PDA

View Full Version : Tom English on Hamilton v Hibs

The Harp Awakes
22-05-2014, 12:22 AM
He's given Hibs it tight in recent months but well deserved I think.

Decent read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27513775

Particularly:

They will likely survive - and what a relief that will be to them and to the Premiership as a whole - but is that what it has come to for Hibs? Or is there ambition in the place?

Ambition. Sadly lacking in the Petrie era IMO.

HappyHibby93
22-05-2014, 12:27 AM
He's given Hibs it tight in recent months but well deserved I think.

Decent read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27513775

Particularly:

They will likely survive - and what a relief that will be to them and to the Premiership as a whole - but is that what it has come to for Hibs? Or is there ambition in the place?

Ambition. Sadly lacking in the Petrie era IMO.

There is a new era upon us. Finish the job on Sunday, and it's eyes on the future!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

HappyHibby93
22-05-2014, 12:27 AM
Very well written article btw, decent read.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Thecat23
22-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Good read, he's been spot on all season for me.

Broken Gnome
22-05-2014, 03:54 AM
The actual BBC match report appears partly made up, quite a few things I don't think actually happened.

green day
22-05-2014, 04:47 AM
Article is fair enough, but I still get the sense all these journos - bar a very small minority - have their "let's rip into Hibs" agenda.

If we get Sunday out the way, I predict some real abuse toward Spiers, English, Ewen Murray etc - not because they were wrong, more because they were so gleeful about us, and in a way that no other team got.

ALF TUPPER
22-05-2014, 06:04 AM
I agree. Tom English has been pretty accurate at what he has said all season. Truth hurts sometimes. But his comments have been fair-ish.

However, Yes, and add to that almost the whole BBC Sportsound team. Gordon, Preston, Young, Dodds, McLaughlin, Cowan et al. They have continuously taken cheap jibes. Last night must have been uncomfortable for them. The result wasn't in the script. Make no mistake - They want us down.

If we can finish the job on Sunday I will be ready to get into these Yam loving, antiHibs, journos.

Last night I got a private message Tweet from one of them saying they weren't "team jambo" ( as I had called them) but " teamAccies". Was intended as a joke at Hibs expense or my expense. Afraid I'm not in the jovial mood or in the forgiving one either.

Roll on Sunday - if we can get the result we all want - I'm ready to rip into each and every one of them.

GGTTH

HibbySpurs
22-05-2014, 08:04 AM
I agree. Tom English has been pretty accurate at what he has said all season. Truth hurts sometimes. But his comments have been fair-ish.

However, Yes, and add to that almost the whole BBC Sportsound team. Gordon, Preston, Young, Dodds, McLaughlin, Cowan et al. They have continuously taken cheap jibes. Last night must have been uncomfortable for them. The result wasn't in the script. Make no mistake - They want us down.

If we can finish the job on Sunday I will be ready to get into these Yam loving, antiHibs, journos.

Last night I got a private message Tweet from one of them saying they weren't "team jambo" ( as I had called them) but " teamAccies". Was intended as a joke at Hibs expense or my expense. Afraid I'm not in the jovial mood or in the forgiving one either.

Roll on Sunday - if we can get the result we all want - I'm ready to rip into each and every one of them.

GGTTH

:agree:yup, what English says is usually quite close to the mark and at times cuts like a knife, as you say the truth hurts......

He felt last night that he didnt think we could win as he didnt see where we wouldgetgoals from which to be honest is fair comment. Plus with the momentum Hamilton had it could have been a very difficult night.

As for the rest of them especially that prick Gordon they can GTF as far as I'm concerned.... They add little sense to discussion and were literally salavating at the prospect of a Hamilton win.....

I thought one of the best pre match comments came again from English..... Gordon was banging on about how the game was so hyped up and there was massive interest in it which he was surprised at....

English replied simply.... "It's because it's Hibs"...... I actually took that as a back handed compliment.

The only other one in recent months on that show who seems to talk any sense (at times) and I cant believe I'm putting this on record is Chick Young.....

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Article is fair enough, but I still get the sense all these journos - bar a very small minority - have their "let's rip into Hibs" agenda.

If we get Sunday out the way, I predict some real abuse toward Spiers, English, Ewen Murray etc - not because they were wrong, more because they were so gleeful about us, and in a way that no other team got.

Been saying it for weeks mate.... Spot on with what you say. They have taken great delight in our demise whilst constantly sympathising with the cheats at the PBS. Tosspots the lot of them.

Arch Stanton
22-05-2014, 08:29 AM
.................................................. ...

The only other one in recent months on that show who seems to talk any sense (at times) and I cant believe I'm putting this on record is Chick Young.....

Although the "at times" are getting fewer these days - the whole Sportsound team seem to think their patter is just sensational. Chick Young may be dead pleased with his "be afraid, be very afraid" line but I think it is stupid.

Fergos
22-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Amazing that the bbc website had Hamilton on the premiership page when they are in all effect a championship side.....as we speak......

sod them

GGTTH

Makaveli
22-05-2014, 08:39 AM
I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks of Hibs but I don't get why that lot (the non-jambos among them) were so keen to see us fail. In one breath they tell everyone how Hearts will be a huge loss yet our away support is often better and there's little difference in real home attendances ... so why couldn't they contain their joy at the thought of us going down?

Same with the whole "Scottish football needs a strong Aberdeen" nonsense. Our crowds have been better than theirs for about 15 years and even at times this season. F*** Aberdeen. Get this game out the way then shut them all up by building a strong Hibs.

The Sea-gull
22-05-2014, 08:40 AM
It's not what they say, it's the way that they say it. :greengrin

Plenty journos have ripped into Hibs in recent months, even years and they have had every right to. Many of them, rather than just reporting factually, do it in a way that seems like they are enjoying it. And, the odd time we have been worthy of a bit of praise, it has come with "yes well they won but.....".

I know some folk think this is paranoia in the extreme but the whole BBC output (radio, tv, online) definitely seems to have an anti-Hibs tone to it whether it is being overly scathing or them just smugly laughing.

I heard Tom English and Richard Gordon talking after the game last night referring to the Hibs fans who would be on twitter crowing about the result not being able to see the woods for the trees. We are all well aware of how poor we are and what state we are in and last night does not change that but if media figures are going to slag us off then they have to expect to get a bit of stick back when something goes right.

A lot of Tom English's stuff is bang on but i can't help but feel he may have a personal agenda against us for some reason. He used to write quite well about us in the papers but since going to the bbc he has, while calling it like it is, gone a wee bit over the top with his criticism. I don't know if this is him being sucked into the BBC's apparent disdain towards Hibs or if he has a personal gripe with the club. I think he is friendly with Pat Fenlon so it may have something to do with that?

The Sea-gull
22-05-2014, 08:43 AM
:agree:yup, what English says is usually quite close to the mark and at times cuts like a knife, as you say the truth hurts......

He felt last night that he didnt think we could win as he didnt see where we wouldgetgoals from which to be honest is fair comment. Plus with the momentum Hamilton had it could have been a very difficult night.

As for the rest of them especially that prick Gordon they can GTF as far as I'm concerned.... They add little sense to discussion and were literally salavating at the prospect of a Hamilton win.....

I thought one of the best pre match comments came again from English..... Gordon was banging on about how the game was so hyped up and there was massive interest in it which he was surprised at....

English replied simply.... "It's because it's Hibs"...... I actually took that as a back handed compliment.

I know, despite the stick he has had over the years, Chick Young is actually one of the ones who seems to report on things without showing any undue disdain or smugness.

Kato
22-05-2014, 08:50 AM

I agree. When it comes to opinion Craig Paterson keeps professional and unbiased, which means in the context of that show he gets drowned out by grunters like Blobbo and the squeekers like Preston.

Chick actually tried a few weeks ago to talk about Hibs injury problems and was "talked" down by both Preston and Gordon.

If it were me both Gordon and Preston would not be welcome at ER next season.

ScottB
22-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Is it not the case that Hibs don't give much away to these morons to keep them looking 'in the know' with their exclusives, so they have a clear dislike for us?

I get the feeling Hearts were happy to keep laying on the succulent lamb throughout their recent troubles, as well as feeding plenty 'exclusives' to the 'journalists' in question.

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Nobody should kid themselves on.... The ****ing lot of them were/are praying for Hibs to be relegated... As I said, tosspots the lot of them. Of course we've deserved criticism but most of it has been way over the top. And as for that hypocritical prick chic young who rips into Hibs at every opportunity until he interviews Terry Butcher after a game?? A ****ing coward of a man who knows nowt about football. Oh and since I'm having a gid rant... To all my jambo mates... GO **** YOURSELVES!!!! :na na:

--------
22-05-2014, 09:02 AM

:agree: I don't think Tom English has said or written anything that isn't true and relevant about Hibs' plight lately.

