PDA

View Full Version : Scott Vernon

Django
15-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Just been released by Aberdeen. Personally- would take him at ER Thoughts?

Jones28
15-05-2014, 01:33 PM
No

TowerHibs
15-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Just been released by Aberdeen. Personally- would take him at ER Thoughts?

He's rank rotten - have a look at his record

Some people are happy accepting dross

J-C
15-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Another Vine, no ta.

Nutmegged
15-05-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't think his record is too bad to be honest, I don't think he'd be an improvement on what we've got but I don't think he's any worse either.

he managed 9 goals this season which isn't brilliant but it was only from from 13 starts and 20 sub appearances

easty
15-05-2014, 01:35 PM
We should be looking at better players than that, and there are plenty of them about.

He's good enough for the Aberdeen bench I suppose, and if we are to aspire to being as good as Aberdeens back ups then he'd be a decent signing.

easty
15-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't think his record is too bad to be honest, I don't think he'd be an improvement on what we've got but I don't think he's any worse either.

he managed 9 goals this season which isn't brilliant but it was only from from 13 starts and 20 sub appearances

I had a look, he scored 2 hat-tricks, so 3 goals in the other 31 games. 2 hat-tricks in a season isnae bad mind, but the 3 in 31 is pretty dire. He's just no very good.

leggeto
15-05-2014, 01:43 PM
A mixu type player might do a job for someone in the championship maybe

Nutmegged
15-05-2014, 01:45 PM
I had a look, he scored 2 hat-tricks, so 3 goals in the other 31 games. 2 hat-tricks in a season isnae bad mind, but the 3 in 31 is pretty dire. He's just no very good.

Its impossible to judge him on 31 games if we don't know how many minutes he actually played in those 31 games...McInnes brought in Zola and McGinn was already the top man at the club so his appearances were always going to be limited, Rooney was signed in January when Zola failed but I think Vernon did alright, I'll be amazed if he got more than 20 minutes in the majority of those sub appearances

easty
15-05-2014, 01:46 PM
A mixu type player might do a job for someone in the championship maybe

Only in his dreams is he anywhere near a Mixu type player.

SteveHFC
15-05-2014, 01:48 PM
He would do a job for us in the Championship :duck:

easty
15-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Its impossible to judge him on 31 games if we don't know how many minutes he actually played in those 31 games...McInnes brought in Zola and McGinn was already the top man at the club so his appearances were always going to be limited, Rooney was signed in January when Zola failed but I think Vernon did alright, I'll be amazed if he got more than 20 minutes in the majority of those sub appearances

I'll digress, I had a look at his stats only after saying he was tatties. My opinion on him is based on what I've seen of him, when he's been tatties.

And if its impossible to judge him if we dont know how many minutes he actually played.....then how can you judge him as having "did alright"? :wink:

dmc1875
15-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I'll digress, I had a look at his stats only after saying he was tatties. My opinion on him is based on what I've seen of him, when he's been tatties.

And if its impossible to judge him if we dont know how many minutes he actually played.....then how can you judge him as having "did alright"? :wink:

He scored a cracker against us at ER this season...

Albanian Hibs
15-05-2014, 01:53 PM
No thanks

easty
15-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Rory Fallon scored an even better goal for them against us in the Scottish cup semi a couple of years ago, but he was ***** tae.

leggeto
15-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Only in his dreams is he anywhere near a Mixu type player.

He is a mixu type, just not as good

Juice-Terry
15-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd take him. I think he's quite decent actually. :duck: Would depend on wage demands though.

nribs
15-05-2014, 03:00 PM
If this was to be the quality of player we were looking at id be worried. Aberdeen have released him for a reason.... He's gash.

confused
15-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Not much better than we have , and there lies the problem , TOO many average players .

snooky
15-05-2014, 04:14 PM
No more sunset riders or hand-me-downs, thank you.
Hungry young blood required.

Nutmegged
15-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Again, I've never said we should go for him, what I will say though is he's averaged a goal every 3 starts for the Dons which is pretty decent considering for 3 of his 4 years at the club, Aberdeen were honking.

I don't see much of him other than Hibs games and the odd live game they were on TV but anytime I've saw him he seems to "do alright" hence why I formed my opinion on him.

He seems to be one of those players who always looks like scoring against Hibs, I think he's scored about 5/6 goals against us and I have seen him in Live games scoring against Rangers and hatricks this season against Falkirk and Dundee Utd... I can only form an opinion on what I see, I don't look at his stats on a website and think yay or nah...if you've saw him in various other games then I'll bow to your knowledge on the boy tho'

Calum68
15-05-2014, 04:43 PM
So not good enough for Aberdeen but good enough for us? We should aim higher..

