PDA

View Full Version : I'm jealous of St Johnstone...

Paperboy
17-05-2014, 03:58 PM
...as the title says.

they've become an established top six side, got one of the hottest prospects in Scottish football playing for them and they've just won the Scottish Cup.

No idea what they're doing differently in Perth and it's a strange thing to say but maybe we should take a leaf out of their book.

I hope our players were watching that today and taking notes. At the start of the season I wouldn't have taken any of their players at Easter Road bar May probably but I'd take them all in a heartbeat after that performance. They played with commitment, with confidence and with conviction. And probably other things not beginning with a C.

That's how you play a cup final. And with two massive ones coming up for Hibs let's hope the players were watching closely.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2014, 04:01 PM
So sad but it's night and day between us at the moment :-(

Spike Mandela
17-05-2014, 04:03 PM
...as the title says.

they've become an established top six side, got one of the hottest prospects in Scottish football playing for them and they've just won the Scottish Cup.

No idea what they're doing differently in Perth and it's a strange thing to say but maybe we should take a leaf out of their book.

I hope our players were watching that today and taking notes. At the start of the season I wouldn't have taken any of their players at Easter Road bar May probably but I'd take them all in a heartbeat after that performance. They played with commitment, with confidence and with conviction. And probably other things not beginning with a C.

That's how you play a cup final. And with two massive ones coming up for Hibs let's hope the players were watching closely.

As I've said to my friends Hibs would be better treating these games as semi finals rather than finals. We have a much better record in semis.:greengrin

Onion
17-05-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm not. Just delighted to see teams who have been around the edges of trophies for decades actually win things. If this armageddon, bring it on.

Really good final played by 2 honest teams with the right side lifting the trophy - well done St J.

Paperboy
17-05-2014, 04:05 PM
As I've said to my friends Hibs would be better treating these games as semi finals rather than finals. We have a much better record in semis.:greengrin

good point! Although let's hope at no point are we three goals down to Falkirk again!

lucky
17-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Was good game to watch. One day it might be us but well done Saints

Mr White
17-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Good managerial appointments going back 9 years to coyle has given them a solid foundation. Coyle mcinnes lomas wright.

Paperboy
17-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Got a lump in my throat watching that Millar hand his medal to the old guy in the crowd!

Seekyit
17-05-2014, 04:25 PM
No, not jealous. Enjoyed the game and I'm pleased for St. Johnstone.

17-05-2014, 04:29 PM
So sad but it's night and day between us at the moment :-(

Unfortunatly thats true. What I would give to be in their position right now.

They work with a fraction of the budget we have yet year after year they achieve far better than us. Fair play to them, they get the best out a tight budget but definatly makes you wonder what the hell is going on with us. We "should" on the resources and budget we have be miles ahead of these clubs but unfortunatly we couldn't be further off.

Sir David Gray
17-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Let's treat the first leg like the semi final, win it 5-0 and then (hopefully) it won't matter what we do in the "final" in the second leg. :greengrin

Gatecrasher
17-05-2014, 04:42 PM
IM happy for them, it was a good game to watch as well.

17-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Always nice to see a team like St Johnston win it and for there to be a final that has neither OF team involved. I know its a clique but that was a good advert for Scottish football, the OF are not the only teams that enjoy success in Scotland.

ekhibee
17-05-2014, 04:47 PM
It was a good game to watch, and overall St Johnstone definitely deserved to win. I was just wondering, was it really Lomas that put this team together? Preston was saying after the game that Lomas had lost the dressing room, didn't know that either but it was Preston that said it so it's probably crap.

Moulin Yarns
17-05-2014, 04:52 PM
I watched the final with a Hamilton fan, and he is looking forward to playing us in the Play off. My nephew is a Bairns fan and is making plans to meet me before the game next Sunday. Says it all really.

Oh Aye, Well done to the Perth Saints today, Monday is going to be HELL going into work, at Perth and Kinross Council. :wink:

Actually, Really pleased for them, no, really. If I could have got a seat on a bus I would have been there supporting Saints.

erin go bragh
17-05-2014, 04:53 PM
They waited 130 years to win their first ever major trophy .
We have won 4 league titles , 3 league cups and 2 Scottish cups in our 139 year history . Well done to them and especially Spoony . Our time will come and it will be all the sweeter when it does .

Ggtth

Moulin Yarns
17-05-2014, 04:56 PM
It was a good game to watch, and overall St Johnstone definitely deserved to win. I was just wondering, was it really Lomas that put this team together? Preston was saying after the game that Lomas had lost the dressing room, didn't know that either but it was Preston that said it so it's probably crap.

Working in Perth, there were a lot of rumours about Lomas. Not going to say what but not football related.

RIP
17-05-2014, 04:58 PM
They have a better business model.

The Brown family are House builders. Proven entrepreneurs that know the critical success factors for constructing a football club

Weststandwanab
17-05-2014, 05:04 PM
...as the title says.

