PDA

View Full Version : Now the dust has settled......

ArmadaleHibs
12-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Saturday for me was THE most disappointing day in many a year for me. Even worse than the unspeakable scottish cup final. The amount of times I've raised my hopes and thought "we can do this" is rediculous. Not once or twice but literally 100's of times over the last several years only to be smacked down again very quickly by a team that lack the ability and professionalism to wear that special jersey.

Am I surprised by this? Well no is the answer. So if I'm not surprised why do I still feel after the dust has settled that part of me is just not right. I'm still moping around the house feeling numb, lost and upset. It's sad that near enough every thread on here has us arguing with each other about who's opinion is right or wrong. It's sad that our players (or some at least) can still celebrate abject failure in public. It's sad that our manager seems to have lost control of what was already a car crash. It's sad that our owners have no real affinity with the football club. It's sad that this team/management/owners have put us as fans in this position. Were the ones who have to live this nightmare.

I feel terrible that the support is draining from me. 35 years I've been watching hibs and it's the biggest and most consistent part of my life. Maybe not the be all and end all but everyday is consumed by things and thoughts of hibernian. The fact that my faith is being questioned by myself shows just how bad things have got. I'm holding on to some posters positives but if I'm honest I just can't see a way out of this mess and fear relegation might just be the final straw.

Where do we go from here. Do you have any positive feelings about the upcoming playoffs. Or like me are you completely ruined by it all and lost. And to be honest, the dust is probably no where near settled yet.

GGTTH

PeeJay
12-05-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm in Berlin where normally I can just switch off after yet another defeat (no-one here cares about some Scottish club called Hibs, apart from Hiberlin probably :greengrin) but even though the recent results have put a real damper on my spirits, I still feel that the fact we have two games to save ourselves is reason enough for me to be cautiously optimistic - I believe we can do it, just wish it wasn't being drawn out as torturously as it is ...

... I think, assuming we stay up - that Butcher (with a new batch of players - if it was up to me, I'd renew the entire squad) will get us off to a good start next season in the SPFL, of course anything and everything will then be better than this awful season

TornadoHibby
12-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Saturday for me was THE most disappointing day in many a year for me. Even worse than the unspeakable scottish cup final. The amount of times I've raised my hopes and thought "we can do this" is rediculous. Not once or twice but literally 100's of times over the last several years only to be smacked down again very quickly by a team that lack the ability and professionalism to wear that special jersey.

Am I surprised by this? Well no is the answer. So if I'm not surprised why do I still feel after the dust has settled that part of me is just not right. I'm still moping around the house feeling numb, lost and upset. It's sad that near enough every thread on here has us arguing with each other about who's opinion is right or wrong. It's sad that our players (or some at least) can still celebrate abject failure in public. It's sad that our manager seems to have lost control of what was already a car crash. It's sad that our owners have no real affinity with the football club. It's sad that this team/management/owners have put us as fans in this position. Were the ones who have to live this nightmare.

I feel terrible that the support is draining from me. 35 years I've been watching hibs and it's the biggest and most consistent part of my life. Maybe not the be all and end all but everyday is consumed by things and thoughts of hibernian. The fact that my faith is being questioned by myself shows just how bad things have got. I'm holding on to some posters positives but if I'm honest I just can't see a way out of this mess and fear relegation might just be the final straw.

Where do we go from here. Do you have any positive feelings about the upcoming playoffs. Or like me are you completely ruined by it all and lost. And to be honest, the dust is probably no where near settled yet.

GGTTH

I think a lot of us are in a similar frame of mind right now and are just not clear how things on the field can improve to the point that such a disastrous run of dismal perfomances and horrific results in 2014 can be completely reversed in two matches against an adrenaline and "big prize to be won" fuelled mentality of a busy, physical aggressive and determined Championship side against our "shy and retiring" types (TB's approximate description) of which we seem to have more than a few! :agree:

I posted something similar on the Petrie (Hibs web site) Statement (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?283385-Official-Site-Message-From-The-Chairman&p=4008016&viewfull=1#post4008016)thread yesterday as I couldn't think of any better way of expressing the way that I personally feel let down by the Club management in driving the playing performances from what we had for a few years up to 2007 down to what we have been seeing gradually and then rapidly declining since then until those in 2014 have been the worst almost in living memory of current fans! :agree:

And, as you say, the dust is probably nowhere near settled yet as a good number of those who will play in the playoffs (I imagine) will be players that TB has apparently told are not required for next season!!

Michael
12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
The amount of times I've raised my hopes and thought "we can do this" is rediculous. Not once or twice but literally 100's of times over the last several years only to be smacked down again very quickly by a team that lack the ability and professionalism to wear that special jersey.

Every supporter of every club experiences this multiple times a season. Most teams experience relegation eventually. We've been bad for a while, but it follows a very good spell of the club.

It could be worse.

Think about how boring it must be supporting Celtic.

At least things are interesting for us!

scuttle
12-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Every supporter of every club experiences this multiple times a season. Most teams experience relegation eventually. We've been bad for a while, but it follows a very good spell of the club.

