PDA

View Full Version : Not A Bad Performance

Bronson
10-05-2014, 03:20 PM
We'll play worse than that and win games, first half was some of the best football we've played all season. Second half we drifted off and were pretty disappointing as the game wore on but all we were really lacking today was a Kris Boyd - a goalscorer. He was the difference today.

Play like that first half in the play-offs and we'll be fine IMO.

dmc1875
10-05-2014, 03:22 PM
We've played ok in the last four games and only got one point. Not good signs.

HappyAsHellas
10-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I really felt today that if we'd scored early doors the floodgates would have opened, but it just didn't work out that way. Still feel confident about a team coming from a lower division to a packed Easter Rd which would rattle them. As long as we're strong in the first leg I think we'll do it without too many problems.

Pretty Boy
10-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Do they no say the sign of a good team is one that sctaoes points even when playing poorly?

We are suppossdly playing well yet are losing almost every game.

Quite worrying.

coldingham hibs
10-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Disagree, the first 20 we were decent but after that we were dreadful, no shape, no plan, no movement and a punt up the park everytime. Butcher was tactically really poor today.

Should have played with a 4-2-3-1, Watmore one side, Harris the other and Stanton attacking centre, Cummings or Heff up front. Playing a 4-4-2 gave away the midfield to Killies 5 and subsequently we lost all the second balls.

emerald green
10-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I really felt today that if we'd scored early doors the floodgates would have opened, but it just didn't work out that way. Still feel confident about a team coming from a lower division to a packed Easter Rd which would rattle them. As long as we're strong in the first leg I think we'll do it without too many problems.

:faf::faf: A team like Raith Rovers maybe? A packed (or half empty) Easter Road holds no fears for anybody.

andy1875
10-05-2014, 03:30 PM
It wasnt our worst performance of the season but it was still extremely poor.

Yes we hit the bar but I can't remember Heff or Collins winning a single header in the second half yet we persisted with the same hoof tactic.

The hoof into the box as well is aimless, high and generally brutal.

I don't think the Killie keeper, like Williams, had much to do.

So in all, I think it was still not a good performance.

Hibercelona
10-05-2014, 03:31 PM
We'll play worse than that and win games.

That's just it though, we won't.

In the last several games we've been getting close to scoring. But "close" isn't good enough. When players have these opportunities, they have to make sure that they're going to burst the net with them, otherwise all their efforts are futile.

Also, at the other end. Opposition teams have shown that they don't need to create much against us in order to score. As we practically gift the goals away.

If you can't score as well as your opponents and you can't defend as well as your opponents, then you can't beat your opponents. You can have all the ball in the middle of the park and be the team doing most of the passing around. But that won't make any difference to the overall outcome.

Bronson
10-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I just thought we were criminally unlucky today, nothing seemed to fall for us and we really should've had a penalty and a man up in the first half when Pascali hauled down Nelson just after he got booked.

Genuinely calm after that, really think that performance was worthy of a win and if we can replicate it in the play-offs we'll be just fine.

Hibercelona
10-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I just thought we were criminally unlucky today, nothing seemed to fall for us and we really should've had a penalty and a man up in the first half when Pascali hauled down Nelson just after he got booked.

Genuinely calm after that, really think that performance was worthy of a win and if we can replicate it in the play-offs we'll be just fine.

Every week we have somebody coming out and saying "we were unlucky".

When you want to win badly enough, you don't get unlucky. You make sure that every chance is taken and you make sure that you cover every inch of the pitch to ensure that the opposition can't gain the upper hand.

We don't do this. That's why we lose. Luck has nothing to do with it.

emerald green
10-05-2014, 03:41 PM

In the last several games we've been getting close to scoring. But "close" isn't good enough. When players have these opportunities, they have to make sure that they're going to burst the net with them, otherwise all their efforts are futile.

Also, at the other end. Opposition teams have shown that they don't need to create much against us in order to score. As we practically gift the goals away.

If you can't score as well as your opponents and you can't defend as well as your opponents, then you can't beat your opponents. You can have all the ball in the middle of the park and be the team doing most of the passing around. But that won't make any difference to the overall outcome.

:top marks

SaulGoodman
10-05-2014, 03:42 PM

After the St Mirren game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Hearts"

After the Hearts game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Partick"

After the Partick game I said "if we play like that we'll beat County"

Hibs seem to be masters of playing 1 level below the other team. Not confident at all.

neil7908
10-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Every week we have somebody coming out and saying "we were unlucky".When you want to win badly enough, you don't get unlucky. You make sure that every chance is taken and you make sure that you cover every inch of the pitch to ensure that the opposition can't gain the upper hand.We don't do this. That's why we lose. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Agree 100% - sorry folks but that performance was brutal. We are a terrible football team to watch and going forward is a total embarrassment. We have only won what, 1 in 19 now?

