PDA

View Full Version : mass hibsteria

ManBearPig
18-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Will we ever see it again better than the propaganda leaflet

jonny
18-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Did you get Sunday off?
In relation to your post - I wondered what happened to the fanzine, I'm sure there was a cup final edition but used to get one regularly along with a programme. Was always good for a few giggles.

Jonnyboy
18-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Will we ever see it again better than the propaganda leaflet

Did you get Sunday off?
In relation to your post - I wondered what happened to the fanzine, I'm sure there was a cup final edition but used to get one regularly along with a programme. Was always good for a few giggles.

I used to be the editor of Mass Hibsteria. The paper version kinda ran out of steam with the advent of fan forums on the net. A net version ran for a while but sadly wasn't viable from a cost point of view. The cup final ones were great and I'm sure a paper one will appear for our next one :greengrin

Eyrie
18-05-2014, 09:48 PM
I used to be the editor of Mass Hibsteria. The paper version kinda ran out of steam with the advent of fan forums on the net. A net version ran for a while but sadly wasn't viable from a cost point of view. The cup final ones were great and I'm sure a paper one will appear for our next one :greengrin

Fond memories of buying it, and think I even had a couple of things printed when you were obviously stuck for material!

Sergey
18-05-2014, 09:49 PM

The Harry Ramsden edition is all ready at the plate-makers...

jonny
18-05-2014, 09:52 PM

So can you tell us the secret identity of 'grumpy gibby'? Theres a few posters on here I have listed as suspects.
Shame it's no longer a regular publication, you and your team did a great job

The Harp
18-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Fond memories of buying it, and think I even had a couple of things printed when you were obviously stuck for material!

Even I had a few articles published in it:wink: which I was quite chuffed about There were some pretty good issues and some talented writers (ok not me) - my favourite would probably be Grumpy Gibby - he'd be even grumpier these days with the kind of season we're having.:grr:

heidtheba
18-05-2014, 10:30 PM
I only had a couple of issues but yep, Grumpy Gibby (the North Stand Hibby? IIRC) was a big hit. I think I got mine from the wee bookshop near to Mr Boni's. I'm sure the owners were a father and son team and big Hibs fans. I got my ticket for the Hunter header at Tynie game from them. Nice people who patiently let me go through their boxes of old copies of World Soccer to buy for info on the Milan teams of the 80s 90s!

Billy McKirdy
18-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Still have a couple of issues stashed away along with a very early copy of The Absolute Game, another Edinburgh produced footy fanzine.

Peevemor
18-05-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't think I missed an issue of Mass Hibsteria, Hibs Monthly and there was at least one other - TANAHESH or something like that. I gave them to the programme shop, together with most of my programmes, when I moved across here.

LaMotta
18-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Did Irvine Welsh not write for the fanzine as 'Octopus'??

Frazerbob
19-05-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't think I missed an issue of Mass Hibsteria, Hibs Monthly and there was at least one other - TANAHESH or something like that. I gave them to the programme shop, together with most of my programmes, when I moved across here.

I remember the TANESHH or something. Was it The Absolutely Non a Essential Hibs Handbook or similar? Anyone able to confirm its name? Also the Proclaimer and the North East Hibernian which was written by Aberdeen Uni students.

Loved the fanzine scene!

ekhibee
19-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Believe it or not I used to get backdated copies of Hibsteria from the 2nd hand record shop in Elm Row (don't think it's there now). It used to be a brilliant fanzine, far funnier than anything Hearts ever produced, and there was a great jokes section in it too. Mind you, that was the late eighties/early nineties, and when I moved through to the west I wasn't able to get a hold of it so easily, and when I did it wasn't quite as good as it had been. I've got a pretty sick sense of humour, I always thought the best copies were the ones that really insulted Hearts.

Peevemor
19-05-2014, 05:26 AM
I remember the TANESHH or something. Was it The Absolutely Non a Essential Hibs Handbook or similar? Anyone able to confirm its name? Also the Proclaimer and the North East Hibernian which was written by Aberdeen Uni students.