He's a good journalist and I really don't believe he has any anti-Hibs agenda - some of us can be just too paranoid for our own good at times. (I know I can be that way myself, before anyone else says so.)

He's absolutely right - it's shocking that the people running Hibs over the past 5 years or so have managed to reduce the club to the state where we're all celebrating winning 2-0 over a lower-league side in a relegation play-off. Especially a play-off where the consequences of losing could be so far-reaching. The Championship next season will be a difficult league to get out of; like it or not, Rangers are firm favourites for the title, and Hearts and Falkirk (to name but two) will be right in there pitching for the play-off places. If Hibs screw up on Sunday (nightmare scenario, I know, but anything can happen) we'll go down and find it very hard to come back up. It won't be anything like the triumphal procession it was last time.

Hibs should not be here, The fact that we are is the consequence of years of complacency and lack of ambition at the top of a club run by men whose main concern has always been the bottom line of the balance sheet rather than the league placing of the club at the end of the season or the quality of the football played by the team. I wouldn't expect low-life like Preston or Dodds and their mates on Open All Mikes to be capable of reasoned or responsible comment on the state of Scottish football; if Gordon wants to get down to their level, fine - maybe he's angling for a job at the Bus Shelter now his sugar-daddy Potter's back in charge.

Gordon's inability to understand the importance and significance of last night's match testifies to nothing more than his ignorance or his bias - both Edinburgh clubs relegated in one season would be big news in football generally, I'd say, and Hibs are one of those sides in Scotland with resources and tradition that make relegation from the top flight a serious concern. Same goes for Hearts, of course, but then we all know why Hearts are down - they were very naughty boys, serial cheats and swindlers IIRC. But Gordon can't admit that - Harry Pee and the Budgerigar wouldn't like it.

In TC's memorable phrase (HOW I wish I'd thought of it first!) I wouldn't give a rotting narwhal's ovaries for the opinions of any of that gaggle of superannuated jakey-drinkers and pointy-heided Hun bigots, but Tom English isn't one of them.

There are huge problems at ER right now. The result last night, and (hopefully) a follow-up on Sunday to keep us up in the Premiership, shouldn't disguise that fact. TE's just the messenger. He isn't the problem.

PS - I thought Michael Stewart was very fair on the highlights show. A good balanced assessment, fair to both sides. He had obviously watched the game, as well.
The HunBeeb won't like that.:wink:

Kato
22-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Is it not the case that Hibs don't give much away to these morons to keep them looking 'in the know' with their exclusives, so they have a clear dislike for us?

I get the feeling Hearts were happy to keep laying on the succulent pies throughout their recent troubles, as well as feeding plenty 'exclusives' to the 'journalists' in question.

Fixed

The Sea-gull
22-05-2014, 09:05 AM
I agree. When it comes to opinion Craig Paterson keeps professional and unbiased, which means in the context of that show he gets drowned out by grunters like Blobbo and the squeekers like Preston.

Chick actually tried a few weeks ago to talk about Hibs injury problems and was "talked" down by both Preston and Gordon.

If it were me both Gordon and Preston would not be welcome at ER next season.

Strangely, I don't find Preston or Blobbo that bad. They are pretty blatant that they are jambos so stands to reason they will not like Hibs but I generally find them quite fair all things considered. Sometimes I even get the impression they are both for Edinburgh football and would like us and Hearts to be strong.

The ones I think seem to have a clear dislike for us are Richard Gordon, Jonathan Sutherland, Liam McLeod and Rob McLean. They all have a connection to Aberdeen but no idea if this has led them to particularly dislike us.

leggeto
22-05-2014, 09:05 AM
I bet he had money on us losing that game last night,he sounded gutted on the radio,knob

--------
22-05-2014, 09:08 AM
I bet he had money on us losing that game last night,he sounded gutted on the radio,knob

Who? English?

leggeto
22-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Who? English?

Yeah

CallumLaidlaw
22-05-2014, 09:12 AM

GGTTH

Who was it that messaged you?

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Strangely, I don't find Preston or Blobbo that bad. They are pretty blatant that they are jambos so stands to reason they will not like Hibs but I generally find them quite fair all things considered. Sometimes I even get the impression they are both for Edinburgh football and would like us and Hearts to be strong.

The ones I think seem to have a clear dislike for us are Richard Gordon, Jonathan Sutherland, Liam McLeod and Rob McLean. They all have a connection to Aberdeen but no idea if this has led them to particularly dislike us.

I agree with wee robbo Sea-gull.... But Preston??? He's another who wasn't slow to stick the boot into us far too often. The BBC. Didn't get the story they craved last night but in the lead up to the 2nd leg on Sunday they will be at it again, guaranteed.

Onion
22-05-2014, 09:16 AM
The actual BBC match report appears partly made up, quite a few things I don't think actually happened.

Too overcome in their grief to get anything right. Have a look at the second goal :greengrin

54:19 Goal scored
Goal! Hamilton Academical 0, Hibernian 2. Jason Cummings (Hibernian) right footed shot from the left side of the six yard box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Paul Heffernan.

--------
22-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah

I don't think that's the way he sees things, tbh. I think he's more concerned at the state of the club - like I say, Hibs should not be in this situation.

Memo to Chairman and Board for next season - success in football isn't measured on the FTSE. It's all about LEAGUE PLACINGS, and good football, guys.

Try and remember that? :rolleyes:

AlbertK86
22-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Yep they all wanted us to go down but once we start winning next season their love in with Terry will be re-ignited

They are all really shallow and let's face it

Preston Robertson Dodds Stewart were nothing more than run of the mill Scottish players.

Nevin for me is the only one with any pedigree

As for Gordon McLaughlin ewen Murray ... Just dafties who make living out of being controversial

But switch allegiances at the drop of a hat

Mark my words IF terry turns us around they will be sooking right in with him again

Spike Mandela
22-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Don't be fooled by this twat's apparent 'fairness', 'truth hurts' writing. He and several of his cronies were delighting in the schadenfreude aspect of Hibs dismal season. How he laughed at our dismal efforts compared to the battling babes of Hearts tax avoiders.

Make no mistake he had an entirlely different script written for publication today. The media and indeed Hamilton treated Hibs with contempt and had written us off. English's words today could have been written by any one of us on .net, none of us need reminding of our shortcomings. This piece would be hastily put together and you can almost hear him choking on nearly every word.

The job is only half done and if Hamilton get an early goal on Sunday panic might ensue. One thing's for sure if Hamilton turn it round English will be getting his discarded notes out the wastepaper bin and will roundly turn on Petrie, Farmer, the players, us the fans, the celebrity fans and naughty ex players and with absolute relish will declare "....your boys took a hell of a beating...."

Onion
22-05-2014, 09:41 AM
:agree: I don't think Tom English has said or written anything that isn't true and relevant about Hibs' plight lately.

He's a good journalist and I really don't believe he has any anti-Hibs agenda - some of us can be just too paranoid for our own good at times. (I know I can be that way myself, before anyone else says so.)

He's absolutely right - it's shocking that the people running Hibs over the past 5 years or so have managed to reduce the club to the state where we're all celebrating winning 2-0 over a lower-league side in a relegation play-off. Especially a play-off where the consequences of losing could be so far-reaching. The Championship next season will be a difficult league to get out of; like it or not, Rangers are firm favourites for the title, and Hearts and Falkirk (to name but two) will be right in there pitching for the play-off places. If Hibs screw up on Sunday (nightmare scenario, I know, but anything can happen) we'll go down and find it very hard to come back up. It won't be anything like the triumphal procession it was last time.

Hibs should not be here, The fact that we are is the consequence of years of complacency and lack of ambition at the top of a club run by men whose main concern has always been the bottom line of the balance sheet rather than the league placing of the club at the end of the season or the quality of the football played by the team. I wouldn't expect low-life like Preston or Dodds and their mates on Open All Mikes to be capable of reasoned or responsible comment on the state of Scottish football; if Gordon wants to get down to their level, fine - maybe he's angling for a job at the Bus Shelter now his sugar-daddy Potter's back in charge.

Gordon's inability to understand the importance and significance of last night's match testifies to nothing more than his ignorance or his bias - both Edinburgh clubs relegated in one season would be big news in football generally, I'd say, and Hibs are one of those sides in Scotland with resources and tradition that make relegation from the top flight a serious concern. Same goes for Hearts, of course, but then we all know why Hearts are down - they were very naughty boys, serial cheats and swindlers IIRC. But Gordon can't admit that - Harry Pee and the Budgerigar wouldn't like it.

In TC's memorable phrase (HOW I wish I'd thought of it first!) I wouldn't give a rotting narwhal's ovaries for the opinions of any of that gaggle of superannuated jakey-drinkers and pointy-heided Hun bigots, but Tom English isn't one of them.