That is not luck, that is us being the worst team in the league bar none. How anyone can honestly say they think we've played well in the last few games in beyond me.

We've been playing the worst teams in a very, very average Scottish league, teams with budgets much smaller than ours and we can barely manage a couple of shots on target a game.

I knew today that as soon as the Killie goal went in we were beat. Sad saying that but the players and management seemed to think that as well and only started getting bothered with 10 minutes to go.

clerriehibs
10-05-2014, 04:34 PM
We'll play worse than that and win games, first half was some of the best football we've played all season. Second half we drifted off and were pretty disappointing as the game wore on but all we were really lacking today was a Kris Boyd - a goalscorer. He was the difference today.

No, we won't be fine. No matter how pretty our football can be, we cannot score.

Lago
10-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Before this game nearly everyone was begging for a 4-4-2 set up. So as far as TB is concerned dammed if he does dammed if he dosen't.

Bronson
10-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Seriously though we were criminally unlucky, rattled the bar, a few shots off the line, a few goalmouth scrambles that just wouldn't fall for us, a few strong penalty claims (one a stonewaller and a red card) not given our way. There's only so much you can do.

Wasn't our day, such is the story of our season but we'll be alright come May 26th, that I'm confident of.

Waxy
10-05-2014, 04:41 PM
The 442 looked better and a big plus having Heffernan back. I suspected we were going down before today. Not so sure now. We could very well get out of this.

dmc1875
10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
The boy Garner for Preston has just shown the difference having a decent striker makes. Sheer brilliance gets Preston back into the game at 1-1

dutchhibby
10-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Seriously though we were criminally unlucky, rattled the bar, a few shots off the line, a few goalmouth scrambles that just wouldn't fall for us, a few strong penalty claims (one a stonewaller and a red card) not given our way. There's only so much you can do.

Wasn't our day, such is the story of our season but we'll be alright come May 26th, that I'm confident of.

we need to have todays tempo in the play offs for 90 mins each match
they are in a lower league for a reason

hibsbollah
10-05-2014, 05:28 PM
First half I thought we were fairly good in all areas of the pitch, and then Killie score with their first shot. 0-1, exactly what happened in the Partick game last Saturday.

Second half was a total embarassment of a performance, so the OP is half right.

Spike Mandela
10-05-2014, 05:32 PM
We have been the worst team in the league this year and finished in our rightful position.

No creativity, no composure in front of goal, no star player to bail us out and played most of season without our best two defenders Hanlon and McPake.

Today's performance was as predictable as it was disappointing. Just not good enough.

If our playoff opponents have a manager with tactical nous then our players are easy to play against. I have a feeling of impending doom.

Jdawg
10-05-2014, 05:33 PM

What has luck got to do with it. Did we really create a clear cut chance, perhaps one from some good passing and releasing a striker through on goal or a goal laid on a plate by good attacking football? The team, at the moment, don't actually know how to create a proper chance or opportunity for our forwards. Its either booted 40 yards from the CH's or floated hopeful crosses from 30 yards out hoping for a bit of luck. Why not get down the bye line and actually purposefully cross to a striker to head home.

dmc1875
10-05-2014, 05:40 PM
We have been the worst team in the league this year and finished in our rightful position.

No creativity, no composure in front of goal, no star player to bail us out and played most of season without our best two defenders Hanlon and McPake.

Today's performance was as predictable as it was disappointing. Just not good enough.

If our playoff opponents have a manager with tactical nous then our players are easy to play against. I have a feeling of impending doom.

Dont even need that! Let Hibs come at you, hit on the break, you will be presented with a chance, take it. Game over.

Jdawg
10-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Dont even need that! Let Hibs come at you, hit on the break, you will be presented with a chance, take it. Game over.

Correct. The players don't even believe they are going to score.

snooky
10-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Before this game nearly everyone was begging for a 4-4-2 set up. So as far as TB is concerned dammed if he does dammed if he dosen't.

4-4-2 is no good unless you have two players up front who can score goals.
PH looked half fit and couldn't create a chance whereas JC is fully fit and couldn't create a chance.

One up is fine if that one is Sparky.

Bronson
10-05-2014, 06:36 PM
What has luck got to do with it. Did we really create a clear cut chance, perhaps one from some good passing and releasing a striker through on goal or a goal laid on a plate by good attacking football? The team, at the moment, don't actually know how to create a proper chance or opportunity for our forwards. Its either booted 40 yards from the CH's or floated hopeful crosses from 30 yards out hoping for a bit of luck. Why not get down the bye line and actually purposefully cross to a striker to head home.

We hit the bar and had a few cleared off the line, we had chances but nothing fell for us, that's unlucky. The players have to do better, I agree with that but I thought the performance was generally alright, I'm optimistic for the play-offs.

