PDA

View Full Version : Odds to finish second bottom

IFONLY
08-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Anyone know who are the bookies favourites to finish second bottom?

Sergey
08-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Anyone know who are the bookies favourites to finish second bottom?

Hibs are 8/13

mim
08-05-2014, 12:04 PM
6/1 2 weeks ago. 12/1 a week or so before that. Those that took the bet now have a no lose situation by backing Hibs at 11/10 on saturday

IFONLY
08-05-2014, 12:16 PM
6/1 2 weeks ago. 12/1 a week or so before that. Those that took the bet now have a no lose situation by backing Hibs at 11/10 on saturday

Find it very strange that we are favourites to be second bottom yet we are the bookies favourites to win on Saturday.

Keith_M
08-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Find it very strange that we are favourites to be second bottom yet we are the bookies favourites to win on Saturday.

Some bookies had Hearts at 3/1 to win the last derby, despite the fact that most Hibs fans considered them favourites. Sometimes bookies are wrong.

IFONLY
08-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Some bookies had Hearts at 3/1 to win the last derby, despite the fact that most Hibs fans considered them favourites. Sometimes bookies are wrong.

Not saying that bookies sometimes get it wrong, but the odds are contradictory......

Jim44
08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Without restarting the old nonsensical discussion about 'betting against your own team' , I'd be surprised if any gamblers have not made a fortune from Hibs results over the past few weeks.

Keith_M
08-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Not saying that bookies sometimes get it wrong, but the odds are contradictory......

I know, I got the point. Maybe I should have said that I think that bookies are sometimes just not very bright :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-05-2014, 12:26 PM

7/2 @ SkyBet

Steven_Hibs
08-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Without restarting the old nonsensical discussion about 'betting against your own team' , I'd be surprised if any gamblers have not made a fortune from Hibs results over the past few weeks.

And this Saturday too. £10 on a Killie win, £10 on a draw returns £32 minimum either way. Printing money. And if the absolute unassailable happens and the impossible occurs we all win :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-05-2014, 12:32 PM

It comes down to 8/13 being the price for Killie to win or draw, so you are backing two out of the three outcomes possible with one bet.

super sauzee!!!
08-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Although favourites to win the game, remember that Killie only need a draw as well. Therefore the result of a draw or Killie win, will see us be second bottom.

The odds on Hibs are 6/5 to win the game, and for the double chance market (of a draw or Killie win) is priced at 7/10.

They are therefore saying a draw or killie win is more likely than a hibs win, and hence why we are favourites and odds on to finish second bottom.

SmashinGlass
08-05-2014, 01:14 PM

The reason for that is that there are two possibilities that can send us into 2nd bottom and only one that will allow us to escape in the context of two possible outcomes. The bookies price up based on probability amongst other things. Straight off the bat, there is a 33.33% chance we'll stay up compared to a 66.67% chance we'll have a further 2 games to play this season. The odds will reflect this, together with other factors.

The formula used to determine the odds for the game itself are somewhat different. There are three possible outcomes for a start, as opposed to just the two in respect of finishing 11th. Home "advantage" has a massive impact on bookies odds. In addition, it is highly possible that some big stakes will impact the odds offered. For instance, people will back Killie or the draw and obtain better odds for both options than the 8/13 for us to finish 11th. I can't quite work out why we're favourites to win the game though, that much is lost on me. If anything, the odds should be roughly even for either side to win, with the draw being slightly better odds.

James70
08-05-2014, 02:57 PM
I feel happier now, when I logged into hibsnet I got a big green tick on my screen with the words "This page is safe"

Or is it all a big lie and we will get gubbed on Saturday? :confused:

Keith_M
08-05-2014, 03:20 PM
What are the odds on Hibs scoring a goal?

Must be pretty high, surely.

Sammy7nil
08-05-2014, 03:34 PM

hIbs are favs to win but still odds against as the more likely outcome is a draw or killie win hence the 8/13 hibs to be second bottom