PDA

View Full Version : Eoin Doyle - Chesterfield Top Scorer

GreenCastle
09-05-2014, 07:51 PM
http://youtu.be/CLlcwqLgSgI

While he's not the best striker to ever played at ER I would have kept him - always worked hard and scored some important goals.

Jones28
09-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Another thread twisting the knife

Keep them coming!

GreenCastle
09-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Another thread twisting the knife

Keep them coming!

:confused:

Twisting what knife ?

Doyle is better than Cummings - we should have kept him - but we didn't.

We have struggled to score goals this season.

No discussions allowed on here :rolleyes:

Bayern Bru
09-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Agree up to a point - rarely have I celebrated a goal like his equaliser against Falkirk (punching my dad in the face and ending up about three rows from where I started) but he also missed a fair few sitters.

I'd have him as a squad player though, probably...

greenlex
09-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Twisting what knife ?

He didn't want to stay. Thread closed.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-05-2014, 08:14 PM

He wanted to stay but wasn't getting offered a new deal ot something along they lines is what I was told.

Loved his goal vs Falkrik and Dundee United last year:agree:

Anyway, Chesterfield are paying him double what we did.

Good Luck Doyler:aok:

greenlex
09-05-2014, 08:16 PM
He wanted to stay but wasn't getting offered a new deal ot something along they lines is what I was told.

Loved his goal vs Falkrik and Dundee United last year:agree:

Anyway, Chesterfield are paying him double what we did.

Good Luck Doyler:aok:
Offered a contract but chose to move on I believe.

WHUHibs
09-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Why are there so many administrators on this site telling us mere mortals what should happen to a thread or what we shouldn't be saying:wink:

If you have inside information that he wouldn't stay that's fair enough but the poster said he would keep him,,so it could be more of an opinion?

Certainly he wasn't prolific but I would have liked to have seen him stay! He worked hard, often with meagre service and scored some important goals no more than the one at the semi!

We struggle to find goal scorers and when we do we often can't hang onto them for various reasons,,that will always be the case but it would be nice to have a conveyor belt of talent supported by experience...

MyJo
09-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Would rather have him than Collins if im being honest

greenlex
09-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Why are there so many administrators on this site telling us mere mortals what should happen to a thread or what we shouldn't be saying:wink:

If you have inside information that he wouldn't stay that's fair enough but the poster said he would keep him,,so it could be more of an opinion?

Certainly he wasn't prolific but I would have liked to have seen him stay! He worked hard, often with meagre service and scored some important goals no more than the one at the semi!

We struggle to find goal scorers and when we do we often can't hang onto them for various reasons,,that will always be the case but it would be nice to have a conveyor belt of talent supported by experience...
The OP clearly said he would have kept him. I believe this wasn't an option. What's to discuss? Fir the record I would have liked to have seen him continue in a Hibs jersey too.

SteveHFC
09-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Would rather have him than Collins if im being honest

:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I think he was a tad under rated at ER as he was constantly being compared to LG. I thought there was a player in there though. Anyway, good luck to the guy.

iwasthere1972
09-05-2014, 08:25 PM
All Doylies goals have been put on a plate for him.

Seriously wish he had stayed. Not a great player but a grafter and got the impression he liked playing for the club.

SunshineOnLeith
09-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Offered a contract but chose to move on I believe.

This. Liked him and wish him well but footballers move on sometimes.

SMAXXA
09-05-2014, 08:28 PM

:greengrin

LaMotta
09-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Agree up to a point - rarely have I celebrated a goal like his equaliser against Falkirk (punching my dad in the face and ending up about three rows from where I started) but he also missed a fair few sitters.

I'd have him as a squad player though, probably...

Compared to Collins, he was like Hot Shot Hamish.

greenpaper55
09-05-2014, 08:43 PM
The man who signed him had him on the bench for the last part of the season.

easty
09-05-2014, 09:34 PM
He really just wasn't that good. If people want to believe that the division he's playing in now is as good as the SPL then that's up to them. I don't think it is, I think he's found his level, has had a good season, in what is a good team, at that level, and I wish him all the best. I don't miss him in our team though.