There are huge problems at ER right now. The result last night, and (hopefully) a follow-up on Sunday to keep us up in the Premiership, shouldn't disguise that fact. TE's just the messenger. He isn't the problem.

PS - I thought Michael Stewart was very fair on the highlights show. A good balanced assessment, fair to both sides. He had obviously watched the game, as well.
The HunBeeb won't like that.:wink:

:agree: Some really good points, well made.

IMO if we get through Sunday, it will be a massive let-off and should be a watershed moment for Hibernian Fc. For me, it feels a bit like 1991 all over again when we survived the Mercer takeover ! Petrie and the Hibs Board have put this club at serious risk that could have cost us £millions and set the club back years. That's completely unacceptable. We've got to pray that Leeann is given a mandate to make the changes needed to get Hibs out of the mire, and finally give the fans the team we deserve.

jacomo
22-05-2014, 09:57 AM
I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks of Hibs but I don't get why that lot (the non-jambos among them) were so keen to see us fail. In one breath they tell everyone how Hearts will be a huge loss yet our away support is often better and there's little difference in real home attendances ... so why couldn't they contain their joy at the thought of us going down?

Same with the whole "Scottish football needs a strong Aberdeen" nonsense. Our crowds have been better than theirs for about 15 years and even at times this season. F*** Aberdeen. Get this game out the way then shut them all up by building a strong Hibs.

If we do get our act together people will be saying 'Scottish football needs a strong Hibs' too. It's just the nature of the media to kick people when they are down and praise them when they are doing well.

I've got no problem with Tom English at all - he writes well about the Scottish game and has forthright opinions.

HibbySpurs
22-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Don't be fooled by this twat's apparent 'fairness', 'truth hurts' writing. He and several of his cronies were delighting in the schadenfreude aspect of Hibs dismal season. How he laughed at our dismal efforts compared to the battling babes of Hearts tax avoiders.

Make no mistake he had an entirlely different script written for publication today. The media and indeed Hamilton treated Hibs with contempt and had written us off. English's words today could have been written by any one of us on .net, none of us need reminding of our shortcomings. This piece would be hastily put together and you can almost hear him choking on nearly every word.

The job is only half done and if Hamilton get an early goal on Sunday panic might ensue. One thing's for sure if Hamilton turn it round English will be getting his discarded notes out the wastepaper bin and will roundly turn on Petrie, Farmer, the players, us the fans, the celebrity fans and naughty ex players and with absolute relish will declare "....your boys took a hell of a beating...."

Your probably right about the re-write to be fair!

However I generally find that English talks a reasonable amount of sense about football in general and I dont think he hid the fact last night that he thought we would struggle and find it hard to score, didnt we all think that?

You are right the Scottish media have gone way OTT IMO about us and IIRC the Sun last week described us as "hopeless Hibs"...... Not quite so hopeless now though.....

As for Gordon he is an utter ****ing clown of a man.... He literally delights in seeing us beat and any problems we might have... He hates us with a passion but if we come good he's that two-faced he'll try and act like he's our biggest fan..... TBH Hibs should take the Rangers route with the BBC and just ban the ****ing lot of them for a bit....

I also agree to an extent with the comment someone made about Robertson looking for Edinburgh football to be strong, he makes no attempt to hide his allegiance with Hearts but I do think he would like to see both clubs up the top end of the Premiership....

Expecting Rain
22-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Best to ignore Tom English and the other talking heads that thrive on negativity and controversy, if you want that you can get in spades on Sky Sports 515, Millions of statistics but nothing in the way of real detail.

--------
22-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Make no mistake he had an entirely different script written for publication today. The media and indeed Hamilton treated Hibs with contempt and had written us off. English's words today could have been written by any one of us on .net, none of us need reminding of our shortcomings. This piece would be hastily put together and you can almost hear him choking on nearly every word.

The job is only half done and if Hamilton get an early goal on Sunday panic might ensue. One thing's for sure if Hamilton turn it round English will be getting his discarded notes out the waste-paper bin and will roundly turn on Petrie, Farmer, the players, us the fans, the celebrity fans and naughty ex players and with absolute relish will declare "....your boys took a hell of a beating...."

If Accies turn it round on Sunday he'll be perfectly entitled to round on Petrie, Farmer, the Board and the club generally.

Right now Hibs are the "disaster waiting to happen" story of Scottish football.

Hibs SHOULDN'T be in this position, and with even a reasonably focussed and competent leadership over the last few years they WOULDN'T be in this position.

Our board are useless at running a football club, hopeless at maintaining good relations with the sports media, and they really suck at keeping the fans onside. the only thing they CAN do, it seems, is balance the books. Well, WOO-HOO!

If Hibs go down on Sunday, I hope Petrie has his escape route from ER well-prepared, because there'll be more than a few Hibs fans looking to swing him off a lamp-post in Albion Place if they get a hold of him.

This season has seen the worst in a series of increasingly embarrassing and unacceptable performances by Hibernian Football Club. For the second time in three season we look like escaping relegation by the skin of our teeth - though that's not certain yet by any means.

Last night's result was a relief, and an unexpected success that gives us all the opportunity any decent side would need to avoid the drop comfortably on Sunday. But this is Hibs, and who knows?

But some of us would rather shoot the messenger than admit just how dire things have become at ER, and the disaster Petrie and his minions may have brought us to.

I'm just praying Accies don't score first on Sunday, because if they do ....

:grr:

HibbySpurs
22-05-2014, 10:30 AM
If Accies turn it round on Sunday he'll be perfectly entitled to round on Petrie, Farmer, the Board and the club generally.

Hibs SHOULDN'T be in this position, and with even a reasonably focussed and competent leadership over the last few years they WOULDN'T be in this position.

Our board are useless at running a football club, hopeless at maintaining good relations with the sports media, and they really suck at keeping the fans onside. the only thing they CAN do, it seems, is balance the books. Well, WOO-HOO!

If Hibs go down on Sunday, I hope Petrie has his escape route from ER well-prepared, because there'll be more than a few Hibs fans looking to swing him off a lamp-post in Albion Place if they get a hold of him.

This season has seen the worst in a series of increasingly embarrassing and unacceptable performances by Hibernian Football Club. For the second time in three season we look like escaping relegation by the skin of our teeth - though that's not certain yet by any means.

Last night's result was a relief, and an unexpected success that gives us all the opportunity any decent side would need to avoid the drop comfortably on Sunday. But this is Hibs, and who knows?

But some of us would rather shoot the messenger than admit just how dire things have become at ER, and the disaster Petrie and his minions may have brought us to.

Agree almost entirely with that post, well put:aok:

For all the good RP & STF have done in re-building ER,delivering a state of the art training facility and putting the club on a sound financial footing, I find it utterly amazing that they dont seem to grasp (and they are top businessmen, thats beyond doubt) that they are driving even hard core supporters away from games by sufficating the football side.

The clue for them has always been in the name: Hibernain FOOTBALL Club......

Deliver something on the park thats competitive and worth watching and people will come back... We are not Motherwell who finish runners-up two seasons in a row and still cant grow their support..... Hibs look even like finishing 2nd next season (provided we finish the job in hand) then people will come back in their droves but the manager has to be backed to the hilt and a maybe even a punt taken on investing in success....

There arent many clubs who can take more than 35,000 to Hampden, the fans are out there they just have to be given what they want..... A FOOTBALL TEAM they can be proud of, we already have a CLUB we are proud to be associated with and to be honest this season has been utterly heart breaking, even more than losing to Hearts in a cup final.

Likewise I hope we can grab a goal in the first half on Sunday and put the tie to bed as they say.

mjhibby
22-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Your probably right about the re-write to be fair!

However I generally find that English talks a reasonable amount of sense about football in general and I dont think he hid the fact last night that he thought we would struggle and find it hard to score, didnt we all think that?

You are right the Scottish media have gone way OTT IMO about us and IIRC the Sun last week described us as "hopeless Hibs"...... Not quite so hopeless now though.....

As for Gordon he is an utter ****ing clown of a man.... He literally delights in seeing us beat and any problems we might have... He hates us with a passion but if we come good he's that two-faced he'll try and act like he's our biggest fan..... TBH Hibs should take the Rangers route with the BBC and just ban the ****ing lot of them for a bit....

I also agree to an extent with the comment someone made about Robertson looking for Edinburgh football to be strong, he makes no attempt to hide his allegiance with Hearts but I do think he would like to see both clubs up the top end of the Premiership....

