PDA

View Full Version : Alan maybury

Unseen work
21-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Does not get enough credit IMO. I love the guy. He's older and maybe a easy name because of that to have a go at him.

He has no pace, quite small. BUT you can never tell, he uses his body and experience so well and wingers rarely get anything out of him

Especially as he was only signed as a bit part player this season. Fantastic professional and done us well whenever called up on

truehibernian
21-05-2014, 11:38 PM
My man of the match - superb for full 90 !

hibsbollah
21-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Funny how folk see things differently. He's been my MOTM for our last three games, but tonight I thought he was just OK, nothing special, 6/10. But I'd like him to stay next season.

Michael
21-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Can we transplant his brain to a younger body? He'd be immense.

truehibernian
21-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Funny how folk see things differently. He's been my MOTM for our last three games, but tonight I thought he was just OK, nothing special, 6/10. But I'd like him to stay next season.

Hamilton targeted his side first half Bollah and got precious little change - I thought he was superb, however when Cairney came on he left him exposed.

The Harp Awakes
21-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Alan has been decent in recent weeks. I think he will go on to be a good Manager in future, hopefully with Hibs. He has a brilliant attitude.

steakbake
21-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Actually one of my favourite players in the team regardless of form. He's one you can ever accuse of not trying or caring.

Saorsa
22-05-2014, 12:03 AM
regardless of where he's been before he's done a good job for us, getting on a bit now but rarely has he let the side down.

dmc1875
22-05-2014, 12:06 AM
He's been very consistent over the last few weeks since the Hearts game. Well played Alan :agree:

baggio70
22-05-2014, 12:19 AM
U could never say he doesn't give 110%.but reality is he's getting to old for the spl. We do need an old head in defence but I don't think he's the man to progress us in the right direction. Maybe off the field but not on it. There is a lot of long heigh balls to usually no where to his game.

dmc1875
22-05-2014, 12:22 AM
U could never say he doesn't give 110%.but reality is he's getting to old for the spl. We do need an old head in defence but I don't think he's the man to progress us in the right direction. Maybe off the field but not on it. There is a lot of long heigh balls to usually no where to his game.

He will be more focused on the coaching side next season I think. Forster must be moulded into a RB as I don't see him as a decent option at Centre Back with the number of goals he has been responsible for over the last 6-7 weeks.

We need to remember our defensive record this season was better than any team in the top six by over 10 goals this season, and with the centre back pairing of Hanlon and Nelson we were pretty solid. There is a base of a decent defence at the club its just the other end of the pitch we really need to work at!

steakbake
22-05-2014, 12:54 AM
We need to remember our defensive record this season was better than any team in the top six by over 10 goals this season, and with the centre back pairing of Hanlon and Nelson we were pretty solid. There is a base of a decent defence at the club its just the other end of the pitch we really need to work at!

Very true. people go nuts at the defence but the stats would say we're not bad in that area. It's the lack of people who can finish that's been the problem. If we go one down, we've had nothing to come back with.

monktonharp
22-05-2014, 12:58 AM
not a favorite of mine, by any means but he had a very good game against a lot of younger players. 8/10

Long Time Hibee
22-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Yeah, likewise I thought he was very good tonight. His experience shone through. Well done Alan. My only worry for Sunday is whether has the legs to play 2 games back to back?

lapsedhibee
22-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Yeah, likewise I thought he was very good tonight. His experience shone through. Well done Alan. My only worry for Sunday is whether has the legs to play 2 games back to back?

Wednesday and Sunday are hardly back to back though. Don't you remember when Hibs used to play 1st and 2nd January?

Winston Ingram
22-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Does not get enough credit IMO. I love the guy. He's older and maybe a easy name because of that to have a go at him.

He has no pace, quite small. BUT you can never tell, he uses his body and experience so well and wingers rarely get anything out of him

Especially as he was only signed as a bit part player this season. Fantastic professional and done us well whenever called up on

Couldn't agree more. Not that it's much of an achievement, but he's been one of our better players under the Butchered era:agree:

Scottie
22-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Well done Alan :aok:

Another solid performance

Tonez
22-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Funny how different our opinions can be.

I think he's honking. Gets torn for pace, late to challenge and can't pass the ball, he boots it whatever way he's facing (John smiths advert) :grr: . Him and Nelson gave the ball away time after time by punting it to Hamilton players last night. I think these two should be the first of many players being emptied come Monday morning as they are not good enough and if we have any other RB's on our books then release them aswell because if you can't get a game infront of Maybury then you'd be better finding a new job.

tamig
22-05-2014, 08:05 AM
The thing I like about Maybury is that he rarely wastes a ball going forward. His delivery is fantastic. If only we could get him into these forward positions more often.

bigwheel
22-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Maybury has had much more game time than ever planned this year I'm sure - he rarely had let us down, and he was solid last night. Sunday will be he last game for us , he has earned my respect, good pro and by all accounts a decent coach ! Fingers crossed for a good final game..

greenlex
22-05-2014, 08:17 AM
We need to remember our defensive record this season was better than any team in the top six by over 10 goals this season, and with the centre back pairing of Hanlon and Nelson we were pretty solid. There is a base of a decent defence at the club its just the other end of the pitch we really need to work at! I think you mean bottom six teams but yes I agree with the sentiment. Scoring has been the problem. In the top six its better than Motherwell (McManus included) and only one worse than Dundee Utd's.

