12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Yet again he sells the jerseys - always guaranteed to make one big howler

J-C
13-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Yet again he sells the jerseys - always guaranteed to make one big howler

Yep ans straight back into the Scotland squad :confused:

greenpaper55
13-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Watched that game last night and his team were strolling it until he dived in, to cap it all he knackered his knee in the tackle, silly man.

Nutmegged
13-05-2014, 09:39 AM
He's an absolute bombscare, a continual let down for his team mates.

I'm a big big fan of Gordon Strachan but this soft spot he has for Caldwell is beyond comprehension.

Smartie
13-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I always thought that Gary Caldwell was gash. It's a sad indictment of modern football that he can pick up about £40k a week at Wigan.

I think that (apart from his positioning) his biggest problem is that he doesn't realise he's gash. If he had a bit of humility, just tried to stand in the right position and not try anything fancy, ever, he would be about 100x the player he is.

Some limited players have actually been very good because they've been self-aware enough to know what their weaknesses are and not expose them.

Mental how short Scotland are on centre-halves at the moment, and how well-stocked we are on creative midfielders.

Geo_1875
13-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I always thought that Gary Caldwell was gash. It's a sad indictment of modern football that he can pick up about £40k a week at Wigan.

I think that (apart from his positioning) his biggest problem is that he doesn't realise he's gash. If he had a bit of humility, just tried to stand in the right position and not try anything fancy, ever, he would be about 100x the player he is.

Some limited players have actually been very good because they've been self-aware enough to know what their weaknesses are and not expose them.

Mental how short Scotland are on centre-halves at the moment, and how well-stocked we are on creative midfielders.

His lack of positional awareness is staggering, and that along with his inability to stand up when challenging makes him a huge liability to any team he plays for.

steviehibsleith
13-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Actually think he is a good passer and quite a intelligent player his problem has always been he is slow. Even at Hibs this was the case i am surprised what he as achieved in the game.

Spike Mandela
13-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Jeezo, what I would give for a Gary Caldwell at the back for Hibs just now.

Michael
13-05-2014, 10:49 AM
When Celtic wanted him I couldn't believe it. He cost us loads of points. Makes you wonder if the premier league isn't as great as it's made out to be!

Still, I would definitely have him over Nelson.

erin go bragh
13-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Yes he could make the odd rash tackle but how we could with him in our back four just now . A great leader and not afraid to venture forward with the ball at his feet .

Ggtth

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Yeh, I thought he was pants as well. Two things I particularly remember him for- that awful pass across the penalty box that Bednaar (I think it was him) scored from in a derby game at ER, and his celebration for Celtic after he'd scored an equaliser against us. We still beat them.

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Yeh, I thought he was pants as well. Two things I particularly remember him for- that awful pass across the penalty box that Bednaar (I think it was him) scored from in a derby game at ER, and his celebration for Celtic after he'd scored an equaliser against us. We still beat them.

That not the 3-2 game where Boruc was at fault for pretty much all 3 goals? magic :greengrin

leither17
13-05-2014, 11:27 AM
That not the 3-2 game where Boruc was at fault for pretty much all 3 goals? magic :greengrin

Yeah boruc was dancing about like a fairy trying to get it up the east stand when the equalised then laid the last goal on a plate for deano. At ft he just dropped his gloves and walked off then a hibs fan jumped on and grabbed them haha what a team we had in they days

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Yeah boruc was dancing about like a fairy trying to get it up the east stand when the equalised then laid the last goal on a plate for deano. At ft he just dropped his gloves and walked off then a hibs fan jumped on and grabbed them haha what a team we had in they days

what a day that was.. nostalgia kicking in :boo hoo:

KeithTheHibby
13-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Gary Caldwell was good for us in both spells. He played centre half the season we finished 3rd.

easty
13-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I liked him. He does have some odd moments but he's nae worse than some other EPL defenders. He's never going to be a top team player down there but you could chuck him in at a few teams nae problem.

ekhibee
13-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Classic entertainment, along with Rankin's 'squiggler' in another game when we beat them!

stubru59
13-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Booby Robson said of Caldwell that he was too small for a centre half and too slow for a full-back. No quibbles on that score.

hibeemikey21
13-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Classic entertainment, along with Rankin's 'squiggler' in another game when we beat them!

Boruc also chucked in a trundler that fletcher hit from about 35 yards.

I seem to recall that the replay actually showed some players turning away to get back in position before the ball had even reached Boruc. Te shot was that weak

The hole-y goalie

Sean1875
13-05-2014, 01:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg

Highlights of that 3-2. Accompanied by the classic 'celtc' banner at the start :faf:

oh and apologies op :hijack::greengrin

TornadoHibby
13-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Highlights of that 3-2. Accompanied by the classic 'celtc' banner at the start :faf:

If we only had that team for the next two matches eh?! :wink:

Was that not the game after Caldwell was "outed" as having been seeing a Rangers cheerleader or something and the cry from the East was "Gary, Gary, how's the wife etc" IIRC! :greengrin

And......didn't Makalamby do well that day!? :wink:

DH1875
14-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Booby Robson said of Caldwell that he was too small for a centre half and too slow for a full-back. No quibbles on that score.

I always said Caldwells best position was as a def-mid player.

Beefster
14-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Gary Caldwell was good for us in both spells. He played centre half the season we finished 3rd.