The anti hibs bias at BBC Scotland is now beyond parody. Along with sympathy for the team who robbed others of £28m and the wonderful dons team show them to be amateurish at best. We should expect and get better from our national broadcaster and Gordon dislike for hibs is so on unprofessional it's not true. Along with constantly sending hearts supporting commentators for hibs games they are cringeworthy to listen too. Compare the panels verdict on last night and hibs in general to Michael Stewart balanced view on sportscene and you can see that none of those on the radio should work for our national radio station. Stewart pointed out that things hadn't gone hibs way and injuries to Robertson,heffernan.hanlon etc had greatly affected hibs season. We all know this season has been bad but the way sportsound cover it is so lacking in impartiality it's embarrassing. It's like wee boys talking about football. Apart from English and robbo I'd bin the lot of them rant over. Btw funny how they seem to be gleeful at hibs demise and nobody mentioned how much of a blow to Scottish football and the spfl finances if we had gone down. I'm sure sky and bt sport would have been far from happy with a league minus a quarter of the best teams.

Expecting Rain
22-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Next season should see us on the road to recovery with more than a few new faces supplementing the decent players we already have at Easter Road, it would be great if this in turn attracts the lapsed fans amongst our support, we need a positive approach and nothing less.

MurrayfieldHibs
22-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Agree almost entirely with that post, well put:aok:

For all the good RP & STF have done in re-building ER,delivering a state of the art training facility and putting the club on a sound financial footing, I find it utterly amazing that they dont seem to grasp (and they are top businessmen, thats beyond doubt) that they are driving even hard core supporters away from games by sufficating the football side.

The clue for them has always been in the name: Hibernain FOOTBALL Club......

Deliver something on the park thats competitive and worth watching and people will come back... We are not Motherwell who finish runners-up two seasons in a row and still cant grow their support..... Hibs look even like finishing 2nd next season (provided we finish the job in hand) then people will come back in their droves but the manager has to be backed to the hilt and a maybe even a punt taken on investing in success....

There arent many clubs who can take more than 35,000 to Hampden, the fans are out there they just have to be given what they want..... A FOOTBALL TEAM they can be proud of, we already have a CLUB we are proud to be associated with and to be honest this season has been utterly heart breaking, even more than losing to Hearts in a cup final.

Likewise I hope we can grab a goal in the first half on Sunday and put the tie to bed as they say.

Agreed. You just need to look at the turn out on 2nd January to see the potential of this club. We need people at the top who understand that this is meant to be an ENTERTAINMENT business!

NAE NOOKIE
22-05-2014, 10:54 AM
No doubt we have had a good kicking from the press over the last two years. Especially hard to take against a backdrop of an apparent Yam love in with the reason for their collapse being conveniently brushed aside.

But the truth is that we as a club deserve every bit of criticism we have had directed our way. Our inability, in fact utter failure, to cash in on the demise of two of our biggest rivals has been car crash viewing, not least of all for those of us who pay for the privilege. If there are journalists out there with an ant Hibs agenda hell mend Hibs for giving them so much ammunition.

Lets not get deflected by turning our anger against these journalists, no matter how deserved it might be. The real problem here is within Easter Road and we all know it.

Everything you need to make a successful club is there. The infrastructure, a budget which is 'allegedly' better than most of our rivals and a support who turn out in numbers at the slightest hint of progress.

The one thing that cannot be denied in all of this no matter what the future holds is that the people in charge of Hibs for the last 7 years have failed miserably to get it to where it should be and needs to be ..... why then should we have any faith in their ability to do any better in the next 7 years?

How many wake up calls do they need before they realise that radical action is needed? It looks like that for the second season out of the last three we will stagger over the finishing line just ahead of a relegation place. Two cup finals in which we have capitulated miserably ... Yes we did well to get there and there were factors outwith our control in both games .... but stuff like failure to sign a decent right and left back didnt help either.

If we dont get this sorted for next season and finish second bottom again it wont be Hamilton Accies we end up against, it will be The Rangers or the Yams, hands up who thinks we could win a two leg affair against any of these two with the team we have now.

I hope Leeann Dempster can work miracles. The first one she is going to have to work is how to keep season ticket sales at the level of the last two seasons ........ I wish her all the very very best.

Perhaps unlike STF and RP she will realise that bums on seats are the first thing on the business plan for the financial health and that the way to that is entertaining or if not at least winning football. A fact which appears to have been totally missed in the last few years.

--------
22-05-2014, 10:58 AM
The anti hibs bias at BBC Scotland is now beyond parody. Along with sympathy for the team who robbed others of £28m and the wonderful dons team show them to be amateurish at best. We should expect and get better from our national broadcaster and Gordon dislike for hibs is so on unprofessional it's not true. Along with constantly sending hearts supporting commentators for hibs games they are cringeworthy to listen too. Compare the panels verdict on last night and hibs in general to Michael Stewart balanced view on sportscene and you can see that none of those on the radio should work for our national radio station. Stewart pointed out that things hadn't gone hibs way and injuries to Robertson,heffernan.hanlon etc had greatly affected hibs season. We all know this season has been bad but the way sportsound cover it is so lacking in impartiality it's embarrassing. It's like wee boys talking about football. Apart from English and robbo I'd bin the lot of them rant over. Btw funny how they seem to be gleeful at hibs demise and nobody mentioned how much of a blow to Scottish football and the spfl finances if we had gone down. I'm sure sky and bt sport would have been far from happy with a league minus a quarter of the best teams.

Completely agree. The contrast between the bile that Gordon and his ilk were spewing and Stewart's comments on the late show was as wide as the Grand Canyon.

I didn't like Stewart at first, but he's developed into an excellent summariser and studio commentator and I have to say I was relieved and delighted to see him on Sportscene last night. His presence meant we got at least one sensible and intelligent opinion on the game. I think he was the only person covering the game last night who even mentioned the long-term injuries Butcher has had to contend with.

leggeto
22-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't think that's the way he sees things, tbh. I think he's more concerned at the state of the club - like I say, Hibs should not be in this situation.

Memo to Chairman and Board for next season - success in football isn't measured on the FTSE. It's all about LEAGUE PLACINGS, and good football, guys.

Try and remember that? :rolleyes:

Yeah he does get stuck into us,but not just him who was so convinced we were going to lose they didn't want to say they got it wrong,its a big GIRUT from me

Kato
22-05-2014, 11:06 AM
No doubt we have had a good kicking from the press over the last two years. Especially hard to take against a backdrop of an apparent Yam love in with the reason for their collapse being conveniently brushed aside.

But the truth is that we as a club deserve every bit of criticism we have had directed our way.

I totally agree - we have to listen to the critcism and take it on board. However when most people on here complain about the coverage on Sportsound it's nothing to do with the criticism, it's the fact that they revel in it. Preston clearly gets excited when Hibs are getting beat and has cheered on many occasions when the opposition has scored against us - he also has that "deflated" sound if Hibs score. Gordon also has a chuckle or three when things aren't going our way.

They clearly enjoy their day when we get beat and sound downbeat if we get a result.

Criticism is one thing - but blatant bias shouldn't be allowed at the BBC.

Before this gets labelled as paranoid BBC Scotland admits that the above goes on, several people I know haev complained over the years and they get a standard reply, not in any way denying what goes on but passing it off as "banter".

Ban them - tell the press why the are banned.

Onion
22-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Most of the media don't even attempt to hide their glee at what's happening at ER. They are gagging for Hibs to collapse in a sorry mess. You're also right about the lack of balanced viewpoints. In what possible way would it be good for Hibs to be replaced by Hamilton in the Premiership ? The simple fact is, it wouldn't. Who knows what their problem is. Petrie's poor media relations ? Hibs fans wanting their beloved Gers relegated ? Hibs fans mocking Hearts ? Religious bigotry ? Or just deep-rooted small-man complexes ? Who knows. But the coverage we've had over the last few weeks - for a club that has always tried to do the right thing and live within its means - has gone well beyond having a chuckle at a big team struggling. It has been vindictive.

Our club is a mess from top to bottom. But it's OUR mess and I'll not have some simpleton ex-Hearts players getting their rocks off on it. The Yams are down for good reason - they more than deserved it. Hibs will continue to try work within our own means, and with complete integrity. Something which the Huns and Yams will never understand.

Jim44
22-05-2014, 12:26 PM
When I gloated at Gordon's massive disappointment when Aberdeen were pipped at the post last week, quite a number leapt to his defence to say how great a guy he really is. Sorry guys, he is a first rate midden.

midfield_maestro
22-05-2014, 12:34 PM

This is the sort of paranoid pish I'd expect to read on Jambos Kickback. This story only exists because of an abysmal run of form, and Tom English's musings on it have been extremely fair all season.

PatHead
22-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Most of the media don't even attempt to hide their glee at what's happening at ER. They are gagging for Hibs to collapse in a sorry mess. You're also right about the lack of balanced viewpoints. In what possible way would it be good for Hibs to be replaced by Hamilton in the Premiership ? The simple fact is, it wouldn't. Who knows what their problem is. Petrie's poor media relations ? Hibs fans wanting their beloved Gers relegated ? Hibs fans mocking Hearts ? Religious bigotry ? Or just deep-rooted small-man complexes ? Who knows. But the coverage we've had over the last few weeks - for a club that has always tried to do the right thing and live within its means - has gone well beyond having a chuckle at a big team struggling. It has been vindictive.

