PDA

View Full Version : Bbc - wtf?

Geo_1875
13-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Manic Monday dethrones dignified princes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27385424)

How more cringeworthy can the media in Scotland get?

leggeto
13-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Its tom English continuing his why are Jambo's getting a hard time opinion again

cocopops1875
13-05-2014, 08:59 AM
I reckon Big Tom is trying to get his hole

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 09:03 AM
It was a toss-up between "dignified princes" and "under-achieving trout-faced bawbags" and they went for the former.

leggeto
13-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Danny Lennon has done OK I think in his time there, winning a cup and avoiding relegation witch should be their aim every year

Paisley Hibby
13-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Agree that's cheesy pish but at least it's good news that hearts have appointed a bellend. Suggests their new chairwoman has as much of a clue about picking managers as Petrie. Interestingly, my Yam pals are totally silent about this development, I'm sure they're all pretty embarrassed actually.

keep the faith
13-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I like Tom English. I think his views on us are bang on. The fact he is not an old school old firm BBC man means he is actually quite sussed on our team and problems. Listening to him on the radio after the game on Sat and he actually sighed after Butcher's interview. When asked why he said that Terry always bangs on about the inability to score but he felt our inability to defend was just as important and never touched on. He was right in that too.
I'm aware I will get hammered for defending Tom English but he is light years ahead on the old Traynor/Chick Young brigade. Football fans,social media and the rangers implosion destroyed the old school BBC old firm love in and people like English and Spiers who stood up to this came through.
Moaning at English because he understands the problems at hibs or recognises that like it or not, Locke has been shoddily treated is just like the Huns taking offense with media criticism or celtc doing the old "everyone's against us" rubbish.
I'm confident that Tom English will be informed enough to give us praise when we do get things right.

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 09:53 AM
I like Tom English. I think his views on us are bang on. The fact he is not an old school old firm BBC man means he is actually quite sussed on our team and problems. Listening to him on the radio after the game on Sat and he actually sighed after Butcher's interview. When asked why he said that Terry always bangs on about the inability to score but he felt our inability to defend was just as important and never touched on. He was right in that too.
I'm aware I will get hammered for defending Tom English but he is light years ahead on the old Traynor/Chick Young brigade. Football fans,social media and the rangers implosion destroyed the old school BBC old firm love in and people like English and Spiers who stood up to this came through.
Moaning at English because he understands the problems at hibs or recognises that like it or not, Locke has been shoddily treated is just like the Huns taking offense with media criticism or celtc doing the old "everyone's against us" rubbish.
I'm confident that Tom English will be informed enough to give us praise when we do get things right.

The thing that bugs me most about English at the moment is precisely the fact he over-emphasizes problems with our defence. I agree that it isn't good, but English was continually trotting out this line even when we had conceded less goals than almost every team in the league under Fenlon - and we still have conceded less than half the teams in the league, including the team who finished 2nd. I think this bugs me partly because Tom English is a bit of a statto and he can't see the problem is absolutely the lack of "goals for" rather than too many against.

Rant aside, we have conceded soft goals, but so does everyone else, and it's not such a problem if you're capable of scoring yourself.

Risboro Hibby
13-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Got to agree with Keep the Faith about Tom English after match comments on BBC . His summing up of how Hibs over the past few years have got into our current predicament was in my opinion 100% correct. Excellent piece of informed journalism and yes while TB could only focus on bad luck and inability to score goals he was also right to express surprise that our manager could not see how lightweight and inept our defence is at the basics.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Once again the media cuddle up to the yak7 but forget to add why they are in this position in the first place, airbrushing out the lying, thieving and unpaid bills by the hundreds.

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Got to agree with Keep the Faith about Tom English after match comments on BBC . His summing up of how Hibs over the past few years have got into our current predicament was in my opinion 100% correct. Excellent piece of informed journalism and yes while TB could only focus on bad luck and inability to score goals he was also right to express surprise that our manager could not see how lightweight and inept our defence is at the basics.

