PDA

View Full Version : Brian Mark

scoopyboy
18-05-2014, 07:43 AM
This may have been posted elsewhere, if so please either merge or delete.

Last week I learned that Brian Mark had passed away.

Brian was in my class at Ross High School, Tranent from 1971 to 1976 and will be known to many on here.

He travelled on the Tranent Hibs bus in the seventies and on the East Lothian Hibs bus more recently.

IIRC Brian did a lot of research on Hibs and used to travel to libraries all over Scotland for info. Not sure if anything came of this in terms of publication.

Niffy
18-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Sorry to hear this.

kennyh
18-05-2014, 08:42 AM
RIP Mark

I spent a lot of time chatting to Mark on busses heading home after games at Easter Road and occasionally when our paths crossed on our travels at away games

I remember I bumped into him after a Victory at Ibrox on the underground, it may well have been the Colin Harris match. Bears all around us wear raging, our colours were well hidden and we just looked at each other and smiled. Unable to speak till we got off the tube, then could talk freely about what a great afternoon it had been.

hibbybrian
18-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Brian was in my class at Ross High School, Tranent from 1971 to 1976 and will be known to many on here.

He travelled on the Tranent Hibs bus in the seventies and on the East Lothian Hibs bus more recently.

IIRC Brian did a lot of research on Hibs and used to travel to libraries all over Scotland for info. Not sure if anything came of this in terms of publication.

Bad news indeed - I never met Mark however his research culminated in the production of

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hibernian-F-C-The-War-Years-by-Brian-Mark-/231231911166?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item35d67ef4fe :not worth

I think he was also co-author of a Fanzine called "The Hibernian", which included sections on Hibernian History, of which I have copies of all 8 published.

R.I.P.

crewetollhibee
18-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Sorry to hear that Scoopyboy, I too grew up with Brian although he was a couple years older at school. Got to know him well on the Tranent bus late 70's/early 80's , and saw him occasionally down the years. Always had a smile and a tale about the Hibs. RIP old friend.

DaveSo
18-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Very sorry to hear this.
Knew Mark through work and he was a big Hibee in every sense of the word.
I recall he made a Hibs fanzine back in the day when they were just starting out.
RIP Brian.

Jonnyboy
18-05-2014, 10:53 AM
So sad to hear of Brian's passing. He was a staunch Hibby and shared my passion for the history of our club

RIP Brian

trev the hat
18-05-2014, 11:02 AM
RIP Brian

crewetollhibee
18-05-2014, 11:06 AM
So sad to hear of Brian's passing. He was a staunch Hibby and shared my passion for the history of our club

RIP Brian

Always suspected that you WERE Brian, your knowledge and insights were so similar !!

banchoryhibs
18-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I worked beside Brian for a good number of years; he was a Hibby to the core.

After work he'd head off to the library and spend hours researching old newspapers and journals to plug the gaps in his almost encyclopaedic knowledge of everything Hibernian. He prepared journals covering his research, I don't know what became of them.

He could be quiet and unassuming - until the chat got round to Hibs then he could really express his views!

I've not bumped into him for a few years - really sorry to hear that he's passed away.

scoopyboy
18-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Scoopyboy, I too grew up with Brian although he was a couple years older at school. Got to know him well on the Tranent bus late 70's/early 80's , and saw him occasionally down the years. Always had a smile and a tale about the Hibs. RIP old friend.

You would have enjoyed the Brig prior to the Hearts and Kilmarnock games, it was a mini reunion of the old Tranent Hibs bus from the 70's. Dougie Gray is back from Afghanistan and Adam Gray was back from Chicago for a holiday. We had a few choice memories from the seventies.

With both Grays being abroad it was the first time they had met up in three years.

Purple & Green
18-05-2014, 06:01 PM
After years trying to get in touch with him he got in touch with me through ihibs and he helped me out with some things. He mentioned he had been hospitalised, I had no idea it was so serious.

That's dreadful news, RIP Brian

FranckSuzy
18-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Never knew Brian but he sounds a lovely guy and Hibs daft. RIP.

Jonnyboy
18-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Always suspected that you WERE Brian, your knowledge and insights were so similar !!

We often shared views :greengrin

fatbloke
18-05-2014, 07:14 PM
So sad to hear. Had some good laughs etc over the years wi Brian about the Hibs. As someone posted earlier a big quiet unassuming guy until Hibs were mentioned.

Another member of the Hibernian family taken way to early.

RIP Brian Mark you sir will be sadly missed by all who knew and loved you.

