PDA

View Full Version : Is scoring the first goal in a game the Holy Grail it is being made out to be

Ronniekirk
12-05-2014, 08:19 AM
We all know we haven't won a game since beating Ross county at home 2. 1 and we scored the first goal ,but importantly for me we scored the second as well .

T B in his Log Jam Analogy is partly hinting when we score one we could score several ,but over this inept disasterous run he has presided over when we have scored one that hasn't happened. also in that same interview he completely ignored the fact we seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet .when we had half chances against Killie that had players throwing themselves in front of our players to make blocks there desire to do this shows commitment and desire and discipline .

The goal we lost has happened a few times ,a big of trickery on wing for player to actuall get by a player into scarce to put in a low cross with some speed on it into the box or 18 yard line are. our Defence stand and watch the ball or there is a mix up between two players and bang the ball is in the back of the net .Foster and Nelson as combo are particularly susceptible to this and any team doing there home work will know this and try and exploit it.

So given it's so long since we won a ganme and the pressure on our squad is that first goal going to really make that big a difference . psychologically it will give us a boost no question , but is it the game changer T B makes it out to be

Gettin' Auld
12-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Sure wouldn't hurt any.......

Jones28
12-05-2014, 08:32 AM
It definitely is when your mental state is as fragile as ours is.

Plus if you score 1, they've got to score 2 to win.

#FromTheCapital
12-05-2014, 08:36 AM
It is important for a team like us who struggle to score. In general I think it's not as important as is sometimes made out. A lot of people often say the outcome of a game is dependant on who gets the first goal, which imo is pish in most cases.

scuttle
12-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Don't think it would matter much for most teams in a two legged play off, but in our current predicament I think its vital

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm sure there'll be a website somewhere that'll show that statiscally scoring the first goal is hugely beneficial to winning a football match (even more so in avoiding defeat), I just cannae be bothered searching for it! :-)

SanFranHibs
12-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Just once.

:singing: All we are saaaaaaaaying....is give us the lead :singing:

emerald green
12-05-2014, 11:04 AM
It's not the Holy Grail, whatever that is mate. But it wouldn't do any harm I suppose. :greengrin

Hibercelona
12-05-2014, 11:19 AM
It's vital that we score the first goal. Because this lot don't know how to deal with a situation that involves going behind and having to keep the momentum up in order to get back into it.

Their heads drop. We get (rightfully) frustrated and end up booing. Their heads drop even further and it's game set and match.

They just don't have what it takes to fight back when the chips are down. So getting the first goal in the first leg will be vital.