That's how you play a cup final. And with two massive ones coming up for Hibs let's hope the players were watching closely. Which leaf are you thinking about ?

Always nice to see a team like St Johnston win it and for there to be a final that has neither OF team involved. I know its a clique but that was a good advert for Scottish football, the OF are not the only teams that enjoy success in Scotland. Indeed

weonlywon6-2
17-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Having just been in the st johnstone end on the day they win the scottish cup i have to say i have mixed feelings about all,for me st johnstone were comfortable and won the game easily in the end ,what o did find odd was the lack of passion by thefans at the end,apart from one elderly gent who was crying and clearly a long term fan.
If only hibs had been there,we would have burst the place open

Moulin Yarns
17-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Having just been in the st johnstone end on the day they win the scottish cup i have to say i have mixed feelings about all,for me st johnstone were comfortable and won the game easily in the end ,what o did find odd was the lack of passion by thefans at the end,apart from one elderly gent who was crying and clearly a long term fan.

Really? I think I might find different when I go to work at the Cooncil on Monday morning beside loads of diehard fans. Actually looking forward to the buzz on Monday.

Watching on TV it looked like some didn't actually believe it had happened.

weonlywon6-2
17-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Honestly mate,we kept saying to each other at the end,if this had been hibs the place would have been bouncing,i do feel happy for the fans who go every week as they deserve their day.

Good on them,hope they have great evening

Moulin Yarns
17-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Honestly mate,we kept saying to each other at the end,if this had been hibs the place would have been bouncing,i do feel happy for the fans who go every week as they deserve their day.

Good on them,hope they have great evening

Cocoa nad slipper by nine :greengrin

17-05-2014, 05:36 PM

The party to night in Perth will be unreal. But I know what you mean, if we won it i would be in absolute floods lol!

Billy Whizz
17-05-2014, 05:40 PM
What a strange season its been. We beat then 2-1 at Perth early in the season. In the next fixture at ER it ended 0-0, Cregg getting sent off just after coming on. The St Johnstone performance that day was the worst at ER in my opinion, this season.
Fast forward to March this year and they beat us 2-0, going on 5 or 6. We've got steadily worse, and they've improved dramatically.

17-05-2014, 05:43 PM
I wonder how Liam Craig feels watching that

hibees 7062
17-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Working in Perth, there were a lot of rumours about Lomas. Not going to say what but not football related.

All true , jumped before he was pushed :agree:

Pretty Boy
17-05-2014, 05:50 PM

I suppose it's always going to be difficult to pick out the real die hards at a game like today. The 3/4000 they get most weeks would be totally lost in amongst 15000+.

It was the same when we took 35000 v Livi. I had guys sitting near me that didn't have a clue who any of the players were.

Hibs7
17-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Good managerial appointments going back 9 years to coyle has given them a solid foundation. Coyle mcinnes lomas wright.

And therein lies the basis for a good team. But also an owner who is a supporter at heart. .

leggeto
17-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Well done saints, well done spoony

Gerard
17-05-2014, 06:28 PM
They waited 130 years to win their first ever major trophy .
We have won 4 league titles , 3 league cups and 2 Scottish cups in our 139 year history . Well done to them and especially Spoony . Our time will come and it will be all the sweeter when it does .

Ggtth

:thumbsup::top marks:wink:

Weststandwanab
17-05-2014, 06:36 PM
If you are not prepared to say why post it ?

Really ?

The last two finals Hibs failed to turn up and a third in a row I would prefer not to think about.

:thumbsup::top marks:wink: in your life time ? More chance of 44 getting their act together

emerald green
17-05-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm not jealous of St Johnstone. They played well and won the trophy fair and square. I just wish I could see my club, Hibs, win it one day and get the monkey of the club's back once and for all.

SaulGoodman
17-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Really ?

The last two finals Hibs failed to turn up and a third in a row I would prefer not to think about.

http://i.imgur.com/RhnUVpQ.gif

BoltonHibee
17-05-2014, 07:27 PM
They have a better business model.

The Brown family are House builders. Proven entrepreneurs that know the critical success factors for constructing a football club

Never a truer word

silverhibee
17-05-2014, 08:06 PM

I know what you are saying about Lomas, lots of rumours about the guy but none proven, one thing for sure and the guy liked a bevvy and his time at St Js seen a drink culture at the club, lots of stories about players out on the pish night before a game in Perth and a player being arrested for drink driving in the early hours of a Friday morning when he had training on the Friday and a game on the Saturday, Lomas never lost the dressing room, he done everything for his players and stood by them, sure it was when he took the players over to Spain for a 5 day break after the split and they just got wasted every night, that was not a problem for Lomas it was his idea for the bonding excercise, but when they came back from the break they never won another game and Lomas felt let down by the players who he had put his trust in and words were said and the players turned on him, then other rumours started going about a incident at St Js ground and his days were numbered.

