PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone's success

madhatter
17-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Is this success borne out of the fact they have 3 solid defenders above the age of 28 who are still mobile? We've tried similar but always get defenders who are too slow to keep up with game (Nelson). A good solid backline that threatens at both ends is key to success these days.

I also think MacLean was outstanding at linking up play.

Each time we get a player over 30, especially upfront. We get an old "past it" player that can barely run - Kuqi, Vine being examples.

Blocks Biloxi
17-05-2014, 09:12 PM
A cup-winning team - outwith the old firm - tends to be hard-working, with a player or two that makes the difference. We almost had that with Griffiths in Fenlon's team.

St. Johnstone were very well organised today. Ciftci looked in the mood to cause mischief, but they made sure it was always in areas that couldn't hurt them.

Pretty Boy
17-05-2014, 09:18 PM
They had pace, drive and energy in abundance, things we have lacked for years.

A lot was made of the performance of Wotherspoon, and he was good, but I thought the guy O'Halloran was outstanding. Ran his socks off, covered every blade of grass and constantly tried to drive the team forward.

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Wow someone still managing to get a dig at Nelson in relation to St Johnstone's success..........................****** tiresome.

LancashireHibby
17-05-2014, 09:21 PM
O'Halloran wasn't even good enough to get in Bolton's reserves. The talent is there if we look hard enough for it.

Golden Bear
17-05-2014, 09:25 PM
They were motivated, well prepared and up for the occasion. Wish I could say the same following the non appearance of our pathetic wee lambs in the previous two finals.

Potty78
17-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Delighted for Steven MacLean. An old neighbour of mine and a good lad. Played well too!

madhatter
17-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Wow someone still managing to get a dig at Nelson in relation to St Johnstone's success..........................****** tiresome.

Was not a dig. Just stating he struggles due to pace. What is more tiresome is our constant underachieving but I guess that's just me.

Spike Mandela
17-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Was not a dig. Just stating he struggles due to pace. What is more tiresome is our constant underachieving but I guess that's just me.

Know what you are saying but it is St Johnstone's first trophy in 130 years. They aren't a model to follow, it's just their turn. We've had plenty chances over the years and blew most but won the League Cup a few times and there will be others.

Nelson won the League cup with Kilmarnock. When your luck's in it's in.

topmab
17-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Delighted for Spoony. He could have scored one of the best goals in a Scottish Cup Final as well.

topmab
17-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Delighted for Spoony. He could have scored one of the best goals in a Scottish Cup Final as well.
And Pat Nevin has literally just agreed with me on Sportscene. He said, it would have been one of the best goals ever scored in a SCF!!!!!!!

Ronniekirk
17-05-2014, 10:32 PM
And Pat Nevin has literally just agreed with me on Sportscene. He said, it would have been one of the best goals ever scored in a SCF!!!!!!!
Correct would have been but he shot right at the keeper .He had a good game and was pleased for hint but he had a few digs at goal and never looked like scoring ,but the footwork leading up to that missed chance was sublime

The Harp
17-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Congratulations to St J on a thoroughly deserved win and their first piece of silverware.
Great to see Spoony playing a major part in their success.

Sprouleflyer
18-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Congratulations to St Johnstone, thought they fully deserved to win the cup with the attitude an commitment showing by every one of their players.

I will also add that I thought Dundee Utd were a little unlucky as they also had some very good chances to score.....how the efforts that hit the post and bar and not going in off the keepers back is beyond me! They also missed a couple of gilt edged headers during the game.

Although 2-0 to St's, the game could easily have been up there with the Motherwell - Dun Utd cup final in the 90's.

Brunswickbill
20-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I went to the cup final to find out what it's like to go to a Scottish Cup Final and not want to slit my wrists at the end.

In a pub beforehand and washing my hands I looked up and the toilet was full of guys with YAM on the back of their shirts. Looked round and realised that I had been looking in the mirror and the shirts said MAY. Whew! What a rellief.

All in all a great game and Spoony had a really good game. Good for him, he deserves it.