PDA

View Full Version : What tactics do Hibs play on Sunday?

PatHead
22-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Do we play 2 up front as in the first half or 4 1 4 1 and keep it tight? The problem with the latter is that we could lose a goal and the momentum. The problem with the first is that we could lose the midfield...

Which should we go or?

SeanWilson
22-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Do we play 2 up front as in the first half or 4 1 4 1 and keep it tight? The problem with the latter is that we could lose a goal and the momentum. The problem with the first is that we could lose the midfield...

Which should we go or?

Having seen them manage most of the game away from home with 442, i think they have to go at them with the same formation at ER. I just think that if we switch out Harris for Thomson, we will keep much more of the ball in the midfield and that having the Heff up top made a huge difference to Cummings ability to get on the ball.

FromTheCapital
22-05-2014, 09:09 AM
4-5-1 with the same team that started but potentially Thomson in for Harris and move Robertson out wide. We looked more dangerous in the second half with Heffernan lurking around, Cummings driving at them on the left and Craig, Robertson etc making the runs from midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
22-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I would swap Thomson for Stanton and the rest the same. Go at it early doors and treat it as a completely separate game as we will score against them. If they score then be a bit more cagey IMO.

500miles
22-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I'd stick with the same team. They can't come at us any harder than they did in the second half, and I never really felt uncomfortable.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Football manager crew out in force :greengrin

Gustavo Fring
22-05-2014, 11:30 AM
same formation , cairney in for harris and jones in for stanton

Jones28
22-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Play to win, Harris out for Cairney. Score first and it's game over.

Sammy7nil
22-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I would swap Thomson for Stanton and the rest the same. Go at it early doors and treat it as a completely separate game as we will score against them. If they score then be a bit more cagey IMO.

Really ?
Harris should be no where near the team on his recent performances

Bishop Hibee
22-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Cairney is rubbish and shouldn't get a new contract. Same team and formation as the second half for me.

Brightside
22-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Really ?

He will play on Sunday. He isnt playing with confidence at the moment, but his simply movement off the ball means that very little was coming at Maybury. I dont think he will change the team. KT will come off the bench for Robertson - 2nd half.

Gustavo Fring
22-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Cairney is rubbish and shouldn't get a new contract. Same team and formation as the second half for me.

im not sayin he should get a new contract , id just rather see him start then bring on harris early 2nd half

steakbake
22-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Football manager crew out in force :greengrin

I'd go with a winger who has at least 75 for pace and maybe make sure we have a midfield general in there too.

Michael
22-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Same as before I think. Maybe someone in for Harris. Don't mess with a winning team though!

Onion
22-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Think Butcher will go back to 4-5-1 - a formation that has failed countless times. Hamilton will try to push forward to get the first goal, Hibs will try suffocate the game and hit on the break.

I see the Hamilton manager and players have already started their mind-games in the press - just as they did before last night. Really hope they keep it up, as it will stop the Hibs players getting complacent. IMO their very public bravado (10-2, Hibs can't defend, Hibs can't score blah blah) is doing Butcher's job for him.

Onion
22-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Same as before I think. Maybe someone in for Harris. Don't mess with a winning team though!

That's a good shout. Butcher hasn't had that problem in a while :green grin

The starting 11 last night all gave honest performances and showed they care. Butcher knows he can trust them.

silverhibee
22-05-2014, 12:25 PM
If everyone is fit for Sunday then i hope Butcher plays the same team, infact i'm pretty sure he will, there will be no cameo rolls for players out of contract in the summer so you can rule out Thomson Cairney and McPake coming in to the team on Sunday.

