PDA

View Full Version : Wiiiams- please stay

Islington Hibs
22-05-2014, 06:51 AM
I hope he stays. He is a great shot stopper and the best keeper we have had for perhaps 10 years. Ben, if you read these posts, please stay. Anyone else agree.
:flag:

Forza Fred
22-05-2014, 06:52 AM
I hope he stays. He is a great shot stopper and the best keeper we have had for perhaps 10 years. Ben, if you read these posts, please stay. Anyone else agree.

Absolutely

Russ
22-05-2014, 07:00 AM

Absolutely

NOT He doesn't command his 6 yard box let alone the 18. Good shot stopper as you say I would rather have a keeper who communicates with his defenders and commands his box though.

Borderhibbie76
22-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Like Ben and would be happy if he stays but he doesn't command his box enough...if rumours about Dean Brill r true...I wont b too disappointed

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Baker9
22-05-2014, 07:48 AM
I think we are very lucky to have him and it is always reassuring to see his name on the teamsheet. No keeper is perfect but he is a great find and hopefully will get signed long term. That would be evidence of serious intent by the new management setup. I suspect he may be one of the three that Pat Stanton suggests he would keep.

easty
22-05-2014, 07:52 AM
I'd have Williams before Brill any day.

Marty-Hibee
22-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Was as valuable in the sticks as Cummings was up front last night, made 2 or 3 stops that would have seen the result being completely different.

At the end of the day if he was any better he wouldn't be at us. Would be throwing anything we can at him to keep him. He seems to care a lot about the club as well.

Jones28
22-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Best keeper we've had for a while and would be more than happy to see him stay

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-05-2014, 08:13 AM

This.

#FromTheCapital
22-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Best keeper we've had in ages. Wish we had him during the Mowbray era.

Waxy
22-05-2014, 08:34 AM
I agree

Nutmegged
22-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Absolutely

NOT He doesn't command his 6 yard box let alone the 18. Good shot stopper as you say I would rather have a keeper who communicates with his defenders and commands his box though.

I think thats harsh, he has no confidence in his defence, that goes without saying and when keepers dont trust their defenders they tend to stay on/near their line, its a natural reaction.

I'd love Ben to stay, he's the best we've had in years, what I'd like to see is how he'd improve behind a dominant central defender

NOLA
22-05-2014, 09:04 AM
He's alright, don't know if we can get anyone better so I'd be happy enough if he stayed but not if we have to make him a top earner.

GreenArmyyy!
22-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Best keeper in many a year, very passionate as well, if we could only keep one player from the whole squad in my opinion it would be Ben.

leggeto
22-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Best we've had in years would love to see him stay but can't see it happening

hibbysam
22-05-2014, 10:05 AM
If Ben Williams was as good a shot stopper as he is, could pluck balls into his box out of the air and totally command his 18 yard box he would still be at Manchester United! He's as good as were gonna get, his handling and decision making was top drawer last night and the two saves he made were as big as JC goals! Stefan Klos never used to move from his line yet is hailed as one of the better keepers in the spl era!

Billychaotic182
22-05-2014, 10:13 AM
best hibs keeper i can remember.

MurrayfieldHibs
22-05-2014, 10:19 AM
If Ben Williams was as good a shot stopper as he is, could pluck balls into his box out of the air and totally command his 18 yard box he would still be at Manchester United! He's as good as were gonna get, his handling and decision making was top drawer last night and the two saves he made were as big as JC goals! Stefan Klos never used to move from his line yet is hailed as one of the better keepers in the spl era!

Remember Yves MaCalamity, Zibi Malpractise everyone???? Hopefully Leanne will sort out the coaching issue so that Ben wants to stay.

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Why, and is that the same for other positions too?

Luna Landing
22-05-2014, 12:03 PM
To be honest I dont really understand the Ben Williams love-in . Yes he is a good shot stopper but he doesnt command his box ( did well last night I admit) and is as much part of our porous defence as the guys in front of him . I think we can do better and certainly wouldnt break the bank to keep him

Weststandwanab
22-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Please please stay.

Michael
22-05-2014, 12:19 PM
To those that want him to leave...just think about Malkowski, McNeil and Makalamby.