Agreed. A massive amount of revisionism about Caldwell because of the way he left for Celtic and his behaviour towards us since. We're in with a chance of going down and have had to watch Nelson all season so, all in all, Caldwell in defence seems like happy days.

Broken Gnome
14-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Caldwell's Hollywood moments and random mazy dribbles out of defence would actually improve us no end.

No sarcasm.

Hiber-nation
14-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Martinez, Strachan and Rosler must be really poor managers according to some experts on here.

heretoday
14-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Caldwell was good. It pains me to look at the type of player we are hiring these days.

California-Hibs
14-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Caldwell was a great player for Hibs!! People on here are kidding themselves on/have very poor memories. Would kill for him at the centre of our defense these days!

Hiber-nation
14-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Caldwell was a great player for Hibs!! People on here are kidding themselves on/have very poor memories. Would kill for him at the centre of our defense these days!

:agree:

Inspirational captain as far as I'm concerned. Dragged us back from 2 down in that game at Motherwell when it looked like Europe might be slipping away. But tainted in some folks' eyes by signing for celtc obviously.

Mon Dieu4
14-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Inspirational captain as far as I'm concerned. Dragged us back from 2 down in that game at Motherwell when it looked like Europe might be slipping away. But tainted in some folks' eyes by signing for celtc obviously.

He was tainted well before that, too many blockbuster balls that went straight out for a goal kick, poor positional sense, hand goes up like hailing a taxi as he was caught out again

also don't buy the inspirational captain bit, every time he made a mistake he would always turn round and stare or ball at a team mate like it was their fault

not to say he isn't 100 better than what we currently have but he is average at best, still managed to make a good career out of it though

he is like Bendtner in that if he was has as good as he thought he was then he would have been better than Beckenbaur

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2014, 08:18 AM

:agree: Caldwell or Nelson............................... FFS he can pass a ball, defend and play football at SPFL standard all day long. Yes i'm surprised he's made it to the Premiership and earnt the wages he has, but is that his fault.

I'd have him back in a minute.

portycabbage
14-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I would agree that generally Caldwell was good at Hibs - apart from the last 6 months when it had emerged he'd signed a pre-contract at Celtc, when he was a bombscare who couldn't head the ball the length of himself. At least that's how I remember it.

TornadoHibby
14-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Agreed. A massive amount of revisionism about Caldwell because of the way he left for Celtic and his behaviour towards us since. We're in with a chance of going down and have had to watch Nelson all season so, all in all, Caldwell in defence seems like happy days.

:top marks

GlenrothesHibee
14-05-2014, 09:01 AM
When Celtic wanted him I couldn't believe it. He cost us loads of points. Makes you wonder if the premier league isn't as great as it's made out to be!

Still, I would definitely have him over Nelson.

Its not

KeithTheHibby
14-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Haven't seen those highlights for years.

Hong Kong Thierry, started really well for us.

Forgot Chris Killen had joined them, at that point they must have got him, Riordan, Brown and Caldwell in the space of a year?

Boruc, what a total fanny, jumping about like a right fud after the equaliser.

jacomo
14-05-2014, 02:36 PM

You both have taken it far too far. He was far better than we have now but he was not 'great' for Hibs, nor was he an inspirational leader. He was an effective player in a promising team. He definitely turned in some very good performances but other weeks he could seem disinterested and lacking in concentration. I am not sure he inspired any of his team mates to play beyond themselves.

He was on loan for his first spell and even when he signed his (2 year?) contract he didn't seem sure whether or not he'd made the right decision. There was very little bitterness as I recall when he left for Celtc... that started when he admitted that he had started putting in far more effort now he was at a 'big club'.

jacomo
14-05-2014, 02:37 PM
I would agree that generally Caldwell was good at Hibs - apart from the last 6 months when it had emerged he'd signed a pre-contract at Celtc, when he was a bombscare who couldn't head the ball the length of himself. At least that's how I remember it.

A much more accurate assessment. He was generally decent for us, but not a stand out.

The fact that he could walk into our current team doesn't mean much. Amadou Konte could walk back into this team. Probably van Zanten too.

Hiber-nation
14-05-2014, 05:40 PM
You both have taken it far too far. He was far better than we have now but he was not 'great' for Hibs, nor was he an inspirational leader. He was an effective player in a promising team. He definitely turned in some very good performances but other weeks he could seem disinterested and lacking in concentration. I am not sure he inspired any of his team mates to play beyond themselves.

He was on loan for his first spell and even when he signed his (2 year?) contract he didn't seem sure whether or not he'd made the right decision. There was very little bitterness as I recall when he left for Celtc... that started when he admitted that he had started putting in far more effort now he was at a 'big club'.

In your opinion that is. You make it sound like a "FACT"!

Aldo
14-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Haven't seen those highlights for years. Hong Kong Thierry, started really well for us. Forgot Chris Killen had joined them, at that point they must have got him, Riordan, Brown and Caldwell in the space of a year? Boruc, what a total fanny, jumping about like a right fud after the equaliser.

Yip he sure was and tbh I was jumping about like a fud when we scored the 3rd (probably like most others)

jacomo
15-05-2014, 02:37 PM
In your opinion that is. You make it sound like a "FACT"!

Well of course it's my opinion, that's why I wrote it. :confused:

As with most of my opinions, it's also a FACT. :greengrin :wink: