PDA

View Full Version : Will we wont we?

Waxy
13-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Stay up? It's the big question now.Do you think we'll win the playoffs or not? Losing is unthinkable and it'd be disaster. I think we'll do enough to stay up but only just. Dont think i could hack watching a penalty shoot out so get it done Hibs.

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 11:13 AM
I think we will just scrape survival. Wont be pleasent and sure wont be pretty but I think we will. Just :agree:

roryg
13-05-2014, 11:18 AM
To escape we must score at least one goal against a team full of confidence. Where's it going to come from. I've already renewed my season ticket but , fear the worst. New managers every year is not the answer..

Spike Mandela
13-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Sorry, i think Falkirk and Hamilton are as good or better teams than us just now and have individual players in their teams that I would take in the Hibs team. Not sure they would want many of ours except the young lads with potential.

For me we are going to need a huge dollop of luck and Ben Williams to have the best two games of his career.

Keith_M
13-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Can't score and can't defend......

Craig_in_Prague
13-05-2014, 11:40 AM
The winner of Hamilton and Falkirk games will see them in the Premiership. Sadly.

Smartie
13-05-2014, 11:43 AM
It's mental to say this for such a big game but I can see luck playing a big part.

We need to get something from somewhere early in the first game. A penalty, an iffy decision, the ball hitting off Collins' arse and going in, I don't know, we just need something to give us that bit of hope. The flip side of that is that if any of these things go against us then we'll be beaten already. I also agree that if Williams plays like we know he can then that could be demoralising for them. He is key to this fixture.

Back to Easter Road with a fighting chance and get the crowd right behind the team. Take it from there.

Ok they'll have had a good season. But they're younger teams playing at a lower level. Our players have to believe in themselves to be able to deal with this.

Mental toughness is what this is all about.

Michael
13-05-2014, 11:48 AM
As someone said in another thread, our best chance of getting through is on away goals. We could draw 1-1 away and 0-0 at home. I can't see us winning the tie outright though.

truehibernian
13-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Not a chance - Hamilton I think will beat Falkirk with a bit to spare and they will most certainly score home and away against us.

It's a sad sad fact - we create little clear cut chances because Pat and now Terry did not sign creativity in the middle and a genuine striker or two. That and Nelson and McGivern being worth a goal start to the opposition makes it, as JB says, recipe for disaster.

Spoke with a guy yesterday who is close to Falkik and their youth set up - they can't wait to play Hibs (if they win v Hamilton) - they are certain they would beat them with pace and a little bit of creation through the wide areas. Scotland and MAC up against Nelson and the man who cannot jump (Ryan McG).....deary me, no contest.

Geo_1875
13-05-2014, 11:51 AM
As someone said in another thread, our best chance of getting through is on away goals. We could draw 1-1 away and 0-0 at home. I can't see us winning the tie outright though.

Not sure away goals count in the play-offs.

Anyway, they'll be as nervous as us with a lot to lose. We need to get straight in about them from the start and hopefully get a break early on. We also need Craig Thomson to be nowhere near either game.

Gordy M
13-05-2014, 11:54 AM
I think if, big if, we can score first then the confidence will come from that. I think if we do then we will win. Hamilton and falkirk werent good enough to finish top. Also spoke to a falkirk fan who isnt confident of beting either hamilton or hibs!

flash
13-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Not a chance - Hamilton I think will beat Falkirk with a bit to spare and they will most certainly score home and away against us.

It's a sad sad fact - we create little clear cut chances because Pat and now Terry did not sign creativity in the middle and a genuine striker or two. That and Nelson and McGivern being worth a goal start to the opposition makes it, as JB says, recipe for disaster.

Spoke with a guy yesterday who is close to Falkik and their youth set up - they can't wait to play Hibs (if they win v Hamilton) - they are certain they would beat them with pace and a little bit of creation through the wide areas. Scotland and MAC up against Nelson and the man who cannot jump (Ryan McG).....deary me, no contest.

i take it "not a chance" was said tongue in cheek.

yeezus.
13-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Obviously I hope to be proved wrong but I really can't see us beating either Falkirk or Hamilton... I'm not looking forward to this one bit.

Franck Stanton
13-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I think we will just scrape survival. Wont be pleasent and sure wont be pretty but I think we will. Just :agree:

This.

AinsterHibs
13-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I for one, don't think we will - without a huge slice of luck, something that and the team scoring we seem to be bereft of.

