PDA

View Full Version : NHC Manchester City and the Financial Fair Play rules

Keith_M
17-05-2014, 10:27 AM
So, under the new Financial Fair Play Rules, City have been found guilty (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/manchester-city-fine-transfer-cap-uefa-ffp) and fined, also given a maximum net spend limit for next Transfer Window.

It all sounds good until you read the terms and conditions.

They must not exceed a net outlay (total purchases minus sales) of £49 Million in the next window. That's already an incredible amount of money to be allowed to spend in the first place and City say they had no intention of losing that much anyway in this Transfer Window. Why would they, they already have the players they spent hundreds of millions on in their squad.

They also have a fine of £49 million. However, they can get two thirds of that back if they restrict their losses to certan levels in the next two seasons. That's right, they'll still be allowed to make losses but get rewarded for them not being too much!

Financial Fair Play?

jdships
17-05-2014, 10:32 AM
So, under the new Financial Fair Play Rules, City have been found guilty (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/manchester-city-fine-transfer-cap-uefa-ffp) and fined, also given a maximum net spend limit for next Transfer Window.

They must not exceed a net outlay (total purchases minus sales) of £49 Million in the next window. That's already an incredible amount of money to be allowed to spend in the first place and City say they had no intention of losing that much anyway in this Transfer Window. Why would they, they already have the players they spent hundreds of millions on in their squad.

They also have a fine of £49 million. However, they can get two thirds of that back if they restrict their losses to certan levels in the next two seasons. That's right, they'll still be allowed to make losses but get rewarded for them not being too much!

Financial Fair Play?

Couldn't have put it better !!
Read it twice last night and had to chuckle - Found Guilty and ................ ? :wink:
" Take away with one hand and give back with the other " comes to mind :confused:

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Financial Fair Play?

FFP system is a waste of time, I don't see the need for it anyway, there has always been clubs who have been able to buy big and those who haven't, that will never change so get on with it is my opinion. New money, old money so what, it's the way of the world.

Ozyhibby
17-05-2014, 11:01 AM
FFP system is a waste of time, I don't see the need for it anyway, there has always been clubs who have been able to buy big and those who haven't, that will never change so get on with it is my opinion. New money, old money so what, it's the way of the world.

Totally disagree. I think the American and Australian models for league salary caps are much more exciting for fans and encourage clubs to build teams.

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Totally disagree. I think the American and Australian models for league salary caps are much more exciting for fans and encourage clubs to build teams.

Yes those leagues are renowned for their excitement and such a draw to football spectators across the globe.

The_Exile
17-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes those leagues are renowned for their excitement and such a draw to football spectators across the globe.

Think he means that all teams have a fair shot at it, and that no one team can buy success, which would be more exciting than our top priority of trying to finish 2nd or 3rd every year.

Ozyhibby
17-05-2014, 11:22 AM

I wasn't specifically talking about Soccer.

Diclonius
17-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Any chance Real Madrid will get done for being bankrolled by the Bank of Spain for the last forever?

Of course not! The "fair play" rules exist to make sure the established European elite can continue to pay ridiculous amounts of money whilst clubs that dare to challenge them the only way possible - i.e. spending as much money - get crippled.

UEFA at its finest. What a horrible little organisation.

sidjames
17-05-2014, 11:57 AM

Aaargh. It's FOOTBALL!

Hibs Class
17-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Any chance Real Madrid will get done for being bankrolled by the Bank of Spain for the last forever?

Of course not! The "fair play" rules exist to make sure the established European elite can continue to pay ridiculous amounts of money whilst clubs that dare to challenge them the only way possible - i.e. spending as much money - get crippled.

I agree. It is elitist.

Carheenlea
17-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Aaargh. It's FOOTBALL!

The word "Soccer" was abbreviated from "Association Football" in the 1850`s in England. "Assoc" which soon developed into "soccer", so arguably, to call the sport soccer is the proper thing to do. :nerd:

Speedy
17-05-2014, 12:29 PM

It works in things like Ice Hockey, American Football, Basketball and AFL because there is no (significant) global demand for players of those sport. So effectively, the cap is on the whole market and the leagues involved can remain competitive while retaining the best players.