The Gorf
09-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Twisting what knife ?

Don't worry about it mate. There's plenty of these twats on this board. You can't say anything without the possibility of being branded a Yam troll by the Petrie lovers.

marinello59
09-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Don't worry about it mate. There's plenty of these twats on this board. You can't say anything without the possibility of being branded a Yam troll by the Petrie lovers.

I wanted Doyle kept at the club but I blame Fenlon for his departure.

jeffers
09-05-2014, 09:43 PM
He wasn't on a lot but PF did want to keep him and a new deal was offered, but Chesterfield offered double.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2014, 09:46 PM

Twisting what knife ?

I didn't necessarily think you were in a hole initially but I think you took the subsequent opportunity to dig one.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Nice dawg!

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2014, 09:49 PM

trev the hat
09-05-2014, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=iwasthere1972;4003317]All Doylies goals have been put on a plate for him./QUOTE]

Beg to differ;-)

yeezus.
09-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Bring back Eoin Doyle and Roy O'Donovan :wink:

Gus
09-05-2014, 10:06 PM
The Chesterfield manager worked previously with Doyle in Ireland, this was a major factor for him leaving Hibs.

Michael
09-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I highly doubt that Doyle would have done any better than Collins this season. He's a very average player.

trev the hat
09-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I highly doubt that Doyle would have done any better than Collins this season. He's a very average player.

Doyler was certainly more mobile, not deadly but FAR better work ethic, good on him for doing well, wish him every success.

Fergus52
09-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Compared to Collins, he was like Hot Shot Hamish.

I don't think I've seen a post from you that's not criticising Collins.

Fergus52
09-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Doyler was certainly more mobile, not deadly but FAR better work ethic, good on him for doing well, wish him every success.

Disagree with you there, I think Collins easily works as hard as Doyle did.

Just doyle was quite a bit quicker and had much more intelligent movement.

trev the hat
09-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Just doyle was quite a bit quicker and had much more intelligent movement.

Yip, I concur.

LaMotta
10-05-2014, 01:32 AM
I don't think I've seen a post from you that's not criticising Collins.

I haven't seen one from you that isn't either admitting you fancy James Collins, or criticising Kevin Thomson (our best player). :aok:

The Green Goblin
10-05-2014, 03:59 AM

That's true, but he could score goals...

Hibby Bairn
10-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Doyle and Collins both not good enough for Hibs. That is why we are in a play off decider today.

CorrieHibs
10-05-2014, 07:15 AM
He really just wasn't that good. If people want to believe that the division he's playing in now is as good as the SPL then that's up to them. I don't think it is, I think he's found his level, has had a good season, in what is a good team, at that level, and I wish him all the best. I don't miss him in our team though.

I would agree with that. League 2 is a poor standard. Vine scored 8 goals in the Scottish championship should we have kept him? As said before they have found their levels!

500miles
10-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Doyle was a good player. In the games where Griffiths was rested or injured, he usually ended up scoring. In fact, did we lose a game last season where Griffiths didn't play?

To me, it indicated that the laddie was capable of scoring plenty goals, but played a more auxiliary role when Griffiths was leading the line.

His family attended one game at Easter Road where he didn't have a great game, and were shocked with the hard time he got. We were paying him something like £500 a week, and he was getting slated regularly, so he decided to pack it in and go down South. Contract negotiations with Hibs didn't even get past Rod's initial offer.

To put it into context, he scored 11 goals last season in 36 appearances last season, 8 of which were from the bench. That's a respectable return of a goal every 220 minutes. (roughly every 2.5 games.)

Geo_1875
10-05-2014, 07:29 AM
He also scored important goals rather than consolation efforts. He also made chances for others. Very under appreciated at Hibs and probably better off away from the overly crtical element of our support.

