PDA

View Full Version : Team for the play-off?

MyJo
10-05-2014, 10:03 PM
________________Williams

Maybury_____McPake_____Nelson_____McGivern

Stanton___Robertson____Thomson____Stevenson

__________Cummings___Heffernan

edinburghhibee
10-05-2014, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't drop Forster from the team, at the moment he looks our best chance of a goal from corners. I'd move him out to right back tho.

fife hfc
10-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I would not have Nelson or Robertson near the team. Other than that you could not put a case for any player as they have all under performed.

Williams

maybury
Forster
Mcpake
Mcgivern

watmore
Stevenson
Thomson
Harris

Cummings
Heffernan

Only got that defence as I've not got a clue who else could play.

hfcok
10-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeh Forster is the best right back at the club,thought he was decent when he played there

Amit
10-05-2014, 10:36 PM
GK Williams
RB Maybury
CB McPake
CB Forster
LB McGivern
RM Cairney
CM Robertson
CM Stanton
LM Stevenson
FW Cummings
FW Heffernan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Up The Bracket
10-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
McGivern
Stevenson

Harris
Robertson
Stanton
Craig

Collins
Heffernan

Amit
10-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Craig at LM just invites teams to attack that wing as he drifts in to the middle and offers no protection to our left back.

Hibeesmad
10-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
McPake
McGivern

Watmore
Robertson
Thomson
Stevenson

Stanton

Heffernan

Michael
10-05-2014, 11:01 PM
I would not have Nelson or Robertson near the team. Other than that you could not put a case for any player as they have all under performed.

Williams

maybury
Forster
Mcpake
Mcgivern

watmore
Stevenson
Thomson
Harris

Cummings
Heffernan

Only got that defence as I've not got a clue who else could play.

You wouldn't have our best midfielder in the team?

truehibernian
10-05-2014, 11:06 PM
McGivern, Nelson and Craig would be nowhere near my squad let alone team.

Horribine, Thomson, Robbo and Harris........that's my midfield.......Black, Forster, Maybury and Baptie my defence......Cummings and Heffernan up top.

Stanton looked weak and drained today, he needs a rest. Watmore flattered to deceive again for me. Too much head down and not up.

Nelson and Craig can just f off and never ever come back - hopeless players.

fife hfc
10-05-2014, 11:32 PM
You wouldn't have our best midfielder in the team?

maybe pre-injury he was our best midfielder but imho he is way off the pace and struggling to get back to his previous form. So at the moment my central midfield two would be Thomson and stevenson. both are composed on the ball and try to play football. So yes i would drop Robertson.

500miles
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't change the team that much, because our performance was fine. It's just getting the ball in the back of the net, and I don't feel that any striker is more likely to achieve that than one of Heffernan and Collins.

hibs4thecup1988
11-05-2014, 08:00 AM
maybe pre-injury he was our best midfielder but imho he is way off the pace and struggling to get back to his previous form. So at the moment my central midfield two would be Thomson and stevenson. both are composed on the ball and try to play football. So yes i would drop Robertson.

But you keep a guy in the team that can't pass cross or defend. Ryan man city mcgivern.

Robertson is the best midfielder at the club by a mile.

Got to hope hanlon mcpake and Thomson are fit for these two games.

Matt92
11-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Williams

Maybury McPake Forster Stevenson

Harris Robertson Thomson Watmore

Cummings Heffernan

Need a team that will put up a fight. Give Stanton a break for the first game. Don't want James Collins to play for us again.

lucky
11-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Williams

Maybury, been our best player in recent weeks
Nelson , his passing is poor but he tries
McPake or Hanlon, whoever is fit
Stevenson

Craig
KT
Stanton
Harris

Heff
Collins

Forster does well in the opponents box but he has cost us a goal week after week
McGirven he is just a poor defender
Robbo needs time to get fit

one day maybe...
11-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Butcher should be playing a bounce game the pish that he puts on the park every week against the under 20's. Love to know what the outcome would be. See what players have the drive and the guts to get us through these two games.