If we did it in football then the players would go elsewhere and we'd end up paying the maximum salary to a lower standard of player. People would then follow other leagues because they want to see the best players (as we see in Scotland with the English leagues).

sidjames
17-05-2014, 12:31 PM
The word "Soccer" was abbreviated from "Association Football" in the 1850`s in England. "Assoc" which soon developed into "soccer", so arguably, to call the sport soccer is the proper thing to do. :nerd:

Only in the colonies. (And in Ireland where they like to be different :))

cabbageandribs1875
17-05-2014, 12:58 PM

even if they introduced a salary cap(which they wont) clubs would just offer players freebies like a new house, a row of houses, or a brown envelope

Keith_M
17-05-2014, 02:40 PM

I doubt it, because FFP appears to have been put in place to protect the established elite from any newcomers trying to de-throne them. That's why clubs like City and PSG are being given sanctions (for what they're worth) and not the likes of Real Madrid.

My opinion is that there IS a place for Fair Play Rules of some description. They should protect the other clubs from the likes of Rangers and Hearts buying success then dumping their debts, or to ensure that fans of a club know their club has a future and isn't likely to dissappear at some point because of mismanagement.

However, I have no faith whatsoever in the footballing authorities to implement any genuine 'Fair Play' rules.

even if they introduced a salary cap(which they wont) clubs would just offer players freebies like a new house, a row of houses, or a brown envelope

:agree:

City have pretty much said as much already. The are not allowed to increase salaries for next season so plan to get round this by paying extra 'bonus' money.

Then there's the likes of Rangers and The Dual Contracts/Never Repaid Loans.

Love the Green
17-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Great post add Man united to that £300m+ in debt and still allowed to pay rooney 300k a week and spend millions on players why the F do they not pay their debts off. Fair play is allowing all teams to spend the same max £££ on transfers.

Haymaker
17-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Great post add Man united to that £300m+ in debt and still allowed to pay rooney 300k a week and spend millions on players why the F do they not pay their debts off. Fair play is allowing all teams to spend the same max £££ on transfers.

It's not about their debt it is about losing money per year. United and other post profits AND service their debt without defaulting.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2014, 07:12 PM

UEFA at its finest. What a horrible little organisation.Blindly spending hundreds of millions of some billionaires money is not the only way to be successful.

CalgaryHibs
18-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Financial Fair Play?

Yeh kinda strange set up really for this rule but it n place now ?? Also PSG Galatasaray and three Russian clubs all were hit. Funny these teams I"ve mentioned all won there leagues ?

Diclonius
18-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Blindly spending hundreds of millions of some billionaires money is not the only way to be successful.

But is it morally more repugnant than spending hundreds of millions of an entire country's money? UEFA seems to think so.

Love the Green
18-05-2014, 03:16 PM
It's not about their debt it is about losing money per year. United and other post profits AND service their debt without defaulting.

Yes what a sensible rule be in debt and pay a fortune in interest and be welcome in the so called elite league where it is an offence to try and compete unless you are one of the BIG clubs.
Have no debt at all and because you dont earn as much as other clubs but have a nice little nest egg in Abu Dabi you are punished.

Fair play my arse when clubs with 70.000k gates or charge a fortune like Arsenal will always earn more than the spurs, everton and even liverpool of this world..how do these teams compete.
Tell me a team that has won the EPL with little or no injection of big cash.

"keep the faith"

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes what a sensible rule be in debt and pay a fortune in interest and be welcome in the so called elite league where it is an offence to try and compete unless you are one of the BIG clubs.
Have no debt at all and because you dont earn as much as other clubs but have a nice little nest egg in Abu Dabi you are punished.

Fair play my arse when clubs with 70.000k gates or charge a fortune like Arsenal will always earn more than the spurs, everton and even liverpool of this world..how do these teams compete.
Tell me a team that has won the EPL with little or no injection of big cash.

"keep the faith"

Again, it's not about the debt.

If a club can make a profit, after servicing its debt, then I see no problem.

