13-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Would have though DL would have been a better choice to have kept

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Will be interesting to see how that one works out... :agree:

Nutmegged
13-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Might be all about reducing costs

He probably wont be on the money Lennon was on so a slight increase in wages from what he was on, been a good coach all his years, never saw him as a manager though.

Peevemor
13-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Crap ventriloquist.

Humo
13-05-2014, 02:40 PM
A decision they will come to regret next season. I know its too early to judge but I predict St Mirren finishing 11th or 12th next season now. You heard it here first folks :cb

Michael
13-05-2014, 03:04 PM
What!? They got rid of Danny Lennon for Tommy Craig!?

Absolute madness!

greenpaper55
13-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Crap ventriloquist.

:top marksExcellent, mind you he was no bad with thon apple in front of his mouth !.

Scònaldò
13-05-2014, 03:16 PM

Absolute madness!

Strange one, I'll be very surprised if he does any better than Danny Lennon. Same applies with Neilson replacing Locke.

Billychaotic182
13-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Madness!!!

The Sea-gull
13-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I just can't make up my mind which point between September 2014 and February 2015 inclusive he'll be sacked.

lord bunberry
13-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Get your money on st mirren to go down.

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-05-2014, 03:39 PM
What a truly gantin appointment

Keith_M
13-05-2014, 03:42 PM
The most unimaginative appointment of the year.

Speedway
13-05-2014, 03:43 PM
I'd be Buddy fuming if I was a St. Mirren fan.

zlatan
13-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Went undefeated as Hibs boss.

Spike Mandela
13-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Not to mention winning League Cup as assistant.:agree:

Thecat23
13-05-2014, 03:51 PM
My money is on him being given the bullet either first next season or won't last the season.

Very strange appointment to be honest. He's a very old school guy I don't think he will do well personally.

jdships
13-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Joy be with them
Six months at the most
:rolleyes:

allezsauzee
13-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Tommy Craig was undefeated as Hibs boss? I think you are mistaken!

Billy Whizz
13-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Tommy Craig was undefeated as Hibs boss? I think you are mistaken!

Was he not in charge at an away defeat against St Mirren. He couldn't have been Saints 1st choice, how long of a contract did they give him

allezsauzee
13-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Was he not in charge at an away defeat against St Mirren. He couldn't have been Saints 1st choice, how long of a contract did they give him

He's been caretaker twice. After John Blackley & JC left. I don't think he's won a game. If my memory serves me well, it includes a 1-3 home defeat to Hamilton Accies who finished bottom that season.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2014, 04:36 PM
He's been caretaker twice. After John Blackley & JC left. I don't think he's won a game. If my memory serves me well, it includes a 1-3 home defeat to Hamilton Accies who finished bottom that season.

I can't remember the 1st one, but I seem to remember a dismal performance at Love St, just after Collins left

Hibs Class
13-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Big surprise, very uninspiring. He may be a decent assistant, but suspect there's a very good reason he's never been top man before.

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Get your money on st mirren to go down.
Yeh, touch and go between them and Killie if Boyd goes.

jacomo
13-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Big surprise, very uninspiring. He may be a decent assistant, but suspect there's a very good reason he's never been top man before.

Not convinced he's a decent assistant.

(((Fergus)))
13-05-2014, 05:28 PM
I can't remember the 1st one, but I seem to remember a dismal performance at Love St, just after Collins left

Beat 2-1 at Rugby Park on Boxing Day IIRC

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Maybe just coincidence that Craig has been appointed shortly after Ian Murray signed a new Dumbarton contract? Even if they did want Murray, you'd think they'd take a bit more time to mull over other options over the close season, rather than appointing the assistant who helped to oversee the period they're dissatisfied with.

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Maybe just coincidence that Craig has been appointed shortly after Ian Murray signed a new Dumbarton contract? Even if they did want Murray, you'd think they'd take a bit more time to mull over other options over the close season, rather than appointing the assistant who helped to oversee the period they're dissatisfied with.
That's quite possible, Murray had been tipped for it ever since people knew Lennon was getting the flick.

PatHead
13-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Be interesting to see who his assistant will be- maybe Barry Ferguson? He may be getting groomed, in a non Hearts way, to take over long term.

Hermit Crab
13-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Get your money on st mirren to be relegated.

Ronniekirk
13-05-2014, 07:12 PM
I'd be Buddy fuming if I was a St. Mirren fan.

Most of my neighbours are buddies including my Brother in Law across the road and they are all astounded at this appointment . they thought Lennon was getting punted for not getting them into top six and expected and more high profile manager to come in This reeks of penny pinching .But as an Assistant Manager Craig has great track record of winning the league cup with Different teams. But him and bruiser Goodwin bet no one saw that coming

snooky
13-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Crap ventriloquist.