MrRobot
22-05-2014, 12:34 PM
McPake in for Nelson
Cairney or Haynes in for Harris
Thomson for Craig and Stanton switches to the left

Team of

Williams
Maybury McPake McGivern Stevenson
Cairney/Hayes Thomson Robertson Stanton
Heffernan Cummings

Attack and try to win by a high margin.

jacomo
22-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Having seen them manage most of the game away from home with 442, i think they have to go at them with the same formation at ER. I just think that if we switch out Harris for Thomson, we will keep much more of the ball in the midfield and that having the Heff up top made a huge difference to Cummings ability to get on the ball.

:agree: Makes sense to me.

JimBHibees
22-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Really ?

Yep really he is one of the few that gives us some pace though he isnt playing well he is capable. Didnt think he was that bad yesterday though frustrating in parts much like the rest of the team.

MrRobot
22-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Yep really he is one of the few that gives us some pace though he isnt playing well he is capable. Didnt think he was that bad yesterday though frustrating in parts much like the rest of the team.

TBH I really like Harris, but even I thought he was terrible yesterday. Maybe a wider pitch and on grass will help but he really swhould been subbed by 60mins last night. I really hope he gets his confidence to go past a player back.

TornadoHibby
22-05-2014, 01:45 PM
4-5-1 with the same team that started but potentially Thomson in for Harris and move Robertson out wide. We looked more dangerous in the second half with Heffernan lurking around, Cummings driving at them on the left and Craig, Robertson etc making the runs from midfield.

:top marks

Robertson beside Thomson in CM and Stanton out to RM! :agree:

I'd put Forster in for Nelson who could easily have cost us 2 or 3 goals last night if Williams hadn't been on form! :agree:

At least Forster has pace and has some ability with the ball at his feet, neither of which Nelson has! :agree:

Their forwards mainly play the ball on the deck at pace if last night is anything to go by! :agree:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-05-2014, 01:45 PM
I'd go with a winger who has at least 75 for pace and maybe make sure we have a midfield general in there too.

:fishin:

stoneyburn hibs
22-05-2014, 01:54 PM
We have to start with two strikers.
Be positive and get onto the front foot from the start.
Going with only one will give them hope imo.

southsider
22-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Do not under threat of death loose an early goal. If, however, we score one then it is game over.

heretoday
22-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Attack, attack, attack. Keep the ball as far away from our defence as possible.

hibbysam
22-05-2014, 02:27 PM

We played 442 yesterday 1st half and I said that's why we struggled to get a hold of the game first half. We got a break with the goal and Butcher realised that and put JC to left midfield second half. Hamilton had the extra man in the middle and played around us too much. I'd go with Heffernan up on his own on Sunday with Thomson sitting, Robertson Craig Stanton Cummings in front of him letting Cummings Robertson and Craig to get forward and support and let Stanton do what he does best and that is use his energy and confidence on the ball to make things happen. If Hamilton start on Sunday with a 442 then our line up can change to match up with them.

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 02:39 PM
I'd love to see Harris played in behind Heffernan. Get him running at there central defenders. Could also drift out wide and double up on there full backs. Just a wee thought... :thumbsup:

lumbo_hfc
22-05-2014, 05:46 PM

Which should we go or?I think we have more chance of conceding a goal if we play 442, as has been evident most times we have played it this season. 4141 with the right players supporting heffernan when we have the ball could well work, especially at home on the big pitch where most teams boss the midfield because we have no legs in the team (except maybe robertson)

I'd love to see Harris played in behind Heffernan. Get him running at there central defenders. Could also drift out wide and double up on there full backs. Just a wee thought... :thumbsup: said that last night aswell, doesn't seem to be able to go on the outside of a player, so either play him off a forward, picking up the ball and running at a slow hamilton defence (not gonna happen though) or on the left (where he has played his best game for hibs) cutting inside and getting stevenson supporting on the outside.

If he plays liam craig on left of a 4 on sunday i might just walk out there and then. Thought he was really good in the 2nd half last night when moved inside of a 5 and able to get forward and pick passes.

I would go 4-1-4-1... Same goalie and defence, Thomson sitting, robertson right, craig and stanton centre, cummings left and heff upfront, providing he gets support from all midfield

--------
22-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Which should we go or?

