PDA

View Full Version : McGivern

spike220
21-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Tonight was all about McGivern for me, he owned his man and looked alive to everything that fell in the box. He looked totally solid as put in a MOTM performance.

Perhaps he has found his position, he looked like a class act, I think he plays better when he isnt trying to spark the attack.

Well done Ryan, take a bow son.

Northernhibee
21-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Him and Nelson were good tonight. Odd lapse of concentration but other than that they can be happy with themselves tonight.

Well done lads.

Allant1981
21-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Yip totally agree, thought the full back 4 had a decent game

eastterrace
21-05-2014, 08:56 PM
yes thought ryan was superb against cuirier took care off him. we caused our own problems by losing the ball in midfield at times.

Brightside
21-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Cmon guys... they just did what they do in every game...lumped every ball away. Lucky Hamilton were piyesh tonight and didn't trouble us....lets not start kidding ourselves on. Perhaps Nelson n McGivern have found their level?

Northernhibee
21-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Cmon guys... they just did what they do in every game...lumped every ball away. Lucky Hamilton were piyesh tonight and didn't trouble us....lets not start kidding ourselves on. Perhaps Nelson n McGivern have found their level?

Nope, they kept a clean sheet against a team who scored ten in their last league game. A good job in anyone's books.

FitbaFolkKen
21-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Defensively we were sound tonight, we haven't kept a clean sheet for how long????? I thought McGivern looked really solid, covered well for Stevenson a couple of times too.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Thought Nelson was the pick of the back line tonight. One silly mistake at the end of the 1st half but apart from that he was solid.

McGivern looked nervy at first but settled and played well too.

emerald green
21-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I wasn't at the game so the only comment I can make is why don't they play well consistently?

Stax
21-05-2014, 09:18 PM
I moaned at the usual suspects 1st half, especially the early stages. But to be fair every player gained pass marks as the game went on. Felt sorry for Harris tonight but he'll blossom in a better team.

truehibernian
21-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Thought Nelson was the pick of the back line tonight. One silly mistake at the end of the 1st half but apart from that he was solid.

Really PB ? Surprises me as you usually call a game well mate.

Thought Nelson was howling second half and bailed out by McGivern and Maybury a few times - he looked tired !

Midfield dropped too deep after the second which didn't help.

I thought Maybury was excellent tonight (again). Calm, composed and assured.

Billy Whizz
21-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Mcgivern was holding his hamstring as he walked off the park at the end. Must be a slight doubt for Sunday if he's tweaked it

SkintHibby
21-05-2014, 10:04 PM
We were up against a lower league team. Thats why RM and MN looked decent tonight.:agree:

Northernhibee
21-05-2014, 10:05 PM
We were up against a lower league team. Thats why RM and MN looked decent tonight.:agree:

Lower league team or not they've been on an excellent run and have been scoring for fun.

Credit where credit is due.

The Harp Awakes
21-05-2014, 10:06 PM
yes thought ryan was superb against cuirier took care off him. we caused our own problems by losing the ball in midfield at times.

Yep. Curier was a handful and his movement was good. McGivern had a tough job but played him well.

Onion
21-05-2014, 10:09 PM

Bit unfair. HAFC have been flying. All the guys can do is try keep a clean sheet - which they did.

Must be tough as a Hibs player at the moment knowing that many will be out the door as soon as Sunday is over. All the more credit to them for giving 100% tonight. Well done TB, well done all the players. It is a HUGE relief to come away with a 0-2 for the second leg.

marleyhib
21-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Think him and Nelson have found their level TBH.

Heedersnvolleys
21-05-2014, 10:10 PM
He is so much better at CH out the road! I really mean that in a good way😀

Onion
21-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Think him and Nelson have found their level TBH.

No need for this tonight. We've just won a crucial match and all the players have given their all. There will be plenty time for analysis and blood-letting later. We need to enjoy the win and look forward to Sunday.

Auckland Hibs
21-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Without trying to put a damper on the result (I don't get to watch games too often with the time difference here in NZ), but I thought both our defence & midfield looked shocking tonight.

I can see why we have shipped so many goals this season, if everything goes well on Sunday then we need at least 3 new defenders and a couple of new midfielders for next season IMO or we'll be in similar position next year.

marleyhib
21-05-2014, 10:32 PM
No need for this tonight. We've just won a crucial match and all the players have given their all. There will be plenty time for analysis and blood-letting later. We need to enjoy the win and look forward to Sunday.

Both for me are the main reason we are in a play off which isn't good enough, take your point tho.

SlickShoes
21-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Sliced clearance in the first half that let MAC one on one with Ben, horrible distribution as usual.

SaulGoodman
21-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Ffs lower league or not they only finished 3 places behind us! :greengrin

SanFranHibs
21-05-2014, 10:52 PM
At half time , in the pub in Paris I 'singled' out McGivern for praise. Thought he was solid.

Of course....immediately the 'we were only playing a lower league team' retort surfaced. Probably from one of the 'we can't win because we can't score and can't defend' faction.

Give the guy credit...he had a good game !

Borderhibbie76
21-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Not a fan of either mcgivern or nelson but they stood up well to Hamiltons aerial bombardment all night...so credit where its due. Distribution not great but thats as solid as ive seen us at back since god only knows when. ..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
21-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Hibs got the breaks tonight we didn't in the games against Partick, Hearts and Killie. Hamilton for me looked to run out of ideas and the gap between the sides started to show. They won't score 3 at ER I'm confident of that.

Unseen work
21-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Brilliant tonight

Nelson scares me so much when the balls on te deck, he charges out like a bull at time and gets nowhere near the ball leaving a massive hole to exploit? Never mind his distribution on the ball

Time For Heroes
21-05-2014, 11:08 PM
You know what, the defence wasn't great, fairly average against average opponents but if you said Hibs would have a clean sheet after the first leg I would have been delighted.
Must be a tough job being a Hibs defender, low confidence and fans on their backs, lets give them a bit of credit.
Not setting the heather on fire but good enough, I'll take good enough all next season

Saorsa
21-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Tonight was all about McGivern for me, he owned his man and looked alive to everything that fell in the box. He looked totally solid as put in a MOTM performance.

Perhaps he has found his position, he looked like a class act, I think he plays better when he isnt trying to spark the attack.

Well done Ryan, take a bow son.Taken a bit of stick lately but did well tonight, well done son :thumbsup:

SMAXXA
22-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Some absolute arse hole comments on this thread about players being ***** and found there level etc, ffs give them credit where it's due both Nelson and McGivern were excellent tonight and done the job they were tasked. Folk having a pop need to get a grip ffs....pfhannys

btw I have thought both were pish most of the season but tonight I am giving a fair assessment.

dmc1875
22-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Nelson and McGivern looked quite good together with Nelson IMO shading it. Great game from him apart from that slip.

Before anyone goes on about his 'hoofs' I'm just talking about his defending and marshalling of the long balls from Hamilton

HibeeHutch
22-05-2014, 12:16 AM
What 'underscore' said. You guys might have short memories but i don't. McGivern is quite possibly the worst defender that has consistently been given a game at Hibs in 30 years. Sneddon was superior and he had a handicap!

Both players have no control and no vision as well as pretty standard defending skills. Added to that they are both slow and one footed. They have no composure and essentially lump the ball up the park all the time. Crazy talk to say they are decent. As the man said, they may just have found their level...just.

dmc1875
22-05-2014, 12:20 AM
What 'underscore' said. You guys might have short memories but i don't. McGivern is quite possibly the worst defender that has consistently been given a game at Hibs in 30 years. Sneddon was superior and he had a handicap!

Both players have no control and no vision as well as pretty standard defending skills. Added to that they are both slow and one footed. They have no composure and essentially lump the ball up the park all the time. Crazy talk to say they are decent. As the man said, they may just have found their level...just.

Think this is unfair. McGivern has been off the boil but last season was pretty decent. Nelson started the season in fine form alongside Hanlon before he broke his cheekbone. He was solid today. We were praising him at the start of the season as the 'no nonsense centre half we've been needing' and now we complain because he isn't very good at balls forward?

I also think its partly the tactics to get the ball up the other end of the pitch, so unfair to have a go at them based on that.

Both put in decent performances tonight, so well done to them. More of the same on Sunday please

Saorsa
22-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Cmon guys... they just did what they do in every game...lumped every ball away. Lucky Hamilton were piyesh tonight and didn't trouble us....lets not start kidding ourselves on. Perhaps Nelson n McGivern have found their level?ever get bored?

RIP Bestie
22-05-2014, 12:35 AM

Well done Ryan, take a bow son.
Great post. I always thought CH would be his best position. Hope that is how it turns out

hibee316
22-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Without trying to put a damper on the result (I don't get to watch games too often with the time difference here in NZ), but I thought both our defence & midfield looked shocking tonight.

I can see why we have shipped so many goals this season, if everything goes well on Sunday then we need at least 3 new defenders and a couple of new midfielders for next season IMO or we'll be in similar position next year.

Eh... we haven't been shipping loads of goals though.

Jpdhfc
22-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Nope, they kept a clean sheet against a team who scored ten in their last league game. A good job in anyone's books.

Scored one in there last game

greenlex
22-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Both for me are the main reason we are in a play off which isn't good enough, take your point tho.
The main reason we are in a play off position is lack of goals scored. This is fact. Not an opinion but fact.

bawheid
22-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Some absolute arse hole comments on this thread about players being ***** and found there level etc, ffs give them credit where it's due both Nelson and McGivern were excellent tonight and done the job they were tasked. Folk having a pop need to get a grip ffs....pfhannys

btw I have thought both were pish most of the season but tonight I am giving a fair assessment.

Not being funny but you've got a cheek having a go at folk on this thread when you've just gone through young Alex Harris on another thread.

What you talking about the OP is spot on he was ****ing murder. Worse than a man down indeed. How you can defend him and slate someone for stating the obvious is beyond me

heretoday
22-05-2014, 07:01 AM
A lot of revisionism going on! Make no mistake. McGivern and his fellow defenders want emptied after Sunday. I include Lewis Stevenson. I appreciate his loyalty and hard work but he's average at best. We can do better than that.

NatureBoy
22-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Can't fault any of the back four last night, a very professional performance and dealt well with a much hyped Hamilton forward line. More of the same on Sunday and we'll be laughing.

Hiber-nation
22-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Nelson and McGivern were better than usual on the whole but the difference was that the likes of Boyd would have put away Nelson's error last night and an SPFL team might have punished McGivern for falling asleep when they played it through us in the 2nd half. Small margins and all that. If these mistakes can be eradicated on Sunday then we'll be very comfortable...then plan to strengthen for next season...

Fergos
22-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Ryan was excellent also at CH against Ross County...so this he's found his level argument is a bit off for me...his distribution from the back hasn't been great to be fair but alot of that issue comes from the fact that we don't have a midfield that gives good options on the pass.......something TB has to sort sharpish for next season, including pace and midfielders who take a pass and actually go past their man.......

Thought the back 4 were well shaped last night although not perfect.....certainly better than previous weeks.

GGTTH

Nutmegged
22-05-2014, 08:29 AM

Is it really a fair assessment though or just an emotional one due to the fact we did keep a clean sheet? Which I have no problem with as its understandable.

At the end of the first half some typical Hibs defending by Nelson almost cost us a goal the in the second McGivern was so out of position we basically laid a chance on a plate for Hamilton, its the stuff we've been getting punished for all season and last night showed that we were still prone to making the exact same mistakes....what it also proved though was Hamilton, a lower standard of opposition couldn't take advantage of that.

I thought we played well at times and deserved the win but if those chances went in I doubt the feelings towards the defence would be as nice, when they stop making the simple mistakes will be the time to be genuinely fair in appraisal in my opinion

SMAXXA
22-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Not being funny but you've got a cheek having a go at folk on this thread when you've just gone through young Alex Harris on another thread.

How. cause he was actually really pish young Harris and neither McGivern or Nelson were last night so how is that the same? Some people can't give credit where it's due and last night they deserved credit.....Harris deserved nothing as he was pish simple.

whats your point?

AlbertK86
22-05-2014, 09:01 AM
McGivern was good last night.

I have said all season I would like to see him and Forster as CH pairing

Both aggressive in air and in tackle

Ryan's biggest fault for me is like Caldwell years ago ... He keeps trying the World Cup passed that very rarely come off

If he sticks to his defensive duties plays simple passes to full backs and wingers and with better players around him I think he could still do a job for us

Well done last night Ryan

MrRobot
22-05-2014, 09:37 AM

I don't think they were excellent but they were defo a lot better. McGivern has taken a lot of stick off me but he played well last night. I just wish he'd learn to play it on the deck rather than hump it.

Ell_Chrisso
22-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Looked solid defensively, but agree with others that him and Nelson are too quick to punt the ball up the park. Feel Robertson & Stanton were constantly run backwards and forwards all night being lost.

Deansy
22-05-2014, 10:06 AM
A lot of revisionism going on! Make no mistake. McGivern and his fellow defenders want emptied after Sunday. I include Lewis Stevenson. I appreciate his loyalty and hard work but he's average at best. We can do better than that.

The thought of a Hibs without Lewis Stevenson leaves me cold - the only senior-player at ER you know will give 100% (and more) for this club in each and every game. We need players with his attitude and spirit at ER - never more so than we do right now !. Was a revelation, imho, when earlier on in the season, TB played him in midfield, hopefully that becomes a more permanent feature.

Geo_1875
22-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Looked solid defensively, but agree with others that him and Nelson are too quick to punt the ball up the park. Feel Robertson & Stanton were constantly run backwards and forwards all night being lost.

Hard to do anything else when the manager tells them to get the ball up the park as soon as possible.

And every week I hear people have a go at Nelson and McGivern when they clear the ball 40 yards and it falls to an opposition midfielder. Where are our midfield when that's occurring?

Makaveli
22-05-2014, 10:20 AM
The whole back four was strong last night (in the physical sense). Having two battling full backs and two "aim for the moon" centre backs is sometimes what you need in a team that lacks quality.

Not what I want from a Hibs team but we are where we are and they stood up to be counted last night.

500miles
22-05-2014, 10:26 AM
McGivern had a poor start to the season, and lost a great deal of confidence. There were many voices last season saying that he was a better player than Hanlon!

I think he has the ability, but needs to come through this difficult period a bit battle hardened for the season ahead.

Last night I think the defence done well. There were a couple of times I thought Nelson, in particular, was undone by extra bit of zip on the ball across the artificial surface, but they settled as the game went on.

silverhibee
22-05-2014, 10:40 AM
At half time , in the pub in Paris I 'singled' out McGivern for praise. Thought he was solid.

Of course....immediately the 'we were only playing a lower league team' retort surfaced. Probably from one of the 'we can't win because we can't score and can't defend' faction.

Give the guy credit...he had a good game !

I would like more than one good game a season from him, don't forget it is players like him that have got us in this position and i hope Butcher doesn't forget that when we secure our place in the SPFL on Sunday.

Expecting Rain
22-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I would like more than one good game a season from him, don't forget it is players like him that have got us in this position and i hope Butcher doesn't forget that when we secure our place in the SPFL on Sunday.

Spent most of his games playing at left back, looks decent in his correct position as one of the centre backs.

silverhibee
22-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Nah SMAXXA, it's the ********s on the pitch that got us in to this position in the first place, there task was to stay in the SPFL at the first time of asking and not through the play-off position, delighted for the young lad Cummings mind you, i hope Butcher bins the biggest majority of them after Sunday when we secure our place in the top flight.

SMAXXA
22-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Nah SMAXXA, it's the ********s on the pitch that got us in to this position in the first place, there task was to stay in the SPFL at the first time of asking and not through the play-off position, delighted for the young lad Cummings mind you, i hope Butcher bins the biggest majority of them after Sunday when we secure our place in the top flight.

Im not disputing that mate and know it as well as anyone but that want the point I was making last night. Credit where it's due for last nights performance where some didn't give was my point. I still think Nelson and McGivern are both hopeless as I do the majority if the squad but feel credit was due last night. I can see past the previous games and give it where I believe it's due but don't forget the ***** they have put us through.

silverhibee
22-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Im not disputing that mate and know it as well as anyone but that want the point I was making last night. Credit where it's due for last nights performance where some didn't give was my point. I still think Nelson and McGivern are both hopeless as I do the majority if the squad but feel credit was due last night. I can see past the previous games and give it where I believe it's due but don't forget the ***** they have put us through.

I understand what you are saying mate, just ask Jonnyboy who i stood next to at the game last night, on a number of occasions i said to him that Nelson was having a decent game and McGivern looked better in the 2nd half, i thought Heff done a lot of hard work and showed his experience last night and was good for Jason upfront, i have no problems with Maybury either, thought he was solid enough, so the team got my support from when i entered the ground to when i left it and i was buzzing, :top marks to the fans who turned up and supported the team, they were great even outstanding, but then i woke up this morning still delighted that we won but why are we even in this position in the first place, the players that's why, as i said, when we secure our place in the top flight on Sunday i hope Butcher when he gives his last interview to the press for this season pulls out a large list with the names of players who are leaving our club this season and he gives his honest opinion why. :greengrin

leggeto
22-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Him and Nelson were good tonight. Odd lapse of concentration but other than that they can be happy with themselves tonight.

Well done lads.

It was Hamilton remember, they should have those strikers in their pocket every time,new CBs please terry

3pm
22-05-2014, 11:55 AM

:grr:

:greengrin

spike220
23-05-2014, 01:43 AM
McGivern will be like Bamba, many wont appreciate how good he was until he has gone.

TornadoHibby
23-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Well done lads.

Apart from the couple of times that they (Nelson especially) lost their men leaving Williams one on one with an attacker and were saved from humiliation by Williams geting between the ball and the back of the net each time!:agree:

Nelson is a bombscare IMO and I'd rather have Forster, who has pace and football ability, neither of which Nelson possesses IMO! :rolleyes: :agree:

TheFamous1875
23-05-2014, 02:12 PM
McGivern will be like Bamba, many wont appreciate how good he was until he has gone.

I thought Bamba was great when he was here. Not everyone appreciated him, but he always got got stuck in and broke up play from midfield and was also good at the back. He had what none of our current players have: a presence.

McGivern was good in his first season, definitely one of our best players, along with Sparky and Claros. He tailed off at the end of last season and never really got himself back to that level. I was really hoping he would push on and improve from there as he's young, but the opposite has happened.

He had a lot of potential, but apart from the draw against Celtic, the last derby and that's about it, he's not really been at the races this season at all. Hopefully next season we'll have a lot better players in the team to bring out the best in him and the rest. I also think Booth returning and giving him competition for his position is EXACTLY what has been missing. He's become complacent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blaster
23-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Apart from the couple of times that they (Nelson especially) lost their men leaving Williams one on one with an attacker and were saved from humiliation by Williams geting between the ball and the back of the net each time!:agree:

Nelson is a bombscare IMO and I'd rather have Forster, who has pace and football ability, neither of which Nelson possesses IMO! :rolleyes: :agree:

Forster cost us a lot of goals recently at centre half. Paisley, two against the yams, and the killie goal were his fault imo

Has potential but still too raw to be a regular starter

Jonnyboy
23-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I understand what you are saying mate, just ask Jonnyboy who i stood next to at the game last night, on a number of occasions i said to him that Nelson was having a decent game and McGivern looked better in the 2nd half, i thought Heff done a lot of hard work and showed his experience last night and was good for Jason upfront, i have no problems with Maybury either, thought he was solid enough, so the team got my support from when i entered the ground to when i left it and i was buzzing, :top marks to the fans who turned up and supported the team, they were great even outstanding, but then i woke up this morning still delighted that we won but why are we even in this position in the first place, the players that's why, as i said, when we secure our place in the top flight on Sunday i hope Butcher when he gives his last interview to the press for this season pulls out a large list with the names of players who are leaving our club this season and he gives his honest opinion why. :greengrin

You did indeed and I agree with you.

For weeks we've slated the guy and McGivern but when they finally turn in a decent performance it attracts phrases like 'only against a lower league team.' That lower league team had lost only one of it's previous nineteen games and had been scoring for fun in most of them.

Nelson and McGivern deserve to be praised for this game and let's hope they get more praise on Sunday night!

I'd still not lose any sleep if they weren't here next season though :greengrin

SMAXXA
23-05-2014, 11:19 PM
You did indeed and I agree with you.

For weeks we've slated the guy and McGivern but when they finally turn in a decent performance it attracts phrases like 'only against a lower league team.' That lower league team had lost only one of it's previous nineteen games and had been scoring for fun in most of them.

Nelson and McGivern deserve to be praised for this game and let's hope they get more praise on Sunday night!

I'd still not lose any sleep if they weren't here next season though :greengrin

Halliouya some sense :greengrin

eggbamyasi
24-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Hard to do anything else when the manager tells them to get the ball up the park as soon as possible.

And every week I hear people have a go at Nelson and McGivern when they clear the ball 40 yards and it falls to an opposition midfielder. Where are our midfield when that's occurring?

I agree the midfield are at fault distribution wise too , but do you honestly believe that butcher tells nelson and mcgivern to just punt it wildly forward like they do ? Not a chance . They played well on wed and hopfully same again sunday . Imo I dont think either are good enough for us next season mcgivern for cover but nelson has to be moved on for us to progress .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

heretoday
24-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Nelson and McGivern did ok booting the ball away upfield on Wednesday night but shouldn't we be trying to recruit a better standard of defender?

Please don't give them a second chance, Terry.

Aldo
24-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Nelson and McGivern did ok booting the ball away upfield on Wednesday night but shouldn't we be trying to recruit a better standard of defender? Please don't give them a second chance, Terry.

I'm sure (and hope) TB sees this and will address it in the summer.

Same back 4 for me the morn!!

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Can see Hamilton starting with MAC and Scotland so the defence will need to be on their toes

Aldo
24-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Can see Hamilton starting with MAC and Scotland so the defence will need to be on their toes

Think you might be right. I honestly think if we score first we will get quite a few.

Northernhibee
24-05-2014, 11:00 AM
My boss is a sheep fan and when we played them at Pittodrie Ryan was the player from us he'd love to see at Aberdeen, spoke very highly of him.

Think we need to give him a bit of space to boost his confidence again.