It could be worse.

Gone http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/a%20gone%20fishin%20smiley.gif

The Sea-gull
12-05-2014, 08:20 AM
My fear, and it has been a fear for a long time, is that we have been heading for relegation for a few years now. People talk about this "7 year decline" but for me it has been 4.5 years. Aside from last season, we have been in relegation form for about 4.5 years now and when the play off was introduced last summer I did think to myself that, while it was a good thing for the Scottish game, it might not be a good thing for Hibs if we didn't get our act together. Well we didn't, we haven't and here we are.

There has been a lot of dismissive attitudes around the club. Anyone on here who has suggested there was potential for us to be in the brown stuff was shouted down until very recently despite no real signs of sustained progress. From the whole "play off nonsense being put to bed" chat which to me is the prime example of how some folk have not seen the woods for trees. Take Leigh Griffiths away and you can remove the "Aside from last season" from my paragraph above.

Dimissing things hasn't just existed amoung the fans though. Petrie swans around Behind the Goals dodging any awkward questions and not giving straight answers in a manner any MP would be proud of. Someone was saying that he responded to a question about the dates or prices or something for the play off only just the other week by saying "It's not going to happen". That level of arrogance is unbelievable and definitely lacking in credible foundation.

As I have said, I have always carried this lingering fear about Hibs and the play off. Maybe I am too much of a doom and gloomer. I don't know. I'm not shocked we are where we are based on the last few weeks as for me it has always been a possibility this season but even up until Saturday, overall, I thought we'd get out of it. It was said we just needed one win to steer clear since about February. We had three months to get this win and even down to the last game we still just needed one win but couldn't get it. I never had the confidence to say the notion of us being in the play off was nonsence but even when all that talk was flying around I did think that we'd get out of it or at worst there would be at least one poorer team than us in the league who wouldn't get enough points. I thought surely they would not all get their act together while with us continuing to flouder at the same time but that is exactly what has happened.

On Saturday we had 90 mins to save ourselves from the play off, we could have done it but we didn't. We now have 180 minutes (plus possibly ET and pens :worried:) to us from relegation. We can do it, we're not down yet!

Onion
12-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Just glad that the POs are not for another 9 days. If we went straight into them now I'm convinced we'd get beat. The players and management team's heads must still be reeling.

9 days gives us time to fully accept our predicament. To accept we ended 11th in the league. And to recharge, plan and focus on winning these 2 games. The media and everyone else expects us to get beat. That's no bad thing. With luck, so will Falkirk or Hamilton.

Yesterday and today FEELS like we've be relegated. Over the next few days we'll realise that we're not and that we've been handed another chance to stay in the Prem. Hopefully everyone at Hibs can gather strength from that and seize the day.

SanFranHibs
12-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm in Berlin where normally I can just switch off after yet another defeat (no-one here cares about some Scottish club called Hibs, apart from Hiberlin probably :greengrin) but even though the recent results have put a real damper on my spirits, I still feel that the fact we have two games to save ourselves is reason enough for me to be cautiously optimistic - I believe we can do it, just wish it wasn't being drawn out as torturously as it is ...

... I think, assuming we stay up - that Butcher (with a new batch of players - if it was up to me, I'd renew the entire squad) will get us off to a good start next season in the SPFL, of course anything and everything will then be better than this awful season

Start spreading the gospel :wink:

Everyone I know in Paris who has an interest in football always ask me "What's up with Hibs?". But then I make sure everyone knows I am a Hibs fan ! Am I dumb or what?

Hey Peejay, where do you watch your football in Berlin? I am sure there are many places but good to watch the Hibs in a pub. I am on the verge of quitting Paris and moving to Berlin. Been contacting people about rooms/studios.

And to the OP.....the playoff beckons. "We can do this" :greengrin

Islington Hibs
12-05-2014, 08:41 AM
It is going to take a hell of a turnaround to win this play-off. We will see what they are made of. Whether we play Falkirk or Hamilton they are on a winning run, have little to lose, as promotion would be an unexpected bonus. We have won, is it one is 16, can't score, have no confidence and a very nervous and angry (albeit large) support.

On paper we should win, but then again on paper we should not be in this position. Yes we can do it but we will have to go for it and be much more incisive front. Answers on a postcard please.

Craig_in_Prague
12-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Just glad that the POs are not for another 9 days. If we went straight into them now I'm convinced we'd get beat. The players and management team's heads must still be reeling.

9 days gives us time to fully accept our predicament. To accept we ended 11th in the league. And to recharge, plan and focus on winning these 2 games. The media and everyone else expects us to get beat. That's no bad thing. With luck, so will Falkirk or Hamilton.

Yesterday and today FEELS like we've be relegated. Over the next few days we'll realise that we're not and that we've been handed another chance to stay in the Prem. Hopefully everyone at Hibs can gather strength from that and seize the day.