Tactics? We should play tactics?

We haven't done that for years. Not since Mowbray's time IIRC. :rolleyes:

Ryan91
22-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Play an attacking formation and look to score first and really put the tie beyond doubt. If Accies score first though, Park the Bus.

22-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Go out and play as if it's still 0-0, go out to win. If we sit back and assume the tie is all done and dusted and allow them to come onto us then it's gonna head for disaster!

TheFamous1875
22-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Maybe we could play the tie with a 4-4-2 diamond? It could be a good way of dominating the midfield, taking pressure off the defence and also supporting the attack. We can also revert back to 4-1-4-1, with Cummings on one wing and Craig/Stanton on the other.

Williams.

Maybury. Nelson. McGivern. Stevenson.

Thomson.
Robertson. Craig.
Stanton.

Cummings. Heffernan.

Thomson gives us some much needed composure in the centre of the park and you could swap Stanton and Craig - this keeps everyone in their right positions and ensures an attacking impetus backed up by a reliable and composed CDM in front of the precarious centre-half pairing of Nelson and McGivern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheFamous1875
22-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Edit

FromTheCapital
22-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Williams
Maybury
Nelson
McGivern
Stevenson
Robertson
Stanton
Thomson
Craig
Cummings
Heffernan

4-5-1 same as 2nd half but Harris out for Thomson and could either replace Nelson or Maybury with Forster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
23-05-2014, 06:04 AM
We played 442 yesterday 1st half and I said that's why we struggled to get a hold of the game first half. We got a break with the goal and Butcher realised that and put JC to left midfield second half. Hamilton had the extra man in the middle and played around us too much. I'd go with Heffernan up on his own on Sunday with Thomson sitting, Robertson Craig Stanton Cummings in front of him letting Cummings Robertson and Craig to get forward and support and let Stanton do what he does best and that is use his energy and confidence on the ball to make things happen. If Hamilton start on Sunday with a 442 then our line up can change to match up with them.

with the confidence of Wednesday, our team will beat Hamilton in a 442 match up. Stick Thomo in for a bit of grit and composure and we will do fine with two up.

If we play the usual 451 pish I reckon it wont be long before the defence retreats, draws countless attacks and ships a goal, which ruins the confidence and causes a huge shift towards squeeky bum time.

Having said all of this, I couldnae give a toss so long as we get the result.

Forza Fred
23-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Only change I'd make would be Haynes for Harris, although change would be marginal.

We need to go at them straight from the start and defend in THEIR half.

They are not great at defending and an early goal for us will kill the tie.

On the other hand our defence is Tom Kite so to sit back would be suicidal.

Ronniekirk
23-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Maybe we could play the tie with a 4-4-2 diamond? It could be a good way of dominating the midfield, taking pressure off the defence and also supporting the attack. We can also revert back to 4-1-4-1, with Cummings on one wing and Craig/Stanton on the other.

Williams.

Maybury. Nelson. McGivern. Stevenson.

Thomson.
Robertson. Craig.
Stanton.

Cummings. Heffernan.

Thomson gives us some much needed composure in the centre of the park and you could swap Stanton and Craig - this keeps everyone in their right positions and ensures an attacking impetus backed up by a reliable and composed CDM in front of the precarious centre-half pairing of Nelson and McGivern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think that looks good but did he not try the diamond formation up at Perth and it was a disaster with hardly any shots on goal although some key changes in personnel from that game so might do the trick this time Scotland and Niel will play from start for accies as they go for that early goal so he needs system that can deal with that but look to hit them on break

ALF TUPPER
23-05-2014, 07:12 AM

:aok: Agree with this. Wouldnt tinker about any more though. Its a winning team after all :greengrin

hibbysam
23-05-2014, 08:47 AM
with the confidence of Wednesday, our team will beat Hamilton in a 442 match up. Stick Thomo in for a bit of grit and composure and we will do fine with two up.

