PDA

View Full Version : "Borderline Cheating" - St J Chairman Steve Brown

Keith_M
19-05-2014, 10:10 AM
The St Johnstone Chairman (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-chairman-steve-brown-3568211) discused his pride in his club and of having success after 30 years of living within their means.

But on certain other clubs...

'STEVE BROWN watched 
St Johnstone’s rivals throw money about in a bid for quick success and admitted he was glad to see them fail miserably.'

“You can talk about sporting integrity and if you continually live outwith your means then you are certainly breaching that. “It is borderline cheating so we are delighted we have got there."

He mentions Livingston and Gretna but a couple of other clubs spring to mind when reading it.

Winston Ingram
19-05-2014, 10:14 AM
He doesn't need the word borderline.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-05-2014, 10:30 AM
For me Gretna, Livingston and the filth are all guilty as charged, the latter squirmed their way out of any real punishment, a certain phone call from a fat baldy politician seemed to have done the trick, expect some kind of business tie up with the Liths soon, the other 2 clubs took the punishment and got on with it.

marinello59
19-05-2014, 10:41 AM
For me Gretna, Livingston and the filth are all guilty as charged, the latter squirmed their way out of any real punishment, a certain phone call from a fat baldy politician seemed to have done the trick, expect some kind of business tie up with the Liths soon, the other 2 clubs took the punishment and got on with it.

Hearts were relegated as a direct result of their punishment. Looks like they will be living within their means for the foreseeable future which many of their fans will find tough. So they are getting on with it.

Hibercelona
19-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Hearts were relegated as a direct result of their punishment. Looks like they will be living within their means for the foreseeable future which many of their fans will find tough. So they are getting on with it.

What makes you so sure that they will live within their means?

Being forced to start again at the lowest tier hasn't stopped "new" Rangers from going on another spending spree.

How will relegation to the championship stop Hearts from doing the same?

They've wriggled out of it once. Whats to say that they won't just think that they'll wriggle out of it again?

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2014, 10:50 AM

Being forced to start again at the lowest tier hasn't stopped "new" Rangers from going on another spending spree.

They've wriggled out of it once. Whats to say that they won't just think that they'll wriggle out of it again?

Different scenario to Rangers. They raised cash through a share issue, the proceeds of which have been, largely, squandered.

Hearts have given no indication that they would do anything so daft. There are no plans for a share issue, they would probably struggle to gain bank funding if they wanted it (and I don't think that they will want it), and all the noises being made suggest that they won't (indeed, they can't) spend what they don't have.

Hibercelona
19-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Different scenario to Rangers. They raised cash through a share issue, the proceeds of which have been, largely, squandered.

Hearts have given no indication that they would do anything so daft. There are no plans for a share issue, they would probably struggle to gain bank funding if they wanted it (and I don't think that they will want it), and all the noises being made suggest that they won't (indeed, they can't) spend what they don't have.

I hope you're right CWG. But I wouldn't trust anything that they say. They'd welcome another mad owner in an instant if the opportunity arose.

marinello59
19-05-2014, 11:08 AM

I don't know what they will do in the future. Noises so far suggest a spending spree is not on the agenda though.
They wriggled out of nothing. They went in to administration and were relegated. Just because they didn't suffer the fate of liquidation doesn't mean they weren't punished. If you want to hand them some sort of victory though go ahead. I won't.

Onion
19-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I hope you're right CWG. But I wouldn't trust anything that they say. They'd welcome another mad owner in an instant if the opportunity arose.

Agree with this. From a fans viewpoint the returns far outweigh the risks. You only need to ask the average Yam - would you do it all again - and the answer is an emphatic yes. They will already be searching for the next set of suckers to fleece!

Onion
19-05-2014, 11:34 AM
I don't know what they will do in the future. Noises so far suggest a spending spree is not on the agenda though.
They wriggled out of nothing. They went in to administration and were relegated. Just because they didn't suffer the fate of liquidation doesn't mean they weren't punished. If you want to hand them some sort of victory though go ahead. I won't.

Punishment is meant to act as a deterrent. Ask Yams if they think it was all worth it. Vast majority would say Yes. Ask them if they'd do it all again and I'll bet most would say Yes. QED the punishment did not match the "crime".

emerald green
19-05-2014, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=keekaboo;4016389]The St Johnstone Chairman (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-chairman-steve-brown-3568211) discused his pride in his club and of having success after 30 years of living within their means.