Our club is a mess from top to bottom. But it's OUR mess and I'll not have some simpleton ex-Hearts players getting their rocks off on it. The Yams are down for good reason - they more than deserved it. Hibs will continue to try work within our own means, and with complete integrity. Something which the Huns and Yams will never understand.

Wonder if they want Hibs to fail so that the Premiership struggles and they can blame it all on the way we treated their beloved The Rangers. Armageddon and that.

Our treatment is a disgrace especially when you look at the love in with Hearts and Motherwell who are living outwith their means.

The Sea-gull
22-05-2014, 12:48 PM
I totally agree - we have to listen to the critcism and take it on board. However when most people on here complain about the coverage on Sportsound it's nothing to do with the criticism, it's the fact that they revel in it. Preston clearly gets excited when Hibs are getting beat and has cheered on many occasions when the opposition has scored against us - he also has that "deflated" sound if Hibs score. Gordon also has a chuckle or three when things aren't going our way.

They clearly enjoy their day when we get beat and sound downbeat if we get a result.

Criticism is one thing - but blatant bias shouldn't be allowed at the BBC.

Before this gets labelled as paranoid BBC Scotland admits that the above goes on, several people I know haev complained over the years and they get a standard reply, not in any way denying what goes on but passing it off as "banter".

Ban them - tell the press why the are banned.

Really good post, especially the bits in bold.

If I've grapsed it right, you think the same way as me on this in that the criticism of Hibs is deserved but the manner in which it is delivered on the bbc, the almost blanket enjoyment of our plight, is the issue.

Not sure about banning them but would not be surprised if the board has considered it given they are reckoned to have a fairly low opinion of the Scottish media anyway.

Short term it may have an impact but have Rangers and Hearts not banned the bbc in the past and it soon gets forgotten about.

Nailrod
22-05-2014, 12:48 PM
This is the sort of paranoid pish I'd expect to read on Jambos Kickback. This story only exists because of an abysmal run of form, and Tom English's musings on it have been extremely fair all season.Be fair. You would get this kind of paranoid pish on Celtic Forums as well.

ALF TUPPER
22-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Who was it that messaged you?

Callum, ........ good question mate. :aok:

I had "tweeted" asking if "Team Jambo" ( my reference to BBC sportsound team) were all going to the game and if he and Preston might like to come over and say hello to the Hibs' support?

The response was " tonight - we are not Team Jambo but TeamAccies" . It included a smiley emoticon thingy. I'm sure it was intended as a joke. However, I didnt take it like that ( but probably should have).

I was dumbstruck by the reply. Take from it what you want but it confirmed by long held belief that the Beeb is unbiased.

I have other views on this but an Admin might kick me off !!

Anyhoo - to answer your question ........ Richard Gordon !

Geo_1875
22-05-2014, 01:14 PM

But the truth is that we as a club deserve every bit of criticism we have had directed our way.......

We may deserve criticism but several clubs over the last few years have deserved at least as much criticism from the media but have managed to avoid it. Why's that?

bigwheel
22-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Callum, ........ good question mate. :aok:

I had "tweeted" asking if "Team Jambo" ( my reference to BBC sportsound team) were all going to the game and if he and Preston might like to come over and say hello to the Hibs' support?

The response was " tonight - we are not Team Jambo but TeamAccies" . It included a smiley emoticon thingy. I'm sure it was intended as a joke. However, I didnt take it like that ( but probably should have).

I was dumbstruck by the reply. Take from it what you want but it confirmed by long held belief that the Beeb is unbiased.

I have other views on this but an Admin might kick me off !!

Anyhoo - to answer your question ........ Richard Gordon !

Do you no think a sense of humour bypass here...you've teased them with team Jambo and they've zinged you back. Team accies. - see what I did there ? :).

You know what - take it as compliment that they laugh at how bad we've been - they wouldn't do it for a st Mirren or Patrick or even Kilmarnock or Motherwell.....by and large, they've been right - we've been stinking ! Let's hope we can stay up, and start winning more point regularly and then we can laugh at them....

Kato
22-05-2014, 01:34 PM
If I've grapsed it right, you think the same way as me on this in that the criticism of Hibs is deserved but the manner in which it is delivered on the bbc, the almost blanket enjoyment of our plight, is the issue.

Without doubt.

Not sure about banning them but would not be surprised if the board has considered it given they are reckoned to have a fairly low opinion of the Scottish media anyway.

Short term it may have an impact but have Rangers and Hearts not banned the bbc in the past and it soon gets forgotten about.

I wouldn't ban the BBC, just those two. In fact stop them coming in next time they were at ER. That'll give them a story. It would be a storm in a teacup but it really doesn't matter, sitting back saying nowt just urges them on.

jacomo
22-05-2014, 01:42 PM

But the truth is that we as a club deserve every bit of criticism we have had directed our way. Our inability, in fact utter failure, to cash in on the demise of two of our biggest rivals has been car crash viewing, not least of all for those of us who pay for the privilege. If there are journalists out there with an ant Hibs agenda hell mend Hibs for giving them so much ammunition.

Lets not get deflected by turning our anger against these journalists, no matter how deserved it might be. The real problem here is within Easter Road and we all know it.

Everything you need to make a successful club is there. The infrastructure, a budget which is 'allegedly' better than most of our rivals and a support who turn out in numbers at the slightest hint of progress.

The one thing that cannot be denied in all of this no matter what the future holds is that the people in charge of Hibs for the last 7 years have failed miserably to get it to where it should be and needs to be ..... why then should we have any faith in their ability to do any better in the next 7 years?

How many wake up calls do they need before they realise that radical action is needed? It looks like that for the second season out of the last three we will stagger over the finishing line just ahead of a relegation place. Two cup finals in which we have capitulated miserably ... Yes we did well to get there and there were factors outwith our control in both games .... but stuff like failure to sign a decent right and left back didnt help either.

If we dont get this sorted for next season and finish second bottom again it wont be Hamilton Accies we end up against, it will be The Rangers or the Yams, hands up who thinks we could win a two leg affair against any of these two with the team we have now.

I hope Leeann Dempster can work miracles. The first one she is going to have to work is how to keep season ticket sales at the level of the last two seasons ........ I wish her all the very very best.

Perhaps unlike STF and RP she will realise that bums on seats are the first thing on the business plan for the financial health and that the way to that is entertaining or if not at least winning football. A fact which appears to have been totally missed in the last few years.

:agree: Thoroughly excellent post.

Rod's cryptic message about "the winds of change" blowing through the club might be proof that the penny has finally dropped. The appointment of an experienced CEO from another football club is another positive sign... I know nothing about Ms Dempster really but from the outside Motherwell appear to have been doing all the right things... appointing the right managers, giving them the best available resources and trying to involve the fans.

Let's hope things are turning for the better. Getting through Sunday is crucial however or all bets are off.

ALF TUPPER
22-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Do you no think a sense of humour bypass here...you've teased them with team Jambo and they've zinged you back. Team accies. - see what I did there ? :).

You know what - take it as compliment that they laugh at how bad we've been - they wouldn't do it for a st Mirren or Patrick or even Kilmarnock or Motherwell.....by and large, they've been right - we've been stinking ! Let's hope we can stay up, and start winning more point regularly and then we can laugh at them....

Incidentally , that should have read ... " the BBC are biased" not unbiased.

You are the voice of reason here. I most likely have had a sense of humour bypass. During the past year the Hibees have totally drained me . I should probably have taken the comment as it was intended. But i've reached the stage that everything I hear or read is possibly misconstrued as another closet jambo taking a cheap pop at my Hibees. I'm being defensive.

I might be opening a can of beans here commenting on this? See what " I " did there? :)

I'm looking forward to Sunday when hopefully we get the result we need and we can forget this season. Then , the Hibees can come back bigger and better and stronger next season.

Same time next week Dr Bigwheel ? :)))))

The Sea-gull
22-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Without doubt.

I wouldn't ban the BBC, just those two. In fact stop them coming in next time they were at ER. That'll give them a story. It would be a storm in a teacup but it really doesn't matter, sitting back saying nowt just urges them on.

Yes, it would be interesting though I suspect the media would engineer it to make Hibs look bad. It's almost pointless bothering with it all really as if anyone confronts any of them about it they close ranks and say things like "I call it like I see it" and "you're only hearing it how you want to hear it" (in reference to anyone who calls them on their bias on twitter etc).

bigwheel
22-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Incidentally , that should have read ... " the BBC are biased" not unbiased.