There is no guarantee we will do better.

easty
22-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Why, and is that the same for other positions too?

I dont think he'd be good in any other positions.

blackpoolhibs
To those that want him to leave...just think about Malkowski, McNeil and Makalamby.

There is no guarantee we will do better.

Are they coming back?

Jamesie
It's all about whether he wants to stay, which I appreciate will be influenced by what is put on the table in front of him. If he's not happy though I would rather he left as we need a happy ship next season.

dmc1875
22-05-2014, 12:35 PM

:agree:

GreenCastle
22-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Solid SPL Level keeper and a winner.

Could be his last game for the club Sunday !!

hibsmad
22-05-2014, 01:00 PM
No 'love in' here but I really hope Ben stays.

In my opinion he is a very decent keeper at this level. Could we find better? Absolutely, but if we were fortunate enough to do so he would be away after a season or two at the most. Then we would need to find another keeper better than Ben was again.

I don't really get the argument that we should try to find better because there are better keepers out there. There are better strikers than Leigh Griffiths out there, does that mean there were fans glad when he left so we could go about trying to find them?

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2014, 01:09 PM
No 'love in' here but I really hope Ben stays.

In my opinion he is a very decent keeper at this level. Could we find better? Absolutely, but if we were fortunate enough to do so he would be away after a season or two at the most. Then we would need to find another keeper better than Ben was again.

I don't really get the argument that we should try to find better because there are better keepers out there. There are better strikers than Leigh Griffiths out there, does that mean there were fans glad when he left so we could go about trying to find them?

Silly argument, Griffiths was never ours. If he was we'd have sold him to Celtic for a very good price, in fact i'd have thought we'd have got much more than Wolves did if he was ours to sell.

Williams will leave and we will get nowt, we'd have still got nowt if we'd wanted him off the wage bill, because nobody would have paid money for him.

He's a steady run of the mill keeper, who should be easily replaced if the manager and scout actually have eyes in their heads. There are plenty out there in the lower leagues of England as good and better, williams is held in such high regard here because he's followed such ****in drivel we were just glad to get someone who was semi decent.

Thecat23
22-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Williams is leaving, he wants to head back south.

Mathias Jack
22-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Defo...

jeffers
22-05-2014, 01:26 PM
If we are to offer one of the out of contract players a new deal I'd far rather it was Kevin Thomson, but for reasons known only to the two clowns managing us there appears about as much chance of that happening as I have getting an invite round to MM's.

I've heard we are signing two "well known" players in the summer, one of them being Jamie MacDonald. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but I'd be pleased if he did sign.

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2014, 01:28 PM
If we are to offer one of the out of contract players a new deal I'd far rather it was Kevin Thomson, but for reasons known only to the two clowns managing us there appears about as much chance of that happening as I have getting an invite round to MM's.

I've heard we are signing two "well known" players in the summer, one of them being Jamie MacDonald. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but I'd be pleased if he did sign.

Every bit as good as Williams, but because of where he's played recently would he get a fair crack at it?

jeffers
22-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Every bit as good as Williams, but because of where he's played recently would he get a fair crack at it?

Can only speak for myself but I certainly would bh. I could care less that he played for them, he's a good keeper. Now if we were to sign Skacel that would be a different story......:duck:

hibsmad
22-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Silly argument, Griffiths was never ours. If he was we'd have sold him to Celtic for a very good price, in fact i'd have thought we'd have got much more than Wolves did if he was ours to sell.

Williams will leave and we will get nowt, we'd have still got nowt if we'd wanted him off the wage bill, because nobody would have paid money for him.

He's a steady run of the mill keeper, who should be easily replaced if the manager and scout actually have eyes in their heads. There are plenty out there in the lower leagues of England as good and better, williams is held in such high regard here because he's followed such ****in drivel we were just glad to get someone who was semi decent.

The part in bold - I have no idea what you are on about. It doesn't matter if we are achieving fees for players or not in the context of this discussion. You think Williams should go because there are better players out there. My (very simple) point is that there are always better players out there. If Griffiths doesn't work as an example for you then pick any Hibs player who was deemed a success and who left us at the end of his contract. I simply think he is worth keeping, while you don't.

