PDA

View Full Version : should youngsters have got more game time? do we sign from abroad in the summer?

madhatter
08-05-2014, 05:33 PM
What do people think? I personally believe after Terry told these players they weren't good enough, he should have just played a really young team. I really like look of Todd, Baptie and Black and would be so proud if we played them and even if we struggled they gave their all.

I'd like to see a young team next season. At least 3 homegrown minimum starting each game. The rest should be filled with a few decent foreigners for me. Portugal would be my bet on a good location for skilful midfielders\forwards. We fail each time we buy from fellow SPL teams. Anyway what do people think?

Scorrie
08-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Firstly if TB did tell players they weren't good enough then that may have been a mistake as he kept picking them. I would rather see players coming through the system and supplemented by a few good quality signings rather then the player budget spread thinly on dross.

Onion
08-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Everything hangs on which div we're in. If Prem, then I expect Petrie/LD/Butcher will not want a repeat of this season and will find money to go big in the market - seasoned pros, a decent keeper, a proper captain... supported with a few youngsters like Harris who's likely to do much better with decent support & less pressure.

If Champ, then the game's a bogie before it's started. It will become a 2 year plan for promotion as Sevco/Bidco will be better placed than us. Spend will be less, more youngsters brought through but he'll still need/want leaders, strong defenders, more pace and creativity.

Mikey09
08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Was involved with a team who played Hibs youngsters twice in a week recently and was really impressed with a few of there players. A lad Aaron Dunsmore who played right back stood out for me as did there centre forward Lewis Allan. 2 very promising lads with great attitudes.

southsider
08-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Having watched a good few Copa del Ray cup ties when they have been on TV i thought some of the players from the lower leagues looked really good and could be signed for very realistic money. These guys could be a bargain and would bring a real freshness to out team.

emerald green
08-05-2014, 06:53 PM
What decent player is going to move from abroad and sign for Hibs and play in a "diddy league" if the club is relegated? That seems to me to be one of the biggest dangers of being relegated.

Jonnyboy
08-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Pretty sure TB is on record as saying he will be looking abroad as well as in the UK

As emerald green says, much depends on what league we'll be in

IberianHibernian
08-05-2014, 10:25 PM
What decent player is going to move from abroad and sign for Hibs and play in a "diddy league" if the club is relegated? That seems to me to be one of the biggest dangers of being relegated.The SPL or whatever it`s called no longer has any name abroad so I don`t think there`d be much difference as we`re talking of young players who`ve no club in their own country but might be attracted by playing for a city club with a bit of history especially if the manager and others sell the club well . Something to be taken into account if we choose a new manager this summer .

MrRobot
09-05-2014, 11:11 AM
I wish we played our young full backs by now and tried them in the senior squad.

Stanton should have been in the squad much earlier in the season. Why Fenlon didn't want to give him much game time I will never know. Highlight of yet another season to forget.

hibby67
09-05-2014, 11:33 AM
If we go down (which I don't think will happen) I think we will have no choice but to play the young boys from a financial position.... Also will give us a chance to build a team around the best youngsters and get a settled team instead of loan deals and short contracts... We seem to be on a constant cycle off rebuilding ...

500miles
09-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I wish we played our young full backs by now and tried them in the senior squad.

Stanton should have been in the squad much earlier in the season. Why Fenlon didn't want to give him much game time I will never know. Highlight of yet another season to forget.

Once again, Stanton underwent knee op a year ago, and broke down again early this season. Fenlon was an admirer of Stanton.

MrRobot
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Once again, Stanton underwent knee a year ago, and broke down again early this season. Fenlon was an admirer of Stanton.

Ahhright, wasn't aware of this. I just thought Fenlon didn't think he was ready.

The Sea-gull
09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
What do people think? I personally believe after Terry told these players they weren't good enough, he should have just played a really young team. I really like look of Todd, Baptie and Black and would be so proud if we played them and even if we struggled they gave their all.

I'd like to see a young team next season. At least 3 homegrown minimum starting each game. The rest should be filled with a few decent foreigners for me. Portugal would be my bet on a good location for skilful midfielders\forwards. We fail each time we buy from fellow SPL teams. Anyway what do people think?

It is clear that, if TB did tell a load of players they were not good enough, telling them this, even if that is what he thought has not worked. He may genuniely believe they are rubbish but he could have kept that to himself. If it was a ploy to get them angry and get them playing then he has clearly misjudged this group as it has done the opposite

He was never going to play the youngsters this season unless we were safe and we never have been at any point, despite some talk re play off nonsense being put to bed in February.

He may have played them if we had been clear but as the weeks have gone on, this has looked less and less likely so he couldn't really chuck a load of young lads who have never played first team football into what was basically a relegation battle.

I'd like to see young players given a chance next season - but only if they are good enough or we don't have the funds to get better. RE buying European players, I don't really care where players are from as long as they are good, have the right attitude for our country and our league and give their all for HFC. Bringing in players from abroad enmasse is much more of a risk than getting the bulk from these shores though.

southern hibby
09-05-2014, 12:17 PM
I've mentioned this to mates who I sit beside at the football. I'm a firm believer this is where Scottish football I'n general goes wrong. I would happily watch 11foreign players that are of a high standard than Scottish players who are not.
This is not to say we don't have decent Scottish players but I believe we bring our standard down to our Scottish laddies level instead of bringing the football standard to a higher level and only playing Scottish guys if they are good enough. If we did this it would help our clubs I'n Europe and at international level because only Scottish players good enough would play each week against higher standard of players. GGTTH

Bronson
09-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Nadir Ciftci has been signing of the season for me, we should definitely be looking abroad as well as back home.

patlowe
09-05-2014, 01:25 PM
I've mentioned this to mates who I sit beside at the football. I'm a firm believer this is where Scottish football I'n general goes wrong. I would happily watch 11foreign players that are of a high standard than Scottish players who are not.
This is not to say we don't have decent Scottish players but I believe we bring our standard down to our Scottish laddies level instead of bringing the football standard to a higher level and only playing Scottish guys if they are good enough. If we did this it would help our clubs I'n Europe and at international level because only Scottish players good enough would play each week against higher standard of players. GGTTH

I would argue that signing so many foreign players was what brought Scottish football to its knees financially and actually stifled the progress of young players - the huge slump in the quality available to the national team over the last decade or so is surely an indicator of this? I would be happy to see Scottish football start again in this sense - stop being held to ransom by the Murdoch pound and accept that the quality might drop initially as we look to find our natural level again. If there are good foreign players available that fit within that budget, then great.

Septimus
09-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Although my Hibs watching is principally restricted to TVextra these days it seems clear to me that the Hibs way of going for pretty footballers just does not work in the Premier League. The Ross County game was a case in point where we were out muscled by a team of fit clodhoppers. Look at the safe teams above us and there are several like this.

Maybe we should put the class football on the back burner for the time being and go for a few heavyweights who will survive in a league which is full of others just like them.

Once we are re-established is the time to go for the Zoubirs (for instance) of this world.

Geo_1875
09-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I would argue that signing so many foreign players was what brought Scottish football to its knees financially and actually stifled the progress of young players - the huge slump in the quality available to the national team over the last decade or so is surely an indicator of this? I would be happy to see Scottish football start again in this sense - stop being held to ransom by the Murdoch pound and accept that the quality might drop initially as we look to find our natural level again. If there are good foreign players available that fit within that budget, then great.

I agree totally. Find our own level and accept that is where we are. We've seen what happens when you "speculate to accumulate". The problem with that is you can spend as much money as you like but you'll never get more than the crumbs from the table of the "elite" leagues and European superpowers. Many teams have tried but if you don't have the backing of an oil-rich sheik or an international conglomerate you'll get nowhere.

southsider
09-05-2014, 09:33 PM
But this is an ideal time for investment with no The gers or her7s in the top league (if, pray God, we stay up). How about we ask Sir Tom to give some shares so fans can buy them. A short term investment of,say, £500,000 might just push us into the top 3 next season and build from there.

southern hibby
09-05-2014, 10:25 PM
If buying all these foreign players has got us where we are then obviously our coaching and tactical awareness is difinately not up to much that coaches / managers want to get these players I'n their squad I'n the first place before Scottish lads.

Take J.C. Tried to change the eating habits, fitness levels and life styles of our team and we know what happened there. This year alone our team looks so unfit, ( except a couple of players ). Passing skills are abysmal and out of Europe straight away.
We did have the Mowbray team that made us millions who were Scottishand I would have any player from any country I'n my team if they could play better than the Scottish boys for that position. If the Scottish lads want I'n the team they would need to make the grade and not bringing the grade of the team down to the lads ability.
As for not getting anywhere at international level since France ( world cup ) Scotland always had a decent midfield of hard men, we can't get away with these tactics anymore as International Refs just book straight away, this means we have to change our style our habits and our game plan. I'm not saying I'm correct but I believe we can do better .
GGTTH