PDA

View Full Version : Surely not

erskine-hibby
11-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Heard a rumour that TB is away most of the summer at the world cup? I would have thought, if true, that his time would be better spent getting players in and getting them ready for the new season??

Onceinawhile
11-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Heard a rumour that TB is away most of the summer at the world cup? I would have thought, if true, that his time would be better spent getting players in and getting them ready for the new season??

Plenty players lined up (apparently).

he was away on Wednesday instead of watching killie, so would it really surprise you?

Coco Bryce
11-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Our club is a shambles.

yeezus.
11-05-2014, 09:45 PM

I saw this on Facebook tonight, with a bit of luck he won't be our manager by then.

Callum_62
11-05-2014, 09:45 PM
SACKABLE OFFENSE.

:rolleyes:

erskine-hibby
11-05-2014, 09:47 PM

he was away on Wednesday instead of watching killie, so would it really surprise you?
Yes it would actually. Regardless of the amount of players that are, or are not, lined up. I would expect a good long preseason to get them ready for the next campaign.

Baldy Foghorn
11-05-2014, 09:47 PM
SACKABLE OFFENSE.

:rolleyes:

Is it?

Sir David Gray
11-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Can't see this being true.

SMAXXA
11-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Past caring

Cod Boy
11-05-2014, 09:49 PM
He is going over to tie up the transfers of Ronaldo and Messi.

erskine-hibby
11-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Past caring

Obviously not ;-)

Peevemor
11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Past caring

Who, you or TB?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-05-2014, 09:54 PM

He was at a presentation.

yeezus.
11-05-2014, 09:54 PM
He is going over to tie up the transfers of Ronaldo and Messi.

:bitchy: Messi has signed for Stranraer - it has been confirmed.

IberianHibernian
11-05-2014, 09:56 PM
By law it won`t be a sackable offence . Club appointed him seemingly without interviewing other candidates ( ex Málaga and Betis manager was rumoured as being interested for example but was he interviewed ? ) and I`m sure he made it clear he had media commitments before . After we had won a couple of games at New Year he was quick to tell press about how his Rangers and England past helped him to attract good players and I think Petrie ( or whoever appointed TB ) bought into all the press hype and took Butcher at any cost ( one cost being away for media stuff -arrogantly they may even have thought that his past connections helped our club ) . Butcher appointment was a huge mistake whatever happens in play off and if WC TV stuff is true is yet another example of how poorly run club is .

Cod Boy
11-05-2014, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=StranraerHibee;4009443]:bitchy: Messi has signed for Stranraer - it has been

I heard it was down to wages again ffs

SMAXXA
11-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Who, you or TB?

Me

i couldn't care less if he's at the World Cup, down south or anywhere else for that matter, I'm sure the modern technology these days allows him to conduct his business from anywhere with the help from his management team who I'm assuming won't be there with him. It's the close season and so what if he's there, I'm more interested in what he does when he and the players return to work for preseason.

if he's still here that is and I can't say I'd be unhappy if he wasn't here.

CallumLaidlaw
11-05-2014, 09:59 PM
World Cup ends on 13th july. England will be out by end of June. I have no issue with him having a holiday. If he uses that to do media work then fair enough. I'm sure he'll be back by 1st July for pre season. If players have already been identified, we may have them signed up before he goes.

Peevemor
11-05-2014, 09:59 PM
By law it won`t be a sackable offence . Club appointed him seemingly without interviewing other candidates ( ex Málaga and Betis manager was rumoured as being interested for example but was he interviewed ? ) and I`m sure he made it clear he had media commitments before . After we had won a couple of games at New Year he was quick to tell press about how his Rangers and England past helped him to attract good players and I think Petrie ( or whoever appointed TB ) bought into all the press hype and took Butcher at any cost ( one cost being away for media stuff -arrogantly they may even have thought that his past connections helped our club ) . Butcher appointment was a huge mistake whatever happens in play off and if WC TV stuff is true is yet another example of how poorly run club is .

To be fair, most of the players that Hibs target would see working with a former England captain as an attraction.

DTS
11-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Sam allerdyce said the other day he loves modern technology as he can get deals down whilst on the beach. So if it can work for west game think we will be fine

HoboHarry
11-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Will his phone not ring while he is in Brazil? Or maybe texts and emails will show up in Portuguese and he may miss a signing because of language difficulties? :rolleyes: FFS - does the world only continue in Scotland if a person is sat next to a land-line?

clerriehibs
11-05-2014, 10:51 PM
He was at a presentation.

He should have called off.

Callum_62
11-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Will his phone not ring while he is in Brazil? Or maybe texts and emails will show up in Portuguese and he may miss a signing because of language difficulties? :rolleyes: FFS - does the world only continue in Scotland if a person is sat next to a land-line?

:agree::thumbsup:

Anything to beat TB with though

I remember a similar pattern with Pat Fenlon

matty_f
11-05-2014, 10:54 PM

:top marks

HoboHarry
11-05-2014, 10:55 PM

And Mixu... etc etc.....

davhibby
11-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Nothing wrong with it. He'll know who he wants now anyway so he'll still be able to get them in. Can't waste an opportunity to have a go at anyone connected with the club though!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-05-2014, 11:06 PM
He should have called off.

Too right :agree:

matty_f
12-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Personally I think it's a great opportunity for him to develop his football knowledge and broaden his contacts, both things which can benefit Hibs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-05-2014, 08:56 AM
He might smuggle Claros back in his suit case!

Craig_in_Prague
12-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Personally I think it's a great opportunity for him to develop his football knowledge and broaden his contacts, both things which can benefit Hibs.

Benefit Hibs in being a mid table (if we're lucky) championship club?

I'm sure contacts will be going out their way to help him.

He'll be at the World Cup as Ex-hibs manager anyway.

Thecat23
12-05-2014, 11:10 AM
9 targets have been put to the board. It all depends now on staying up if we get these guys. Even if we do will be interesting to see how many of these 9 players we actually get before it's 3rd and 4th journeymen.

Keith_M
12-05-2014, 11:14 AM
9 targets have been put to the board. It all depends now on staying up if we get these guys. Even if we do will be interesting to see how many of these 9 players we actually get before it's 3rd and 4th journeymen.

How many of those would the board be willing to pay for? I don't neccessarily mean transfer fees but salary.

Thecat23
12-05-2014, 11:40 AM
How many of those would the board be willing to pay for? I don't neccessarily mean transfer fees but salary.

I've no idea, I just know TB sat with them a while back and said these players are top of my list to sign.

Paloschi
12-05-2014, 11:44 AM

I actually think that even if we do go down we will be able to sign some these players as the size of club and the level of the competition in the championship is arguably better than the SPFL next season. We have a great shout of winning it ahead of Hearts and Rangers if the right players are brought in.

I keep hearing that we have tied up a few deals. Is this true?

Weir7
12-05-2014, 11:50 AM

nobody plays hoofball in the world cup

matty_f
12-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Well he might learn something then.

Thecat23
12-05-2014, 11:57 AM
I actually think that even if we do go down we will be able to sign some these players as the size of club and the level of the competition in the championship is arguably better than the SPFL next season. We have a great shout of winning it ahead of Hearts and Rangers if the right players are brought in.

I keep hearing that we have tied up a few deals. Is this true?

I'll try find out but as far as I'm aware no deals have actually been signed off. Maybe agreed in principle though. I know we have looked at 2 strikers from England.

Stevie Reid
12-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't trust Butcher in the market for such vast changes this summer in any case. They have been much derided on here and I'm glad we didn't retain any of them, but the likes of Doherty, Soares and O'Donovan made more of an impact than Butcher's woeful January signings.

Greenworld
12-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Benefit Hibs in being a mid table (if we're lucky) championship club?

I'm sure contacts will be going out their way to help him.

He'll be at the World Cup as Ex-hibs manager anyway.s

Source ..........if only can go right now

The Sea-gull
12-05-2014, 12:12 PM
No issue with TB being at the World Cup working for TV as long as the club have agreed he can do this.

To be honest I have been saying for years that transfer business should be done in the months leading up to the end of the season and ideally now (obviously being in the play off has killed a couple of weeks for us) is the time where the majority of deals should be getting Is dotted and Ts crossed and being announced. When a club reports for it first day of pre-season the majority of the squad for the up and coming season should be in place.

I'm fairly sure Buther is the sort of manager who likes the majority of his business done early and I would not be surprised if there are a number of deals all but signed and awaiting confirmation once we know what league we are in.

If Butcher has put the players he wants for the new season to the board then he has done his job. It is now their job to get the deals done. If we stay up and lose out on targets, much as some folk might want it to be, it is not Butcher's fault. My worry is that it is now down to our board and if previous managers are to be believed, the way the board phanny about with transfers is what loses us player not because our manager choses to have a bit of working holiday for 2 or 3 weeks in June.

GreenLake
12-05-2014, 12:22 PM
If he has media privileges I see this as an opportunity to persuade some aging world cup stars to spend their twilight years at Hibs. Next again season we will be competing in Europe, in a fantastic stadium with World Cup stars in the team. Always in our shadow. :wink:

PatHead
12-05-2014, 12:23 PM
No issue with TB being at the World Cup working for TV as long as the club have agreed he can do this.

To be honest I have been saying for years that transfer business should be done in the months leading up to the end of the season and ideally now (obviously being in the play off has killed a couple of weeks for us) is the time where the majority of deals should be getting Is dotted and Ts crossed and being announced. When a club reports for it first day of pre-season the majority of the squad for the up and coming season should be in place.

I'm fairly sure Buther is the sort of manager who likes the majority of his business done early and I would not be surprised if there are a number of deals all but signed and awaiting confirmation once we know what league we are in.

If Butcher has put the players he wants for the new season to the board then he has done his job. It is now their job to get the deals done. If we stay up and lose out on targets, much as some folk might want it to be, it is not Butcher's fault. My worry is that it is now down to our board and if previous managers are to be believed, the way the board phanny about with transfers is what loses us player not because our manager choses to have a bit of working holiday for 2 or 3 weeks in June.

I assume it will be Leanne Dempster who sorts this all out. Hopefully efficiently unlike the last "leader"

brian6-2
12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
9 targets have been put to the board. It all depends now on staying up if we get these guys. Even if we do will be interesting to see how many of these 9 players we actually get before it's 3rd and 4th

journeymen.

Any truth in the story we offered kris boyd a contract at stobo castle which he accepted on the basis we stay up?

scuttle
12-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Any truth in the story we offered kris boyd a contract at stobo castle which he accepted on the basis we stay up?

I think his reaction when he scored against us answers your question im afraid

Lucius Apuleius
12-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Personally see no problem with him going to the world cup.

The Sea-gull
12-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Do we have something to do with Stobo castle? What has Boyd agreed to do there if we stay up? Brazilian waxes?

Thecat23
12-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Not heard that before and to be honest find it hard to believe.

Jim44
12-05-2014, 01:13 PM

What were Petrie and Boyd doing at Stobo Castle? :greengrin Maybe Peebles Hydro was fully booked.

flash
12-05-2014, 01:35 PM

What a relentless troll you are.

The Green Goblin
12-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Absolutely. Only a good thing for the club to have the manager at a high profile event like the World Cup. Or is it the case that if he is not chained to his desk 24/7 365 days a year at East Mains, then he`s letting us down?

Beefster
12-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Absolutely. Only a good thing for the club to have the manager at a high profile event like the World Cup. Or is it the case that if he is not chained to his desk 24/7 365 days a year at East Mains, then he`s letting us down?