Also, you say that any manager with eyes in their head would be able to easily replace him as "there are plenty out there in the lower leagues of England as good and better". Well I'm pretty sure that Fenlon, Calderwood, Hughes, Paatelainen, Collins and Mowbray all had eyes in their head. So.... are you just way more knowledgeable than any of them in the world of football? Ok, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with regards to Calderwood, but surely the rest of them, with their various experience and contacts, have something over you?

jakeshibs
22-05-2014, 02:20 PM
as a hibby I would be glad to see Big Ben stay it has been too long since we have had a good keeper and I would like it to remain that way.

hibsbollah
22-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I like him but if he's fallen out with the management as rumours suggest then I'd rather he left with our good wishes and we moved on. AFAIK he tweeted he wasnt signing a new contract so this is all academic anyway, he's leaving.

roryg
22-05-2014, 02:25 PM
One of the few who should b staying.

heretoday
22-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Williams did everything right last night and deserves his praise today.

But he's taken some very adverse criticism on these boards over the whole season.

hibbysam
22-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I like him but if he's fallen out with the management as rumours suggest then I'd rather he left with our good wishes and we moved on. AFAIK he tweeted he wasnt signing a new contract so this is all academic anyway, he's leaving.

I've heard it's Marsella's training that is hacking the Goalkeepers off a bit and they don't understand why Scott Thomson was let go when that was one area of the club that wasn't a concern. I am of the same opinion that SM should have come in primarily for his scouting duties and left ST to get on with his goalkeepers.

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2014, 02:57 PM
The part in bold - I have no idea what you are on about. It doesn't matter if we are achieving fees for players or not in the context of this discussion. You think Williams should go because there are better players out there. My (very simple) point is that there are always better players out there. If Griffiths doesn't work as an example for you then pick any Hibs player who was deemed a success and who left us at the end of his contract. I simply think he is worth keeping, while you don't.

Also, you say that any manager with eyes in their head would be able to easily replace him as "there are plenty out there in the lower leagues of England as good and better". Well I'm pretty sure that Fenlon, Calderwood, Hughes, Paatelainen, Collins and Mowbray all had eyes in their head. So.... are you just way more knowledgeable than any of them in the world of football? Ok, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with regards to Calderwood, but surely the rest of them, with their various experience and contacts, have something over you?

He's going, i never said i wanted him to go. I just think he's easier to replace than you and others are making out. To be fair to all those managers, i do think i could pick a better keeper than them for the money we spent. :wink: Williams will get a club, but it wont be one bigger than Hibs.

We will pick one up, or should be able to pick one up equally as good and even better if those clowns in charge of us do their job properly.

Russ
22-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Too many times I have seen our defenders head balls out when all that was required was a shout from Williams to leave it. The cup game against Hearts at ER a prime example.

He doesn't have all the attributes you list, nor are we likely to get anyone who has, but the least we can expect is a keeper with a voice. Even when he was captain he never opened his mouth. Thanks for the memories Ben.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Williams is leaving, he wants to head back south.

:agree:

hibbypostie
22-05-2014, 03:53 PM
I've heard it's Marsella's training that is hacking the Goalkeepers off a bit and they don't understand why Scott Thomson was let go when that was one area of the club that wasn't a concern. I am of the same opinion that SM should have come in primarily for his scouting duties and left ST to get on with his goalkeepers.

to be fair if Bens command of his box is anything to go by the ST should have been replaced as he was no good at it
and it seems he was much better at it last night maybe SMs coaching is helping that more :dunno:

Sir David Gray
22-05-2014, 10:22 PM
He's the best goalkeeper I have seen at Hibs for at least a decade and I would be surprised if we end up with a better goalkeeper next season, assuming he does leave in the summer.

I've been amazed at some of the criticism that has been aimed at him on here this season.

jeffers
22-05-2014, 10:32 PM
He's the best goalkeeper I have seen at Hibs for at least a decade and I would be surprised if we end up with a better goalkeeper next season, assuming he does leave in the summer.

I've been amazed at some of the criticism that has been aimed at him on here this season.

Last season I'd agree, but I don't think he's been as good this season and has been cuplable for quite a few goals.