GGTTH

Kojock
18-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Grew up across the road from Brian and nobody could doubt his Hibbyness. He had been in hospital for a few weeks but was home and seemed to be progressing well. He passed away in his sleep last Saturday night into Sunday morning. Went on the Tranent bus with him in the 70s. One of my best memories was on a trip to Aberdeen numerous years ago. We were allocated the end behind the goals opposite the beach end which had the bench style seating. Markie began bouncing up and down and started chanting "Everybody do the Hibees bounce" next thing the whole away end was joining in. I honestly think that Brian invented the Hibees bounce. GGTTH

brog
18-05-2014, 08:59 PM
I worked beside Brian for a good number of years; he was a Hibby to the core.

After work he'd head off to the library and spend hours researching old newspapers and journals to plug the gaps in his almost encyclopaedic knowledge of everything Hibernian. He prepared journals covering his research, I don't know what became of them.

He could be quiet and unassuming - until the chat got round to Hibs then he could really express his views!

I've not bumped into him for a few years - really sorry to hear that he's passed away.

Thats really sad, over the years I've really enjoyed his many publications on Hibs, only yesterday I was reading The War Years, 1939-1946. We've lost far too many good people recently. My thoughts & best wishes go to Brian's friends & family.

erin go bragh
18-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Grew up across the road from Brian and nobody could doubt his Hibbyness. He had been in hospital for a few weeks but was home and seemed to be progressing well. He passed away in his sleep last Saturday night into Sunday morning. Went on the Tranent bus with him in the 70s. One of my best memories was on a trip to Aberdeen numerous years ago. We were allocated the end behind the goals opposite the beach end which had the bench style seating. Markie began bouncing up and down and started chanting "Everybody do the Hibees bounce" next thing the whole away end was joining in. I honestly think that Brian invented the Hibees bounce. GGTTH

Great story HSH . Another great Hibby up with the angels high above .
Rip

Brooster
19-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Very sad news. Brian was a great lad who just wanted to talk about Hibs all the time. I spoke to him a few months ago and his spirits seemed high. I know a few knowledgeable Hibbys but Brian was in a different league. I recall a time, a number of years ago, when he was making a trip to the south of England to visit libraries to get some missing info on a Hibs game from the late 1800s. What Brian didn't know about Hibs wasn't worth knowing. RIP Brian.

tamig
19-05-2014, 06:12 AM

That is very sad news. I used to go on the Tranent bus in the early 80s and Brian was a font of knowledge on all things Hibs related.

Kato
19-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Met Mark many times at the reading rooms in the National Library of Scotland and he was always a grateful polite guy, also spent a lot of time chatting away about Hibs history and he was always very generous with his knowledge. He'll be sadly missed.

Phil D. Rolls
19-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Sad news, my memories of him are similair to others on here. A good humoured, unassuming man, who was always polite. Far too young.

Boris
19-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Knew Brian didn't keep too well & was retired from Civil Service on health grounds a wee while back but a shock nevertheless. First met Brian back in early 70's & got to know him well in later years at the legendary Tranent Hibs "smokers" & when he later travelled on the Musselburgh Hibs bus. Last spoke to him before Partick game at Easter Road the day of the Dan McMichael headstone unveiling by the St Pat's lads. Brian being a keen (to put it mildly) Hibs historian he'd made a cash contribution to the St Pat's fundraising for the memorial.

He would travel all over Scotland to local libraries chasing that elusive Hibs line-up he'd be missing from his latest piece of research & he would sometimes take a week off to travel to the British Newspaper Library at Colindale in North London. A wonderful source of knowledge on Hibs - Alan Lugton is the Hibs stories man, Brian was the statistical equivalent. Had chased down line-ups, scorers, crowds from the most obscure of games. Last time we spoke he was working on a definitive statistical record of Hibs games against English opponents of which there were many in the early days. Most of his carefully researched records were on paper & it was only in the last 18 months or so that he was finally persuaded to join the digital age & invest in a laptop!

Like a lot of "older hands" Brian had become a bit disillusioned with the fayre on offer at Easter Road & this season he took more pleasure in watching the East of Scotland Hibs side at East Mains although he still retained his season ticket & attended Easter Road when his health allowed.

I've just got one photo him - from the mid-70's I reckon - when he was in the Musselburgh Hibs team that took part in an STV quiz at the Store Club in Musselburgh.

Fond memories of some good times with a gentleman, a scholar & a great Hibby.

RIP

Boris
19-05-2014, 04:33 PM
I've just got one photo him - from the mid-70's I reckon - when he was in the Musselburgh Hibs team that took part in an STV quiz at the Store Club in Musselburgh.

RIP

Found the photo I mentioned in earlier post - that's a very young Brian with his trademark beard & Hibs scarf at the back.

