logic I don't think she would have been able to represent Britain. (Apologies if I got her situation wrong but think I read she was 2 when her dad joined st johnstone)

Eyrie
23-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Disagree because if a kid receives his entire education, including how to play football, in Scotland then surely he is a Scottish product and entitled to repay that education by representing us? In that scenario they would have more affinity with Scotland than with a country that they only lived in for a couple of years as a baby.

stoneyburn hibs
23-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I would give my left nut to play for Scotland and this big headed fanny refuses? **** him.

This, clearly his head has been turned. He can do one and I hope he represents no country.

MrHibs1982
23-05-2014, 08:07 PM
From what I believe the 3 options available to him are Somalia, Tanzania & Zanzibar...hardly footballing giants and none of which have done as much for him as Scotland and none are anywhere near as good as us either!

bingo70
23-05-2014, 08:13 PM
From what I believe the 3 options available to him are Somalia, Tanzania & Zanzibar...hardly footballing giants and none of which have done as much for him as Scotland and none are anywhere near as good as us either!

Could he not choose another country in Britain as technically speaking he was educated in the United kingdom, rather than it being just schooled in Scotland?

VivaHiberņa
23-05-2014, 08:34 PM

If he considers himself Somalian then it's his right (some would even say "duty") to play for them. I for example consider myself Scottish first and Spanish second; I'm still waiting on that call from Mr del Bosque but he could end up disappointed, World Cup or not.

Could he not choose another country in Britain as technically speaking he was educated in the United kingdom, rather than it being just schooled in Scotland?

I think the home nations have an agreement of sorts that they won't do that.

yekimevol
23-05-2014, 08:47 PM
If he doesn't want to play for Scotland then he doesn't deserve it.

Scottie
23-05-2014, 08:57 PM
There seems to be a common denominator in why so many Scottish kids (or educated here) choose no to play for our country and that's the SFA. When you think o the likes of McGeady and McCarthy and longer ago Ray Houghton.
Seemingly they are all happy to play under 15-17-21s then when it's the big step up to the senior squad they feel ignored or forgotten about by the SFA.
Maybe that's why we have so many English players past and present in about the national squad.

MrHibs1982
24-05-2014, 10:16 AM
There seems to be a common denominator in why so many Scottish kids (or educated here) choose no to play for our country and that's the SFA. When you think o the likes of McGeady and McCarthy and longer ago Ray Houghton.
Seemingly they are all happy to play under 15-17-21s then when it's the big step up to the senior squad they feel ignored or forgotten about by the SFA.
Maybe that's why we have so many English players past and present in about the national squad.

Although I was not happy with Aiden & James jumping ship - they never played for our youth set up and I believe especially for McGreedy that was a major part of the problem...never once selected for a youth set up!

BoltonHibee
24-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I read something similar but it had quotes from an 'unnamed' Chelsea coach saying that he was going to get launched for not being good enough, being lazy, bad timekeeping, suspect attitude - just a bit of a twat all round really, with ideas well above his station.

Obviously I hate Celtic with a passion but he treated them appallingly. What goes around, etc.

I've seen him a few times this past season, Chelsea have some fantastic youngsters in the U20/U21 squad..... I wouldn't say he was one of them. Lightweight, small in comparison and not a great work ethic. Would be surprised if he was there much longer

Itsnoteasy
24-05-2014, 01:09 PM

The government. He was an asylum seeker just like Mohammed.