SlickShoes
22-05-2014, 08:27 AM
I commend him for coming in when we are in desperate need for a right back and doing a job. He stayed on with us primarily to be a coach, our defensive injuries and the fact Pat Fenlon signed Fraser Mullen to be our starting right back has meant that Maybury had to put his boots on again and play, he's done a decent job and I am thankful he has been about otherwise would have had even less chance of surviving the drop.

SlickShoes
22-05-2014, 08:30 AM

I think he's honking. Gets torn for pace, late to challenge and can't pass the ball, he boots it whatever way he's facing (John smiths advert) :grr: . Him and Nelson gave the ball away time after time by punting it to Hamilton players last night. I think these two should be the first of many players being emptied come Monday morning as they are not good enough and if we have any other RB's on our books then release them aswell because if you can't get a game infront of Maybury then you'd be better finding a new job.

We don't have any right backs other than young laddies in the youth teams, this is the whole reason Maybury has been standing in for so long.

Remember super Pat Fenlon that we were so stupid to get rid of? Well he brought in Fraser Mullen to be our starting right back, that worked out well.

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Sounds like an auld prozzie I was with in Amsterdam.....

Stevie Reid
22-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Has been a good signing for us, and hope he continues in a coaching capacity.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-05-2014, 08:50 AM
He's been tremendous these past 3 or 4 games. There's been a lot of shouts from the terraces that have made me cringe over the years, however by FAR the worst are the clowns that shout "Maybury you Hearts ******* etc" anytime he puts a foot out of place. Awful

leggeto
22-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Fully committed but lacks the pace and quality, butcher will have a right back in mind for next season, a problem for us since Whittaker left

KeithTheHibby
22-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Mr Consistent and has been good for us this season despite having played a lot more games than expected.

hibseleven
22-05-2014, 09:27 AM
if only we could have had him in the team ten years ago!!

Spike Mandela
22-05-2014, 09:39 AM
He's a better right back than Lewis Stevenson.:duck::take that

hibs4thecup1988
22-05-2014, 09:54 AM

:rolleyes:

Heard it all now.

down-the-slope
22-05-2014, 09:56 AM
He is a great bloke with the youngsters / around the Training centre and is exactly the kind of person to bridge the playing side with the coaching & management side - you can tell he is well thought of and seems to enjoy environment at EM.

He is very fit for his age and as already said while he is not going to overlap with the winger numerous times in a game any more is still the best option we have at RB - I would still give him playing contract as even playing on the pitch with U20's can be a real benefit to them at times and a great back up should it arise

calumhibee1
22-05-2014, 09:59 AM
He is a great bloke with the youngsters / around the Training centre and is exactly the kind of person to bridge the playing side with the coaching & management side - you can tell he is well thought of and seems to enjoy environment at EM.

He is very fit for his age and as already said while he is not going to overlap with the winger numerous times in a game any more is still the best option we have at RB - I would still give him playing contract as even playing on the pitch with U20's can be a real benefit to them at times and a great back up should it arise

:agree: Has his limitations as a player but plays to his strenghts and generally puts in a decent performance. Very similar to Stevenson in a way.

Borderhibbie76
22-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Has rarely let us down in last 2 seasons and is still the best full back we currently have. Irs a shame he doesn't always get credit due to his yam background but Alan has been Mr Dependable for us and we have needed him at times this season. We need better imo for next season but I hope he stays on as coach

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

spike220
23-05-2014, 01:37 AM
Thought he has looked solid.

Aldo
23-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Does not get enough credit IMO. I love the guy. He's older and maybe a easy name because of that to have a go at him. He has no pace, quite small. BUT you can never tell, he uses his body and experience so well and wingers rarely get anything out of him Especially as he was only signed as a bit part player this season. Fantastic professional and done us well whenever called up on

I have been saying this for ages. Some folk think he's too old, too slow, is crap and an ex yam to boot.

Yet he's never let us down (my opinion mind)!!

Well done AM

1two
23-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Knows his limits and plays to them.

I'm glad we have him but hope a worthy replacement is found next year

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-05-2014, 06:41 AM
He seems to be well respected by both management and players and if there is a lesson for Butcher and Malpas to learn in the close season, it is maybe that they need somebody in between them and the team. Maybury could be the person for this role.

Onion
23-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Amazed that after this one game, some folk are now saying McGivern and Maybury are OK defenders and should be kept next season :confused: If we get through Sunday, I'm glad the only opinion that matters is Butcher's.

After all he/we have been through this season, do we honestly think think he's really going to trust his job/reputation and the club's position to any of this back 4 next season ? Not a chance. The only one that might survive is Hanlon. The rest will either be shipped out or at best used as back up.

Peevemor
23-05-2014, 06:59 AM

My thoughts exactly.

down-the-slope
23-05-2014, 07:06 AM
He seems to be well respected by both management and players and if there is a lesson for Butcher and Malpas to learn in the close season, it is maybe that they need somebody in between them and the team. Maybury could be the person for this role.

:agree: pretty much what I was saying above (obvious on Wed that instructions were going via him from the sidelines)- in addition we also need somehow to help youngsters make the transition from U20's to 1st team better than we have in recent seasons. There are some unbelievable talents in next couple of levels that should be bolstering our 1st team ranks in next few seasons if we get this right, AM can be an important cog in that working

Thecat23
23-05-2014, 07:07 AM
The guy is a great pro and he's highly thought of by the younger lads. I can see him doing well in coaching and I'd like Hibs to keep him on in this roll.

neil7908
23-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Solid performer who has done us proud in recent weeks - just hope he is either focusing purely on coaching or used very rarely next season as we've been I'm desperate need of a quality and energetic right back for years now.

MWHIBBIES
23-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Amazed that after this one game, some folk are now saying McGivern and Maybury are OK defenders and should be kept next season :confused: If we get through Sunday, I'm glad the only opinion that matters is Butcher's.

After all he/we have been through this season, do we honestly think think he's really going to trust his job/reputation and the club's position to any of this back 4 next season ? Not a chance. The only one that might survive is Hanlon. The rest will either be shipped out or at best used as back up.Absolutely nothing to do with this 1 game for Maybury, he has been solid for 2 years.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Has been reasonable enough most of the time. If we want the team to progress though we need to be looking to get better. We are poor going forward and in the modern game full backs are a big part of that.

Zondervan
23-05-2014, 08:17 AM

I believe his contract as a coach with Hibs is up just about now.

I totally agree with what you say above. The guy seems 100% professional in all aspects of his game.

As an aside, a Hearts fan I know (who's son plays for Hibs youths) hears that Maybury may be approached by Hearts to fill the U20s role vacated by Neilson. Think Levein managed him at Leicester, and did he not play alongside Neilson also?

I hope he stays with us in a coaching capacity though.

Keith_M
23-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Incredible to think the number of comments we've had on this board previously saying he was a useless Hearts has-been and should be punted.

:wink:

DTS
23-05-2014, 10:23 AM
People around me at games are always having a go at him for back tracking into the box when left one on one with a winger. But he knows his body and that he would get done for pace if he went tight so he gets into positions to make very good tackles, has he given a penalty away this season? Doubt it

BVB Hibs
23-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I'd echo the rest of the thoughts on this thread. He's a decent player, no more, no less, but he knows how to play to his strengths and how to get the best out of his performance. Add in that he's also qualified as a coach and is obviously respected by both the management and the players, he's a useful person to have in and around the squad next year.

Nobody is saying he should be playing as our first choice right back next season. But if we bring in a decent right back, we could do a hell of a lot worse than Maybury as a back up. I'd like to see us transition him into a full time coach for the U20's as he seems to be the perfect guy for it, and if that means we've one less role we have to worry about on the pitch for next season then that's all the better. He's more than capable of playing 10/15 games as second choice next year, and I'd rather have him than give him the boot and bring in somebody of a similar quality, because few players will bring the added benefits to the club.

R'Albin
23-05-2014, 10:45 AM

After all he/we have been through this season, do we honestly think think he's really going to trust his job/reputation and the club's position to any of this back 4 next season ? Not a chance. The only one that might survive is Hanlon. The rest will either be shipped out or at best
used as back up.

You'll need to link us all to some of those posts because I certainly haven't seen anybody in this thread say that they think either should be kept on (as players) next season.

hibs4thecup1988
23-05-2014, 12:27 PM
You'll need to link us all to some of those posts because I certainly haven't seen anybody in this thread say that they think either should be kept on (as players) next season.

:agree:

People making things up as usual on here.

McGivern has another year on his contract so we have no choice really, and to be fair if he was centre half I wouldn't mind if we played him, I will never forget the Hawrts scottish cup game at Easter Road - he was immense.

As for Maybury I highly rate him both on and off the park, if you sit lower FF stand you will hear me raving about him. Nothing to do with one game for him.

blackpoolhibs
23-05-2014, 12:43 PM
To improve this club to where it should be, we could do with replacing all the back 4 we have. Thanks for your efforts Alan, but Sunday really has to be his last ever game for Hibs.