PDA

View Full Version : Annual Sky TV Payments To English Premier League Clubs

The Omega Man
14-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Interesting to note that the Sky TV payments made to English Premier League clubs has come out:

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/466572990562725890/photo/1

Cardiff City got the least £62m! No wonder Rangers and Celtic want to be in it.

3pm
14-05-2014, 04:23 PM
If ***** like Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke are in, you might as well let Hibs in!

easty
14-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Cardiff got more coming bottom than Man Utd did for winning it the previous season. Mental.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2014, 04:28 PM
That's what ****s me off about the EPL.

Clubs like Wigan (in the past), Cardiff, Norwich, Stoke, Swansea etc are being propped up as big clubs when they just aren't. Are any of them historically massively bigger than Celtic, Rangers (RIP), Hibs, Aberdeen or Hearts? Yet they are leaving us behind and poaching Scotlands best youngsters due to OTT TV deals.

lucky
14-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Crazy money. Shows how crap our TV is.

Michael
14-05-2014, 04:49 PM
How much TV money do we get this season?

NAE NOOKIE
14-05-2014, 04:49 PM
If the telly is nuts enough to splash that kind of money then who can blame the clubs for hoovering it up.

The real disgrace is that most of these clubs are still swimming in debt.

The even bigger disgrace is that you still have clubs like Arsenal charging £60 for a bog standard away ticket and Man City charging about £100 for a champions league match.

UEFA...... If they are serious about stopping this runaway train, should bring in a wage cap of about £70,000 per week and force clubs to pass the savings on to the fans.

Michael
14-05-2014, 04:52 PM
If the telly is nuts enough to splash that kind of money then who can blame the clubs for hoovering it up.

The even bigger disgrace is that you still have clubs like Arsenal charging £60 for a bog standard away ticket and Man City charging about £100 for a champions league match.

UEFA...... If they are serious about stopping this runaway train, should bring in a wage cap of about £70,000 per week and force clubs to pass the savings on to the fans.

That's a good point, if UEFA imposed a wage cap on all European clubs (who wish to enter European competition...i.e. all of them) then it would show that they were serious about financial fair play.

greenpaper55
14-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I think you would find that under EU laws a wage cap would be illegal if it was decided across the board by the clubs, different if a club wants to put a ceiling on the wages it pays.

14-05-2014, 05:10 PM
This is why no-one should ever try and compare the standards of Scottish and English Premiership Football. In English Prem they get more money pro-rata per game (even if not live on the tv) than we get from TV for the whole season. What do they do with it........pay their overpaid players even more money. Obscene.

iwasthere1972
14-05-2014, 05:11 PM
How much TV money do we get this season?

I might be wrong but probably not too far off. That's the share from approximately £17 million. If we had finished 7th instead of 11th we would have had another £340K, enough to pay for a couple of good players or a half dozen crap players.

1: £2,405,514 (13.39%, -£314,487)
2: £1,717,454 (9.56%, -£682,546)
3: £1,460,555 (8.13%, -£59,446)
4: £1,288,629 (7.17%, -£71,371)
5: £1,202,757 (6.7%, -£77,243)
6: £1,116,884 (6.22%, -£83,116)
7: £1,056,701 (5.88%, -£63,299)
8: £1,005,142 (5.6%, -£34,858)
9: £987,895 (5.5%, +£27,895)
10: £902,023 (5.02%, +£22,023)
11: £816,150 (4.54%, +£16,150)
12: £730,277 (4.07%, +£10,277)

Michael
14-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I think you would find that under EU laws a wage cap would be illegal if it was decided across the board by the clubs, different if a club wants to put a ceiling on the wages it pays.

Must be some kind of way around it. Not a wage cap...but a European competition for players earning under x per week?:confused:

Bristolhibby
14-05-2014, 05:53 PM
That's what ****s me off about the EPL.