Just hope that it's over quick.

Won't stop me supporting Hibs and being depressed if / when we lose though.

ALF TUPPER
13-05-2014, 12:13 PM

:agree: Yeah. This is how I see it.

erin go bragh
13-05-2014, 12:19 PM
A poor Dundee managed to win promotion .imo.
If we cant beat Hamilton/Fallirk over two ties we deserve to go down . Our luck in front of goal has been horrendous .
A big noisy traveling support in the away tie will spur the team on to a vital win . Then we will play with some much needed confidence at the Leith San Siro and secure our saftey .

Ggtth

Bristolhibby
13-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I've blindly said we will stay up with out a shred of evidence.

However I said we would beat hearts in the CF.
Left at HT v Falkirk in the semi.
Thought we would beat Ross County & Kilmarnock.

So I am a bi-polar pridictor, who is usually wrong.

I have optimism at the moment. Ask me on the 22nd after the first leg. Hopefully I will have the same outlook.

Coming up on the 25th regardless.

J

Pretty Boy
13-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Going to be very tough and nervy.

I think some people are overplaying how good Falkirk and Hamilton are though. In the League Cup Hamilton and Falkirk were well beaten 3-0 and 5-0 by Premiership teams. Better Premiership teams than us granted but they are both hammerings.

We need to find a way to score, going 2 up front again is key imo.

Kaiser_Sauzee
13-05-2014, 12:29 PM
We will win comfortably over the two legs.

Steve20
13-05-2014, 12:42 PM
We are down. Can't score and can't defend.

Keith_M
13-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Who?

Go back and find this 'someone' and tell them from me that they're an idiot. There is no 'away goals' rule in the Play Offs.

heretoday
13-05-2014, 01:13 PM
We will go down I think. Oh well. the championship should be more fun than the boring old SPL.

Remember last time we got relegated? Big crowds and goals galore.

Unseen work
13-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Every game as far as I can remember iv been confident of a hibs win.

Now however...I just have no confidence or faith in them to get a result. Only thing I can see is Liam Craig scoring

--------
13-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Stay up? It's the big question now.Do you think we'll win the playoffs or not? Losing is unthinkable and it'd be disaster. I think we'll do enough to stay up but only just. Dont think i could hack watching a penalty shoot out so get it done Hibs.

I really don't think we will. :bitchy:

truehibernian
13-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Every game as far as I can remember iv been confident of a hibs win.

Now however...I just have no confidence or faith in them to get a result. Only thing I can see is Liam Craig scoring

Scoring for who though ? Won't be us !

GreenLake
13-05-2014, 01:21 PM
My optimism has failed repeatedly so I am going to predict a loss for us in both ties, England are going to win the world cup and I am not going to win the lottery.

Bronson
13-05-2014, 01:23 PM
We'll do the business in the play-offs, hopefully a good travelling support to the away leg.

Pat 0-7
13-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Yes. Based on the chances we've created in the last two games I'm confident (in a still-bricking-it sort of way) that we'll score 2 or 3 goals and scrape through over the two legs.

It's Falkirk or Hamilton FFS, not Barcelona!!!

:worried:

Onceinawhile
13-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Going down imo. Just hope we put up a fight unlike in most of the last 20 games.

Pete
13-05-2014, 02:11 PM
We'll rock the football world by taking the lead with a goal.

It won't be easy but we'll stay up.

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 02:12 PM
away goals :faf: :faf:

Billy Whizz
13-05-2014, 02:15 PM
away goals :faf: :faf:

Goals

Heedersnvolleys
13-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Our luck in front of goal has been horrendous .

Ggtth

If we had been unlucky in front of goal I would be more optimistic but we have just been horrendous full stop. That's why I have my doubts. We play the kind of hoofball that these 2 teams will face each week from teams in the championship so I think they will handle what we throw at them no problem. We need to try something different, jeez maybe play a bit of football for once might be the answer but I think TB & MM will be too stubborn to change!

Hibernia&Alba
13-05-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm trying not to think about it yet. Truth is I'm dreading it and now fear the worst. If the team can find some bottle and are prepared to go toe to toe with the opposition, we'll have a chance. Time will tell.

Diclonius
14-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Don't away goals not count double in the playoffs?