IberianHibernian
22-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Was asking myself who could be our Player of the Year this season and decided nobody had done nearly anything to deserve the award . Thinking that might be ridiculous I thought Ben would be only candidate - had a couple of sticky spells but seems to have got over them despite managerial circus since November and seems to show a good attitude . Not a world class goalie but one of the better ones in our league and grim reality is that we can`t and won`t sign top quality ( or even médium quality ) players in any position so if he stayed it would certainly be a good start to building a team .

Sir David Gray
22-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Last season I'd agree, but I don't think he's been as good this season and has been cuplable for quite a few goals.

Are you quite confident that his replacement will be better?

I'm certainly not.

I'm not saying he's flawless but I can't think of too many goalkeepers in Scotland that I would rather have in place of Ben Williams.

FitbaFolkKen
23-05-2014, 01:17 AM
I like Ben, if he would re-sign I would keep him.

I think other areas of the team need more work so if he was part of our team next season I would be quite happy. On the flip side you have to trust that Marsella being scout and goalkeeping coach should be able to spot us a decent replacement.

Johnny_Leith
23-05-2014, 03:23 AM
Highly doubt Jamie MacDonald would sign for us, nice lad but Hearts through and through. On the base of his performances over the last couple of seasons he shouldn't have too much trouble finding a team.

Would like Williams to stay but I think he's not really been with it since about January, when he apparently decided he wanted down south again. Good luck to him.

Ronniekirk
23-05-2014, 06:04 AM
I like Ben, if he would re-sign I would keep him.

I think other areas of the team need more work so if he was part of our team next season I would be quite happy. On the flip side you have to trust that Marsella being scout and goalkeeping coach should be able to spot us a decent replacement.
Marsella and his coaching methods was one of the reasons cited as to why he wanted to leave ,so unless that was a smokescreen I don't see him doing a u turn .Family down soth was another reason .But if he leaves us on the back of two clean sheets he will have played his part in keeping us up :wink:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Who is Wiiiams anyway?

Ronniekirk
23-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Who is Wiiiams anyway?
He was the one between the sticks that came out when Admiral Nelson scuffed a clearance in the air in the box and put Curier clean through and He (Williams ) blocked the shot . It's been a problem position for us and while I agree he hasn't been at his best in last few months if we don't get the right replacement we could be looking back wishing he had stayed

DTS
23-05-2014, 10:31 AM
He's a good goalkeeper best we've had for a long time. Yet I just wonder we brought him in from a team in the lower regions of league one so surely we could find someone else of similar quality. That said is prefer we kept him as there is obviously the risk that the replacement isn't as good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

hfc-1875
23-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Good shot stopper. Dodgy at corners/crosses. Would like to see him stay but no too fussed.

Rivers Cuomo
23-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Highly doubt Jamie MacDonald would sign for us, nice lad but Hearts through and through. On the base of his performances over the last couple of seasons he shouldn't have too much trouble finding a team.

Would like Williams to stay but I think he's not really been with it since about January, when he apparently decided he wanted down south again. Good luck to him.

Jamie McDonald is 100% a Rangers fan and would jump at a move to us.

NAE NOOKIE
23-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Big Ben has been very decent for us ... but if he is determined to go good luck to him.

As for a new keeper I would take McDonald in a second and TBH I dont care if he wears an I love Gary McKay T shirt under his strip as long as he played as well for us as he did for the Yams.

Talking of ex Yams the lad Kello aint bad either. Not too bothered about dean Brill though.

TheFamous1875
23-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Jamie McDonald is 100% a Rangers fan and would jump at a move to us.

How'd you know?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Captain Trips
23-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Williams has been good in general, maybe due to some of the clowns we have had in goals over last few years it may elevate him but on balance I think I would retain him, we have IMO other areas of bigger worry to deal with. Williams for me done a good job.

FranckSuzy
23-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Who is Wiiiams anyway?

He was the one between the sticks that came out when Admiral Nelson scuffed a clearance in the air in the box and put Curier clean through and He (Williams ) blocked the shot . It's been a problem position for us and while I agree he hasn't been at his best in last few months if we don't get the right replacement we could be looking back wishing he had stayed

:tee hee: