PDA

View Full Version : Plastic pitch

tomhorn
21-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Get the grass dug up at Easter Road and get yin doon.

Time For Heroes
21-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Is East Mains plastic?
Wonder if it played a part...... :D

spike220
21-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Is East Mains plastic?
Wonder if it played a part...... :D

:fishin:

Nakedmanoncrack
21-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Pitch was awful, a good advert for why football should be played on grass.

Cracker
21-05-2014, 09:00 PM

Agree thought pitch was so bad!

ancient hibee
21-05-2014, 09:01 PM
If that's what's going down at Murrayfield it'll be like Bambi on Ice.

skipster7
21-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Exactly. Artificial should be kept for 5s imo.

Hiber-nation
21-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Pitch was awful, hopefully that's put the argument to bed.

Jim44
21-05-2014, 09:03 PM
The pitch was the main reason for our inability to control the game tonight. A great result but I'm glad a game on that surface is behind us.

norhfc
21-05-2014, 09:05 PM
that would totally kill off the SPL for me, hate them.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-05-2014, 09:17 PM
It must have been an awful game to watch on TV for any neutral, nobody could control the ball with a first touch , players going off on a run and leaving the ball behind etc. I know it's two poor teams but that pitch made them look many times worse.

Time For Heroes
21-05-2014, 09:22 PM
:fishin:

:D

Scooter
21-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Prob another reason the likes of thommo wasn't risked

Mon Dieu4
22-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Every time one of these threads comes up I've been dead against it, last night proved my point that no matter how far on plastic pitches have come, they play nothing like grass and the ball moves faster than you actually hit it

CentreLine
22-05-2014, 06:17 AM
If that's what's going down at Murrayfield it'll be like Bambi on Ice.

Murrayfield will be like many major football stadia now are where the pitch will be a hybrid combination of plastic and real grass. Best of both worlds? Certainly Arsenal seem to think so at the Emirates

bingo70
22-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Every time one of these threads comes up I've been dead against it, last night proved my point that no matter how far on plastic pitches have come, they play nothing like grass and the ball moves faster than you actually hit it

Most of the year we don't play on grass, it's mud. That doesn't roll how you want it to either.

I didn't see what was wrong with the pitch last night tbh but it appears I'm in the minority.

Doesn't seem to do many Scandinavian countries harm

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Hibs had been training at Spartans to get used to the plastic pitch.

Mon Dieu4
22-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Most of the year we don't play on grass, it's mud. That doesn't roll how you want it to either.

I didn't see what was wrong with the pitch last night tbh but it appears I'm in the minority.

For me that's part of football, its meant to be played on grass, sometimes you get a honking pitch but you just have to get on with it

Islington Hibs
22-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Football is an outdoors game played on grass. End of. I think plastic should outlawed at professional level.

Peevemor
22-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Football is an outdoors game played on grass. End of. I think plastic should outlawed at professional level.

Especially plastic paddies.

LancashireHibby
22-05-2014, 07:22 AM
It must have been an awful game to watch on TV for any neutral, nobody could control the ball with a first touch , players going off on a run and leaving the ball behind etc. I know it's two poor teams but that pitch made them look many times worse.
And that's just on grass!

Borderhibbie76
22-05-2014, 07:23 AM
That pitch was awful...terrible bounce and players struggling tp control the ball and pace of passes...even accies were over hitting passes. Horrendous and glad we managed to get the win. Back to the hallowed turf of Sunday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
22-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Now, now , dinnae exaggerate. The pitches are generally reasonable with the exception of the months of January, February and March when grass tends to stop growing because of low temperatures.

DaveF
22-05-2014, 07:29 AM
I was a bit 'meh' towards artifical surfaces for professional teams, but last night put me firmly in the NO camp.

Even the Hamilton players lost control and possession due to the ball zipping away from them or bouncing way too high. I know the same thing happens on grass (conditions dependent) but it wasn't for me. Grass please.

Bill Milne
22-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Was the pitch supposed to be 3G? It certainly didn't play like it!!

iwasthere1972
22-05-2014, 07:44 AM

That was my thoughts too. Even Hamilton appeared to struggle playing on it and misjudged passes which eventually either went out of play or they lost possession. I was surprised at that because I reckoned that would be their one big advantage.

Keep the grass.

dangermouse
22-05-2014, 07:45 AM
I think one of the problems was when they watered it. The sprinkler system didn't reach the middle of the park so the ball would tend to stick and out on the winks skid away so it was like two different surfaces. I play on these surfaces quite regularly both 7's and 11's and think they are fine.

All this talk about the players not being able to control the ball it's what they're paid to do FFS and they've been crap at it all season no matter what the surface.

Arch Stanton
22-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Said on TV that they had been waterring the pitch for a good few hours beforehand - presumably to make it more zippy and give them an advantage.

It probably wasn't a good advert for those pitches and if anything I'd say it worked against them - wouldn't be surprised if they played better at ER.

lord bunberry
22-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Have none of you been watching hibs this season? We've been unable to judge passes or control the ball on any type of surface this season. I thought the pitch looked great, if we had one we'd soon get used to it and use it to our advantage.

iainm1875
22-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I agree with the OP. I thought the pitch was good, much better that the ER pitch any time after December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--------
22-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Murrayfield will be like many major football stadia now are where the pitch will be a hybrid combination of plastic and real grass. Best of both worlds? Certainly Arsenal seem to think so at the Emirates

:agree:

Yup. That's the way ahead, definitely. But they're expensive to lay and expensive to maintain.

Accies' pitch is the "cheap and nasty" option.

This one doesn't seem to be even as good as the one they had a few years ago, the one they replaced with grass last time they were promoted.

edinburghhibee
22-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I played a final at Spartans ainslay park a few weeks ago and it's nowhere near the standard of grass yet, still needs a lot of work in my eyes. Came off at full time with burns up my legs and arse.

The champagne numbed the pain in the shower tho ;)

Moan the gyle!!!!

Unseen work
22-05-2014, 11:41 AM
I train on 3G twice a week and think it's fantastic especially compared to the pitches I play on a Saturday

Brightside
22-05-2014, 11:45 AM
nothing wrong with 3g pitches. plenty wrong with some of the players tho! and Hybrid is the way forward for our country. Easter Road is shocking...poor covering of grass and a mix of mud and sand below you.

gegs70
22-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Why we're they watering the pitch constantly were they concerned it would melt?

gegs70
22-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Oh and was it 3g 4G or 5g?

edinburghhibee
22-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Fairly certain Spartans is 4g

Jamesie
22-05-2014, 12:26 PM
It seemed to me that the Hamilton players were a lot more comfortable in turning on that pitch than we (understandably) were and we only really got to grips with it in the second half. I'd rather stick to grass personally.

dmc1875
22-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Not a fan of the pitch. The ball bounced and kicked up all the time. Why they watered parts of the pitch as well and not others I have no idea.

Grass for me unless as some have suggested we ever have the finances for a pitch like the Emirates.

Keith_M
22-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Why would anybody water a plastic pitch?

:confused:

cocopops1875
22-05-2014, 12:51 PM
It can only be 3G apparently as 4g and 5g don't actually exist

mutley
22-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Why would anybody water a plastic pitch?:confused:I'd hazzard a guess that the Hamilton players are used to it, and in rainy conditions, and our players may have found it a bit more slippery than grass, and would have given them a litle bit of an advantage? (but it didn't work out)

Mikey09
22-05-2014, 05:26 PM
It can only be 3G apparently as 4g and 5g don't actually exist

Absolutely spot on cocopops.... 3G is the latest stuff. Any club telling you they play on 4G or higher are talking *****!!! Anyway... 3G is good for training but not pro games. Was at an under 16 cup final last night at Hallhill, Dunbar and the grass pitch the boys played on was stunning. Whoever looks after that, hats off to you my friend. Puts pro clubs to shame....

R11Loaded
22-05-2014, 05:36 PM
We have these surfaces at East Mains and it certainly doesn't stop the teams who play on it playing football.

I'd much rather play on 3G every Saturday than the public parks covered in dog ****.

Although being said, I don't trust them either because the surface doesn't give like grass and has cost me a yard of pace already because I twisted my knee two summers ago on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk