PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read for plastic pitches in spfl

Itsnoteasy
20-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Read attached article.

http://www.dailyreco...r-clubs-3037648 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plastic-pitches-could-bar-clubs-3037648)

Keith_M
20-05-2014, 03:42 PM
"Ahead of next season any club who has a synthetic pitch and wants it to be available for use within the Premier League has to go through an application by March 31."

I'm presuming that's already been done by Hamilton (and Falkirk) so shouldn't be an issue.

Armageddon-Doncaster again though, he makes my blood boil!

Smartie
20-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Interesting article although it was from January.

I had to check when I got to the third last paragraph and there was a mention of the possibility of Dunfermline being in the Championship.

Personally I have no problem with these pitches. Far better playing on a true surface than on the muddy or bobbly ones that we see far too often. They've come a long way from the QPR/Luton ones of the 1980s.

And it would be desperate of us to try to deny Accies promotion if they beat us in the payoff.

Itsnoteasy
20-05-2014, 04:04 PM
"Ahead of next season any club who has a synthetic pitch and wants it to be available for use within the Premier League has to go through an application by March 31."

I'm presuming that's already been done by Hamilton (and Falkirk) so shouldn't be an issue.

Armageddon-Doncaster again though, he makes my blood boil!

It does say that even if they do get promoted it would still go to a vote. Maybe TB could get lucky again. Motherwell should have been relegated when he was in charge but Falkirk didnae meet stadium criteria.

Itsnoteasy
20-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Interesting article although it was from January.

I had to check when I got to the third last paragraph and there was a mention of the possibility of Dunfermline being in the Championship.

Personally I have no problem with these pitches. Far better playing on a true surface than on the muddy or bobbly ones that we see far too often. They've come a long way from the QPR/Luton ones of the 1980s.

And it would be desperate of us to try to deny Accies promotion if they beat us in the payoff.

No I have no problem with them also.

Keith_M
20-05-2014, 04:26 PM
When Hibs were relegated in 1998, they had a possible get out clause because the 1st Division champions were Dundee and Dens Park didn't meet the SPL stadium criteria at the time.

If Hibs had objected, as they had a right to do, they could have avoided relegation on a technicality. Hibs chairman (Lex Gold?) announced that the club considered that it would be wrong to do so, and refused to raise an objection, accepting their relegation with dignity.

If a similar situation were to happen again, for instance because of a plastic pitch, I would hope that Hibs would show the same dignity as they did in 1998.

Arch Stanton
20-05-2014, 05:28 PM
When Hibs were relegated in 1998, they had a possible get out clause because the 1st Division champions were Dundee and Dens Park didn't meet the SPL stadium criteria at the time.

If Hibs had objected, as they had a right to do, they could have avoided relegation on a technicality. Hibs chairman (Lex Gold?) announced that the club considered that it would be wrong to do so, and refused to raise an objection, accepting their relegation with dignity.

If a similar situation were to happen again, for instance because of a plastic pitch, I would hope that Hibs would show the same dignity as they did in 1998.

Although I reckon Accies would be doing themselves a favour by staying in the Championship - it could be an expensive business for them trying to stay up and failing. Some big games in the Championship coming up too.

Slightly off topic, have the artificial pitches been a benefit to those clubs - two finishing in play-off places I mean? How many other Championship teams have them? (Just out of interest - I am not grudging them anything).

VivaHiberņa
20-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Although I reckon Accies would be doing themselves a favour by staying in the Championship - it could be an expensive business for them trying to stay up and failing. Some big games in the Championship coming up too.

Slightly off topic, have the artificial pitches been a benefit to those clubs - two finishing in play-off places I mean? How many other Championship teams have them? (Just out of interest - I am not grudging them anything).

Celtc, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen will compensate for that, along with travelling supports from Motherwell, Killie, Partick and St Mirren having relatively short journeys. Throw in more prize/TV money and an increased home support and it's clear that this chat of the 1st Division being the place to be is nothing more than a Hertz-propagated myth.

Arch Stanton
20-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Celtc, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen will compensate for that, along with travelling supports from Motherwell, Killie, Partick and St Mirren having relatively short journeys. Throw in more prize/TV money and an increased home support and it's clear that this chat of the 1st Division being the place to be is nothing more than a Hertz-propagated myth.

The "increased home support" is a bit of a myth too - Hibs support didn't change much when we went down or when we came back up.

Also, I didn't say that 1st Div is the place to be - but for Accies trying and failing to stay in the SPL will be a big hit for them.

Edit: Also, their only guaranteed sell-out will be the two games against Celtic if they get promoted.

davhibby
20-05-2014, 06:30 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11789/9269160/scottish-football-spfl-confirms-start-dates-for-next-seasons-competitions

See the bottom of this. It says that they've allowed these teams to use the artificial pitch next season, doesn't say anything about leagues though so I'd assume it would be fine

IWasThere2016
20-05-2014, 06:34 PM

3 in the play-offs I thought - as don't QOS have one too?

I think the other side is Alloa.

Paisley Hibby
20-05-2014, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=keekaboo;4017695]When Hibs were relegated in 1998, they had a possible get out clause because the 1st Division champions were Dundee and Dens Park didn't meet the SPL stadium criteria at the time.

If a similar situation were to happen again, for instance because of a plastic pitch, I would hope that Hibs would show the same dignity as they did in 1998 QUOTE].

Was it not Petrie who first used the term "sporting integrity" during the Sevco fiasco? So there should be no doubt about what we would do? :dunno:

Paisley Hibby
20-05-2014, 09:42 PM
The "increased home support" is a bit of a myth too - Hibs support didn't change much when we went down or when we came back up.

Also, I didn't say that 1st Div is the place to be - but for Accies trying and failing to stay in the SPL will be a big hit for them.

Edit: Also, their only guaranteed sell-out will be the two games against Celtic if they get promoted.

Not necessarily. The crowd for the St J v Celtic game a few weeks ago was only about 4500!