PDA

View Full Version : Circuit Breaker

brisbanehibs
11-05-2014, 02:34 AM
I hate to say this as someone who thought that TB/MM was the right managerial appointment but I think the club needs a circuit breaker if we are to have any chance of avoiding the drop.

Rod Petrie resigning from the club completely would be good for fan morale (for example, Leanne Dempster's appointment gave us all a boost albeit temporary) and I hope he does the decent thing and ideally soon. This will not, however, help us score goals, open up a defence, defend properly.

If we believe that TB/MM are the right long-term appointment then they should stay and I think we have to accept the likelihood that we will be relegated and deal with it. To support this option there must be a belief that TB/MM have the credentials to successfully rebuild the club from top to bottom.

If there is a belief (which I reluctantly share) that Butcher's performance at the club has undermined any rational argument made for him having the ability to turn the club around, then there is absolute logic in making the decision to sack him and his coaching team immediately. A costly decision for sure but if Rod weighs up the cost of redundancy payments against the cost of going down he may find this makes some sense. While some might believe this is a gamble, I don't believe this argument holds water if the belief is that Butcher is the wrong man long-term. Yes we will have an inexperienced team leading us through the play-offs (I would appoint the U20 coaching staff with support from Alan Maybury as a first team regular) but they literally cannot do any worse than what we have been doing since January so again, no real gamble. Win or lose the play-offs and we have the chance to make a managerial appointment quickly in the summer, with Leanne calling the shots as opposed to Rod and a managerial choice (and budget) made that is appropriate to the division we are in.

I hate the fact I am posting this but having sat through the game last night and seeing the inability to change tactics when Killie found us out midway through the first half (a recurring theme) I think we've made the wrong call. Again. I could weep.