'STEVE BROWN watched 
St Johnstone’s rivals throw money about in a bid for quick success and admitted he was glad to see them fail miserably.'

“You can talk about sporting integrity and if you continually live outwith your means then you are certainly breaching that. “It is borderline cheating so we are delighted we have got there."

He mentions Livingston and Gretna but a couple of other clubs spring to mind when reading it.[QUOTE]

Every man and his dog knows which clubs he is referring to. I just wish some others were as forthright as Mr Brown.

Beefster
19-05-2014, 11:52 AM
It always surprises me that those who are annoyed because they think Hearts got off scot-free aren't apoplectic about Motherwell.

Keith_M
19-05-2014, 12:24 PM
It always surprises me that those who are annoyed because they think Hearts got off scot-free aren't apoplectic about Motherwell.

...or Dundee.

There's obviously a large element of local rivalry involved but I think there is also a genuine feeling that Hearts have enjoyed dominance over Hibs, and a degree of success in the Scottish Cup, bought for by large debts they never paid back that sets them apart from the likes of Dundee and Motherwell.

Phil D. Rolls
19-05-2014, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=keekaboo;4016389]The St Johnstone Chairman (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-chairman-steve-brown-3568211) discused his pride in his club and of having success after 30 years of living within their means.

'STEVE BROWN watched 

He mentions Livingston and Gretna but a couple of other clubs spring to mind when reading it.[QUOTE]

Every man and his dog knows which clubs he is referring to. I just wish some others were as forthright as Mr Brown.

If he was being forthright, he'd name them instead of leaving it to people's imagination.

marinello59
19-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Punishment is meant to act as a deterrent. Ask Yams if they think it was all worth it. Vast majority would say Yes. Ask them if they'd do it all again and I'll bet most would say Yes. QED the punishment did not match the "crime".

They will never admit that it wasn't worth it but every single one of them knows that everything achieved during those years is tainted and worthless. And they know we will never stop reminding them of that. Your disappointment at them not going in to liquidation simply gives them an opening to gloat. They ain't getting that from me.

Phil D. Rolls
19-05-2014, 01:33 PM
They will never admit that it wasn't worth it but every single one of them knows that everything achieved during those years is tainted and worthless. And they know we will never stop reminding them of that. Your disappointment at them not going in to liquidation simply gives them an opening to gloat. They ain't getting that from me.

I think the score at East End Park yesterday, maybe suggests that administration is no picnic, and has long lasting consequences.

emerald green
19-05-2014, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=emerald green;4016484][QUOTE=keekaboo;4016389]The St Johnstone Chairman (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-chairman-steve-brown-3568211) discused his pride in his club and of having success after 30 years of living within their means.

'STEVE BROWN watched 

He mentions Livingston and Gretna but a couple of other clubs spring to mind when reading it.

If he was being forthright, he'd name them instead of leaving it to people's imagination.

OK fair enough, but I don't think anyone really needs much imagination to work out who he was referring to.

19-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Well done to St Johnstone, they are a well run club that live within their means and didn't need to financially cheat their way to glory like hearts did.

Punished? Hahaha don't make me laugh, hearts got nowhere near what they really deserved. A relegation thats it and their arrogant, vile fans are back giving it the big un because sadly once again they squirmed their way out of it. A couple of seasons or so in the championship is not a punishment and many hearts fans if you ask them will tell you that its totally worth it. Makes you physically sick, those cheats.

RIP Bestie
20-05-2014, 04:11 AM

Budge has. Oreads nailed her colours to the mast. I really can't see the marquee signings their fans have been touting happening under her stewardship. She has made it clear that youth is the way forward and much to their fans chagrin, she will not be throwing any more money than is necessary at this venture. I think that, by the time she hands the reins over to FOH, she will want to at least very breaking even. Good luck to her. I can see a lot of unrest in the stands of the PBS in the next few years

Keith_M
20-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Budge has. Oreads nailed her colours to the mast. I really can't see the marquee signings their fans have been touting happening under her stewardship. She has made it clear that youth is the way forward and much to their fans chagrin, she will not be throwing any more money than is necessary at this venture. I think that, by the time she hands the reins over to FOH, she will want to at least very breaking even. Good luck to her. I can see a lot of unrest in the stands of the PBS in the next few years

And yet the fans are already calling for the signings of Boyd, Skacel and Gordon.

I think they don't quite get the concept of a youthful team.