PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith being diluted

ManBearPig
20-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Anyone else feel playing SOL before almost every home game isnt always appropriate and kind of dilutes the power of it. It should be played after certain games and results IMO

edinburghhibee
20-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Agree with this. I love the song but when hibs fans sing it, it needs to be on big occasions.

Michael
20-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Definitely. The club recognised that they shouldn't do this before, so I'm not sure why they've started doing it now.

Gus Fring
20-05-2014, 09:08 AM
I believe it's the announcers decision to play it usually. He's on twitter @hibsannouncer so maybe someone should raise it with him? If he tweets back like he talks at Easter Road you won't understand a word he's saying though. :wink:

TheFamous1875
20-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Agree. I think it's a shoddy attempt at trying to create an atmosphere worthy of the song and it achieves the complete opposite. It feels forced and inappropriate. Compare every week of this season to winning the League Cup in '07 and it's unbearably tawdry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Waxy
20-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Agree. We need a different song now.

ManBearPig
20-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I have tweeted hibs announcer and will get back with results. Maybe a poll on here to show what fans think?

ManBearPig
20-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I dont know how to create poll on this thread. :-S

Nando™
20-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I won't be singing it if it gets an airing if we survive the drop.

Success for Hibernian is not top tier survival.

NAE NOOKIE
20-05-2014, 11:29 AM
I won't be singing it if it gets an airing if we survive the drop.

Success for Hibernian is not top tier survival.

I agree ..... avoidance of failure by the skin of your teeth is not success.

SOL should be saved for more appropriate times.

TAHibby
20-05-2014, 11:54 AM
If we survive the drop and it's played I don't see it as a 'celebration' as such. To me it's just a statement to show we're proud to support Hibernian no matter what happens and that is our song. I do agree it is over played however, before the game AND half time against Killie...

DaveF
20-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I find almost as dire a song as Flower of Scotland. ER is miserable enough at the moment without the words broken and sorrow ringing out at start, middle and end of game.

dangermouse
20-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Agree. I think it's a shoddy attempt at trying to create an atmosphere worthy of the song and it achieves the complete opposite. It feels forced and inappropriate. Compare every week of this season to winning the League Cup in '07 and it's unbearably tawdry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. After the magnificent rendition at the end of the cup final it's almost like we are being turned into performing seals. SOL is only ever appropriate for cup final wins or just before kick off against our Gorgie neighbours.

strummbo
20-05-2014, 12:07 PM
I find almost as dire a song as Flower of Scotland. ER is miserable enough at the moment without the words broken and sorrow ringing out at start, middle and end of game.

what he said times ten. Under the current cuircumstances it is is utterly depressing.

We need something to gee everyone up, not some maudlin song cos it mentions Leith ffs!

worcesterhibby
20-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Agree with above posters. Just please don't make the alternative Hector Nicol singing "Glory Glory to the hibees" which is totally cringeworthy.

Since a few Hibs players have been seen out drinking after losses..maybe we should play Beastie Boys "you've got to fight, for the right, to party"

If it has to be the Proclaimers..then wouldn't "I'm on my way" (from misery to happiness today) be more appropriate given the circumstances ? It's very upbeat, but does at least acknowledge that we are in a hole and need to get out of it.

Jones28
20-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Agree with above posters. Just please don't make the alternative Hector Nicol singing "Glory Glory to the hibees" which is totally cringeworthy.

Since a few Hibs players have been seen out drinking after losses..maybe we should play Beastie Boys "you've got to fight, for the right, to party"

If it has to be the Proclaimers..then wouldn't "I'm on my way" (from misery to happiness today) be more appropriate given the circumstances ? It's very upbeat, but does at least acknowledge that we are in a hole and need to get out of it.

Trouble with I'm on My Way is that it implies we're already on our way :greengrin

ManBearPig
20-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Cab someone with admin powers please Turn this into a poll for me

When should SOL be played at ER
1.before every game
2.after every game
3 only after cup finals and or derbies
4.never again

H18Y GW
20-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Only as a celebration of victory and that includes if we win this sunday,this is a bigger game than the 2007 cup final in my eyes.

we are hibs
20-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Should only be played when there is a big crowd. Sounds and looks totally cringey when there's half a crowd singing it (Partick at ER a few weeks back and Aberdeen in the cup last season).