GreenLake
10-05-2014, 06:45 PM
After the St Mirren game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Hearts"

After the Hearts game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Partick"

After the Partick game I said "if we play like that we'll beat County"

Hibs seem to be masters of playing 1 level below the other team. Not confident at all.

Horrible but true.

Lets hope we play like we need to in those games.

Gatecrasher
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
I thought it was quite similar to fenlons last game versus hearts. We battered them for nearly 40 minutes but couldn't score then Boyd scored the sucker punch and knocked the wind out the performance. Not good enough.

mcfly
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM

You have to score goals to win games and we didn't create enough.

We are the worst team in the league and have won 1 game in19.

I admire your confidence but we can't buy a goal .

Bronson
10-05-2014, 07:03 PM
You have to score goals to win games and we didn't create enough.

We are the worst team in the league and have won 1 game in19.

I admire your confidence but we can't buy a goal .

Boyd was the difference today, Falkirk and Hamilton don't have a Boyd, hence my optimism.

coldingham hibs
10-05-2014, 07:47 PM

4-4-2 is no good when the opposition is playing 4-5-1 unles you can hold the ball up front, we can't and should have reverted to match up. We lost all the 2nd balls as we were outnumbered in midfield.

Paisley Hibby
10-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Agree 100% - sorry folks but that performance was brutal. We are a terrible football team to watch and going forward is a total embarrassment. We have only won what, 1 in 19 now?

That is not luck, that is us being the worst team in the league bar none. How anyone can honestly say they think we've played well in the last few games in beyond me.

We've been playing the worst teams in a very, very average Scottish league, teams with budgets much smaller than ours and we can barely manage a couple of shots on target a game.

I knew today that as soon as the Killie goal went in we were beat. Sad saying that but the players and management seemed to think that as well and only started getting bothered with 10 minutes to go.

Spot on mate.

Jonnyboy
10-05-2014, 08:05 PM

You make some very good points :agree:

Re the bit in bold, I feel that sometimes they're trying too hard to burst the net, they tense up and the chance is gone. That's what a lack of confidence does I guess

HappyAsHellas
10-05-2014, 08:05 PM
We hit the bar and had a few cleared off the line, we had chances but nothing fell for us, that's unlucky. The players have to do better, I agree with that but I thought the performance was generally alright, I'm optimistic for the play-offs.

We played well enough today in the first half before they scored. The balls lofted into the box weren't working but that was down to a lack of confidence or skill in the midfield. Players like Heffernan will score goals with the right supply. Someone like Thomson playing the ball to Heffs feet would make a hell of a difference. I still think we're good enough for the play offs, we just have to be.

mcfly
10-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Boyd was the difference today, Falkirk and Hamilton don't have a Boyd, hence my optimism.

Our defence is a joke. The 2 centre backs even ran into each other today.

We can't keep s clean sheet and we don't score.

Those 2 teams are scoring goals which we aren't.

Personally I think the management and board got off very lightly today.

wookie70
10-05-2014, 08:08 PM
We have lacked a focal point for our attack. Someone who can trap a bag of cement and get the ball to wide players in the final third. We are playing the percentages at the moment. The minute the ball can be put into the box it is delivered. This is usually from above the 18 yard line and mostly ends up with a CH headering the ball 40 yards up the pitch and McGivern now being the wrong side of the ball. We are also pinning our hopes on set pieces from what I can see. I hope Falkirk or Hamilton don't have too much pace as the last few weeks we have been very lucky not to have been caught out with quick breakaways.

We need to try and get the oppositions defense turning but we have little pace or ability so revert to the percentage game. I would like to see Stanton wide left. He may get the ball into more dangerous positions. Heffernan could well be the difference in the playoffs as he has ability and can hold the ball up[ and get other players into the game higher up the park. KT would also be a massive bonus if he returns

500miles
10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
It wasn't a bad performance, but whenever the ball got to someone in the box you could see them tense up like they never had been in that position before. It's very much a confidence thing, and something a good manager should be able to iron out of the players. However, I don't think Terry has built the best relationship with his players.

Blackfordhibby
10-05-2014, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Bronson;4006497]Boyd was the difference today, Falkirk and Hamilton don't have a Boyd, hence my optimism.[/QUOTE

Raith Rovers didn't have Boyd either, and that was the first game that I took my granddaughter to. Welcome to my world wee yin!

:confused:

Bronson
11-05-2014, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bronson;4006497]Boyd was the difference today, Falkirk and Hamilton don't have a Boyd, hence my optimism.[/QUOTE

Raith Rovers didn't have Boyd either, and that was the first game that I took my granddaughter to. Welcome to my world wee yin!

:confused:

No offence mate but I don't get what relevance that has here. I'm not saying these teams can't beat us without a Boyd, just that a player like him is often the difference.

My first game was the CIS cup final v Livi when we lost 0-2. As sh*tty first games go, that takes some beating.