Given the recent hysteria over Butcher visiting England overnight, I think that's a safe assumption to make.

jacomo
12-05-2014, 01:48 PM
:bitchy: Messi has signed for Stranraer - it has been confirmed.

Apparently he was offered to us for £150k and wages 'weren't a problem' - but Rod dithered and we lost out yet again.

FACT.

brian6-2
12-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Not heard that before and to be honest find it hard to believe.

It came from someone i know well who had been told it from the killie chairman.

GreenLake
12-05-2014, 04:48 PM
There will be a lot of wealthy investors at the World Cup who might be keen on becoming a club owner. Butcher might just be remembered enough to be in a position to tout Hibernian FC as a great buying opportunity as the one team in a major European Capital City, soon to be a sovereign capital. Might just be a good time for a pitch with Scotland in the global media. We need to win the playoffs though as Diego Costa, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Xavi Hernandez will never agree to play in the Scottish Championship.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Not surprised if its true .... he probably had this lined up months ago.

Good for the clubs profile to have its manager on national telly ...... mind you, will the English punters be able to take seriously a guy who couldn't ( perhaps ) keep Hibs in the Scottish Premiership?

Hmmmmm

Nailrod
12-05-2014, 05:26 PM
How many of those would the board be willing to pay for? I don't neccessarily mean transfer fees but salary.It's not going to be a case of 'willing to pay for' so much as 'able to pay for'.

Initial discussions about next year's playing budget will have been held against an expectation of strong season ticket sales following a decent league finish - probably top 6 - and a lot of optimism around next season under Terry Butcher.

Given the reality, will we be able to afford even half of them? If we go down, we probably won't be able to afford any.

Greenblood70
12-05-2014, 06:28 PM
He can stay in Brazil as far as I'm concerned. To be serious for a second tho as long as Hibs aren't paying for the trip I couldn't care less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Callum_62
12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Wouldn't trust Butcher in the market for such vast changes this summer in any case.

Why not? I believe he signed a whole new team for ICT one summer window (while spending very minimal)

That turned out no too bad

Stevie Reid
12-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Why not? I believe he signed a whole new team for ICT one summer window (while spending very minimal)

That turned out no too bad

I gave my reason why not right after the bit you quoted. It's become quite clear that Terry's magic that he (eventually) worked at Caley is extremely unlikely to happen here now.

I dare say that had he began at ICT with the same results that he has had here so far, he wouldn't have been kept on - and that's even taking into account that he got them relegated. He took over Caley in January 2009 when they were 2 points adrift at the bottom of the table, and they were relegated on goal difference.

We were 6th on 15 points from 11 games when Fenlon left - two defeats later Butcher started, and managed 20 points out of a possible 75. Do I trust him to sign a whole team regardless of what division we're in? Not a chance.

Callum_62
12-05-2014, 09:11 PM
I gave my reason why not right after the bit you quoted. It's become quite clear that Terry's magic that he (eventually) worked at Caley is extremely unlikely to happen here now.

I dare say that had he began at ICT with the same results that he has had here so far, he wouldn't have been kept on - and that's even taking into account that he got them relegated. He took over Caley in January 2009 when they were 2 points adrift at the bottom of the table, and they were relegated on goal difference.

We were 6th on 15 points from 11 games when Fenlon left - two defeats later Butcher started, and managed 20 points out of a possible 75. Do I trust him to sign a whole team regardless of what division we're in? Not a chance.

So forget there very very good record when it comes to signing players with ICT, and base it on a one notoriously difficult mid season window?

Stevie Reid
12-05-2014, 09:20 PM
So forget there very very good record when it comes to signing players with ICT, and base it on a one notoriously difficult mid season window?

No, basing it on the fact that he decided not to make signings in January to wait for the summer - something that has backfired spectacularly - and the fact that he alienated some of our more talented players, not to mention the fact that we have been utterly, utterly horrendous since his arrival, both in terms of results and style of play.