AlbertK86
11-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
McPake
McGivern

Cairney
Robertson
Thomson if fit - if not Stanton
Stevenson

Craig

Collins

Heff is a goal scorer but our style does not suit his ... Every ball yesterday went long and high to him so no point in him being there

Craig is about the only one who hits the ball cleanly and with any power and accuracy when shooting so I would move him right behind Collins.

Earlier post was spot on that he kept drying central and we were totally exposed where he should have been.

Stanton needs a rest but also suffers from our long ball style. Could make an impact of bench in role behind Collins

Subs

Murdoch
Nelson .... Only asset is dangerous at set pieces
Cummings
Heffernan
Watmore
Harris
Stanton

fife hfc
11-05-2014, 08:56 AM
But you keep a guy in the team that can't pass cross or defend. Ryan man city mcgivern.

Robertson is the best midfielder at the club by a mile.

Got to hope hanlon mcpake and Thomson are fit for these two games.

Mcgivern is still in my team as in my opinion there is no viable alternative if, as I believe the best pair for central midfield is Thomson and Stevenson. There are a number of players I would not play but I can't see who can replace them with. If Hanlon is fit then that would change the defence as Forster would move to right back. As for Robertson he aas our best midfielder pre injury but I believe is not anywhere near that level and we have better alternatives available.

In the end the team Butcher picks will include Nelson, Mcgivern, Craig and Maybury players that alot of people would not have in the team. So this thread will not be realistic. I would have Cairney in my team (I forgot about him) but by the looks of it Butcher will not even have him on the bench.

Sammy7nil
11-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Mcgivern is still in my team as in my opinion there is no viable alternative if, as I believe the best pair for central midfield is Thomson and Stevenson. There are a number of players I would not play but I can't see who can replace them with. If Hanlon is fit then that would change the defence as Forster would move to right back. As for Robertson he aas our best midfielder pre injury but I believe is not anywhere near that level and we have better alternatives available.

In the end the team Butcher picks will include Nelson, Mcgivern, Craig and Maybury players that alot of people would not have in the team. So this thread will not be realistic. I would have Cairney in my team (I forgot about him) but by the looks of it Butcher will not even have him on the bench.

I accept there may be a lack of alternatives BUT McGivern is the weakest link in the team closely followed by Nelson.
If Hibs are to win the playoffs Butcher should be working on a system that does not included those two. Stevenson at LB is a far bettr option than McGivern and he cares about Hibs and wants to win. Robertson must play.

coldingham hibs
11-05-2014, 10:40 AM
I accept there may be a lack of alternatives BUT McGivern is the weakest link in the team closely followed by Nelson.
If Hibs are to win the playoffs Butcher should be working on a system that does not included those two. Stevenson at LB is a far bettr option than McGivern and he cares about Hibs and wants to win. Robertson must play.

I must have watched a different game yesterday but I thought McGivern played decent and was always looking to get the ball, fair enough his balls in the box were not great but I certainly thought he was the best of the back four.

coldingham hibs
11-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Butcher should be playing a bounce game the pish that he puts on the park every week against the under 20's. Love to know what the outcome would be. See what players have the drive and the guts to get us through these two games.

Not a bad idea actually, some of the U20's might prove superior. Let the crowd in free so we can witness what goes on.

Stuarty27
11-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Williams
Foster
Mcpake
Nelson
Booth

Harris
Thomson
Robertson
Whatmore

Cummings
Hefferman

Amit
11-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Updated my starting XI.