If we play the usual 451 pish I reckon it wont be long before the defence retreats, draws countless attacks and ships a goal, which ruins the confidence and causes a huge shift towards squeeky bum time.

I'm guessing you didn't watch on Wednesday night then?

First half we played 442 and we were very poor, they had 2 or 3 good chances, our midfield were overrun and we scored against the run of play purely from a great strike!

Second half TB changed things to 451 and we got a grip of the game. Our midfielders got forward to help heffernan and our defence didn't drop deeper until the last 5 where we held on. If you have attackers in the 5 man midfield there instinct is to get forward when we have the ball and having Thomson to put his foot on the ball and feed our wingers and Stanton helps massively!

Pray4Marc
23-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Hooooofff

erin go bragh
23-05-2014, 09:23 AM
McPake in for Nelson
Cairney or Haynes in for Harris
Thomson for Craig and Stanton switches to the left

Team of

Williams
Maybury McPake McGivern Stevenson
Cairney/Hayes Thomson Robertson Stanton
Heffernan Cummings

Attack and try to win by a high margin.

No way will TB not play Nelson and Mcgivern At centre half after our first clean sheet in months . Barring injury . Hope he plays Thomson , with Harris dropping out . Robertson playing on the right .crowd get right behind the team from the off just like Wednesday and we can get the result we need .

Ggtth

MyJo
23-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Same team but put Stanton out at right midfield in place of Harris. Stanton is one of the few players in the team capable of dribbling with the ball and taking it past a man so use that skill out wide and get balls into the box.

Thomson in the middle protecting the back 4 and controlling the middle of the park

The Sea-gull
23-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Got to play at a decent tempo without going too gung ho. The tie is far from over but we are in a decent position and have something to protect.

We don't want to be all over them for the first 30 mins without scoring as that will give them confidence and sap ours. We have seen that movie a lot this season.

The only change from Wed night I would make is dropping Harris. He's had a few chances now but never quite convinces. I think Fenlon and Butcher should be blamed for Harris's poor season along with the unlucky injury. I blame Fenlon as he clearly thought Harris was the real deal and never bothered signing anyone to compete with him at wide right. Last summer, when Wotherspoon left, he should have signed a proven, creative winger and used Harris as back up instead of going all out and handing Harris the no 7 shirt. He only signed Zubir in a panic when Harris got injured thus missing another opportunity to get an experienced player in that position.

As Harris was returning to full fitness in January Butcher should have recognised that we could have done with a bit of experience out there but signed another youngster in Watmore.

Could Stanton do a turn out wide right maybe? If so, I'd go with:-

Williams

Maybury - Nelson - McGivern - Stevenson

Stanton - Robertson - Thomson (or Jones or Taiwo if Thommo not fit) - Craig

Heffernan - Cummings

lumbo_hfc
23-05-2014, 05:49 PM

I'm guessing you didn't watch on Wednesday night then?

First half we played 442 and we were very poor, they had 2 or 3 good chances, our midfield were overrun and we scored against the run of play purely from a great strike!

Second half TB changed things to 451 and we got a grip of the game. Our midfielders got forward to help heffernan and our defence didn't drop deeper until the last 5 where we held on. If you have attackers in the 5 man midfield there instinct is to get forward when we have the ball and having Thomson to put his foot on the ball and feed our wingers and Stanton helps massively!

Spot on:agree: he can't have been there on wednesday!! If we play a 442 on sunday on our big pitch we will get ripped up for arse paper!

Hibernia Na Eir
23-05-2014, 06:02 PM
The HA defence looks crap. Get in amongst them and ruffle them right up. We'll pick them off. No worries.

3pm
23-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Stanton to the right and Thomson in would by my only change.

weonlywon6-2
23-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Tactics,go for it,get the ball the heff and cummings and they will have the confidence to have a pop now after wednesday

Green_one
23-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Stanton to the right and Thomson in would by my only change.