:faf: :agree:

Jonnyboy
13-05-2014, 08:29 PM
If I were a Saints fan I'd be beelin at this appointment.

bighairyfaeleith
13-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Can't wait to get them in next season's playoff now ;)

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Most of my neighbours are buddies including my Brother in Law across the road and they are all astounded at this appointment . they thought Lennon was getting punted for not getting them into top six and expected and more high profile manager to come in This reeks of penny pinching .But as an Assistant Manager Craig has great track record of winning the league cup with Different teams. But him and bruiser Goodwin bet no one saw that coming
It's a strange one right enough.His managerial period at Hibs was far from memorable, I seem to remember us getting beat off Killie when he was stand-in. Whatever their board might say, it looks like the cheap option to a lot of people. I'm a bit surprised that Thomson hasn't been considered too, in a player/manager role.

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 08:45 PM
It's a strange one right enough.His managerial period at Hibs was far from memorable, I seem to remember us getting beat off Killie when he was stand-in. Whatever their board might say, it looks like the cheap option to a lot of people. I'm a bit surprised that Thomson hasn't been considered too, in a player/manager role.

Didn't realise he'd played for us as well, and managed us twice -

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager.php?id=163

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6300

Played/managed 19, 6 draws and 13 losses!

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Didn't realise he'd played for us as well, and managed us twice -

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager.php?id=163

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6300

Played/managed 19, 6 draws and 13 losses!
Thanks for that portycabbage, I had no idea it was as bad as that! Originally I was thinking Killie would be favourites for the drop next season cos they'll probably lose Boyd in the close season and Johnston's a **** SPFL manager, but I'll need to check the odds for St Midden now.

Nutmegged
13-05-2014, 08:56 PM
St Mirren must be of the opinion that Danny's wage is of more value to the club than Danny himself.

I'd imagine Craig will get a small wage rise, say £15-20k per year, if Lennon was on £100-120k per year then thats a hefty saving, if they go down though it'll hardly be worth it.

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for that portycabbage, I had no idea it was as bad as that! Originally I was thinking Killie would be favourites for the drop next season cos they'll probably lose Boyd in the close season and Johnston's a **** SPFL manager, but I'll need to check the odds for St Midden now.

Not sure if it's much of a form guide given it was the mid 80's he was playing his 11 games, and half of the 8 games he managed were back then as well! That website's good for Hibs stuff though.

(((Fergus)))
13-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Can't wait to get them in next season's playoff now ;)

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

Except Hibs won't make the play-offs next season. Too much competition. It does improve the chances for the season after though. ;o)

Bostonhibby
13-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Apparently influential in us signing Alan O'Brien - I rest my case.

I just hope there are plenty more AO'B's waiting to be discovered for St Mirren :greengrin

Shields Hibee
13-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I work with one of their fans who's got a ST for him & his 2 laddies, he's not impressed at all at the appointment.

He saw no wrong with Lennon & would've been happy for him to stay or go for someone with SPL experience.

Be be surprised if Craig is still in charge come November.

Saorsa
13-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Tommy Craig :faf: Would have been better sticking with Lennon.

heretoday
13-05-2014, 11:06 PM
An extraordinary appointment! They didn't cast their net very wide! Craig must have done some fancy footwork to get the job. Lennon must be bemused.

Ronniekirk
14-05-2014, 07:00 AM
An extraordinary appointment! They didn't cast their net very wide! Craig must have done some fancy footwork to get the job. Lennon must be bemused.
Lennon will feel like he has been stabbed in the back but the person he has probably confided in .As for Goodwin Lennon has stuck by him when many other Managers might have punted him given his thuggish behaviour and sending offs .What kind of message does that send to the young footballers at the club that he has been promoted .i could see some of thier promising youngsters moving on quicker than they might otherwise

Onion
14-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Lennon did a good job. Fully expect St Mirren to go into a tail spin back to the lower leagues. Crazy decision.

lucky
14-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Shows we are not the only ones who have a board that is clueless about football

Gettin' Auld
14-05-2014, 07:54 AM
A truly baffling decision from a board that must have unrealistic expectations. He kept them in the league and they won a cup........What more can a team like St Mirren expect to achieve? Whatever it is, there's nae chance of Tommy Craig doing better than Lennon did.

Paisley Hibby
14-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Absolute madness!

This.

One Day
14-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Will be interesting to see how that one works out... :agree:

Cant see it working out well for St Mirren

JimBHibees
14-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Lennon will feel like he has been stabbed in the back but the person he has probably confided in .As for Goodwin Lennon has stuck by him when many other Managers might have punted him given his thuggish behaviour and sending offs .What kind of message does that send to the young footballers at the club that he has been promoted .i could see some of thier promising youngsters moving on quicker than they might otherwise

Totally agree with that, smacks of alot of back stabbing going on moaning about Lennon of course with Craig having no say or impact on any of that at all. Craig seemed delighted on the tv which is fair enough to an extent however a wee bit of thought for the guy who brought you to the club and has just been sacked would have been nice.

--------
14-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Totally agree with that, smacks of alot of back stabbing going on moaning about Lennon of course with Craig having no say or impact on any of that at all. Craig seemed delighted on the tv which is fair enough to an extent however a wee bit of thought for the guy who brought you to the club and has just been sacked would have been nice.