What he did at ICT means absolutely nothing - his value to Hibs can only be judged on what he has done since he arrived here, which is make a mess of absolutely everything.

Sometimes things don't work out for managers at certain clubs - our track record of appointing them has proved that, as has Butcher's own chequered CV. Despite being a good appointment on paper, Butcher is not the man for us.

Callum_62
12-05-2014, 09:39 PM
No, basing it on the fact that he decided not to make signings in January to wait for the summer - something that has backfired spectacularly - and the fact that he alienated some of our more talented players, not to mention the fact that we have been utterly, utterly horrendous since his arrival, both in terms of results and style of play.

What he did at ICT means absolutely nothing - his value to Hibs can only be judged on what he has done since he arrived here, which is make a mess of absolutely everything.

Sometimes things don't work out for managers at certain clubs - our track record of appointing them has proved that, as has Butcher's own chequered CV. Despite being a good appointment on paper, Butcher is not the man for us.

Agree to a point - but was it Butcher that only wanted loans in Jan (im sure he wanted Rooney).

You could flip it and ask why has pretty much every manager since Mowbray failed?

Have they all been terrible managers, or is the issue with Hibs?

I think teh restructure that is planned shows Hibs now realise the issue is the club

Id be more than happy to let Butcher have a crack after these changes

Stevie Reid
12-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Agree to a point - but was it Butcher that only wanted loans in Jan (im sure he wanted Rooney).

You could flip it and ask why has pretty much every manager since Mowbray failed?

Have they all been terrible managers, or is the issue with Hibs?

I think teh restructure that is planned shows Hibs now realise the issue is the club

Id be more than happy to let Butcher have a crack after these changes

I know that he missed out on a few targets due to a bit of bad luck in January, but the bottom line is that Butcher clearly thought that the squad was good enough to get by by simply augmenting it with the three loanees - good enough for what I'm not sure, but the target when he took over was top 6 and I'm damn sure he felt that it was (at the very least) enough to comfortably stay in the division.

His logic seemed sound at the time, but given the mess he has made of utilising what was here already, not acquiring more established players in that window has cost us badly, along with his strange handling of players who could, and in some cases have, been of use to us.

The debate about the other managers I have had plenty to say about in many, many other threads - Collins can't be deemed as anything other than a success; Mixu had made a promising start to his managerial career before making mistakes here - he learned from them and went on to be a better manager; Yogi delivered our highest league finish in the last 7 years; Calderwood was a disaster; Fenlon steadied the ship to a considerable degree.

Sadly Butcher looks like he is about to sink it completely.

Thecat23
12-05-2014, 10:01 PM
It came from someone i know well who had been told it from the killie chairman.

Apparently this isn't true bud. I got him to ask and he just got back and said Boyd never spoke about coming to Hibs. This was from Boyd's agent.

This doesn't mean we won't be in for him if we stay up. I'd love him at ER.

wills
12-05-2014, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=StranraerHibee;4009443]:bitchy: Messi has signed for Stranraer - it has been

I heard it was down to wages again ffs

I heard we offered 6 month loan deal

Ronniekirk
13-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Apparently this isn't true bud. I got him to ask and he just got back and said Boyd never spoke about coming to Hibs. This was from Boyd's agent.

This doesn't mean we won't be in for him if we stay up. I'd love him at ER.

Heard from a Killie fan that Boyd is involved in training and having input to their youth teams and that with three games to go he offered to take over the first team but chairman didn't take up offer .Not sure how true ,but would indicate players don't have confidence in Current Manager and therefor he will be moving on unless they offer him playing /coaching Role

Salisbury Hibby
13-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Killie should be very worried at the prospect of next season without Boyd. He's in a terrific bargaining position.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nutmegged
13-05-2014, 07:47 AM
You never know, everyone expected Motherwell to drop like a stone this season due to losing 30 goal Player of the Year Michael Higdon, Nicky Law, Henrik Ojamma, Darren Randolph and Richie Humphries but they've arguably beem even better this term with cheaper replacements.