Pray4Marc
15-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Please no.

ekhibee
15-05-2014, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Nutmegged;4013506]Again, I've never said we should go for him, what I will say though is he's averaged a goal every 3 starts for the Dons which is pretty decent considering for 3 of his 4 years at the club, Aberdeen were honking.

I don't see much of him other than Hibs games and the odd live game they were on TV but anytime I've saw him he seems to "do alright" hence why I formed my opinion on him.

He seems to be one of those players who always looks like scoring against Hibs, I think he's scored about 5/6 goals against us and I have seen him in Live games scoring against Rangers and hatricks this season against Falkirk and Dundee Utd... I can only form an opinion on what I see, I don't look at his stats on a website and think yay or nah...if you've saw him in various other games then I'll bow to your knowledge on the boy tho'[/Q

Nutmegged, you obviously have a similar policy to me as far as watching other teams is concerned. I never really know how good or bad Hearts are because I refuse to watch them at any time. For all I know they've had some cracking players, played scintillating football and scored lots of goals, I just don't know, because the only time I see them is when we play them. Unfortunately though I have to agree with other posts on this topic, Vernon is most definitely pish-except when he plays us.

Northernhibee
15-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Knows where the goal is and would take him to Hibs in a heartbeat. A confidence player though and the fans would get on his back which may put Butcher off him.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-05-2014, 06:20 PM
He'd be absolutely hum dinging for us

emerald green
15-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Not very difficult.

snooky
15-05-2014, 07:01 PM
He'd be absolutely hum dinging for us
Minus the 'hud' maybe.

harvthehibee
15-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Always liked him at Aberdeen, strong striker proven to score a fair number of goals at this level. We aren't in a position to be choosy at the minute, I'd welcome a deal until Jan, that way he could prove his fitness and play. Wouldn't be surprised if we were interested!

noz
15-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I always find it weird when posters think players are not good enough for hibs. 2 spring to mind, Higdon and Boyd - both went on to have really good seasons. We need to get a reality check sometimes!

Nutmegged
15-05-2014, 07:54 PM
I always find it weird when posters think players are not good enough for hibs. 2 spring to mind, Higdon and Boyd - both went on to have really good seasons. We need to get a reality check sometimes!

John Sutton too, I recall having a few conversations with guys last year who didn't think he could do a job for Hibs, to be fair he'd probably struggle to score goals for us with the way we play but theres no doubt he'd score goals if given the opportunity

Crazyhorse
15-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I'd take him. I think he's quite decent actually. :duck: Would depend on wage demands though.

If he wants a farthing a year more than Petrie .. er I mean the new CEO.. is prepared to pay he can get lost.

He may be a good for us if we get relegated. If we stay up I don't think he is good enough... However Terry isn't good enough ... Petrie isn't good enough ... etc

ian cruise
15-05-2014, 08:51 PM

At that point those players had both had pretty successful seasons elsewhere. I'm not saying Vernon would or wouldn't be a good signing, I've not seen enough of him play however I don't think he can be compared to higdon, Boyd or Sutton.

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Not much better than we have , and there lies the problem , TOO many average players .

Is he that bad?

Nutmegged
15-05-2014, 09:18 PM
At that point those players had both had pretty successful seasons elsewhere. I'm not saying Vernon would or wouldn't be a good signing, I've not seen enough of him play however I don't think he can be compared to higdon, Boyd or Sutton.

This time last year Sutton was no hreat shake, thats where my reference came from

confused
16-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Is he that bad?

Yes

DH1875
16-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I actually don't think he's that bad as a player but really hope our targerts are of slightly better quality. He'll do a job for championship/bottom 6 but I want more/better.

Nutmegged
16-05-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't know why but I can see him signing for Dundee.

Not heard a rumour, don't know any taxi drivers, his agent hasn't been revealing some confidential info on Twitter, just a sneaky feeling I've got

nribs
16-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Weird to think Vernon isn't good enough for Hibs? Weird to think we shouldn't be doing better? I'm seriously in need of a reality check then. Unless I have misread this and if so apologies.

Argylehibby
16-05-2014, 04:16 PM

take away goals scored against us and it is!

stoneyburn hibs
16-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Please naw, We are pish but he isnae the answer to make us any better. Would be very disappointed if we didnae have better targets.

RIP Bestie
16-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I think you are right about fans needing to get a reality check. I'm not sure what some people are expecting in terms of signings but I thnk some are going to be very disappointed. Vernon would be a very good addition in my opinion and just the type of player who may bring the best out of Collins in a two up front system.