Iggy Pope
19-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Found the photo I mentioned in earlier post - that's a very young Brian with his trademark beard & Hibs scarf at the back.

Wouldn't have known the surname, but that photo tells me everything about the man in question.
An extremely well known figure and instantly recognisable. I started travelling on Hawkhill around 1975 and Brian's was a face everyone seemed to know.

Last time I saw him was at East Mains right enough and it is extremely sad to think he has gone.

scoopyboy
19-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Knew Brian didn't keep too well & was retired from Civil Service on health grounds a wee while back but a shock nevertheless. First met Brian back in early 70's & got to know him well in later years at the legendary Tranent Hibs "smokers" & when he later travelled on the Musselburgh Hibs bus. Last spoke to him before Partick game at Easter Road the day of the Dan McMichael headstone unveiling by the St Pat's lads. Brian being a keen (to put it mildly) Hibs historian he'd made a cash contribution to the St Pat's fundraising for the memorial.

He would travel all over Scotland to local libraries chasing that elusive Hibs line-up he'd be missing from his latest piece of research & he would sometimes take a week off to travel to the British Newspaper Library at Colindale in North London. A wonderful source of knowledge on Hibs - Alan Lugton is the Hibs stories man, Brian was the statistical equivalent. Had chased down line-ups, scorers, crowds from the most obscure of games. Last time we spoke he was working on a definitive statistical record of Hibs games against English opponents of which there were many in the early days. Most of his carefully researched records were on paper & it was only in the last 18 months or so that he was finally persuaded to join the digital age & invest in a laptop!

Like a lot of "older hands" Brian had become a bit disillusioned with the fayre on offer at Easter Road & this season he took more pleasure in watching the East of Scotland Hibs side at East Mains although he still retained his season ticket & attended Easter Road when his health allowed.

Fond memories of some good times with a gentleman, a scholar & a great Hibby.

RIP

I'm always amazed at the number of people who post on here that travelled on the old Tranent Hibs bus in the seventies. I must know all of you from that era.

Boris
19-05-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm always amazed at the number of people who post on here that travelled on the old Tranent Hibs bus in the seventies. I must know all of you from that era.

I never travelled on the Tranent Bus Scoopy. I travelled on the equally legendary Musselburgh bus - never knowingly underdrunk - but our committee would get invited to the Tranent smokers (fantastic nights!) & vice versa when we had a do. Great days when the social side was every bit as important to a good Supporters' Club as laying on buses to games. Think the Tranent bus stopped travelling so much in the late 70's & a few of the members, including Brian, switched to travelling with Musselburgh. Another ex-Tranent member is also in the photo - Danny, the other lad with a beard, sadly also no longer with us. He used to travel with his wife Anne.

Monktonhall 7
20-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Very sad news. I was actually thinking a couple of games ago, that I hadn't seen Markie for a while. You do tend to see the familiar faces around ER. I also travelled on the Tranent bus in the 70s and remember him we'll from Ross High.

RIP big man.

confused
20-05-2014, 08:28 AM
R.I.P. Big man , you were a true Hibby , e used to have some great cracks about our beloved team.

tamig
20-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Excellent Boris. You could recognise Brian easily from that pic. A young Jim Gardiner there too.

tamig
20-05-2014, 08:57 AM
I never travelled on the Tranent Bus Scoopy. I travelled on the equally legendary Musselburgh bus - never knowingly underdrunk - but our committee would get invited to the Tranent smokers (fantastic nights!) & vice versa when we had a do. Great days when the social side was every bit as important to a good Supporters' Club as laying on buses to games. Think the Tranent bus stopped travelling so much in the late 70's & a few of the members, including Brian, switched to travelling with Musselburgh. Another ex-Tranent member is also in the photo - Danny, the other lad with a beard, sadly also no longer with us. He used to travel with his wife Anne.

I actually started going on the Musselburgh bus in 1979 - getting on at the Pans town hall. That was with John Dickson, Billy Mince and co from Port Seton and Peter Gray, Jim Gardiner and co from Musselburgh. I'm not sure what happened but I think the bus may have stopped during the 1st Division season and I started going on the Tranent bus. Folks on there were the McBrides, Bob Carr, Tyson from the belter lands, and Jim Gray and co from the Pans. Brian was always on the Tranent bus too in those days. Fantastic times.

Boris
20-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Excellent Boris. You could recognise Brian easily from that pic. A young Jim Gardiner there too.

Not only young - I still had hair, even if it was a curly perm! If I've got the date roughly right I reckon I was about 22 & Brian would be about 20.