Agreed; and whilst we have this week to prepare, Hamilton and Falkirk play 2 games this week (so in Falkirks case 4 more games on top of their season), It might be straw clutching, but I wonder if our fitness alone might help us out here,
although both these teams are mainly used to winning and scoring. We can't score and are used to losing.

It's going to be horrible, but I hope we can get a win in the 1st match somehow (1-0 , 2-1) then finish the job at ER.

We have been losing narrowly in recent games, which suggests a little bit of luck / rub of the green could make a massive difference.

Completely understand and feel the same as the OP.

Part of me wishes I could wash my hands with Scottish football and Hibs. I feel I can't stand it anymore.
Of course I will never be able to do that, but this moping about and feeling numb, is horrific. Reading players up town drinking champagne, etc, all adds to the misery.
I think our board finally see the need for change, but is it too late ! If we go down, we're buggered for years.

spike220
12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

GGTTH

I hear the stress and anxiety thread (from The Holy Ground) is really good. Give it a shot.

PeeJay
12-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Start spreading the gospel :wink:

Hey Peejay, where do you watch your football in Berlin? I am sure there are many places but good to watch the Hibs in a pub. I am on the verge of quitting Paris and moving to Berlin. Been contacting people about rooms/studios.

I watch all the games courtesy of the iffy streams on Hibs Tv sites (International or Xtra) or even on "other streams" - I assume there must be some pubs (Irish Pubs perhaps?) in this zany city that will allow their patrons to watch the Hibees ... Scottish football doesn't have the high profile over here that the EPL enjoys (you may not be surprised at that ... :greengrin)

gegs70
12-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Well yes it's been happening for a number of years and being honest the football on show has been terrible and if it wasn't for my son wanting to go I would have stopped.a few seasons ago, it just isn't entertaining at all.

I hope we can win the play offs but we don't seem able to score....something that still hasn't been resolved....I'm not convinced Terry can sort this with the current set of players!

greenpaper55
12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
My fear, and it has been a fear for a long time, is that we have been heading for relegation for a few years now. People talk about this "7 year decline" but for me it has been 4.5 years. Aside from last season, we have been in relegation form for about 4.5 years now and when the play off was introduced last summer I did think to myself that, while it was a good thing for the Scottish game, it might not be a good thing for Hibs if we didn't get our act together. Well we didn't, we haven't and here we are.

There has been a lot of dismissive attitudes around the club. Anyone on here who has suggested there was potential for us to be in the brown stuff was shouted down until very recently despite no real signs of sustained progress. From the whole "play off nonsense being put to bed" chat which to me is the prime example of how some folk have not seen the woods for trees. Take Leigh Griffiths away and you can remove the "Aside from last season" from my paragraph above.

Dimissing things hasn't just existed amoung the fans though. Petrie swans around Behind the Goals dodging any awkward questions and not giving straight answers in a manner any MP would be proud of. Someone was saying that he responded to a question about the dates or prices or something for the play off only just the other week by saying "It's not going to happen". That level of arrogance is unbelievable and definitely lacking in credible foundation.

As I have said, I have always carried this lingering fear about Hibs and the play off. Maybe I am too much of a doom and gloomer. I don't know. I'm not shocked we are where we are based on the last few weeks as for me it has always been a possibility this season but even up until Saturday, overall, I thought we'd get out of it. It was said we just needed one win to steer clear since about February. We had three months to get this win and even down to the last game we still just needed one win but couldn't get it. I never had the confidence to say the notion of us being in the play off was nonsence but even when all that talk was flying around I did think that we'd get out of it or at worst there would be at least one poorer team than us in the league who wouldn't get enough points. I thought surely they would not all get their act together while with us continuing to flouder at the same time but that is exactly what has happened.

On Saturday we had 90 mins to save ourselves from the play off, we could have done it but we didn't. We now have 180 minutes (plus possibly ET and pens :worried:) to us from relegation. We can do it, we're not down yet!

:top marksIf someone scripted this a few months ago no one would have believed it and i think no one at ER ever contemplated the fact that we could end up in the situation we are in right now. We have a wee respite until next week and the team must feel like they are boxer who has just been knocked down and trying to clear their heads, lets hope the break can work for us.

Waxy
12-05-2014, 10:15 AM
The dust hasnt settled yet. I'd guess tommorow afternoon.

Keith_M
12-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Anybody being realistic about our situation would admit that we are relegated in all but name. We are just waiting for the game on May 25th to be over for it to be confirmed officially.

The Manager and players have no idea how to reverse the events of the last four months or so and actually win a game. That's all we've needed for the last few weeks, Hibs to win ONE match. I still have no confidence whatsoever that they can do this.

The fans have stood up and been counted on enough occassions to realise that it now makes no difference. When I stated this previously, I was reminded about the New Year game. Great, one game, four and a half months ago; every other time since we've just been kicked in the nuts.

Hibs are going down. The sooner everybody just accepts this, the easier it will be to deal with it.

silverhibee
12-05-2014, 11:52 AM

It could be worse.

Must be really boring winning things and playing in the Champions League so it must.

Are you for real.