Mixu62
14-05-2014, 12:26 AM
If we had been unlucky in front of goal I would be more optimistic but we have just been horrendous full stop. That's why I have my doubts. We play the kind of hoofball that these 2 teams will face each week from teams in the championship so I think they will handle what we throw at them no problem. We need to try something different, jeez maybe play a bit of football for once might be the answer but I think TB & MM will be too stubborn to change!

This! We seem to have exhausted the "break down the door" approach, when what we really need is to pick the lock. That means keeping posession in the attacking third and movement from the front TWO (yes, I said front 2!) with through balls threaded through to them to run onto. However I don't see TB changing tack for these 2 games so for that reason I think we'll lose both ties 2-0.

Cauld Bovril
14-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Don't away goals not count double in the playoffs?

They don't.
I can see it being two draws and me running out of valium before the end of the penalties:worried:

DTS
14-05-2014, 01:14 AM
We will stay up I'm fully confident that we will, although if we do lose to a championship side over two legs then we completely deserve to be in that league next year

PeeJay
14-05-2014, 06:52 AM
The mindset at the club has to be that we will do it, not that we can do it - We will stay up! Despite all the setbacks we've had as a club recently, I believe we can do it - over the two legs. Make no mistake though, our opponents (Falkirk or Hamilton) will treat this like a cup tie, with all the big team, wee team cliches involved: they'll be up for it, right from the word go. So we need to stamp some level of authority on the game right from the start and stop them performing or running at us, we have to dampen their spirits and confidence, we have to stop them scoring first, in either game

- Butcher has to show that he can set the team up to do the job required, the team has to show that it can deliver on the night ... also think the fans can play a major part too at home and away in encouraging the team ....

heretoday
14-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Looking into my crystal ball I can just make out some men taking penalties. I hope TB is at least getting the guys to practise pens?

Jim44
14-05-2014, 07:29 AM
It's difficult to see where the necessary confidence is going to come from. Decent results are the only thing which can create confidence and for us they are distant memories. Morale is rock bottom and the thought of depending on an empty vessel to bolster more confidence fills me wih dread.

Yuillsy
14-05-2014, 07:58 AM
When we played Airdrie in the play off did anyone give us a chance of winning? I can't really remember the build up to the games but obviously after a close 1st game we were pretty comfortable in the 2nd game. In a 1 off game anything can happen but I'm just hoping over 2 legs we'll be too strong for whoever we play.

Captain Trips
14-05-2014, 08:13 AM
As things are now I believe we will be relegated. I will be at match though giving 100% support.

southsider
14-05-2014, 08:28 AM
The mindset at the club has to be that we will do it, not that we can do it - We will stay up! Despite all the setbacks we've had as a club recently, I believe we can do it - over the two legs. Make no mistake though, our opponents (Falkirk or Hamilton) will treat this like a cup tie, with all the big team, wee team cliches involved: they'll be up for it, right from the word go. So we need to stamp some level of authority on the game right from the start and stop them performing or running at us, we have to dampen their spirits and confidence, we have to stop them scoring first, in either game

- Butcher has to show that he can set the team up to do the job required, the team has to show that it can deliver on the night ... also think the fans can play a major part too at home and away in encouraging the team ....
We started with great endeavour and commitement against Killie but when a goal did not come in the first 20-30 mins then the players heads began to drop and when we defended so poorly to let Boyd score the players and fans alike know there was no way back. We must score the first goal in the play-offs and we shall see confidence return.

erin go bragh
14-05-2014, 08:31 AM
I've blindly said we will stay up with out a shred of evidence.

However I said we would beat hearts in the CF.
Left at HT v Falkirk in the semi.
Thought we would beat Ross County & Kilmarnock.

So I am a bi-polar pridictor, who is usually wrong.

I have optimism at the moment. Ask me on the 22nd after the first leg. Hopefully I will have the same outlook.

Coming up on the 25th regardless.

J
At ht against Falkirk when losing 3-0 i told my son we would score 4 goals in the second half . Its hard to believe the horrendous run we have been on and before sat game with Killie i didnt fancy our chances in the play off if we didnt beat Killie . But and its s big but , i think we will surprise eveyone with a briiliant performance , scoring freely which in turn will secure out place in the top league . Cmon Hibs , prove me right .

Ggtth

Peevemor
14-05-2014, 08:32 AM
When we played Airdrie in the play off did anyone give us a chance of winning? I can't really remember the build up to the games but obviously after a close 1st game we were pretty comfortable in the 2nd game. In a 1 off game anything can happen but I'm just hoping over 2 legs we'll be too strong for whoever we play.