Loved the fanzine scene!

I think that was it - I couldn't remember.

The Proclaimer too. :agree:

MB62
19-05-2014, 07:41 AM
So can you tell us the secret identity of 'grumpy gibby'? Theres a few posters on here I have listed as suspects.
Shame it's no longer a regular publication, you and your team did a great job

Far be it for me to 'RAVE' on about contributors but the regular ones will remain secret (unless you know the handshake brother :wink: :greengrin).

I actually have a bundle of old ones I was going to throw out, with some old programmes. Might just hand them in to the programme shop in Albion Road, although I don't know if they would be even interested in them.

DaveF
19-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Loved the fanzine scene!

Pretty sure that was the creation of Stuart Crowther, ex of this parish? Could be wrong though...

Mas Hibsteria \ Hibs Monthly were great reads. "This is how it feels" as an editorial is just so Hibs :greengrin

Saorsa
19-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Was a regular buyer of this back in the day, still have a few boxes of them, was always a great read. :agree:

degenerated
19-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I thought mass hibsteria was excellent and I'm sure somewhere I have a large collection of them.
Going back to the late 80's I always used to get the proclaimer as well.

Peevemor
19-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Far be it for me to 'RAVE' on about contributors but the regular ones will remain secret (unless you know the handshake brother :wink: :greengrin).

I actually have a bundle of old ones I was going to throw out, with some old programmes. Might just hand them in to the programme shop in Albion Road, although I don't know if they would be even interested in them.

When I went 10 years ago with a huge pile of stuff, the guy said it was worth very little but he'd take them to give away to kids, which I thought was fair enough.

SkintHibby
19-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Used to love MHHM. :-)

Would love to know who was behind Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby.

Purple & Green
19-05-2014, 08:35 AM
One idea floated that might see the light of day is a kindle version of the fanzine - no outlay costs, and no need to physically sell copy to cover costs.

Fanzines were magic, modern football is rubbish :)

DaveF
19-05-2014, 10:00 AM
One idea floated that might see the light of day is a kindle version of the fanzine - no outlay costs, and no need to physically sell copy to cover costs.

That would be brilliant if it were to appear. Far too many talented and funny writers associated with the 'zine for it not to be given serious consideration.

sadtom
19-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Anyone remember the 'Glasgow Gossip' Hibs fanzine. Short lived i think. May also have been a forerunner of Hibs Monthly or Mass Hibsteria.
It was quite funny and was the first time i ever saw reference to the 'Hibsballah'. In an amusing mock article about the middle east. I might still have it somewhere. (though it may, in fact, have been in an early Hibs Monthly not the Glasgow Gossip).

The Harp
19-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Anyone remember the 'Glasgow Gossip' Hibs fanzine. Short lived i think. May also have been a forerunner of Hibs Monthly or Mass Hibsteria.
It was quite funny and was the first time i ever saw reference to the 'Hibsballah'. In an amusing mock article about the middle east. I might still have it somewhere. (though it may, in fact, have been in an early Hibs Monthly not the Glasgow Gossip).

Yeah, I remember buying the Glasgow Gossip - had forgotten the title of it, so thanks for the reminder. It was pretty good too. Need to get myself into the attic and have a rummage, might have some early ones up there that would still bring a chuckle.

Carheenlea
19-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Used to love MHHM. :-)

Would love to know who was behind Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby.

Author of "Carspotting -The Real Adventures of Irvine Welsh", Sandy McNair? Have a few of his very entertaining booklets that he released in the early-mid 90`s.
Don`t know if he is on Hibs.net.

ManBearPig
19-05-2014, 12:16 PM
I think there would be plenty of material for the writers to get stuck into in thebcurrent climate.

ManBearPig
19-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Did you get Sunday off?

Yeah our mutual friend you recommended is covering for me!