GK Williams
RB Maybury
CB McPake
CB Forster
LB Booth
RM Cairney
CM Robertson
CM Stanton
LM Stevenson
FW Cummings
FW Heffernan

cmcd
11-05-2014, 12:04 PM
I must have watched a different game yesterday but I thought McGivern played decent and was always looking to get the ball, fair enough his balls in the box were not great but I certainly thought he was the best of the back four.
Mcgivern is one of the worst defenders i have ever seen at ER and his posing on the half way line at the end of yesterdays game was pathetic I know football is all about opinions but i just cant understand why so many people want him in our team RANT OVER

andrew70
11-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Williams

Maybury
Forster
McGivern
Booth

Watmore
Robertson
Thomson
Stevenson

Handling
Cummings

Heisenberg
11-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Williams

Black
Mcpake
Mcgivern
Booth

Harris
Robertson
Thomson
Stevenson

Cummings
Heffernan

The Leith Dutch
11-05-2014, 12:33 PM

It's something I can't quite get my head around:
McGivern, ignoring his defensive issues, regularly gets into a position to put a cross in - often with time.
Why is he not being kept behind in training until he can land it in a decent area most of the time?

I'm not imagining we'll get Beckham quality but maybe we could hope for in play within 10 yards of a green jersey.....

fife hfc
11-05-2014, 12:35 PM
I would be very surprised if Booth is able to play. If he can I would have him in place of Mcgivern as has played against both teams this season, but even if he can I would be surprised if Butcher played him.

TheFamous1875
11-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Without knowing who we're up against:

Williams.

Maybury. Forster. McPake. Booth.

Thomson. Stevenson.

Watmore. Stanton. Craig.

Heffernan.

Harris, Cairney and Cummings coming off the bench at the right times to attack (fat chance).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cleanyman
11-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm sure we'd all rather play Falkirk.

6 games in such a short space of time will be tough for such a young team, plus they play good football and would tear us apart.

As for Hamilton...they score for fun and Antoine Curier will have a point to prove while Jason Scotland has always haunted us.

Cairney and McPake have to start for me.

flash
11-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Can any of our in the know guys tell us if KT has a chance of making it?

bod
11-05-2014, 12:42 PM
with the games over a week away its too early for me to predict my team plus we don't know who were playing yet

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Williams
Forster McPake McGivern Booth
Cairney Thomson Robertson Stanton
Heffernan Cummungs

sesoim
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Williams
Nelson McPake McGivern
Forster Robertson Thomson Craig Booth
Harris Heffernan

It depends who we play and what system they use, but I'd like to play a 3-5-2. Nelson is unreliable in a back four, but maybe McPake could mop up his mistakes. Forster and Booth are both good going forward, so a 3-5-2 would release them to do that. Also, we'd effectively have a five man midfield which would allow us to get a grip on the game there. And I'd give Harris a free role to dribble and shoot on sight, with Heffernan being ordered to stay up front.

The Utility Man
11-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Williams

Black
Boateng
Hanlon if fit/ McGivern
Baptie

Cairney
Thomson
Smith
Harris

Cummings
OTJ

Sir David Gray
11-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Williams

Black
Boateng
Hanlon if fit/ McGivern
Baptie

Cairney
Thomson
Smith
Harris

Cummings
OTJ

I assume you're joking?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Williams

Black
Boateng
Hanlon if fit/ McGivern
Baptie

Cairney
Thomson
Smith
Harris

Cummings
OTJ

:faf:

Hamish
11-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I assume you're joking?

The number of posts would lead one to assume so.

Or he supports the definitely relegated team.

Brightside
11-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Murdoch
Maybury
Forster
A Manniquin
Stevenson

Taiwo

Robertson Stanton Craig

Watmore Cummings

NAE NOOKIE
11-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Williams

Maybury
McPake
Nelson
McGivern

Only coz I cant think of a combination of defenders who wouldn't be as bad.

Thomson
Robertson
Stanton
Harris

Heffernan
Forster ............. The best striker we have, wasted in the back 4. If we remain determined to just lump the ball into the box we might as well have someone up front who can get his head on it.

Subs .... Carney, Collins, Watmore, Stevenson, Cummins ..... though I have to say if me and him had the next 10 games I'd be more likely to score, the poor wee bugger cant buy a goal.