Brizo
10-05-2014, 07:34 AM
More mobile than Collins or Haynes and imo better at linking up play. Not consistently clinical enough in front of goal. Never a first choice striker for a club with any aspirations (do we have any :devil:) but in an ideal world a very useful squad player. Hibs aren't in an ideal world and if he was still on the books id start him today ahead of any of our current strikers.

Always struck me as a right genuine lad, always gave a 100% and conducted himself very well, both on and off the park. He was worthy of more than the £500 pw a previous poster says he was on.

DH1875
10-05-2014, 07:34 AM
He wanted to stay but was offered peanuts to stay. He got offered double from else where and he took it. Folks can't blame him for that. That said, he wasn't/isnt the answer.

mmmmhibby
10-05-2014, 07:36 AM
http://youtu.be/CLlcwqLgSgI

While he's not the best striker to ever played at ER I would have kept him - always worked hard and scored some important goals.

Be honest, he was pash, and chesterfield are his level. Period!!

clerriehibs
10-05-2014, 07:43 AM

what's our level?

GreenCastle
10-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Interesting how some people view players.

Personally I think he would have done ok this season - he wasn't LG but he could link up play well and as others said scored important goals.

He did miss a few but this is the SPFL.

My original post wasn't trying to turn a knife or aim any criticism at anyone but my opinion if I was making the decision it would have been keep him and offer him more than what he was on. He didn't stay as he didn't feel valued.

Gus
10-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Intrigued to know what level you think we are at as there is only one or two players in the current Hibs team who could cut it in League one

GreenCastle
10-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Shall I mention Clayton Donaldson and Stephen Dobbie ? :greengrin

Jones28
10-05-2014, 07:59 AM

Who are you calling a twat?

I didn't call him a yam troll, the point that I felt was pretty obvious in my post is that we don't need ANOTHER thread discussing what's been and gone with our cup final today.

3pm
10-05-2014, 08:04 AM
I really liked him.

He really went up in my estimation after the Hearts final. When everyone else had sacked it he was busting a gut til the very end.

Underrated but probably would have ended up as the fall guy had he been up top this year.

Eyrie
10-05-2014, 09:29 AM
what's our level?

Top four of the SPFL, starting next season.

Thecat23
10-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Shows how crap our standards are when folk are moaning we should have kept Doyle. He was poor at best for Hibs and he's doing well in a poor league.

Far better strikers out there we could get next season and Doyle is one I'd stay well clear of.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-05-2014, 01:52 PM
"@eoindoyle88: Come on d Hibs!! Dig deep."

IberianHibernian
10-05-2014, 01:57 PM
We lost LG , Claros and Doyle and Fenlon was given money to replace them with Collins , Craig and Vine . And that was called backing the manager . Doyle was a good signing ( good goalscoring record and fitted in in midfield when necessary ) who was improving and could have been sold on for a good fee if we`d competed financially to keep him .

3pm
10-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Shows how crap our standards are when folk are moaning we should have kept Doyle. He was poor at best for Hibs and he's doing well in a poor league.

Far better strikers out there we could get next season and Doyle is one I'd stay well clear of.

Easily capable of being in our squad.

Hibercelona
10-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Chesterfield would wipe the floor with us at the moment.

I recall watching Chesterfield in a final a while back and even although they didn't win, Doyle looked very good. Kept beating the offside trap time and time again with intelligent movement. He was showing qualities that he never got much chance to display while he was here and playing in front of our non-existant midfield.

neil7908
10-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Not the greatest striker in world but was definitely worth a contract. Only thing I would say is that this current Hibs team create so little that I think any decent penalty box would struggle for goals.

Bostonhibby
10-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Chesterfield would wipe the floor with us at the moment.

I recall watching Chesterfield in a final a while back and even although they didn't win, Doyle looked very good. Kept beating the offside trap time and time again with intelligent movement. He was showing qualities that he never got much chance to display while he was here and playing in front of our non-existant midfield.

:agree: Seen them twice this season, good fast direct side, would easily beat Hibs on what I have seen. Mind you Raith Rovers and the entire SPL have done that as well.