If a club, no matter whether it has debt or not, makes consistent massive losses, that is where the problem lies.

Love the Green
18-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Again, it's not about the debt.

If a club can make a profit, after servicing its debt, then I see no problem.

If a club, no matter whether it has debt or not, makes consistent massive losses, that is where the problem lies.

So who is it hurting if a teammakes a loss and can cover any losses by paying them up front immediately.

Fair play is only fair play if all teams are allowed to spend the same on transfers and have a wage cap..anything else is unfair.The big bullies for years cannot handle the challenge.

keep the faith

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2014, 04:05 PM
So who is it hurting if a teammakes a loss and can cover any losses by paying them up front immediately.

Fair play is only fair play if all teams are allowed to spend the same on transfers and have a wage cap..anything else is unfair.The big bullies for years cannot handle the challenge.

keep the faith

A team making consistent losses, ie spending more than its income, is gaining an unfair advantage on its competitors.

Fair play is when clubs live within their means.

Love the Green
18-05-2014, 04:44 PM
A team making consistent losses, ie spending more than its income, is gaining an unfair advantage on its competitors.

Fair play is when clubs live within their means.

No fair play is when teams pay their DEBTS then live on what thay have left
FFS if sheik mansoor camr to ER tomorrow with nhis cash would we send him packing and say sorry we cant use your money to help us win trophies we have to spend the money our 8K crowds bring in as weel as any other revenue a little support can generate.

NO DEBT AT CITY

keep the faith see you on Wenesday

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2014, 04:53 PM
No fair play is when teams pay their DEBTS then live on what thay have left
FFS if sheik mansoor camr to ER tomorrow with nhis cash would we send him packing and say sorry we cant use your money to help us win trophies we have to spend the money our 8K crowds bring in as weel as any other revenue a little support can generate.

NO DEBT AT CITY

keep the faith see you on Wenesday

Given that Hibs have debts of c£6m, your fair play model demands on us paying that off, and then living off our income. Were that applied throughout football, there would hardly be any clubs playing.

Debt is an integral part of business. The trick, though, is to be able to service it and, in time, reduce it.

IWasThere2016
18-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Man C are investing millions in the local area to the Etihad, and creating an excellent infrastructure for the community, the ladies game etc. I doubt UEFA even bothered to consider this..

Love the Green
18-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Man C are investing millions in the local area to the Etihad, and creating an excellent infrastructure for the community, the ladies game etc. I doubt UEFA even bothered to consider this..

And the ladies beat Arsenal today for the first time
oh no bad CITY must be stopped we cannot let them win anything they may prove to be better than the establishment teams

Iggy Pope
18-05-2014, 06:06 PM
On the subject of Spanish football, the establishment and how they treat their clubs, look at what they are doing to a successful, financially sound, lower league 'model'.

Disgrace.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/laliga/id/1658?cc=5739

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2014, 06:15 PM
But is it morally more repugnant than spending hundreds of millions of an entire country's money? UEFA seems to think so.That isn't what I'm talking about. You said the only way to compete is to spend a lot of money, Atletico and Dortmund have proved that wrong in the last 2 years.

Haymaker
18-05-2014, 06:18 PM
On the subject of Spanish football, the establishment and how they treat their clubs, look at what they are doing to a successful, financially sound, lower league 'model'.

Disgrace.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/laliga/id/1658?cc=5739

Mental.

CropleyWasGod
18-05-2014, 06:52 PM
And the ladies beat Arsenal today for the first time
oh no bad CITY must be stopped we cannot let them win anything they may prove to be better than the establishment teams

You a City fan by any chance?

ScottB
18-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Ultimately, City can well afford to spend what they do, as can Chelsea.

It's not like Hearts were they were spending money and running up huge debts they could never afford. City spending their Sheiks cash is in what way different to Chelsea's Russian billions, or Man Utd and Liverpool's American backers (debt heavy) dollars? Or is it just because people get a bit uppity because they invariably have some soft spot for United or Liverpool?

They are all ludicrous institutions that have become large scale Football Manager games for the mega wealthy. People are complaining because what, City spent a slightly larger mind boggling sum of money than their league rivals did?