This. Its a simple swap out of a player who had no real impact, for one who will potentially move us away from hoofing it.

We need to score. That settles the tie for me even if its just to make it 3-1. Problems will ensue if we sit back, run down time and end up conceeding a goal that will send the team and the crowd into a panic. :rolleyes:

I am confident that pressing them will result in a goal, hopefully in the first half. My only worry is about getting to penalties. It will not happen but I think that is the most likely way of ending in a nightmare.

I actually hope for a boring afternoon where we get a early goal and zilch else happens. TB also needs to make sure all the players keep their heads and do not get sent off and create a situation Hamilton can respond to.

Sammy7nil
23-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Hooooofff

I think this will be a major part of the tactic :greengrin

therealgavmac
23-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Chaaaaaaaarge!!!!!!!

Unseen work
24-05-2014, 10:57 AM
We need to score first. They score first and IMO we will chuck it

Northernhibee
24-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Attack on the break, let them create spaces in defence and exploit them. Same team again, and just remember the mountain is much higher for Accies than it is for us.

steakbake
24-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Stick one in early doors, get another just before HT.. get the tie over with by the Happy Hibby draw.

AlanGF69
24-05-2014, 01:45 PM
I want to see us hit Hamilton with a quick goal (inside the first 10 minutes), and kill the game off there and then.

Hamilton won't score 3 goals!

SeanWilson
24-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Spot on:agree: he can't have been there on wednesday!! If we play a 442 on sunday on our big pitch we will get ripped up for arse paper!

Contrary to your opinions, I was at the game Wednesday. We weren't that bad in the first half, the game was just played at the usual frantic no composure pace it always is when it comes to hibs for the first 30 mins. Both teams were fairly rank, as was to be expected. Man for man and with confidence, hibs are the better team, therefore I don't believe my thought process to be as far of the mark as you guys seem to think.... opinions.

As some others have said, potentially a more dynamic version of a natural 442 with a diamond type set up would work, however as far as I am concerned, we don't have the players to execute this with any purpose.

I stick to my guns, at ER we should not rest on our laurels, we should not try to defend a 2-0 scoreline and we MUST NOT try to defend. For me playing 451 with Heff up will be pointless as the game will pass him by (in my opinion).

Only a day to wait now. Come on the Hibees.

The_Horde
24-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Think Butcher will go back to 4-5-1 - a formation that has failed countless times. Hamilton will try to push forward to get the first goal, Hibs will try suffocate the game and hit on the break.

I see the Hamilton manager and players have already started their mind-games in the press - just as they did before last night. Really hope they keep it up, as it will stop the Hibs players getting complacent. IMO their very public bravado (10-2, Hibs can't defend, Hibs can't score blah blah) is doing Butcher's job for him.

He went 4-5-1 at start of the second half last game and it got us a goal :wink:

Scouse Hibee
24-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Attack............attack.......................att ack,attack,attack

Alfred E Newman
24-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Put the foot through the ball and punt it as far up the park as possible and if the chance comes, open a can of beans.

silverhibee
24-05-2014, 06:20 PM
;4023443']He went 4-5-1 at start of the second half last game and it got us a goal :wink:

Was it not 4-1-4-1 he went in the 2nd half. :greengrin

The_Horde
24-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Was it not 4-1-4-1 he went in the 2nd half. :greengrin

Hmm I'm not so sure.

Think it was maybe 4-2-3-1..

iwasthere1972
24-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Attack, attack, attack from the off. Their defence looked a bit shaky on Wednesday night so same again.

Don't park the bus. Our defence ain't good enough.

SMAXXA
24-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Attack, attack, attack from the off. Their defence looked a bit shaky on Wednesday night so same again.

:agree: You just never know :wink:

whiskyhibby
24-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Spot on I think we could score 3 or 4 tomorrow on the counter as their defence looked p1sh