PDA

View Full Version : John Collins SOS

Bleeds green
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Get him in next season get Petrie out let him structure top to bottom and weed all the sad pathetic weak losers we have collected over the last 7 years.....not realistic but we need something at the club

scuttle
10-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Get him in next season get Petrie out let him structure top to bottom and weed all the sad pathetic weak losers we have collected over the last 7 years.....not realistic but we need something at the club

Do you honestly think he would come back with Petrie still at the club?

Bleeds green
10-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Do you honestly think he would come back with Petrie still at the club?

No that's why I said get him in an Petrie out

Gala Foxes
10-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Collins sussed the lack of a professional approach / attitude at Hibs 7 years ago, he wasnt backed and we are where we are - a complete shambles

TheFamous1875
10-05-2014, 09:00 PM
I'd love it if we had his philosophies embedded into our club's structure. The football on the deck, the tip-top fitness regimes coupled with his network on the continent. We'd definitely be a step ahead if these ideas were implemented throughout the club as a constant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir David Gray
10-05-2014, 09:03 PM
What has John Collins done as a manager since he left us six and a half years ago to merit being considered as a suitable replacement as manager?

I have nothing personal against him but he's been in the managerial wilderness ever since he left us, barring a short spell in Belgium.

scuttle
10-05-2014, 09:03 PM
No that's why I said get him in an Petrie out

Apologies jumped in too quick without reading through

Gerard
10-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I think had JC stayed at Hibs we would be in the top six of the SPL in most seasons. Won more silverware. We have a manager in TB who should be given at least another year to develop his team. Hibs need stability and perhaps time for a new owner. Hibs owe a great deal to STF and without him there would probably be no Hibs, perhaps it is time for a new owner and change in direction at the club.

3pm
10-05-2014, 09:06 PM

An I thought I was wrecked.

Michael
10-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Fantastic player, but he doesn't have the right mindset to be a successful manager. That's what the timing of his resignation says to me anyway.

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Last manager to win us a cup & in style (funnily enough against todays opponents), yet never will get the respect he deserves IMHO.

Ozyhibby
10-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Last manager to win us a cup & in style (funnily enough against todays opponents), yet never will get the respect he deserves IMHO.

That's what happens when you split at the first sign of trouble.
He's now unemployable.

Hero76
10-05-2014, 09:15 PM

yeah the same manager that couldn't beat Dunfie (over 2 games) in the Scottish a fortnight later.

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2014, 09:15 PM
That's what happens when you split at the first sign of trouble.
He's now unemployable.

Or not getting enough of player sales income?

TornadoHibby
10-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Collins sussed the lack of a professional approach / attitude at Hibs 7 years ago, he wasnt backed and we are where we are - a complete shambles

I'd love it if we had his philosophies embedded into our club's structure. The football on the deck, the tip-top fitness regimes coupled with his network on the continent. We'd definitely be a step ahead if these ideas were implemented throughout the club as a constant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:top marks

Not sure if he is actively seeking employment but we should sound him out on it IMO!

jeffers
10-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Or not getting enough of player sales income?

Given the absolute dross he signed with the money he did have, he rightly wasn't given any more.

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2014, 09:17 PM
yeah the same manager that couldn't beat Dunfie (over 2 games) in the Scottish a fortnight later.

So the Dons should sack McIness?

He won our last trophy. Respect IMO

Greencore
10-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Won the league cup with mowbrays team, gets all the credit.... Butcher is making us fail with Fenlons team gets all the credit not Fenlon.

Hero76
10-05-2014, 09:20 PM
So the Dons should sack McIness?

He won our last trophy. Respect IMO

respect is due mate no doubt but lets not make collins out to be some super manager, he was far from it. Just look at some of his signings.

We should have been horsing dunfie in that semi... no excuses.

john18722
10-05-2014, 09:22 PM
He also made some horrendous signings and those signings were the start of the downward spiral that we have been on since 2007 cup win.

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2014, 09:23 PM
respect is due mate no doubt but lets not make collins out to be some super manager, he was far from it. Just look at some of his signings.

Agree, some poor signings. But compared to what we suffer now :(
Mixu wasnt good enough or Yogi. Look at us now.

Collins came in BEFORE Hearts Qtr final, 82% game. Bad times eh

Michael
10-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Won the league cup with mowbrays team, gets all the credit.... Butcher is making us fail with Fenlons team gets all the credit not Fenlon.