Boris
20-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I actually started going on the Musselburgh bus in 1979 - getting on at the Pans town hall. That was with John Dickson, Billy Mince and co from Port Seton and Peter Gray, Jim Gardiner and co from Musselburgh. I'm not sure what happened but I think the bus may have stopped during the 1st Division season and I started going on the Tranent bus. Folks on there were the McBrides, Bob Carr, Tyson from the belter lands, and Jim Gray and co from the Pans. Brian was always on the Tranent bus too in those days. Fantastic times.

You'll recognise a young John Dickson in the photo too then. Also wee Stoory Glynn from Port Seton & Pete Hillhouse from the Pans.

Isaac_Refvik
20-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Remember Brian well from when he occasionally travelled on the Musselburgh bus. Lovely man. For some reason I remember me and my mates calling him Moby Dick. Always had a Hibs related conversation ready. RIP Big Man.

Keith_M
20-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't have known the surname, but that photo tells me everything about the man in question.
An extremely well known figure and instantly recognisable. I started travelling on Hawkhill around 1975 and Brian's was a face everyone seemed to know.

I was about to post something similar. I also didn't know the name but immediately recognised him from the photo.

I had a brief spell travelling on the Musselburgh bus, early to mid 80s (before I moved to the darkest reaches of Dalkeith), so the face is familiar from then.

A bit late but, RIP.

RIP
20-05-2014, 02:31 PM
That is a face I recognise from back in the day. Always a shock when fowk younger than me pass away.

Musselburgh bus - JG's perm :greengrin, radge singing, lager, Caprice pizza, crashing at somebody's hoose rather than get the last 26 fae Eastfield. I ended up playing darts with Mrs Forman's and even frequented Billy's Bar in the Pans for some bizarre reason

Amazed my liver survived!

RIP lad

tamig
20-05-2014, 07:52 PM
You'll recognise a young John Dickson in the photo too then. Also wee Stoory Glynn from Port Seton & Pete Hillhouse from the Pans.

Jeez. Just had a look again and noticed them! I have you to thank for sheltering me from my worst experience of football violence at Rugby Park during that relegation season. Bricks and bottles were raining down in the street after the game, cars stuck in traffic caught in the mayhem. Me and my mate tucked in beside you as we walked back to the bus and made it unscathed!

Boris
21-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Hearing this morning that Brian's funeral will take place this Monday (26th). Service is at the Co-op Funeral parlour in Tranent at 10am & then onward to Gladsmuir cemetery for around 10:45.

GORDONSMITH7
21-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear this. I new Brian for decades and the last time we spoke was Patrick/ Dan McMichael. However the first time we met was not Hibs related but through politics, Labour Party Young Socialists/Militant. For a big quiet felly he was a great speaker, passionate Left winger and a tireless supporter of the Miners during their 12 month strike in 1984, collecting dough most Saturday mornings. Disnae seem like 30 years ago. Who knows where the time goes.

A win tonight would be a fitting tribute to Brian.

See ye behind the goals Comrade.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
22-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear this. I new Brian for decades and the last time we spoke was Patrick/ Dan McMichael. However the first time we met was not Hibs related but through politics, Labour Party Young Socialists/Militant. For a big quiet felly he was a great speaker, passionate Left winger and a tireless supporter of the Miners during their 12 month strike in 1984, collecting dough most Saturday mornings. Disnae seem like 30 years ago. Who knows where the time goes.

A win tonight would be a fitting tribute to Brian.

See ye behind the goals Comrade.

GGTTH

BIG G

Bill Milne
22-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I couldn't help thinking of Brian at full time last night, especially after seeing Boris (Jim Gardner) at the start. In my mind, securing safety will be a fitting tribute to Markie.

Boris
26-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Just back from Brian's funeral in Tranent (service) then Gladsmuir (burial).

Totally surreal moment when minister, after having talked about Brian's socialist commitment, moved on to talk about his love of Hibs - minister said he needed to explain first that he was a Hamilton Accies fan & was at the game yesterday: "I'm sorry" he said! (for Big G & Billy Milne: bit like that moment in Tobago a few years back on tour with Hibs at memorial service for Alec that died in skijet accident & THAT tune started up!). Everybody among the mainly Hibby attendance just burst out laughing!

As an aside, I spoke to the minister at the graveyard & congratulated him on how well his team played yesterday. He said he was there with his brother & his 2 lads, all wearing scarves, & they'd been surprised but delighted by the number of Hibs fans who'd congratulated them as they walked up Easter Road after the game. Small consolation for Hibbies I know but it says a lot about a club by the way they react to defeat.

RIP Brian.