Saorsa
20-05-2014, 03:12 PM
I agree ..... avoidance of failure by the skin of your teeth is not success.

SOL should be saved for more appropriate times.I can think of somebody who will see it as a success. :agree:

I agree with the OP, for the right occasion it's is a great song but every week, nah!

Pretty Boy
20-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Great song for the right occasion.

Standing at Hampden in 2007 with 3 generations of my closest family belting out Sunshine on Leith is one of my favourite memories.

Hearing it played with about 15 people singing along before a game against Ross County? Not for me.

frazeHFC
20-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Great song for the right occasion.

Standing at Hampden in 2007 with 3 generations of my closest family belting out Sunshine on Leith is one of my favourite memories.

Hearing it played with about 15 people singing along before a game against Ross County? Not for me.

This for me. And wish we would stop playing music as the teams come out the tunnel. Hibees Hibees followed by a Hail Hail etc is much better.

calamitus
20-05-2014, 05:42 PM
what he said times ten. Under the current cuircumstances it is is utterly depressing.

We need something to gee everyone up, not some maudlin song cos it mentions Leith ffs!

Agreed - I'm one of the minority that liked when we came out to Invaders Must Die by the Prodigy

DAVE1875
20-05-2014, 05:45 PM
I've tweeted at the Hibs Announcer several times, asking him to play inspirational songs for when the teams walk out like Duel of the Fates (Star Wars) or Thunderstruck by AC/DC (Only the intro riff though, however I think it would be amazing to have everyone shout Hibees instead of Thunder). Even the Rocky theme would be better than SoL for a walk on tune.

However, everytime he simply replies "Sunshine on Leith will be played when the teams come out"

Don't get me wrong I love SoL, but as Pretty Boy mentioned; it's better for certain occasions, I could accept it being played after the match but only if we won, Hampden after the League Cup win & a full Easter Road after the derby win are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Saorsa
20-05-2014, 05:48 PM
I've tweeted at the Hibs Announcer several times, asking him to play inspirational songs for when the teams walk out like Duel of the Fates (Star Wars) or Thunderstruck by AC/DC (Only the intro riff though, however I think it would be amazing to have everyone shout Hibees instead of Thunder). Even the Rocky theme would be better than SoL for a walk on tune.

However, everytime he simply replies "Sunshine on Leith will be played when the teams come out"

Don't get me wrong I love SoL, but as Pretty Boy mentioned; it's better for certain occasions, I could accept it being played after the match but only if we won, Hampden after the League Cup win & a full Easter Road after the derby win are the ones that stick out in my mind.Well if he winnae listen maybe somebody should go over him tae the club and explain the wishes of the fans. I'm on neither facelessbook or twatter so it winnae be me though .On the right occasion it's a great tune, on the wrong one it's a bit of a dirge TBH.

hibbydog
20-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Agreed. Sunshine on leith is only for special occasions:

Cup finals
Last dance at weddings/ parties etc
Played during the birth of my youngest Wayne

I've got it on my iPod (obviously) but I don't play it much for fear of diluting its value

Franck Stanton
20-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Opinions eh , not that many weeks ago there was a thread on .net saying we should play it at E/R before every home game. Now that we are , along comes a thread moaning about the very thing we asked for. Cannae please all the people all of the time eh.

Saorsa
20-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Opinions eh , not that many weeks ago there was a thread on .net saying we should play it at E/R before every home game. Now that we are , along comes a thread moaning about the very thing we asked for. Cannae please all the people all of the time eh.I must have missed that thread. I've always been of the opinion it should be kept for certain occasions, it's hardly an up and at em tune.

ManBearPig
20-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Opinions eh , not that many weeks ago there was a thread on .net saying we should play it at E/R before every home game. Now that we are , along comes a thread moaning about the very thing we asked for. Cannae please all the people all of the time eh.