Clubs like Wigan (in the past), Cardiff, Norwich, Stoke, Swansea etc are being propped up as big clubs when they just aren't. Are any of them historically massively bigger than Celtic, Rangers (RIP), Hibs, Aberdeen or Hearts? Yet they are leaving us behind and poaching Scotlands best youngsters due to OTT TV deals.

That what struck me at the Bolton friendly a few years back.

We were late and had to park in the Bolton car park and walk round. Walked past the players car park. It was full of Porches, Ferraris, Hummers, Maseratis, Range Rovers and Mercedes.

This is Bolton. A bog standard Northern mill town team.

Not a patch on the mighty Cabbage, or the OF, Aberdeen or them. And their players were swimming in cash.

Sad times, sadly nobody wants to watch our product. And who can blame them. No Thai fans of Motherwell. Haven't heard of many St. Mirren fans in Beijing, or Kilmarnock fans in Abu Daubi.

DH1875
14-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Forget celtic or rangers. Always said, give us £60 million a season and see what happens. If we scrape through the first season then we could achieve big things (I am aware that this is never gonna happen)

GreenLake
14-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Hibs are probably paying less than half that for the whole team.

GreenLake
14-05-2014, 06:10 PM
That what struck me at the Bolton friendly a few years back.

We were late and had to park in the Bolton car park and walk round. Walked past the players car park. It was full of Porches, Ferraris, Hummers, Maseratis, Range Rovers and Mercedes.

This is Bolton. A bog standard Northern mill town team.

Not a patch on the mighty Cabbage, or the OF, Aberdeen or them. And their players were swimming in cash.

Sad times, sadly nobody wants to watch our product. And who can blame them. No Thai fans of Motherwell. Haven't heard of many St. Mirren fans in Beijing, or Kilmarnock fans in Abu Daubi.

What kind of vehicles do our players drive?

Ringothedog
14-05-2014, 06:13 PM

That was our players cars:greengrin

ekhibee
14-05-2014, 06:15 PM
I've often thought that the situation as regards this money might have something to do with the arrival of Russian/Arab/American billionaires into the game. UEFA had been talking about doing things like wage caps etc for some time; corruption was rife in football and, to a certain extent still is, but in a different way. In the nineties you had situations like in Brazil, where the wealthy owners of the big clubs in Brazil would meet in a hotel and agree on the ridiculous prices they were going to sell average players to the big European team for. Teams like Inter Milan would pay huge fees for players but the quality on the pitch suffered. Football Italia was probably a programme that most people used to watch until the noticeable decline in quality of the games covered live. Around this time there was a lot of talk about how to control the ridiculous amounts of money involved in football.
Then Abramovich came along and basically took an average English team with not a particularly big support in comparison to other teams, and paid inflated prices for almost any player he wanted and gave them inflated wages too. They changed the goal posts and instead of a league totally dominated, for the most part, by Man Utd, it has now come down to who has the most money. Many of the players that play for a lot of the teams in the English Premiership are on excessive wages, but they have brought a different style of football to England which for decades before that was seen as the home of hoofball. IMO people had got sick of that style and wanted to be entertained, so they will pay the expensive prices for season tickets and pay-at-the-gate. Also IMO, Sky would never have poured the money they are currently paying into English football if they still played that old style that England had been associated in the past. The one and only thing that could change the power that the money men have in English football is this new fair play thing, and Man City are supposedly going to be fined £50 million, but realistically, even that kind of fine is a drop in the ocean to these people. As long as the billionnaires hold the reins of these clubs Sky will always be eager to show games that their teams are involved in. It's almost a kind of marriage, but a million miles away from the true definition of that word.
Football is not the only sport dictated by television and is not the only sport that's corrupt either. In horse racing, for example, Sheikh Mohammed not only owns the largest breeding operation in the world but also several racing channels. For many years a lot of the group races at the likes of Ascot and Goodwood would contain a field full of horses owned solely by different members of his family. He owns the largest remaining racing newspaper in the UK, the Racing Post, and owns substantial shares in Channel 4 which is now the only terrestrial channel that shows horse racing. IMO what is happening in football, horse racing and many other sports as regards TV coverage and the amount of money paid to cover it is not going to change in the near future, because the various organizations and associations responsible for governing the sports are terrified of losing the revenue that comes into the sport that these people bring. Long-winded it might be, but that's my opinion. I hope some people might agree with some of what I'm saying if not all of it!!