You are the voice of reason here. I most likely have had a sense of humour bypass. During the past year the Hibees have totally drained me . I should probably have taken the comment as it was intended. But i've reached the stage that everything I hear or read is possibly misconstrued as another closet jambo taking a cheap pop at my Hibees. I'm being defensive.

I might be opening a can of beans here commenting on this? See what " I " did there? :)

I'm looking forward to Sunday when hopefully we get the result we need and we can forget this season. Then , the Hibees can come back bigger and better and stronger next season.

Same time next week Dr Bigwheel ? :)))))

Hahaha. I know what you mean...it does cheese me off when they are laughing at us. Unfortunately , We have been so amazingly brilliant at giving them great material for the past few years !! It's been like tap ins from 2 yards for them every week on the radio...

Let's hope we finish the job on Sunday and it turns out to be a defining moment - the one that started the journey to redemption !

If it does go pear shaped we will all be needing a doctor ! ;-). See you behind the goals !

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 02:11 PM
This is the sort of paranoid pish I'd expect to read on Jambos Kickback. This story only exists because of an abysmal run of form, and Tom English's musings on it have been extremely fair all season.

Paranoid pish?? Ha ha!! That lot at the BBC have taken it in turns to rip the piss. First thing tom English said after the game last night was a dig at Hibs fans having a go back at them on Twitter!!! You know what?? If these so called pundits keep tearing our club to bits week in week out expect a reaction when we get a result in a massive game. I agree that criticism has been rightly deserved but in my non paranoid opinion it's been way over the top. Tom English said last night Hibs fans won't be fooled by this result.... What a ****ing genius of a statement eh?? No we won't, but we were entitled to some celebrating winning that game. The only one to give us any praise for coming away with a victory last night was Mikey Stewart... The rest were tripping over there bottom lips as they didn't get the story they craved so much. Tools the lot of them....

147lothian
22-05-2014, 03:14 PM

What good post! I have long felt if RP doesn't increase the budget, to seize the moment rather show STF that books are balanced the malaise could kill the club, its time to give the manager the funds, increase the budget, take some big chances when players like Griffiths become available, I hope Dempster gets a say and doesn't have RP to seek RP's approval but somehow I doubt this will happen

Brunswickbill
22-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Tom English predicted a 1-0 win for Accies before the game last night. And predicted that Hibs wouldn't be able to overcome this at ER. No-one like to be shown to be wrong and there is a reluctance to praise the Hibs for the result. Hibs going down has been the story and the so-called expert pundits have been busy promoting this line. Big team being beaten by a wee team makes a good news story. I don't think hat he gives full credit to Cummings for his first goal, he seems to imply that the Accies goalie was at fault for the first goal but I thought that it was a fantastic strike that dipped over the goalie. The second goal was an absolute peach.

Listening to the commentary last night, there was a lot of talk about what Accies had to do to get back into the game and score a goal. A sense of an undercurrent of wanting their predictions of a Hibs loss to come true. There's no doubt a number of jumbos on the BBC Sportsound staff and they make no bones about it and there is no counter voice expressing out and out support for the Hibs so I think you could at least say that the programme is unbalanced if not biased.

But the bottom line is that we have been cr*p for a number of years and you'll only get praise if you start to play good football. It's up to Butcher to get it sorted so let's hope that at long last we have a manager who can get a successful team on the park

NAE NOOKIE
22-05-2014, 04:01 PM
We may deserve criticism but several clubs over the last few years have deserved at least as much criticism from the media but have managed to avoid it. Why's that?

The simple answer is I dont know Geo ..... There is a Yam overload at the BBC no doubt about it and that doesnt help.

I'm not saying that the criticism aimed at ER hasnt been excessive to the point where its pushed us to the conclusion that some parts of the media want us to fail. But the point I was trying to make is that this is a side issue. If we start thinking that the problems at ER are in any way being blown out of proportion by the media we will lose focus ....... The problems are real and the end results are there for all to see, that has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with the people who have been running Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I used to think he was one of the good guys, but his amnesia towards Hearts and how they got themselves into their position leaves me thinking he's just as bad as the rest.

Cameron1875
22-05-2014, 04:26 PM
I get a wee inkling that he is so critical of Hibs because we might actually be his Scottish team :wink:.

He's a much better journo than the majority up here an all those tubes on sportsound e.g. (CHAAAAAANNNNCEEEEE and then not telling us who for an what happened!)

GlenrothesHibee
22-05-2014, 04:29 PM
He has been spot on when it comes to Hibs. Rate him as a journo.

Spike Mandela
22-05-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm not paranoid but THEY are out to get me you know.:cb

147lothian
22-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Lots of journalist's just say what they have been told by club chairman, and the club chairmen keep telling the journalists their stories to put their spin on it. A lot of journalists wont say anything that isn't sanctioned. Tom English to be fair to him isn't one of them, to me that makes him one of the few who views are worth listening to, I don't see him as being anti Hibs.

--------
22-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Exactly my feelings. :top marks

mjhibby
22-05-2014, 05:06 PM
It is one thing to receive criticism for being gash for the last three months which we have totally deserved but the frankly ott abuse given to our club has been disgraceful. I'm damn sure if they talked about the ugly sisters or our jambo pals in the same tone their fans would go bananas. Who is to blame for this happening I've no idea and yes hibs playing successful attractive football will get them onside there is no need for the nonsense they spout. To me only the Arabs have been good to watch this season but you would think the dons were Barcelona the way they are praised. What is actually the most annoying thing is I think that the standard of football in the spfl is the worse for many a year and we have been awful through it.

SunshineOnLeith
22-05-2014, 05:13 PM
It's a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Brizo
22-05-2014, 05:23 PM
In the dumbed down world of Sportsound punditry and comment I rate Tom English way ahead of Doddsy, Preston, Robbo, Chick, Murdo etc.

English and Craig Patterson are the ones who drag it out of inarticulate buffoonery. Im not getting the anti Richard Gordon stuff... maybe ive missed some anti Hibs comments fro him. Im also getting a bit worried there seems to be the start of a bit of a Michael Stewart love in ... im still not convinced he 's just a thinner , better dressed , better spoken Preston.

As for anti Hibs bias I thought our media coverage when TB arrived was very positive. Its the results that have changed that. Id suggest theres far harsher critics on here than in the sportsound sandpit.

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 05:29 PM
In the dumbed down world of Sportsound punditry and comment I rate Tom English way ahead of Doddsy, Preston, Robbo, Chick, Murdo etc.

English and Craig Patterson are the ones who drag it out of inarticulate buffoonery. Im not getting the anti Richard Gordon stuff... maybe ive missed some anti Hibs comments fro him. Im also getting a bit worried there seems to be the start of a bit of a Michael Stewart love in ... im still not convinced he 's just a thinner , better dressed , better spoken Preston.

As for anti Hibs bias I thought our media coverage when TB arrived was very positive. Its the results that have changed that. Id suggest theres far harsher critics on here than in the sportsound sandpit.

I rate Geoffrey, Bungle, Zippy and George ahead of those you mentioned.....

--------
22-05-2014, 05:30 PM

Did you hear Stewart last night? Intelligent, fair, and focussed. Credit where credit's due.

--------
22-05-2014, 05:36 PM
I rate Geoffrey, Bungle, Zippy and George ahead of those you mentioned.....

I watched a Scotland match with an American friend a few years back, and Dodds was the studio summariser.

My Yanqui mate listened to him for a few minutes, then turned to me and with absolute seriousness asked me, "Tell me - did that guy just fall out of a tree? Because he's either brain-damaged or incompletely evolved."

Iggy Pope
22-05-2014, 05:44 PM
I watched a Scotland match with an American friend a few years back, and Dodds was the studio summariser.

My Yanqui mate listened to him for a few minutes, then turned to me and with absolute seriousness asked me, "Tell me - did that guy just fall out of a tree? Because he's either brain-damaged or incompletely evolved."

Listen to much American sports commentary does he?

--------
22-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Listen to much American sports commentary does he?

NHL and NFL, actually, and I listen with him, and mostly they know what they're talking about - not a charge that can ever be laid at Billy Dodds's door.

EVENTUALLY
22-05-2014, 06:15 PM

I used to be like you but Mr. Gordon slipped up massively on Open all Mikes two years ago when Cowdenbeath scored after19 seconds against Hibs in the Scottish Cup. The guffaw of laughter and sheer glee which accompanied his announcement of the goal was a clear sign of his enjoyment at learning of Hibs failing yet again in the SC.

Paisley Hibby
22-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Wow, just read this thread and thought I'd stayed on to Kerrydale Street or The Huddle by mistake. Get a grip guys, these are journalists and what's been happening at Hibs is a story. It's not personal, just journalism.