But if something clearly isnt working it shouldnt be changed? It genuinely comes across a dirge with little impact. Not a huge issue TBH but think something that could be changed easily.

Roxyhibee
20-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Love the song - but not every match day and inappropriate for the majority of this particular season.

Keep it for special games and ocassions when there is that 'feeling'..

Preferred previous seasons when Undertones, Silencers, even Robbie (gulp) etc, were the nominated songs.

How about 'Ever Fallen In Love With Someone (You Shouldn't Have Fallen In Love With)' being played at 14:57 next season.?

mutley
20-05-2014, 07:45 PM
.............Thunderstruck by AC/DC (Only the intro riff though, however I think it would be amazing to have everyone shout Hibees instead of Thunder)...........

Now I think that is a cracking idea, I can hear it in my head just now!

ManBearPig
20-05-2014, 07:46 PM
How about 'Ever Fallen In Love With Someone (You Shouldn't Have Fallen In Love With)' being played at 14:57 next season.?

Or 'do or die' twista*

Waxy
21-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Frankie-two tribes. Everytime the players walk out at ER. Stuff the marshmallow songs we've been playing.

mutley
23-05-2014, 07:57 PM
As much as u agree that SoL should only be for big occasions, if we win/draw on Sunday, and stay up in the top flight, to hear us belt it out from 4 stands at ER would be quite amazing

oramhibee
23-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Agreed. After the magnificent rendition at the end of the cup final it's almost like we are being turned into performing seals. SOL is only ever appropriate for cup final wins or just before kick off against our Gorgie neighbours.

And after, when we beat them

TrinityHibs
23-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Frankie-two tribes. Everytime the players walk out at ER. Stuff the marshmallow songs we've been playing.

Love the song Waxy but its a great motivational song for both teams. Rip them with SOL before {its about passion, Hibs and Leith} and after. Then party mix.

yekimevol
23-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Ive always wanted it to be the same as bubbles at Upton Park and You'll never walk alone at Anfield, the whole of easter road belting it out before the match would be special !

Waxy
23-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Love the song Waxy but its a great motivational song for both teams. Rip them with SOL before {its about passion, Hibs and Leith} and after. Then party mix.

If we keep playing Frankie we'll make it our own.Music is far more important and powerful than most people think. The last song you hear tends to stick in the mind for a very long time. SOL is not really doing our players Any good if you look at it from a science point of view.The first phase of every home match the players have a slow kind of depressing song going through their heads. This will probably even transfer to the start of away games as they'll still associate SOL with the start of games. It hasn't done us any good for all the years we've played it. I'd say play ir AFTER matches, thats ok. We don't need motivated after games. SOL as a motivational song? No.

Baader
23-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Personally prefer SoL after a match - but not as routine.

But it's something unique to Hibs - which is special. AC/DC, Undetones etc arent and get played at lots of other grounds.

You'll Never Walk Alone (similar in tone to SoL and equally uplifting) is sung before kick off at Anfield and doesn't seem to do them any harm! One of the best sights and sounds in football - and I go for Everton!!

TrinityHibs
23-05-2014, 08:50 PM
If we keep playing Frankie we'll make it our own.Music is far more important and powerful than most people think. The last song you hear tends to stick in the mind for a very long time. SOL is not really doing our players Any good if you look at it from a science point of view.The first phase of every home match the players have a slow kind of depressing song going through their heads. This will probably even transfer to the start of away games as they'll still associate SOL with the start of games. It hasn't done us any good for all the years we've played it. I'd say play ir AFTER matches, thats ok. We don't need motivated after games. SOL as a motivational song? No.

I get what you're saying but we need to motivate the team and crowd. I loved the Mowbray music with Teenage kicks and I can feel it etc. SOL gets the crowd gong with while the chief..... At the end its an anthem to begin with its a challenge. Its like a New Zealand rugby Hakka you're going to get it hard I like them both. As I said on another thread I've had a drink.