iwasthere1972
14-05-2014, 06:21 PM

Guzzlers. Weak back ends and slow at going forward. Nought to nought in 60 days. Extortionate running costs but performance is dreadful. Involved in too many car crashes lately and the manufacturers have promised to replace them with better models next year.

Eyrie
14-05-2014, 06:52 PM

That would be the case for an individual wage, but I wonder if we could adapt an idea from the NFL. Each team there has an overall salary cap which they must comply with each year. A similar approach could be taken in Europe and the cap set either at a monetary amount or preferably a percentage of the club's turnover to prevent the sort of cheating that happened in Gorgie.

There would be nothing to stop a club paying half its wage cap to just one player if it wanted, so there is no restraint of trade for any individual player. And since the move would be to ensure competitiveness and prevent a monopoly, it's difficult to see how any individual club could claim it to be illegal since they would have either the same spending power as their rivals under a flat cap or the opportunity to increase their cap by increasing their income if the cap was turnover based.

DC_Hibs
14-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Got to apologise to all the guys complaining on this thread as I am a sky subscriber so as much as I would like to complain about the state of modern football, I really can't as I'm partly responsible by funding the EPL and Championship clubs whilst my own earns F all in comparison.

You guys have principles, I salute you.

Against modern football yeah?
Totally oblivious!

Albion Hibs
14-05-2014, 07:28 PM
This really depresses me. I am not bothered if they want to give all this money to the EPL, but the fact they give us next to nothing is scandalous. Sky has made the league in England, at the same time as killing the game in Scotland. The sum of money is one thing the other is the dictation of the times and days of games, this coupled with a 10 team does not work, and I don't believe for a minute the English teams would stand for it.

I am pretty sure sky are delighted at the fact there sums of money both control and ruin the league as it creates a desire for people to buy the English product at the expense of the local team. I would love to know per head how much scottish viewers are worth against those south of the border...and then we should all cancel on the same day, that would give them something to think about!

Bristolhibby
14-05-2014, 07:42 PM

I'm talking £120k super cars.

Not saying our players won't have nice cars, but these were a different level.

Big money cars.

J

Gus
14-05-2014, 07:47 PM
This really depresses me. I am not bothered if they want to give all this money to the EPL, but the fact they give us next to nothing is scandalous. Sky has made the league in England, at the same time as killing the game in Scotland. The sum of money is one thing the other is the dictation of the times and days of games, this coupled with a 10 team does not work, and I don't believe for a minute the English teams would stand for it.

I am pretty sure sky are delighted at the fact there sums of money both control and ruin the league as it creates a desire for people to buy the English product at the expense of the local team. I would love to know per head how much scottish viewers are worth against those south of the border...and then we should all cancel on the same day, that would give them something to think about!

Did Scottish beaks and clubs tell Sky to ram it a few years ago chasing the buck?

Scottish football made their bed....

overdrive
14-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Football is not the only sport dictated by television and is not the only sport that's corrupt either. In horse racing, for example, Sheikh Mohammed not only owns the largest breeding operation in the world but also several racing channels. For many years a lot of the group races at the likes of Ascot and Goodwood would contain a field full of horses owned solely by different members of his family. He owns the largest remaining racing newspaper in the UK, the Racing Post, and owns substantial shares in Channel 4 which is now the only terrestrial channel that shows horse racing.

I don't think he does... Channel 4 doesn't have shareholders. It is a publicly (state) owned statutory corporation. I agree with what you say though.

Albion Hibs
14-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Did Scottish beaks and clubs tell Sky to ram it a few years ago chasing the buck?