I normally rate Tom English as an exception to the succulent lamb brigade. However, listening to him after last night's game, it genuinely sounded like he was truly gutted at what had happened and I couldn't get my head round it. Very strange.

Anyway, for the next few weeks there is no story in Scottish football except the next Celtic manager. So we'll soon be complaining that the media never talk about Hibs.

marinello59
22-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Wow, just read this thread and thought I'd stayed on to Kerrydale Street or The Huddle by mistake. Get a grip guys, these are journalists and what's been happening at Hibs is a story. It's not personal, just journalism.

I normally rate Tom English as an exception to the succulent lamb brigade. However, listening to him after last night's game, it genuinely sounded like he was truly gutted at what had happened and I couldn't get my head round it. Very strange.

Anyway, for the next few weeks there is no story in Scottish football except the next Celtic manager. So we'll soon be complaining that the media never talk about Hibs.

:top marks

lobster
22-05-2014, 07:43 PM

:top marks First and last paragraphs. Middle bit slumps badly.

silverhibee
22-05-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm not paranoid but THEY are out to get me you know.:cb

:paranoid:

Deansy
23-05-2014, 01:33 AM

You just know that's what will happen - it's Hibs !

However, apart from that, agree entirely with every word of your post !

Phil D. Rolls
23-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Sorry, but this thread is an embarrassment.

Does anybody seriously think that anyone at the BBC gives a monkeys what happens to Hibs? The charges against them seem to be that they are reporting what we already know to be the case, Hibs are in a mess; that some of their commentators (if not all) have an agenda against us; and that they have talked up Hamilton over us in the play off tie.

If you are paranoid enough to believe that they are fabricating lies and portraying Hibs in an unfavourable light, I don't know how you can log onto Hibs.net and read what we write on here. There is more bile and hatred of the current regime on here than you will find anywhere else. There's plenty on here would be complaining that they weren't showing any interest in us at all, if they didn't reflect it.

Those commentators accused of having an agenda against us probably face the same charge from every set of fans in the country. Nobody likes to hear other people criticising their own. They might be rubbish, but they are OUR rubbish, how very dare they laugh at us when we are so important, and are a big club that deserves more respect. Even though we think we are a disgrace.

Again, when it comes to their balance on the play off. Right up to Wednesday night, WE were talking Hamilton up. We've seen the first leg now, and the big boy has finally put the wee boy in their place. Any neutral watching the tie would pretty much say there is a gulf in class between the teams. BBC have to sell the second leg, and give the Hamilton fans the same respect we are demanding (see the irony here). Of course they have to talk up Hamilton's chances, how else do they get people to tune in.

Nobody likes to be told their flies are down. At the end of the day though, you shouldn't blame others for laughing at you, when it's your own bloody fault in the first place. Get real people: either we are a big club that deserves to be told it should be doing better; or we are not and don't deserve any attention.

Kato
23-05-2014, 09:59 AM

You're post is an embarrassment to your reading skills as you are not picking up on what people are complaining about re- Sportsounds' coverage of Hibs.

silverhibee
23-05-2014, 10:46 AM
I used to be like you but Mr. Gordon slipped up massively on Open all Mikes two years ago when Cowdenbeath scored after19 seconds against Hibs in the Scottish Cup. The guffaw of laughter and sheer glee which accompanied his announcement of the goal was a clear sign of his enjoyment at learning of Hibs failing yet again in the SC.

Remember that well, was in my car at the time, the score came through and they all had a good laugh at our expense, bunch of roasters.

JimBHibees
23-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Remember that well, was in my car at the time, the score came through and they all had a good laugh at our expense, bunch of roasters.

I think the worst one was the when Ross County scored the equaliser at ER in the cup a few years back. Blobbo and Preston were hysterically guffawing like some pre-pubescent teenagers.

NAE NOOKIE
23-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I think the worst one was the when Ross County scored the equaliser at ER in the cup a few years back. Blobbo and Preston were hysterically guffawing like some pre-pubescent teenagers.

Ach ............. what dae ye expect frae Yams ... have ye heard Preston when they are daft enough tae send him tae the Wongadome?

Oooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

That was nearly a hearts corner Richard ........... ma bonnie boys ... I mean hearts... are getting closer!!!

Phil D. Rolls
23-05-2014, 12:29 PM
You're post is an embarrassment to your reading skills as you are not picking up on what people are complaining about re- Sportsounds' coverage of Hibs.

Possibly, but I don't know how you can measure what people are complaining about. My feeling is that they are hitting a raw nerve with us, but that most people not involved might not see their broadcasts as OTT. If other fans were truly annoyed about Hearts for example, they'd complain to.

The consensus on here seems to be we are a joke. Is it any wonder people laugh?

macd123
23-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Fenlon had a harder time of it because he was not part of the largs crowd and never played for the old firm. Pretty much every spl manager is ex old firm and it helps to be part of the clique and have established contacts at the daily record and bbc before you start.

--------
23-05-2014, 11:29 PM

Does anybody seriously think that anyone at the BBC gives a monkeys what happens to Hibs? The charges against them seem to be that they are reporting what we already know to be the case, Hibs are in a mess; that some of their commentators (if not all) have an agenda against us; and that they have talked up Hamilton over us in the play off tie.

If you are paranoid enough to believe that they are fabricating lies and portraying Hibs in an unfavourable light, I don't know how you can log onto Hibs.net and read what we write on here. There is more bile and hatred of the current regime on here than you will find anywhere else. There's plenty on here would be complaining that they weren't showing any interest in us at all, if they didn't reflect it.

Those commentators accused of having an agenda against us probably face the same charge from every set of fans in the country. Nobody likes to hear other people criticising their own. They might be rubbish, but they are OUR rubbish, how very dare they laugh at us when we are so important, and are a big club that deserves more respect. Even though we think we are a disgrace.

Again, when it comes to their balance on the play off. Right up to Wednesday night, WE were talking Hamilton up. We've seen the first leg now, and the big boy has finally put the wee boy in their place. Any neutral watching the tie would pretty much say there is a gulf in class between the teams. BBC have to sell the second leg, and give the Hamilton fans the same respect we are demanding (see the irony here). Of course they have to talk up Hamilton's chances, how else do they get people to tune in.

Nobody likes to be told their flies are down. At the end of the day though, you shouldn't blame others for laughing at you, when it's your own bloody fault in the first place. Get real people: either we are a big club that deserves to be told it should be doing better; or we are not and don't deserve any attention.

:top marks

I can think of no way in which BBC Scotland could possibly make Hibs a bigger joke than the people running the club have been doing since the League Cup win in 2007.

BBC coverage of Scottish football's generally dire, but that's because the people in front of the cameras are generally inarticulate and incompetent. Idiots like Gordon, Preston, Robertson and Dodds are abysmally bad broadcasters. They simply can't do their jobs properly. BBC could find any number of ordinary fans posting on websites like this one who would be more objective and intelligent than the yahoos populating "Open All Mikes".

Mind you, I'd say that one aspect of that incompetence is the fact that they so often find it impossible to hide their team loyalties, and to try to dismiss commentators and summarisers making a joke of one team's difficulties, however self-inflicted those difficulties may be, as "banter" is simply dishonest.

But I totally agree with you - the Yahoos wouldn't have such an easy time of mocking Hibs if Hibs (or at least those people at ER who have the power and authority to do so) had acted to put things right a long time ago - as they certainly should have done.

Truth to tell, Hibs ARE a joke these days, and the only way that'll change is if the board and management of the club and team get their act together and put things right.

Otherwise, the jokes will continue and threads like this will turn up over and over again, to the amusement and enjoyment of the very Yahoos people are complaining about.

They must be loving this thread.

lapsedhibee
24-05-2014, 04:47 AM
We've seen the first leg now, and the big boy has finally put the wee boy in their place. Any neutral watching the tie would pretty much say there is a gulf in class between the teams.

Can't argue with your point as I'm not a neutral, but I wouldn't have said there was any gulf in class. On the evidence of Wednesday night, Hamilton are well capable of winning at ER. They weren't good, but neither were we. Two very well taken goals, that was the thing. Sunday's another match entirely. :boo hoo:

alfie
24-05-2014, 08:26 AM
BBC coverage of Scottish football's generally dire, but that's because the people in front of the cameras are generally inarticulate and incompetent. Idiots like Gordon, Preston, Robertson and Dodds are abysmally bad broadcasters. They simply can't do their jobs properly. BBC could find any number of ordinary fans posting on websites like this one who would be more objective and intelligent than the yahoos populating "Open All Mikes".

Mind you, I'd say that one aspect of that incompetence is the fact that they so often find it impossible to hide their team loyalties, and to try to dismiss commentators and summarisers making a joke of one team's difficulties, however self-inflicted those difficulties may be, as "banter" is simply dishonest.

:aok: Spot on!