In the final 6 games of that season, we won 2 (against Dundee Utd. & Aberdeen), drew 3 and lost 1 (to Celtc), scoring in every match (Jackson & Wright up front), so there was room for optimism. However Scairdrie were very much a bogie team for Hibs so nobody was too confident.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_season.php?from=16&competition=0&update=Update

Yuillsy
14-05-2014, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=Peevemor;4012453]In the final 6 games of that season, we won 2 (against Dundee Utd. & Aberdeen), drew 3 and lost 1 (to Celtc), scoring in every match (Jackson & Wright up front), so there was room for optimism. However Scairdrie were very much a bogie team for Hibs so nobody was too confident.

Cheers mate. I remember feeling quite confident at the time. It could've been different had Airdrie scored the penalty they got when they were 1 up in the 2nd leg. What I clearly remember is how good the Hibs support was at both legs. More of the same this time and I'm sure we can do it.

GlenrothesHibee
14-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Like I said before the Killie game. Sadly we will lose. Probably lose both legs. We cant score and are horrendous at the back. We will be in the championship next season.

GlenrothesHibee
14-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Like I said before the Killie game. Sadly we will lose. Probably lose both legs. We cant score and are horrendous at the back. We will be in the championship next season.

jacomo
14-05-2014, 10:11 AM
This! We seem to have exhausted the "break down the door" approach, when what we really need is to pick the lock. That means keeping posession in the attacking third and movement from the front TWO (yes, I said front 2!) with through balls threaded through to them to run onto. However I don't see TB changing tack for these 2 games so for that reason I think we'll lose both ties 2-0.

The problem with this approach is it requires a settled side who have the confidence to keep possession and pass the ball. We are not that.

FranckSuzy
14-05-2014, 10:12 AM

:tub4: :tee hee:

erin go bragh
14-05-2014, 10:14 AM

We won the home leg 1-0 . We were losing 1-0 in the away leg when Airdrie missed a pen . We did win the tie 5-2 .but when they had that pen it was anything but comfortable . We took a great crowd to the away tie , felt more like a home game for us . Crowd stayed right behind the team even when we were 1 down .

Ggtth

silverhibee
14-05-2014, 10:18 AM

I have seen both teams play in the last few months mate and both are decent sides, if i was to choose who i wanted to play in the play-off then i would go for Falkirk, don't think they are is experienced as Hamilton and the Accies are good at finding the net, he may not be the quickest but Jason Scotland would be a handful for our defence.

Sadly i think this club is still to hit rock bottom under Petrie and that will come in a couple of weeks time when we are relegated to the Championship.

Keith_M
14-05-2014, 10:25 AM

Yes, we were favourites.

In our last six league games of that season, we had something of a minor revival. We won 2, drew 3 and lost 1 and scored 9 goals.

In our last six league games of this season, we've won 0, drew 1 and lost 5 and scored 2 goals.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed peevemore already posted that. Oh well, twice for emphasis :)

silverhibee
14-05-2014, 10:36 AM
They don't.
I can see it being two draws and me running out of valium before the end of the penalties:worried:

Is there a spare seat next to you so we can share them.

FranckSuzy
14-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Is there a spare seat next to you so we can share them.

:tee hee:

AL-Qaholik
14-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Who?

Go back and find this 'someone' and tell them from me that they're an idiot. There is no 'away goals' rule in the Play Offs.

It was me. And I specifically said "although I don't think the away goals rule counts in the playoffs".

So shove yer idiot p!$h!

Pretty Boy
14-05-2014, 11:07 AM
We won the home leg 1-0 . We were losing 1-0 in the away leg when Airdrie missed a pen . We did win the tie 5-2 .but when they had that pen it was anything but comfortable . We took a great crowd to the away tie , felt more like a home game for us . Crowd stayed right behind the team even when we were 1 down .

Ggtth

Do I rememver right when I say Jim Leighton took a bad head knock just before that penalty and was a bit groggy?

If you were an Airdrie fan (God forbid) surely you would be raging that the guy never even hit the target.

Tom Hart RIP
14-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Ggtth
The second leg was one of my favourite Hibs games. The relief was enormous especially after losing the early goal and conceding a penalty. Darren Jackson was magnificent. His best performance in a Hibs strip. Hope we can repeat it.
GGTTH

Tom Hart RIP
14-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Ps if I remember correctly the Airdrie end was half empty in broadwood.

