PDA

View Full Version : Weather last night

HIBEETILLIDIE
22-05-2014, 03:55 PM
If ever there was an advert for summer football, it was surely last night. A pleasure to wander up to the ground in Hibs top and sit in the sunshine, not wrapped up like a north pole explorer! :aok:

Jack Hackett
22-05-2014, 04:08 PM
If ever there was an advert for summer football, it was surely last night. A pleasure to wander up to the ground in Hibs top and sit in the sunshine, not wrapped up like a north pole explorer! :aok:

That thought struck me as I was watching it on the tellybox. It was a bit miserable down here on the south coast, and a real pick-me-up to watch the Hibby support frolicking in the sunshine. I was at the evening game in Gibraltar last summer and it was magic.

hibsbollah
22-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I was sporting my shades until the start of the second half, when I reluctantly had to admit it was getting dark :greengrin

It felt cool to be a Hibby last night.

Cameron1875
22-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Was so warm I opted to leave my jacket on the supporters bus.

Braw day and sure beats turning up mid january to watch a 0-0, praying you can make it to full time haha

Sean1875
22-05-2014, 04:42 PM
watched the whole match in shorts and a tshirt, just added to the great night!

down-the-slope
22-05-2014, 04:45 PM
and todays weather 7oC and wet after yesterdays 20oC......no point setting matches by the calendar as the weather will just do its own thing...

Sir David Gray
22-05-2014, 09:25 PM
and todays weather 7oC and wet after yesterdays 20oC......no point setting matches by the calendar as the weather will just do its own thing...

:agree: Stepped outside this morning expecting more of the same after yesterday's temperatures and it was baltic.

Waste of time trying to arrange summer football in Scotland.

greenlex
22-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Equi's ice cream pre match. Braw. Have ti say Id still do that mid winter!!!

IWasThere2016
22-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I would have Summer fitba tomorrow tbh. We have a generation that are saft - dbl glazing, GCH etc

My kids hate the cold and would attend more games.

DTS
23-05-2014, 10:39 AM
There's just something about summer football that doesn't appeal to me. Would rather have no football in summer than winter. Would lose fixtures like new year derbys and Boxing Day games

Sir David Gray
23-05-2014, 10:49 AM
There's just something about summer football that doesn't appeal to me. Would rather have no football in summer than winter. Would lose fixtures like new year derbys and Boxing Day games

:agree: The winter's bad enough without having any football to go to.

There's lots of other things to do in the summer and people are away on holiday in the summer as well so may be even less inclined to buy a season ticket if they know that they might miss four or five games every season due to being on holiday, attending other activities etc.

It's a no from me.

Plus, as you say, I would miss the traditional Christmas and New Year schedule.

BH Hibs
23-05-2014, 11:06 AM

That throws up an interesting question. Without wanting to count chickens who would we play in the new year match next season

DTS
23-05-2014, 11:13 AM
That throws up an interesting question. Without wanting to count chickens who would we play in the new year match next season

Whoever we got on the fixture list and would probably be on the 3rd

Sir David Gray
23-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Probably Inverness away.

DTS
23-05-2014, 11:15 AM
:agree: The winter's bad enough without having any football to go to.

There's lots of other things to do in the summer and people are away on holiday in the summer as well so may be even less inclined to buy a season ticket if they know that they might miss four or five games every season due to being on holiday, attending other activities etc.

It's a no from me.

Plus, as you say, I would miss the traditional Christmas and New Year schedule.
Yeah for example this summer I'd miss 4/5 game weekends due to holidays etc

cabbageandribs1875
23-05-2014, 12:45 PM
weather not looking too good for sunday

The Sea-gull
23-05-2014, 12:56 PM

If we stay up, the New Year fixture list will probably be along the lines of:-

Celtic v Partick
Dundee v Dundee United
St Johnstone v Aberdeen
Inverness v Ross County
St Mirren v Kilmarnock
Hibs v Motherwell

If we go down, Hamilton will replace us v Motherwell which coincidently is obviously a local derby. They might have Dundee or Dundee United playing Aberdeen and the other Dundee team playing St Johnstone as I believe that Dundee v Aberdeen is actually considered to be the traditional new year fixture due to Dundee United not really being a regular top division team until the 60s/70s and of course in more recent years it has become Dundee United v Aberdeen with Dundee being absent from the league quite a lot.

Alfred E Newman
23-05-2014, 02:13 PM
:agree: Stepped outside this morning expecting more of the same after yesterday's temperatures and it was baltic.

Waste of time trying to arrange summer football in Scotland.

Working outside this morning. Vest back on, wooly hat and fleece. It was warmer in March!!

silverhibee
23-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Probably Inverness away.

More like Ross County away. :greengrin

Jumbo
23-05-2014, 04:13 PM
More like Ross County away. :greengrin

Nah, that one's on Boxing Day 😢

VivaHiberņa
23-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Could we go for the pagan approach and have a Mid-Summer's Day/Eve derby?

You're right though, could you imagine November/December with no football? It would be hellish. Anyway, it feels like a bit of treat when you go the football in good weather, wearing shorts at a match always has a bit of a novelty factor about it. I'm far too easily excited. :greengrin

seanshow
24-05-2014, 10:33 PM
I would prefer to avoid most of January plus February and March when it can be bitterly cold and not enjoyable for the players on crap pitches and fans freezing in the stands.
A season that ran from April to Early January next year would be my idea of summer football, purely based on the pitches being at there best.
.......but it's out of sync with most other leagues and european football in general, so it will never happen.