PDA

View Full Version : If we can get a good centre-half, a good striker, a good winger and a good right-back

TheFamous1875
13-05-2014, 06:49 AM
That's four signings, minus Thomson who I'm assuming would be kept. I'm also assuming that we'd be staying up before anyone mentions it. To me, if we were lucky enough to get those four players in, we would be well on our way. I think our squad already has some decent players in it - but it has no 'stars'. It has no 'main' players. The only one I can think of is Thomson.

It has youth in Stanton, Harris and Forster and it is imperative for our club to give these kids the best apprenticeships possible. Leaders they can learn from and can guide them in these early years.

I think Stevenson, Hanlon, Robertson, and Craig are all good enough to play a part in a good, successful team - the only one of them not to achieve this in the past is Hanlon.

With Stanton, Harris and Forster pushing on we need some real players in there to take the heat off them and let them concentrate on their game. I'd prefer it if they were all understudies of some kind to some more experienced players, as this season they've all at some point looked unready. Stanton has been the highlight of the season by far for Hibs, and his potential is huge, but as the season's went on he's been looking more and more tired. It is worth remembering that this is his first season in senior football and it takes time for young players to acclimatise theirselves to the rigours of the professional game.

Forster is a similar case, as he's been relied on to be one of our main defenders for most of this season. He has lots of potential, but has been put in the firing line too much and has, naturally been caught by a few bullets. Nelson is not good enough and was a panic buy from Fenlon.

Pat relied on the far-fetched idea of McPake and Clancy returning too much and was proven wrong in both cases, hence why Mullen isn't even here anymore and Maybury at the ripe age of 71 is still having to fill in the cracks. Maybury's professionalism this season (and last) has been testament of an exemplar attitude and passion that has given him the good career he has had.

Harris on the other hand has returned from his first long term injury shy of fitness, touch and confidence. His best performances this season have came from off the bench vs Killie at the weekend and Hearts at Tynie. Had Fenlon not relied on him to be our star player for the season, we'd have had a winger in to start in place of him to let him ease himself back into the game. Another we need to take care of.

I think that these players mentioned, if coupled with a few talented and experienced players would make a great team. With confidence, I see no reason why a team with a real, sustainable spine to it, supplemented by our promising youngsters couldn't be challenging in the top half of the table next season.

That's what we've been missing.

Fenlon got us some good players, but he didn't build a solid squad with options. No creativity, no width, no full backs, no pace and absolutely no leaders (sans Thomson) to lead by example.

Nutmegged
13-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Players we could be interested infrom the Premiership alone that I'd sign if we could....

CF. Lyle Taylor - obviously not technically from the SPFL but it looks like he is very gettable and has proven in the Championship and nowkn the Premiership that he can score goals, create goals and has pace

RW. Lionel Ainsworth - Again not technically an SPFL Player but having just spent a very successful Season on loan at Motherwell his parent club has apparently told him he can leave.

LM. Kallum Higginbotham - Has been a breath of fresh air for Thistle this Season, was possibly the best of the Falkirk batch of young players in 2011/12 but things never worked out for him after that, found his form again at Thistle, would reinvigorate us IMO

RB. Dave MacKay - Mr Consistent and would give us experience and organisation at the back, he's also handy with set-pieces

LB. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - While it's been reported that he wants to head down South I think a realistic offer of a 2 year contract with the I itial view to putting him in the shop window at a much bigger club than Thistle in the next year could possibly be tempting.

CB. Shaun Hutchinson - Again he might get better rewarded down South or at Sevco but I feel its a player we must at least try and speak too and with Leeann Dempster on board it also gives us the pitential to possibly know what kind of deal he's realistically expecting.

Infact looking at those targets, Dempster having worked with Higginbotham, Ainsworth and Hutchinson could give us a big heads up on what it would roughly take on all of those guys.

NOLA
13-05-2014, 08:07 AM
And a good goalie ;)

SlickShoes
13-05-2014, 08:14 AM
If we can just buy 90% of an entire team we will be sorted!

SMAXXA
13-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Eh a left back?

MB62
13-05-2014, 08:39 AM
And another centre half, another winger, another striker and a midfield player, but apart from them, we should be fine with what we have :wink:

Billychaotic182
13-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Just a new team really

Paisley Hibby
13-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Just a new team really

And a new manager, assistant manager and CEO. Only the last of these is in place - maybe she could take on a holding role in midfield?

Keith_M
13-05-2014, 01:04 PM
if we could get a good team................

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 01:09 PM
And a new manager, assistant manager and CEO. Only the last of these is in place - maybe she could take on a holding role in midfield?

Sick of Dempster already? Atleast give her a chance! :greengrin

--------
13-05-2014, 01:10 PM

And the Great Helmsman himself sent on a clue-finding visit to Chechnya. One-way ticket.