MB62
19-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Author of "Carspotting -The Real Adventures of Irvine Welsh", Sandy McNair? Have a few of his very entertaining booklets that he released in the early-mid 90`s.
Don`t know if he is on Hibs.net.

I was about to get ripped right in to you for disclosing the secret author of 'Grumpy Gibby, the (old) North stand Hibby, but then I spotted your avatar and realised you know the secret handshake. :wink: :greengrin

Peevemor
19-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Loadiepish!

Eyrie
19-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Loadiepish!

I'm not the sort to have coffee all over my keyboard but that came very close .... :top marks

Jonnyboy
19-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Loved the fanzine scene!

Almost right! The Absolutely Non Essential Hibs Supporters Handbook.

As Dave says, it was created and largely written by Stuart Crowther.

Grumpy Gibby has been 'outed' I see :greengrin The gentleman in question produced his copy on a typewriter and we reproduced it in it's original format. All added to the appeal IMO :agree:

Delighted to read P&G saying a Kindle version may come into being!

MHHM was a labour of love but all who contributed did so willingly. Without our regular and irregular writers the fanzine would have died sooner I reckon

Gregor
19-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Pretty sure that was the creation of Stuart Crowther, ex of this parish? Could be wrong though...

Mas Hibsteria \ Hibs Monthly were great reads. "This is how it feels" as an editorial is just so Hibs :greengrin

Indeed. This turned into Erin Web, with text based match day commentary (we convinced Hibs to install ISDN in the old commentary box in the old West). I wrote the software for the commentary and also the chat page which included an "Irviniser" that would reinterpret what you had typed into something more colloquial. Think I spent a season doing the commentary myself sorting next to Paul Mitchell who is a nice chap for a Jambo. After that it all grew wings.

I took over Erin Web for the Great Adventure season and that was when all the **** kicked off with Hands on Hibs. Bizarre moment when we got the scoop on Latapy when his agent phoned me at work ...

After that, things got too busy at work, Stu took over and moved the site to some forum based thing and renamed it hibs.net ... and I got some work done.

So Tanehsh or whatever it was called became Erin Web became hibs.net ...

Jonnyboy
19-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Indeed. This turned into Erin Web, with text based match day commentary (we convinced Hibs to install ISDN in the old commentary box in the old West). I wrote the software for the commentary and also the chat page which included an "Irviniser" that would reinterpret what you had typed into something more colloquial. Think I spent a season doing the commentary myself sorting next to Paul Mitchell who is a nice chap for a Jambo. After that it all grew wings.

I took over Erin Web for the Great Adventure season and that was when all the **** kicked off with Hands on Hibs. Bizarre moment when we got the scoop on Latapy when his agent phoned me at work ...

After that, things got too busy at work, Stu took over and moved the site to some forum based thing and renamed it hibs.net ... and I got some work done.

So Tanehsh or whatever it was called became Erin Web became hibs.net ...

Ah the memories Gregor :greengrin I think I followed you in the commentary down a phone line to Stu who typed the updates. Agree re Paul BTW although I know a fair few on here don't like him!

KeithTheHibby
19-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Great fanzine and remember it more as Hibs Monthly. When I worked in Leith once a month a trip to the newsagents at the foot of the walk was in order!
Always remember one of the articles, 'would you vouch for Houch', after Keith Houchen went through a nightmare spell for us!

The Green Goblin
19-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Loved the fanzine and even wrote a few articles for it. Got it sent to me when I lived overseas for a while too (it was a great homesickness remedy in a very icy Prague!) Loved reading the articles - all much much better than mine :greengrin

stu in nottingham
19-05-2014, 11:02 PM

Very good idea, B.

There was some mention of a 'Summer Special' with our mutual friend and former member of the team recently!

Scott Allan Key
20-05-2014, 03:57 AM
Good memories. Hope it comes back in some form. There is enough talent on Hibs net to make a very funny and cutting read.