No Laim Craig coz he brings little or nothing to the table ..... I'm very sorry to say

Baker9
11-05-2014, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't change the team that much, because our performance was fine. It's just getting the ball in the back of the net, and I don't feel that any striker is more likely to achieve that than one of Heffernan and Collins.
Agree entirely. Harris, Handling, Cummings are for the future. They have had plenty of chances and we must go with experience up front backed by Robertson and Craig. I would play OTJ as well:

Forster at right back, Lewis at left back, McPake and Nelson ln the middle.
Robertson, OTJ, Stanton, Craig.
Collins, Heffernan

No kids other than Stanton, no matter how hard they try.

lumbo_hfc
11-05-2014, 05:48 PM
[/B]
Agree entirely. Harris, Handling, Cummings are for the future. They have had plenty of chances and we must go with experience up front backed by Robertson and Craig. I would play OTJ as well:

Forster at right back, Lewis at left back, McPake and Nelson ln the middle.
Robertson, OTJ, Stanton, Craig.
Collins, Heffernan

No kids other than Stanton, no matter how hard they try.
One of the mains reasons we lost yesterday was because we played Liam Craig ( clearly a centre midfielder) on the left, leaving McGivern exposed time after time and you want to play 2 central players out wide???

After yesterday i never want to see stanton play in a 2 in the centre of the park again, has no legs and the game passed him by after his first 10-15 minute.

It won't be the team because Butcher has his favourite but i would go with....

Williams
Maybury (my motm yesterday)
Forster
McPake
McGivern

Watmore R
Thomson
Robertson
Harris L

Stanton (playing off, but much closer than normal)
Heff/Collins

Cairney, Cummins, Zoubir all in squad to potentially change game

Up The Bracket
11-05-2014, 06:15 PM
It's threads like these that make me realise, we could definitely have worse managers than what we have, deary dear.

emerald green
11-05-2014, 06:17 PM
williams

black
boateng
hanlon if fit/ mcgivern
baptie

cairney
thomson
smith
harris

cummings
otj

ltyf.

pontius pilate
11-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Williams
Forster
McPake
Hanlon if fit/OTJ
Stevenson/Booth

Thomson

Watmore
Stanton
Stevenson if not at L/B
Cairney

Heff

subs:
Murdoch
Nelson
Maybury
Zoubir
Handling
Collins

Stevie Reid
11-05-2014, 09:10 PM
In all five of our wins under Butcher this season, Stevenson has played left midfield. That said, I'd be tempted to play him at LB and have McPake and McGivern in the middle, with Forster RB - though I'd like to have Maybury's experience in there too. Maybe Maybury at LB, with Stevenson at left mid.

**** knows though, I'm seriously concerned regardless of who we face.

Danderhall Hibs
11-05-2014, 09:14 PM
It's threads like these that make me realise, we could definitely have worse managers than what we have, deary dear.

I know Ive said and thought this many a time.

When the untried formations and untested under 20s and untried combinations come out like its a championship manager pre season friendly you know the games a bogey.

Unfortunately some of them are genuine Hibs fans - you should hear some of the crap that's shouted round about me at the matches.

Pretty Boy
11-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Williams

Maybury
Nelson
McPake
McGivern

Watmore
Stanton
Robertson
Stevenson

Heffernan
Collins

B.H.F.C
11-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Heffernan was clearly unfit yesterday. Hopefully having 90 minutes in the tank plus a good weeks training in him should see him being a lot sharper by next Wednesday. If we do manage to create a chance somewhere he's the one I'd want it to fall to.

As for the rest of the team Thomson would be the first name on my team sheet if fit. I'd also play Scott Robertson. Other than that you could stick all the names in a hat for me. That's what Terry does anyway.

Dont think the team will be particularly attack minded. No danger can we come back to Easter Road behind. Can you imagine this lot trying to chase it in the second leg?