Waxy
23-05-2014, 08:59 PM
I get what you're saying but we need to motivate the team and crowd. I loved the Mowbray music with Teenage kicks and I can feel it etc. SOL gets the crowd gong with while the chief..... At the end its an anthem to begin with its a challenge. Its like a New Zealand rugby Hakka you're going to get it hard I like them both. As I said on another thread I've had a drink.
Thats what i'm saying. Teenage kicks got Hibs playing with verve.SOL is one of the greatest Hibs songs ever but it doesn't actually serve to make us start matches very well at all.

heretoday
29-06-2023, 12:45 PM
It's tricky. People I've spoken to elsewhere identify Hibs with that song which made such an impression nationwide after the famous Cup win.

Personally, I'm not crazy about it. If we are to have a Proclaimers song there are many more upbeat ones to choose from. I certainly don't think SoL should be played at every match.

There must be plenty Liverpool fans who find YNWA a bit of a dirge!

nonshinyfinish
29-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Always nice to revisit May 2014, eh?

ErinGoBraghHFC
29-06-2023, 12:53 PM
Always nice to revisit May 2014, eh?

In the same way it’s always nice to visit your mother in law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
29-06-2023, 04:37 PM
It's tricky. People I've spoken to elsewhere identify Hibs with that song which made such an impression nationwide after the famous Cup win.

Personally, I'm not crazy about it. If we are to have a Proclaimers song there are many more upbeat ones to choose from. I certainly don't think SoL should be played at every match.

not sure what prompted the resurrection of this thread but May 2016 crystallised SoL in Hibs folklore, and I think the club have the balance right now. After Cup final victories and ‘Big Games’ (and we all know which games those are)

Cat Stanton
29-06-2023, 04:42 PM

Have you been mulling over this answer for nine years?

DH1875
29-06-2023, 04:42 PM
not sure what prompted the resurrection of this thread but May 2016 crystallised SoL in Hibs folklore, and I think the club have the balance right now. After Cup final victories and ‘Big Games’ (and we all know which games those are)

Controversial on here but May 2016 isn't the best rendition of SOL in my opinion.

TelaStella
29-06-2023, 04:43 PM
Was there ever a time either it be May 2014 or before that Sunshine On Leith was actually played nearly every home game? If it was it’s escaped my memory. Seems to always be played at the right times and long may that continue, preserving its sacredness. It’s an unbelievable anthem we’re very lucky to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex Trager
29-06-2023, 04:56 PM
Controversial on here but May 2016 isn't the best rendition of SOL in my opinion.

Na that came when we beat Hearts 1-0 at ER in the replay.

Pagan Hibernia
29-06-2023, 05:08 PM

I agree. Most of us were too stunned to give it the full airing it deserved.

the hearts cup games in 2016 and 2017 were better, as was the cup final in 2007

Diclonius
29-06-2023, 05:26 PM
Why has this thread been dug up from the grave

Viva_Palmeiras
29-06-2023, 06:33 PM

…gone tomorrow

Viva_Palmeiras
29-06-2023, 06:38 PM
Why has this thread been dug up from the grave

Its what the forum is for is it not… ?

Being serious for a min - I supposed if it wasn’t one of the features, threads would be locked and/or archived - therefore accessible and resurrect-table. Spose it means that the points made don’t have to be made all over again and can be re-examined in a new light / era.

remember how everyone loved Calderwood before he checked the bag of sweeties (no, nor do I ;))

WhileTheChief..
29-06-2023, 07:54 PM
Its what the forum is for is it not… ?

Being serious for a min - I supposed if it wasn’t one of the features, threads would be locked and/or archived - therefore accessible and resurrect-table. Spose it means that the points made don’t have to be made all over again and can be re-examined in a new light / era.

remember how everyone loved Calderwood before he checked the bad of sweeties (no, nor do I ;))

That was a cracking thread.

Remember someone posted a pic of him meeting someone from Notts Forest, i think, in a hotel lobby.

That kicked the whole thing off from there and the arguments on here were tremendous!!