Scottish football made their bed....

times change, football is a fickle business and I don't believe that we would be worse off as a club playing all homes games at 3pm on a Saturday, I also acknowledge we would not likely be better off, but sooner or later clubs are going to have to start putting a real price on the atmosphere at a game.

nellio
14-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Interesting thread. As a Cardiff fan I feel it's appropriate to comment. The money awarded is staggering but that's the demand here and abroad for live premier league football on the TV. That money should stabilise the club or years. In terms of how big a club we are it's difficult to compare. We certainly have decent attendances and are in the process of expanding out stadium. We have not won anything significant (apart from the football championship last year and the FA cup in 1927) but we have been involved more recently in high profile games such as the FA cup final, the caring cup final and the playoff final all at Wembley. We are also high profile due t having a lunatic owner who doesn't give 2 ****s about the club and its history and identity.

Because of the amount of money in the game basic running costs for the club are a lot higher but thats still no justification for the huge money paid out this year.

Kato
14-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Morally repugnant and indefensible given the state of the country. Wastrels with zero brains and limitless dough whinging and complaining whenever someone gives them the slightest tap on the shinpad. Too many clubs given access to the CL resulting in coming first in EPL Championship being completely devalued - BUT - some of the football is out of this world. I wish it was us.

leggeto
14-05-2014, 09:09 PM

I can see it all collapse,just like the housing market and all they clubs will be ****ed

basehibby
14-05-2014, 09:16 PM
I think the money being pumped into the EPL has gone utterly crazy - other posters are correct in saying it is directly responsible for killing the game in Scotland by sucking away the talent and the interest of neutrals while at the same time exacerbating the situation by reducing the pot for the SPL while ramping it up down south (England has 10 times the population of Scotland but their top flight clubs get approx 100 times the TV cash!)

I do find it utterly obscene and have always refused to buy Sky on principal. I have zero respect for the footballers in the EPL who are divorced from reality in their selfish over inflated bubbles and often vastly overrated - and I have even less respect for the owners of these clubs who despite the riches pulled in from TV, continue to treat the actual supporters who turn up like a combo between cash cows and something you'd wipe off your shoe.

I live in hope that some day the whole filthy shooting match will spontaneously implode but suspect I might have a long wait on my hands.

Billy Whizz
14-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I think the money being pumped into the EPL has gone utterly crazy - other posters are correct in saying it is directly responsible for killing the game in Scotland by sucking away the talent and the interest of neutrals while at the same time exacerbating the situation by reducing the pot for the SPL while ramping it up down south (England has 10 times the population of Scotland but their top flight clubs get approx 100 times the TV cash!)

I do find it utterly obscene and have always refused to buy Sky on principal. I have zero respect for the footballers in the EPL who are divorced from reality in their selfish over inflated bubbles and often vastly overrated - and I have even less respect for the owners of these clubs who despite the riches pulled in from TV, continue to treat the actual supporters who turn up like a combo between cash cows and something you'd wipe off your shoe.

I live in hope that some day the whole filthy shooting match will spontaneously implode but suspect I might have a long wait on my hands.

Probably will wait a while, but who envisaged the big Banks collapsing

seanshow
15-05-2014, 02:51 PM
If you don't subscribe to satellite/cable tv take a pat on the back.
Your playing a very small part in stopping one less kid in morningside walking about wearing a EPl top.

Alas we are p*ssing into the wind.....a bit like the tabloid weegia dedicating the sports pages to the same 2 clubs for the last 30 years!

yeezus.
15-05-2014, 06:33 PM
If you don't subscribe to satellite/cable tv take a pat on the back.
Your playing a very small part in stopping one less kid in morningside walking about wearing a EPl top.

Alas we are p*ssing into the wind.....a bit like the tabloid weegia dedicating the sports pages to the same 2 clubs for the last 30 years!

Apart from Sevco tops and the very rare other SPL side tops, all I see in Stranraer are United and Liverpool shirts. Does my head in!