IberianHibernian
11-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Would imagine team in second leg will be very different from first match whatever result .Lots of question marks about ftness ( KT , Robertson , Heff , and others ) and motivation ( how motivated would Taiwo or Zoubir be for example - is Zoubir even still with us ? ) . Will any U20 players be introduced ? Will loan players still be available and would they be motivated ? Boateng has hardly played for us ( why ? ) and Haynes hasn`t had much of a chance either so will they be motivated ? Watmore is fast but his passing yesterday was awful so can`t imagine him playing except as a sub since Hamilton / Falkirk will have sussed him already . Possibility of injuries and suspensions ( any one 1 card off suspension ? ) may also affect first leg selection . Can think of team for home match if we`re behind or only level but for first match it`s much harder since Harris could be crucial at home ( looked good in 12 minutes yesterday ) but might not do much away . Big advantage we have is number of players we have but that assumes all the players are fit and motivated .

GGTTH07
12-05-2014, 12:39 AM
________________Williams

Maybury_____McPake_____Nelson_____McGivern

Stanton___Robertson____Thomson____Stevenson

__________Cummings___Heffernan
Stanton on the right is a good idea IMO. Put stevenson LB, drop McGivern, put harris in and thatd be my team. Saying that, if be tempted to play forster RB.

KWJ
12-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Williams

Stevenson
McPake
Forster/Hanlon
Forster/Maybury

Stanton
Robertson
Thomson

Craig

Collins
The Heff

Macaroon
12-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Williams
RB Forster
CB McPake
CB Nelson
LB McGivern

LM Craig
CM Thomson
CM Robertson
RM Harris

ST Heffernan
ST Cummings

Or take out cumming an play Stanton as centre forward/ attacking mid.

RIP
12-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Paul Cairney please

Gustavo Fring
12-05-2014, 06:38 AM
williams

forster
mcpake
nelson
stevenson

harris
jones
robertson
stanton

heffernan
cummings

eastterrace
12-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Paul Cairney please

cairney is ofski so dont see him wanting to bust a gut to keep us up

spike220
12-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Williams
RB Forster
CB McPake
CB Nelson
LB McGivern

LM Craig
CM Thomson
CM Robertson
RM Harris

ST Heffernan
ST Cummings

Or take out cumming an play Stanton as centre forward/ attacking mid.

Yes I like this.

Start with:

---------------------Williams------------------------

Forster---------McPake--------Nelson-------McGivern

Harris-------Thomson-------Robertson-----------Craig

---------------------Stanton-------------------------

-----------------Heffernan----------------------------

WeegieHibby
12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Williams

Maybury Mcpake Foster Stevension

Harris Taiwo T-Jones Craig

Stanton

Cummings

I am in no way passionate that this is the way he should line-up. He could swap about some dross on this line-up and put in equal dross and it you could then argue all day about what was better - no on would know.

For me, McGivern needs to be out the team. Craig doesnt offer any protection to him, but his in-ability to send a simple pass, but instead blooter the ball 30 yards every time he has it, breaks down everything on the left.

To be honest, iv not seen enough of this "next big thing" tag that stanton has earned. Im not going to kick a youngster, but I think the responsibility of being in the heart of things in centre mid, is too much. Let him roam a bit, cover less, and think about going forward. Should get the best out of him that way.

The Utility Man
12-05-2014, 08:29 AM
In my earlier post I was having a joke but I really couldn't pick a team that I know would give 100% and give us an end product to go with it. I will support whatever drivel Butcher puts out. Surely we won't go down:confused:

MacGruber
13-05-2014, 06:48 AM
I would risk McPake. The risk isn't bringing someone in to a well drilled functioning defence, we are losing soft goals though the middle on a game by game basis. It's a chance to improve the defence whereas if it backfires it's just the status quo.

Also, for the first game I'd play 4-5-1. Would play 4-4-2 at Easter Road (unless in the unlikely event we win the first game by a couple then retain 4-5-1). Horses for courses.

Away

...............................Williams

..........Foster.. . McPake....Nelson.......McGivern

Stanton.. Robertson...Thomson....Craig.... Stevenson

...........................Heffernan.............. .............