We haven't kept anything like enough clean sheets this season, but we've conceded less than a lot of more successfull teams in the league. Not that I'm saying our defence is any good, but one look at the goals for and goals against columns shows where the real failings are in comparison to other teams. And although I don't want to defend Butcher, he did say that the first half chance opponents get, it's in the back of our net, so there is some recognition of defensive deficiencies there.

Spike Mandela
13-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Bollocks he is just as big a succulent lamb prat as Chick Young et al. He was so far behind with info about Hearts and Rangers demise he couldn't see it coming with the hubble telescope.

He loves the sound of his own voice but it is always comment and reaction, never insight.

His latest articles on Hearts and Hibs have seen him at his best, hindsight and contradiction.(why oh why can't he do an article on Hearts without mentioning Hibs, their mess is nothing to do with us)

In one article he is blaming Petrie for being tight with the cash for Hibs troubles but then goes on to praise Locke and the 'fighting Hearts babes' for dealing with the mess of someone else's overspend. Well, which is it Tom splash the cash or financial responsibility? Make your mind up!

Just another windbag telling everybody else where they went wrong.

greenpaper55
13-05-2014, 10:37 AM
He loves playing the devils advocate but never comes up with any answers himself, another windbag.

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Although a few weeks ago I would have agreed with keep the faith I actually think portycabbage has hit the nail on the head here. Tom English is over-emphasizing all sorts of points now, particularly about how bad Hibs are and how dignified Locke was. It's almost as if he's run out of other topics to discuss on Sportsound which is a shame because unlike the rest of them he is a good journalist. Anyway, if he's on Sportsound tonight or tomorrow they're meant to be discussing Hibs before the Hamilton v Falkirk playoff, no doubt he'll want to put his ha'pennies worth in to keep the studio yams happy.

Lago
13-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I like Tom Engliis h. I think his views on us are bang on. The fact he is not an old school old firm BBC man means he is actually quite sussed on our team and problems. Listening to him on the radio after the game on Sat and he actually sighed after Butcher's interview. When asked why he said that Terry always bangs on about the inability to score but he felt our inability to defend was just as important and never touched on. He was right in that too.

Not get hammered from me, like you I think he is spot on with his observations.

KeithTheHibby
13-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Well said.

jacomo
13-05-2014, 02:23 PM
The thing that bugs me most about English at the moment is precisely the fact he over-emphasizes problems with our defence. I agree that it isn't good, but English was continually trotting out this line even when we had conceded less goals than almost every team in the league under Fenlon - and we still have conceded less than half the teams in the league, including the team who finished 2nd. I think this bugs me partly because Tom English is a bit of a statto and he can't see the problem is absolutely the lack of "goals for" rather than too many against.

Rant aside, we have conceded soft goals, but so does everyone else, and it's not such a problem if you're capable of scoring yourself.

Fair enough. I happen to agree with you on that point - it's our struggle to score goals that has defined our season.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Tom English is a decent journalist and a cut above just about everybody else. Doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he says.

Jones28
13-05-2014, 02:38 PM
I like Tom English

clerriehibs
13-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Tom english is a ****.

He rips Hibs, but I've never heard him criticise the lying, cheating, thieving going on at gorgie.

portycabbage
13-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Fair enough. I happen to agree with you on that point - it's our struggle to score goals that has defined our season.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Tom English is a decent journalist and a cut above just about everybody else. Doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he says.

I don't have a particular gripe with him in general, just this season's obsession with our defence and his inability to even check the league table (which would prove the above in bold) despite his love of stats! It's probably a small gripe, but has been ongoing enough to get on my thrupnies a bit.

The Green Goblin
13-05-2014, 07:01 PM
In one article he is blaming Petrie for being tight with the cash for Hibs troubles but then goes on to praise Locke and the 'fighting Hearts babes' for dealing with the mess of someone else's overspend. Well, which is it Tom splash the cash or financial responsibility? Make your mind up!

Just another windbag telling everybody else where they went wrong.

Those points don't contradict each other though, imho. He has never said Hibs should overspend like Hearts did. His point about Petrie was that he was too inflexible, when a small difference was all that was needed to land certain players. As hard as it is to say it, it's clear that Locke has done as well as could be expected this season.