But Fenlon was doing better with Fenlon's team!

jacomo
10-05-2014, 09:34 PM
What has John Collins done as a manager since he left us six and a half years ago to merit being considered as a suitable replacement as manager?

I have nothing personal against him but he's been in the managerial wilderness ever since he left us, barring a short spell in Belgium.

Aye, but he had the right ideas for us. We'd need a proper scouting network to identify decent signings mind.

500miles
10-05-2014, 09:35 PM
It wasn't bad enough that we were losing the golden generation, JC then chose to marginalise the best of the rest of the squad as well.

John Collins is a self interested, self obsessed tit. He's a clever guy, who is well connected in football terms, but can't pick a player, and his personality is entirely counter productive to making it in management.

He is actually as much to blame as any manager of the past 7 years for the predicament we find ourselves. He left Mixu a totally broken dressing room, but with promises of this and that still ringing in the ears of the support.

southern hibby
10-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I said I'n another thread get JC I'n to be used with Butcher for tactics. I watched jibs change formation 4/5 times I'n the one Galway Easter Road against Celtic and Strachan couldn't keep up.

Mind set he was miles ahead of Scottish football In fitness and dietary pholosophy. Couldn't pick deceant players but definately could set up a team and change it.

I believe him Butcher and Malpas would have the makings of a great partnership, especially if it means Petrie has to go and we cannot afford to pay of Butcher.

Will it happen, not a chance but I can live I'n hope and ( probably will being a hibby ) die I'n dispare. GGTTH

hibsbollah
10-05-2014, 09:43 PM
He is actually as much to blame as any manager of the past 7 years for the predicament we find ourselves..

Your post was full of questionable opinions but the bit above is just ridiculous :hilarious

Why Collins and his league cup winning team of 2007 are to blame for the farcical team we have SEVEN years later I can only begin to guess.

500miles
10-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Your post was full of questionable opinions but the bit above is just ridiculous :hilarious

Why Collins and his league cup winning team of 2007 are to blame for the farcical team we have SEVEN years later I can only begin to guess.

Because it was him that kicked off the deterioration.

We were resigned to losing Thomson and Brown etc. However, we didn't need to lose Stewart and Sproule. Just after Mixu left, Nish was talking about the way Mixu had only just started to reunite the dressing room - when he walked in it was the most fractured he had ever seen. That caused HUGE problems, and of course, Mixu got chucked (for no good reason) and we had to start again, with a totally different strategy. Our problems with management have rumbled on ever since.

Greenblood70
10-05-2014, 10:32 PM
It wasn't bad enough that we were losing the golden generation, JC then chose to marginalise the best of the rest of the squad as well.

John Collins is a self interested, self obsessed tit. He's a clever guy, who is well connected in football terms, but can't pick a player, and his personality is entirely counter productive to making it in management.

He is actually as much to blame as any manager of the past 7 years for the predicament we find ourselves. He left Mixu a totally broken dressing room, but with promises of this and that still ringing in the ears of the support.

Disagree with virtually all of this. It reads as if you have a personal dislike of Collins.

macd123
10-05-2014, 10:40 PM
JC definitely deserves some blame. He was a decent coach and coached the team mowbray assembled to the league cup and will always thank him for that.

But he had no scouting network and he signed the worst players of any hibs manager in living memory. Bold statement but who has been worse than this list?

Brian kerr
Alan obrien
Patrick noubissie
Thierry gathuessi
Antoine-courier
Makalambay

To be fair to JC he still coached those misfits to a higher league finish than butcher and malpas and no doubt he would get more out of this group. I think if he was first team coach under fenlon instead of jimmy nicholl things might be different now but can't see him as manager in his own right. He is still a legend though.

Cameron1875
10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Will always remember the CIS cup win and he's a good Hibs man but never a manager.

Started the decline in calibre of player at this club which hasn't stopped since. Some of the names listed in the post above mine are honking!

Steve-O
10-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Another great man manager, just what we need. NOT

500miles
10-05-2014, 11:30 PM
JC definitely deserves some blame. He was a decent coach and coached the team mowbray assembled to the league cup and will always thank him for that.

But he had no scouting network and he signed the worst players of any hibs manager in living memory. Bold statement but who has been worse than this list?

Brian kerr
Alan obrien
Patrick noubissie
Thierry gathuessi
Antoine-courier
Makalambay

To be fair to JC he still coached those misfits to a higher league finish than butcher and malpas and no doubt he would get more out of this group. I think if he was first team coach under fenlon instead of jimmy nicholl things might be different now but can't see him as manager in his own right. He is still a legend though.