Yuillsy
14-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Do I rememver right when I say Jim Leighton took a bad head knock just before that penalty and was a bit groggy?

If you were an Airdrie fan (God forbid) surely you would be raging that the guy never even hit the target.

The guy who missed the penalty, was it not the same guy who scored the OG in the 1st leg?

Yuillsy
14-05-2014, 11:21 AM
The guy who missed the penalty, was it not the same guy who scored the OG in the 1st leg?

Just found it myself. Stevie Cooper, sadly passed away in 2004 in his sleep after unknowingly cracking his skull in a fall.

Mango Man
14-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Whatever is the worst scenario for us will probably be what happens, scrape the first leg and then hammered on the 2nd leg, or penalties.

NOLA
15-05-2014, 01:35 AM
we dont do clean sheets and we cant score 1 let alone 2, i feel its the championship for us, the worst team in the league deserves to be relegated.:rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
15-05-2014, 02:00 AM
we dont do clean sheets and we cant score 1 let alone 2, i feel its the championship for us, the worst team in the league deserves to be relegated.:rolleyes:

I agree. We're lucky to get the opportunity here.

An undeserved win would be nice though.

SanFranHibs
15-05-2014, 05:41 AM
and all we can do is moan about it! :wink:

With Hibs so bereft of ideas and confidence against a team on a high it seems there can only be one outcome...relegation.

However, we are a Premier team (Possibly in name only) over 2 legs against a lower division team who did not even win their division. I mean, come on...be fair......when is the last time we lost to a lower division team in a cup....oops ! And though Hamilton recently scored 10 in one game when is the last time we had 10 scored against us or even 7...oops.

Seriously, as bad as we have been this year, especially since Fenlon left :duck:, the fact remains...it is still in our hands and I will not give up whilst it is still in our hands.

That said, if we go away in the first leg and play one up front looking for an 0 - 0 draw I will be pissed. We need to get out there and run them into the ground. (Hopefully keeping the ball as far away from out defence as possible). We started off that way against Killie but after a great save by their keeper, a clearance of their line I think Hibs heads dropped.

This is where Butcher needs to prove he has some man management skills. Perhaps it is too late for him and Malpas to worry about football management for these games but they need to man manage. (Maybe show the team video of Hearts fans last weekend celebrating Killies goals or replaying audio of media clips saying how rank we are). Our players may not be particualry good but please don't tell me they can't get stuck in for 2 games, 2 games that have huge repercussions for Hibs and for the players individually. We only need the team that came out for the second half of the Motherwell game.

I am not giving up but should we go down we had better go down fighting.

But....we aint down yet !!

And in the words of those famous Hibs fans Dexys Midnight Runners....."Come on Hibees...oh you know what this means, just 2 games that mean everything".

:flag:

Green Reaper
15-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Ps if I remember correctly the Airdrie end was half empty in broadwood.

If I remember correctly, came out that game to find our bus on fire!

Mango Man
25-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Whatever is the worst scenario for us will probably be what happens, scrape the first leg and then hammered on the 2nd leg, or penalties.

:rolleyes:

Sadly I am always right when it comes to Hibs.

1. Injury in first 8 minutes, brings on a player who has zero confidence.
2. Hamilton score early.
3. Hibs lose all fight and skill.
4. Longer game goes on it looks like we may actually hold on, minute and a half to go, boom.
5. Made all subs so only 1 forward left on the field for extra time.
6. Our saviour KT misses the first penalty.

This is the Hibs way I have learned.

Hibercelona
25-05-2014, 11:09 PM
:rolleyes:

Sadly I am always right when it comes to Hibs.

1. Injury in first 8 minutes, brings on a player who has zero confidence.
2. Hamilton score early.
3. Hibs lose all fight and skill.
4. Longer game goes on it looks like we may actually hold on, minute and a half to go, boom.
5. Made all subs so only 1 forward left on the field for extra time.
6. Our saviour KT misses the first penalty.

This is the Hibs way I have learned.

Well called.

I actually avoided this place after the 2-0 result on wednesday, because I knew it was far from over and didn't want to get caught up in any false sense of hype.

Losing to Hamilton over 2 legs and being sent down to the championship is bad enough, but the manner in which we've managed to pull it off..... I think it will take quite some time to sink in for a lot of people.

Yesterday was just very.... "Hibs".