Mr White
16-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't want vernon next season as I'd hope we can do better but I wish we'd had him this season.

Northernhibee
17-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I'd love a player who can score hat tricks. In his last game for Aberdeen he scored as many league goals as Handling, Cummings, Cairney, Watmore, Haynes, Harris, Zoubir, Tudor Jones and Thomson have combined for the whole season.

Not good enough for Hibs right enough.

Fergus52
17-05-2014, 01:27 PM
I'd love a player who can score hat tricks. In his last game for Aberdeen he scored as many league goals as Handling, Cummings, Cairney, Watmore, Haynes, Harris, Zoubir, Tudor Jones and Thomson have combined for the whole season.

Not good enough for Hibs right enough.

most hat-tricks are down to the team as a whole as much as the player.

With our current squad/set-up Vernon would look no better than Collins.

RIP Bestie
17-05-2014, 01:42 PM
most hat-tricks are down to the team as a whole as much as the player.

With our current squad/set-up Vernon would look no better than Collins.
Thats a bit of a contradiction. If Collins had a partner like Vernon I'm sure we would see the best of him

DH1875
17-05-2014, 03:59 PM
I think you are right about fans needing to get a reality check. I'm not sure what some people are expecting in terms of signings but I thnk some are going to be very disappointed. Vernon would be a very good addition in my opinion and just the type of player who may bring the best out of Collins in a two up front system.

I expect to be signing a better caliber of player than the likes of ICT, Ross County, St.Mirren, St. Johnstone and Partick Thistle. I'd also expect to be on a level playing field with Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and to be competing with them when trying to sign up new players. I don't expect to be picking up their cast offs, who they dont think even merit a squad place. And to be honest, I don't think I'm expecting that much by expecting that.

RIP Bestie
17-05-2014, 07:05 PM
I expect to be signing a better caliber of player than the likes of ICT, Ross County, St.Mirren, St. Johnstone and Partick Thistle. I'd also expect to be on a level playing field with Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and to be competing with them when trying to sign up new players. I don't expect to be picking up their cast offs, who they dont think even merit a squad place. And to be honest, I don't think I'm expecting that much by expecting that.
Maybe we should be looking to get to their level first. Vernon being released as his contract is out and they probably feel they need to use his wage to strengthen elsewhere. They had already strengthened the forward line by signing Rooney. I'm sure if it wasn't about money they would keep him on. A bit like we done with Rankin and Wotherspoon and I can't see the cup finalists complaining about those cast offs.

Sir David Gray
18-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I've resurrected this thread.

Vernon has teamed up with James Collins and signed for Shrewsbury for next season.

It will be interesting to see how they both get on, given that Collins outscored Adam Rooney at Swindon in 12/13 and Rooney went on to do considerably better than Collins last season in the Premiership.

Bronson
18-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I've resurrected this thread.

Vernon has teamed up with James Collins and signed for Shrewsbury for next season.

It will be interesting to see how they both get on, given that Collins outscored Adam Rooney at Swindon in 12/13 and Rooney went on to do considerably better than Collins last season in the Premiership.

They're heading straight for the Conference at this rate:faf:

HH81
18-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Shrewsbury will win league 2 next year.

RIP Bestie
18-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Said it before that I would have liked to have seen Collins and Vernon playing together for us. I will be interested to see how they get on.

Gus
19-06-2014, 12:37 PM
They're heading straight for the Conference at this rate:faf:

Conference level football is about on par what Hibs will be up against/doing this season

HH81
19-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Conference level football is about on par what Hibs will be up against/doing this season

Got to agree there Gus. You would still like to think Hibs would beat Halifax though.

Gus
19-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Got to agree there Gus. You would still like to think Hibs would beat Halifax though.

I thought Hibs would of beaten or at least given a game to some of the teams we have played over the last few seasons to no avail so I will keep an open mind on that one :wink:

The_Horde
19-06-2014, 05:09 PM
They're gonna have the slowest forward line in history.

frazeHFC
19-06-2014, 05:12 PM

Yeah but Halifax have Lee Gregory. Who do we have? :greengrin

HH81
19-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Yeah but Halifax have Lee Gregory. Who do we have? :greengrin

He has signed for Millwall in last few days mate. 250k I think it was.

DH1875
19-06-2014, 05:42 PM
I didn't want Vernon but that was back when I thought we'd still be a premier club. He'd score goals in the championship and for what its worth, so would Collins.

emerald green
19-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Donkey, just like Collins.