This one does indeed stink of back-stabbing, Jim. I wouldn't put my money on Craig not doing a job on Collins as well - I've always wondered what on earth that press-conference with the apple was all about. Was JC aware of what Craig was getting up to behind his back then? And did assistant manger Craig have any 'input' to the players revolt?

I wouldn't trust the nasty wee nyaff as far as I could throw him, and I wish Saints well of their new appointment.

ekhibee
14-05-2014, 09:41 AM
This one does indeed stink of back-stabbing, Jim. I wouldn't put my money on Craig not doing a job on Collins as well - I've always wondered what on earth that press-conference with the apple was all about. Was JC aware of what Craig was getting up to behind his back then? And did assistant manger Craig have any 'input' to the players revolt?

I wouldn't trust the nasty wee nyaff as far as I could throw him, and I wish Saints well of their new appointment.
I'd almost forgotten about that apple thing, and like you I wondered what it was really all about. Crap decision by their board, they won't have the resources to come back up straight away when they're relegated at the end of next season.

JimBHibees
14-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Yep agree what you say the Collins thing didnt seem to mention Craig at all which is a little strange especially given that he was the experienced guy supporting the rookie boss.

Nutmegged
14-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Stuart Gilmour's reasoning is quite interesting, similar train of thought to my own conclussion on this matter.

Gilmour said "we're not trying to reinvent the wheel" and all they're looking for is a few "tweaks"....

I said yesterday that they might feel Craig can do a similar job to Lennon, it might be Lennon's signings that have killed him...if St Mirren can finish 8th with bad signings they might be entitled to believe they can challenge for the top 6 with a manager who can spot a player.

Gilmour is probably looking at Motherwell, ICT & St Johnstone and thinking "if they can consistently challenge for Europe then why can't we"

I don't think its the right move but if the players are happy with it and their is very little difference in training/tactics then I guess saving around £100,000 in the process could be a bonus.

Peevemor
14-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Gack-stagging gastard!

In my 30 odd yers following Hibs, that press conference is probably the most bizarre thing I've witnessed from anyobe connected with the club.

portycabbage
14-05-2014, 11:07 AM

I have to say I can't remember the apple press conference, was TC eating one? Did it come from the tree of knowledge or something?

Brunswickbill
14-05-2014, 11:16 AM
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/1.71020

DH1875
14-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Lol

Saorsa
14-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Stuart Gilmour's reasoning is quite interesting, similar train of thought to my own conclussion on this matter.

Gilmour said "we're not trying to reinvent the wheel" and all they're looking for is a few "tweaks"....

I said yesterday that they might feel Craig can do a similar job to Lennon, it might be Lennon's signings that have killed him...if St Mirren can finish 8th with bad signings they might be entitled to believe they can challenge for the top 6 with a manager who can spot a player.

Gilmour is probably looking at Motherwell, ICT & St Johnstone and thinking "if they can consistently challenge for Europe then why can't we"

I don't think its the right move but if the players are happy with it and their is very little difference in training/tactics then I guess saving around £100,000 in the process could be a bonus.why did they pick him then?

Fergus52
14-05-2014, 03:45 PM

I remember the love street game, we were woeful.

Donaldson was up front on his own and was getting quite a bit of stick.

Iggy Pope
14-05-2014, 05:18 PM
I remember the love street game, we were woeful.

Donaldson was up front on his own and was getting quite a bit of stick.

Rob Jones fell out with the fans.

portycabbage
14-05-2014, 07:16 PM
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/1.71020

Cheers for that. Not sure I'd want someone to whisper in my ear whilst eating an apple, that could get quite irritating!

Jonnyboy
14-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Gack-stagging gastard!

In my 30 odd yers following Hibs, that press conference is probably the most bizarre thing I've witnessed from anyobe connected with the club.

:faf: :top marks

Interestingly, Lennon said in his after match interview on Saturday that the board wanted young players brought through rather than spending money on transfers. Lennon rightly pointed out that five of his normal starting eleven came through the ranks. Today we hear that Tommy Craig is looking to sign up to eight new players! Go figure :greengrin

ekhibee
14-05-2014, 09:24 PM
The more I hear of him the more I'm getting the impression of a devious man. Surprised Levine hasn't brought him in as 'assistant head coach' to Neilson.

Ronniekirk
15-05-2014, 08:06 AM
:faf: :top marks

Interestingly, Lennon said in his after match interview on Saturday that the board wanted young players brought through rather than spending money on transfers. Lennon rightly pointed out that five of his normal starting eleven came through the ranks. Today we hear that Tommy Craig is looking to sign up to eight new players! Go figure :greengrin

That was only part of what he was asked to do the bit he missed out was he was expected to get them into top six and I four years he hasn't managed that whether he would of next season we will never know but board didn't think he could deliver it .Whether new incumbents can we will just have to wait and see

maturehibby
16-05-2014, 09:18 AM
not got it and will be out of the job within a year