Garymcl
29-06-2023, 08:03 PM
On the subject of leith Irvine Welsh getting interviewed on sky news just now by Beth rigby

LaMotta
30-06-2023, 08:14 AM

:hilarious

bordergreen
30-06-2023, 11:39 AM
Anyone else feel playing SOL before almost every home game isnt always appropriate and kind of dilutes the power of it. It should be played after certain games and results IMO

It should only ever be after beating the Jumbo's (because they hate it), or, after winning a cup

Diclonius
30-06-2023, 11:42 AM
That was a cracking thread.

Remember someone posted a pic of him meeting someone from Notts Forest, i think, in a hotel lobby.

That kicked the whole thing off from there and the arguments on here were tremendous!!

It was the same poster, think it was someone's agent or someone with Forest connections as they clearly wanted something to happen.

Post #1: "Hey just seen this photo posted of your manager meeting ours, any idea what it means? Not sure down here"

Post #10: "Let me make this clear your manager WILL join our club and it IS happening. How DARE you insinuate that your manager is better than our STUPENDOUS, AMAZINGLY-SIZED HUGE CLUB. You are NOTHING. I PITY your laughable attempt at OUR beautiful game. NOTHING will stand in the way of my mighty FOREST"

evy
01-07-2023, 08:08 AM

League Cup final blows it out the water. Collins greetin on the pitch, even the tv crew stopped interviews just to listen to it.

LaMotta
01-07-2023, 10:19 AM
Na that came when we beat Hearts 1-0 at ER in the replay.

:agree::agree::agree:

Mick O'Rourke
01-07-2023, 10:56 AM
League Cup final blows it out the water. Collins greetin on the pitch, even the tv crew stopped interviews just to listen to it.

Well if you mean the volume at the Killie final,we had many thousands more fans at Hampden that day,than in 2016.
So not surprising it was louder :singing:
The tv interviewer on the pitch didnae stop quick enough,either.
Too busy chatting to Benji whilst SOL was being played and sung !:greengrin

For raw emotion,happiness,relief,joy,remembering lost loved ones and pure passion.Its May 2016 !
A lot more greeting going on during that passionate rendition.:boo hoo::boo hoo::greengrin
As was the tribute to Ron Gordon at the Holy Ground a very special and emotional rendition of our anthem.
My favourite two,anyway.
And yes, it should only be aired at the Holy Ground.... when we cuff the not so noisy neighbours :singing:

GGTTH
SOL

jacomo
01-07-2023, 04:39 PM

That was indeed special. I was behind the goals that day and just felt a wall of noise behind me while we sang, which helped.

Agreed that we don’t want it to become like YNWA, played every home game for the tourists.

Glory Lurker
01-07-2023, 05:01 PM
That was indeed special. I was behind the goals that day and just felt a wall of noise behind me while we sang, which helped.

Agreed that we don’t want it to become like YNWA, played every home game for the tourists.

There was a pretty big group of German guys at the 1-0 derby just then. They nailed their time to come to Edinburgh!

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-07-2023, 08:30 PM
Did we sing it tonight?

Lancs Harp
01-07-2023, 09:06 PM

It doesnt.

maturehibby
02-07-2023, 08:57 AM
SOL being played by a female busker on the front at Torquay Torquay last Sunday .
Was good ti hear it being sung in a far off place .
Hlad to have donated to her .
I'll sure others will have heard it being sung in far off places

Greencore
02-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Best thing about SOL is it can't be stolen. Well in Scotland anyway.

Mick O'Rourke
02-07-2023, 09:46 AM
Did we sing it tonight?

Not for the nice neighbours and Citizens from Meadowbank. :greengrin
Just the ones that fall over and push and jostle each other in the dash to get oot the Dunbar End before SOL starts ! :singing:

Unfortunately,for them, the fitter jumbos that get to Middletons first,can still hear it !

:singing::greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
02-07-2023, 09:54 AM
SOL being played by a female busker on the front at Torquay Torquay last Sunday .
Was good ti hear it being sung in a far off place .
Hlad to have donated to her .
I'll sure others will have heard it being sung in far off places

Over 20 years ago ,i nearly burnt out the disc on a jukebox in a Denver Colorado pub,playing the SOL album every time i went in.

Locals loved it !