And then I thought how do you get rid of people's loyalties in footie reporting? You cant, people who want that job will always favour one team over another. So why not turn it around and have a fan (hopefully more articulate and knowledgeable than the eejits currently employed by the Beeb) from both teams reporting on each match? Each one (as a fan) will know the team, manager, form etc. and be able to give more insight and background to the match than a bunch of ex-old firm bampots. Surely that would be more entertaining than the guff thats broadcast currently?

Personally I think Tom English is one of the few journos who knows what he is talking about, and I'm glad he is getting air time in preference to one of the usual suspects, and a massive improvement over what has been before. Jim Traynor anyone?

Jim44
24-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Can't argue with your point as I'm not a neutral, but I wouldn't have said there was any gulf in class. On the evidence of Wednesday night, Hamilton are well capable of winning at ER. They weren't good, but neither were we. Two very well taken goals, that was the thing. Sunday's another match entirely. :boo hoo:

Bang on the money. The two goals apart, I think we were bordering on being useless. Hamilton didn't show up, yet forty minutes into the game the possession was 62%-28%. A two goal lead at half time should be enough for most teams especially with a switch to their own ground but anything could happen tomorrow.

GlenrothesHibee
24-05-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought for most of the first half Hamilton were slicker and far more creative than us
Our goal completely knocked the stuffing out of them. We were lucky to get away with some horrendous defending. This tie is far from over yet.

Phil D. Rolls
24-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Bang on the money. The two goals apart, I think we were bordering on being useless. Hamilton didn't show up, yet forty minutes into the game the possession was 62%-28%. A two goal lead at half time should be enough for most teams especially with a switch to their own ground but anything could happen tomorrow.

That much possession with nothing to show for it suggests they are doing something wrong, or Hibs are doing something right. Michael Stuart pointed out they were hopeless in the final third. Their manager said their decision making was poor.

Seems to me Hibs had the players and tactics to deal with them. Providing the attitude from both is the same, I can't see them winning.

Tbh, I don't think they want it as much as us. However, Hibs have been dogged by inconsistency, and poor confidence all season, so I wouldn't rule out disaster on Sunday. I think it will be Hibs that lose it rather than Hamilton winning it though.

Id expect the analysis after to consider how Hibs got themselves in this mess though. That might mean listening to stuff we know is true, and hearing it from people we don't like. At least it gives us a chance of doing something about it.

We have to take it on the chin. Other clubs have buried their head in the sand, and said that nobody likes them, when they have had the truth pointed out. We don't want to end up in the same mess as them.

Aldo
24-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Jim agree that anything could happen but and yes there is a but.... They had the bulk of possession yet didn't do a lot with it. Yeah we are no great shakes but neither are they tbh..... They will have to go for it and I fully expect us to exploit that in some way.

I think we will win tomorrow and if we score first it's game over in my eyes.

They are definitely not to be under estimated but it's their forth game in a week and a half so we should be fresher.

They did the talking off the pitch and we did it on it.

Hibs to win 3-1 the morn.

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Worryingly though, press and most fans seem to think this is some sort of foregone conclusion.

An early goal for Hamilton tomorrow (very possible if Scotland starts) will see the tie take an entirely different complexion.

I am delighted we are 2-0 up but think that tomorrow will be tougher than we think. I am not convinced.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Who had the rest of the possession? Or is it the time we take to take a throw in?

--------
24-05-2014, 10:51 AM
:aok: Spot on!

And then I thought how do you get rid of people's loyalties in footie reporting? You cant, people who want that job will always favour one team over another. So why not turn it around and have a fan (hopefully more articulate and knowledgeable than the eejits currently employed by the Beeb) from both teams reporting on each match? Each one (as a fan) will know the team, manager, form etc. and be able to give more insight and background to the match than a bunch of ex-old firm bampots. Surely that would be more entertaining than the guff thats broadcast currently?

Personally I think Tom English is one of the few journos who knows what he is talking about, and I'm glad he is getting air time in preference to one of the usual suspects, and a massive improvement over what has been before. Jim Traynor anyone?

Well, BBC manage to have former footballers on MotD whose allegiances are well-known and acknowledged on camera, yet those guys manage to talk about the weekend's games without mocking and insulting the other teams. Hansen and Lawrenson on Everton? Martin Keown on Spurs? Gordon Strachan on Manchester City?

At the risk of being accused of fostering an unhealthy admiration or even affection for Michael Stewart, when he's in the studio discussing a Hibs game, he manages to be reasonably intelligent and impartial about it. He certainly was on Wednesday evening. Unlike the Yahoos on Open All Gobs who don't know the meaning of the words 'intelligent' and 'impartial'. If he can do it, if Craig Paterson can do it, if Pat Nevin can do it, then that standard of sports journalism is what BBC Scotland should be aiming for in all their programs.

But yes, you're right - I'm perfectly sure the BBC could get any number of reasonable intelligent football supporters from fans' websites to do their post-match discussions far better than Yahoos like Preston.

(That's the Alan Preston who knows so much about football that in the period he was manager of Livingston FC - May to November 2005 - the team he coached and managed won precisely ONE competitive match - the first one, 3-0 against ICT. I believe he applied for the St Johnstone job soon after but unsurprisingly wasn't considered. He's now an agent. THAT's how much he knows about football.)

Phil D. Rolls
24-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Well, BBC manage to have former footballers on MotD whose allegiances are well-known and acknowledged on camera, yet those guys manage to talk about the weekend's games without mocking and insulting the other teams. Hansen and Lawrenson on Everton? Martin Keown on Spurs? Gordon Strachan on Manchester City?

At the risk of being accused of fostering an unhealthy admiration or even affection for Michael Stewart, when he's in the studio discussing a Hibs game, he manages to be reasonably intelligent and impartial about it. He certainly was on Wednesday evening. Unlike the Yahoos on Open All Gobs who don't know the meaning of the words 'intelligent' and 'impartial'. If he can do it, if Craig Paterson can do it, if Pat Nevin can do it, then that standard of sports journalism is what BBC Scotland should be aiming for in all their programs.

But yes, you're right - I'm perfectly sure the BBC could get any number of reasonable intelligent football supporters from fans' websites to do their post-match discussions far better than Yahoos like Preston.

(That's the Alan Preston who knows so much about football that in the period he was manager of Livingston FC - May to November 2005 - the team he coached and managed won precisely ONE competitive match - the first one, 3-0 against ICT. I believe he applied for the St Johnstone job soon after but unsurprisingly wasn't considered. He's now an agent. THAT's how much he knows about football.)

For the record.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink said that Celtic have only one more season without anyone challenging for the title, on Reporting Scotland. This was allowed to go unchallenged.

Notwithstanding the fact that Rangers may not be around in two seasons, is the BBC so piss poor that they don't even question HOW they will find the money to challenge Celtic?

Reminds me of the years John Greig was in charge. Everyone knew the title race was between the New Firm, and Celtic. The Scottish media only seemed to find this out until January.

The most depressing thing for me is the total ignorance of the realities of football by reporters. Reminds me of the article in the P&J about 1998, when they said Aberdeen hoped to appoint a manager that would have them winning the Champions League within 3 years.

Whats really sad is how fans swallow this crap. Hence the fact that no one outside Edinburgh gives a toss about Hearts cheating.

Brunswickbill
24-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Tam Cowan on Off the Ball today said that he was coming along the M8 on Wednesday when all the Hibs supporter buses were returning from Hamilton. He was full of praise for the great support and said that he felt that Hibs had to stay up for the good of the Premiership and that he was looking forward to a good Hibs support at Motherwell next season. Fair play to him.

Borderhibbie76
24-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Worryingly though, press and most fans seem to think this is some sort of foregone conclusion.

An early goal for Hamilton tomorrow (very possible if Scotland starts) will see the tie take an entirely different complexion.

I am delighted we are 2-0 up but think that tomorrow will be tougher than we think. I am not convinced.

"That was classic intercourse!"

I don't see or hear many Hibs fans saying the tie is over mate?? Quite the contrary and the players and management have been at pains to say the exact opposite!!

As for the weedgie media who cares...they had us down before a ball was kicked on Weds...they know sweet FA

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

monktonharp
24-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I thought for most of the first half Hamilton were slicker and far more creative than us
Our goal completely knocked the stuffing out of them. We were lucky to get away with some horrendous defending. This tie is far from over yet.of course the tie is not over, far from it but to go by some of the posters , we were lucky to get away with it as you also say.. I totally disagree with that. we tightened up greatly, at the back thanks to much improved performers like Nelson and McGivern.we also had bad luck with the shot hitting the post in the first half, and had some good play from Heff, in the second. I still say that young Harris should have been hooked, very early in the second and possibly replaced by Thompson, but maybe the underfoot conditions influenced the management team on that. It's not over, but we are in poll position, and that needs emphasised.