MartinfaePorty
17-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Almost home after a day at the game with 3 mates: a Jambo, a Saintee and an Arab. All of us, except the Arab, were in the Saints end behind the goal. So happy for them, but it obviously doesn't mean as much as it would to us. If it wasn't for half a dozen drunk laddies on the train, you would have been forgiven for thinking there was a game on. 4th cup final in 5 years, let's hope it's Hibs that I see winning next time!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

MartinfaePorty
17-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Sorry, wasn't a game on!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-05-2014, 10:43 PM
No need to be jelous of them. They have won the SC and fair play to them.

Ell_Chrisso
17-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Totally agree with the bloke about the atmosphere...

For me being a Perth lad, I also went along to the game today to support my home team and was just completely dissapointed with the atmosphere at the game. Far too many people there from the City for a family day out and even the die-hard's could hardly muster up a song.

At full time it was a little bit more than an average celebration but again, nothing like you would do anything for (as all us Hibees would)

Amazing how different supports just see things as a game of football, where other passionate supports don't get the lucky straw. To be fair, even UTD were quiet today. Was a no point a cup final atmosphere IMO

weonlywon6-2
17-05-2014, 11:29 PM
I suppose it's always going to be difficult to pick out the real die hards at a game like today. The 3/4000 they get most weeks would be totally lost in amongst 15000+.

It was the same when we took 35000 v Livi. I had guys sitting near me that didn't have a clue who any of the players were.
This was it exactly,apart from the older gent i mentioned earlier in the thread who had tears in his eyes at the end fans were just applauding,virtually no hugging each other and go mad,but hey ho its good a team from glasgow didnt win it

Paisley Hibby
17-05-2014, 11:42 PM
All true , jumped before he was pushed :agree:

Did he not jump for the bigger money he would get at Millwall?

Dashing Bob S
17-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Well done St Johnstone, but as a club they are pish and a somewhat laughable joke.

(Dusts cocaine from upper lip.)

HKhibby
18-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Unfortunatly thats true. What I would give to be in their position right now.

They work with a fraction of the budget we have yet year after year they achieve far better than us. Fair play to them, they get the best out a tight budget but definatly makes you wonder what the hell is going on with us. We "should" on the resources and budget we have be miles ahead of these clubs but unfortunatly we couldn't be further off.

Totally agree with that as well! they do work with a fraction of the Hibs budget, and look what they have achieved! Good luck to them, well deserved win.....could be just a one off, but with the way things are going just now in the league, they are well capable of doing it again, good manager it appears they have as well.
Really hoping we stay up & Butcher gets a chance to bring in some of his own players, then he can be properly judged!

ALF TUPPER
18-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Not jealous of St J. Just thoroughly p*ssed off that others seems to win the thing except us.

St Midden, Well, Dons, Utd and "them" ( yeah they cheated but history books will show etc/... ).
Maybe in my lifetime we can do it. Always felt sorry for the generations of Hibbys who hadn't seen us lift the SC. :rolleyes:

Just embarrassing now.

Anyway Play-Offs .... FFS

Tonez
18-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Massive congratulation to St Johnstone. I was there yesterday along with 30 family members supporting my younger cousin Miller who plays for them. Nice touch coming into the crowd to see his dad and putting his Scottish cup winners medal around his neck, he handed his top to his nephew aswell :top marks. I've been and supported Hibs in 3 finals and they failed each time, finally celebrated a cup final win watching my cousins team. :aok:

Ronniekirk
18-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Everything we haven't had and patience to put may out and develop him and now reaping reward and must have someone with eye for player in scouting system as o halleran had good game and he was discarded by spurs was he not .

VivaHiberņa
18-05-2014, 07:50 PM

I know what you are saying about Lomas, lots of rumours about the guy but none proven, one thing for sure and the guy liked a bevvy and his time at St Js seen a drink culture at the club, lots of stories about players out on the pish night before a game in Perth and a player being arrested for drink driving in the early hours of a Friday morning when he had training on the Friday and a game on the Saturday, Lomas never lost the dressing room, he done everything for his players and stood by them, sure it was when he took the players over to Spain for a 5 day break after the split and they just got wasted every night, that was not a problem for Lomas it was his idea for the bonding excercise, but when they came back from the break they never won another game and Lomas felt let down by the players who he had put his trust in and words were said and the players turned on him, then other rumours started going about a incident at St Js ground and his days were numbered.

More or less what I've heard too. I also heard an unconfirmed (but I have no reason to believe untrue) story about him liking a wee sing-song once he's had a few pints, from the same song-book as Donald Findlay...

Mr White
18-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Drinking culture and questionable songs aside, Lomas' back to back European qualifications and third in the league is an outstanding achievement for a st johnstone manager. They named a stand after the last guy to do that so god knows how they're going to mark tommy wrights cup winning achievement...