Bring on Harris for Stevenson

Home

.....................Williams

Foster......McPake......Nelson........Stevenson

Stanton.... Robertson... Thomson.....Craig

............Heffernan.... Cummings

Bringing on Harris or Collins if needing to push on for goals

Bringing on OTJ or Tiawo if protecting the lead

* OTJ to push for goals doesn't work.

Steve20
13-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Williams

Maybury
Forster (would prefer him at right back, but no-one else to play in centre defence)
McPake (Not match fit, but Nelson is a complete liability)
Booth (Can he play these games?)

Cairney
Thomson
Robertson
Stevenson

Collins
Heffernan

Speedway
13-05-2014, 09:15 AM
No-one thought of putting Maybury on the left?

Williams

Forster
McPake
Hanlon
Maybury

Cairney
Robertson
Thomson
Stevenson

The Heff
Cummings

Stevie Reid
13-05-2014, 03:27 PM

I suggested it a few posts back.

dmc1875
13-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Williams

Forster
Nelson
McPake
McGivern

Cairney
Thomson
Robertson
Stevenson

Heffernan
Collins

Billy Whizz
13-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Is Ross Caldwell available for selection?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-05-2014, 05:48 PM

Williams

Forster
McPake
Hanlon
Maybury

Cairney
Robertson
Thomson
Stevenson

The Heff
Cummings

Clear your PM's mate.

Unseen work
13-05-2014, 06:03 PM
I can't beleive the amount of people leaving Stanton out the team! Id go for

Williams

Forster
Mcpake
Mcgivern
Stevenson

Robertson
Thomson
Stanton
Craig

Cummings
Heffernan

On paper might look quite a flat midfield but robertsons energy and workrate on the wing would be hard to deal with and help defensively, also Jordan would overlap. 2 of out biggest goal threats IMO.

Thomson and Stanton comfortable on the ball and both capable of controlling the game

Craig on th left as I feel he's came very close to scoring and has been a lot better in recent weeks

Also laugh at people that say what subs to make in which minute, impossible to say which subs to use until the game unfolds.

However a bench of

Murdoch
Maybury
Otj
Collins
Handling
Harris
Watmore

Looks strong and still have guys like Haynes etc.

danhibees1875
13-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Williams

Maybury
Mcpake
Forster
Stevenson

Thomson

Stanton
Robertson
Craig

Collins
Heff

yekimevol
13-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Williams
Tawio Mcpake Mcgriven Stevenson
Watmore KT Robbo Harris
Collins Foster

Tawio over maybury due to tawio being quicker and reasonable at putting a foot in, Mcgriven over Nelson as he has the ability to pass the ball short instead of the 70 yard punt up the park and finally Foster up top to provide a target-man to win butchers long balls,

rcarter1
13-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Williams

Maybury
Mcpake/Nelson
Forster
Stevenson

Thomson

Stanton
Robertson
Harris

Craig

Cummings/Collins

McPake if fit and ready, Nelson otherwise - but told to distribute wide instead of hoof.
Thomson as defensive cover and to feed the midfield.

Between Thomson, Stanton, Robertson, and Craig, these guys should work the centre, with Craig looking to support the striker. Craig hasn't been my favourite player, but considering our ability in front of goal, surely getting him into shooting positions is a must. Almost the second striker.
Cummings told to do the hard shift up front, trying to bring in support when possible. Harris to be given a free role, giving width either left or right where appropriate.

Comiston Hibee
14-05-2014, 12:49 PM
4-2-3-1

GK Williams

RB Forster
CB McGivern
CB McPake
LB Stevenson

Holding Mid -Thomson
Holding Mid - Robertson

LM -Craig
CM -Stanton
RM - Harris

CF - Heffernan but only if we don't boot it high and hopeful the whole time otherwise Collins or Haynes

FromTheCapital
15-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Williams

Forster
McPake
McGivern
Stevenson

Harris
Robertson
Thomson
Stanton

Heffernan