PDA

View Full Version : How much do we miss Hanlon?

neil7908
10-05-2014, 10:11 PM
I know that the majority of our troubles have been in front of goal recently and not saying he would have single handedly saved us from finishing 11th but I've realised how much he brings to our defence since he's been gone.

Always felt he had quite a forceful personality on the pitch - have him as captain over Craig in a heartbeat.

BH Hibs
10-05-2014, 10:14 PM
I know that the majority of our troubles have been in front of goal recently and not saying he would have single handedly saved us from finishing 11th but I've realised how much he brings to our defence since he's been gone.

Always felt he had quite a forceful personality on the pitch - have him as captain over Craig in a heartbeat.

Not as much as we miss Sparky

PatHead
10-05-2014, 10:31 PM

Loads

LaMotta
10-05-2014, 11:56 PM

Think back to the last Kilmarnock match at ER. It wasnt so much Hanlon's goal in that game as the way Boyd barely had a sniff all afternoon.

Saorsa
10-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Really? He used tae have his ain thread on here almost every week (usually by the same experts) telling us how pish he was.

Captain Trips
11-05-2014, 12:41 AM
I am beginning to miss Paul Tosh and Jim Duffy these days.

Pete
11-05-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't think the central defenders are the real problem...it's the wing backs.

They are slow, don't overlap properly, telegraph their intentions and can't put decent crosses into the box. They get caught upfield and make our centre halves look like idiots trying to cover for them, Hanlon included.

I think part of Butchers philosophy is having pacey, strong wing backs and right now we simply don't have that. I bet this is the first area he looks at.

Nutmegged
11-05-2014, 03:07 AM
Hanlon is a huge miss, in a way its good that he's been missing though, not for the team but his loss has shown us how badly we need him, he's not perfect and their is still obviously room for improvement but he is far superior to anyone else in that position, if he had a big Rob Jones type to partner him he'd come on leaps and bounds too

hibbymick
11-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I thought We were just as bad as We are now with hanlon in the team.

matty_f
11-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Hanlon, Heffernan, Thomson, Robertson, McPake, (and, unfortunately, so on...) have been hugely missed this season. Along with Peter Douglas's point about the wing-backs, there's the reason for our demise as much as anything either Fenlon or Butcher did.

Steven_Hibs
11-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Hanlon is brutal. We conceded goals exactly the same with him in the team than not

HH81
11-05-2014, 09:23 AM
He is just as much to blame for this season as all the other players.

would Hibs have won with him in the team? Very much doubt it.

bookert
11-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Miss him terribly, pace and composure missing at back since he was imjured

TheFamous1875
11-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Miss him terribly, pace and composure missing at back since he was imjured

Exactly. How people can say we haven't missed him is risible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mentalhibee
11-05-2014, 09:41 AM
He's our best player, so we miss him a lot.

Aldo
11-05-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't know how anyone can say we haven't missed Hanlon.

Best CH at the club. So would those doubters prefer Nelson or Hanlon.

Hanlon along with a few others seem to get a hard time on here.

Ever player is culpable for our current situation but to suggest that Hanlon wouldn't of made a difference is galling.

My opinion mind!!

HH81
11-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Exactly. How people can say we haven't missed him is risible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Had a few freebies for championship, league 1 and conf games this season. He would just about get in a conf or league 2 team none higher. The fact were just as bad with him in the team says it all.

Saorsa
11-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Had a few freebies for championship, league 1 and conf games this season. He would just about get in a conf or league 2 team none higher. The fact were just as bad with him in the team says it all.baws

truehibernian
11-05-2014, 09:57 AM
We've definitely missed him. I also heard a sadly lamentable story about his injury and who paid (or was going to have to) for the surgery. Sums up the club for me. They really are not a 'family club' when a player actually needs them.

seanshow
11-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Best CH at the club.
Damned with faint praise, amongst this shower of wasters. :cb

In an ideal world he would be on the bench as cover for the main central defenders.
He is ok defending the box, but he can quite often get caught out of position elsewhere, and also to easily brushed a side as we've seen time and time again.
........A good Hibby which helps, but this is no place for sentimentality.

Bleeds green
11-05-2014, 09:59 AM
MASSIVE MISS!!! Loves the club and will be sick that this has mostly happened while he's been out injured.....u don't no what uv got til it's missing eh!

TheFamous1875
11-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Had a few freebies for championship, league 1 and conf games this season. He would just about get in a conf or league 2 team none higher. The fact were just as bad with him in the team says it all.

Maybe the standard in League One and Conference is higher than it's reputed?

Paul Hanlon is a very good player with a lot of qualities. He's getting better every year. I don't think he's the next Maldini, but put him alongside a very good centre-half and I think he'd really step up a level.

Paul needs to play alongside someone that he can build a rapport with, someone on his level that he can trust to do his job, and vice-versa. He's spent most of his career covering for haphazard partners (O'Hanlon, Stephens) and he's earned the right to play alongside someone that he can strike a good quality partnership with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Bleeds green
11-05-2014, 10:18 AM
^^^ superb post

Scottie
11-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Jesus Christ
Hanlon made Sean o'Hanlon look like a world class defender

It shows you how far our standards have slipped if we all think Hanlon is a miss at CH. Granted better than Nelson or McGivern but FFS ma granny was a better player than the three put together.

Nutmegged
11-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Absolute nonsense