He didn't. He coached TM's team to a top six finish. Mixu was left with the task of coaching JC's team to a top six finish.

macd123
11-05-2014, 12:32 AM
He didn't. He coached TM's team to a top six finish. Mixu was left with the task of coaching JC's team to a top six finish.

Fair enough. I think mixu was pretty harshly treated. It's funny looking back but i remember him getting stick and press saying he was under pressure after a "dismal run of 5 games without a win".

judas
11-05-2014, 12:18 PM

yep. I agree with that.

southsider
11-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Fantastic player, but he doesn't have the right mindset to be a successful manager. That's what the timing of his resignation says to me anyway.
He quit because he asked Farmer (directly) for funds to push us on when he had already been turned down by Petrie. This was the day our new training centre opened. "stick your team up your arse" was his reply to Farmer whilst again being told "speak to Rod."

The Falcon
11-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Will always remember the CIS cup win and he's a good Hibs man but never a manager.

Started the decline in calibre of player at this club which hasn't stopped since. Some of the names listed in the post above mine are honking!

Celtic man I think. His whole family is Celtic.

The Falcon
11-05-2014, 12:32 PM
He quit because he asked Farmer (directly) for funds to push us on when he had already been turned down by Petrie. This was the day our new training centre opened. "stick your team up your arse" was his reply to Farmer whilst again being told "speak to Rod."

To be fair he didn't use the funds he did get very well.

ballengeich
11-05-2014, 12:38 PM

You're alleging that when Collins had a problem he went to his boss's boss to complain. Interesting.

The Falcon
11-05-2014, 12:42 PM
You're alleging that when Collins had a problem he went to his boss's boss to complain. Interesting.

Should Farmer have even spoke to him? :wink:

onionman
11-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Coaching wise I felt Collins was good. He won that cup with Mowbray's team but I feel he gave them an extra edge physically and mentally.

He signed some complete garbage though and that was a big flaw.

If Collins is ever to be successful IMO it would be in a continental style where the players are brought to the club (by someone with the ability to control a scouting network and make good deals) and his job is solely to coach them. Also I think he would need to improve his diplomacy skills somewhat. Anything else and he is average.

sesoim
11-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Collins would have done a better job at Hibs if he had managed somebody else first. But Hibs was his first job, and he made loads of mistakes in terms of man-management, signings and so on. I don't think anyone deserves to walk into the Hibs manager's job without having already proved themselves somewhere else first, and I don't see why Collins should just walk back into ANY role at the club now.

Anyway, I don't get the big love-in some people have with Collins - he isn't a Pat Stanton or Famous Five type figure who gave all his best years to the club - he left when he was 22 to join Celtic - the club he supported.

erin go bragh
11-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Brian kerr
Alan obrien
Patrick noubissie
Thierry gathuessi
Antoine-courier !!!
Makalambay

Courier scored more goals in his last game for Hamilton than we have managed in our last 6 . Back to the Collins debate . Collins would walk into our midfield just now . So yes id take him back but as a player . Id take back wee Russel too . At least they knew hiw to create chances and finnish them .

Ggtth

Fergus52
11-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Given the absolute dross he signed with the money he did have, he rightly wasn't given any more.

:agree:.

His signings were woeful.

Easily our worst manager in the transfer market of recent years except maybe calderwood.

Peevemor
11-05-2014, 03:56 PM
JC is one of the reasons why we're where we are now.

Gettin' Auld
11-05-2014, 04:33 PM
I'd like to see John Collins in the friggin team, rather than managing it. Even at his age.....

Peevemor
11-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I'd lack to see John Collins in the friggin team, rather than managing it. Even at his age.....

Absolutely.

Brightside
11-05-2014, 04:46 PM
I'd have him in as Director of Football.but i get the impression that is Terry's role.

Peevemor
11-05-2014, 04:54 PM
I'd have him in as Director of Football.but i get the impression that is Terry's role.

Why? To have him shot the crow again when things get tough?

Gettin' Auld
11-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Naw, Terry's role seems to be Director of Hoofball

Hermit Crab
11-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Have you you been drinking? :confused:

Dashing Bob S
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
If he came back, could we get a triple Deeks-Gaz-Kenny Miller strikeforce?

Golden Bear
11-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Why? To have him shot the crow again when things get tough?

I doubt if we'll ever find out the exact circumstances behind his sudden resignation.

I thought at the time JC may have thought that his halo was about to slip but if RP is destined to take a back seat at ER then JC might just be tempted to give it another go.

I'd be delighted if he did.