PDA

View Full Version : Cairney

patlowe
07-05-2014, 09:59 AM
I may be completely missing something but I'm flummoxed as to why Paul Cairney appears to have completely dropped out of Butcher's plans in the last few weeks, at a time when we are absolutely crying out for a goal threat. He's no superstar but I'd suggest that a significant proportion of our goals under the current boss have come via a Cairney assist. Is this fitness-related? Tactical? Another casualty of the 'you're no' in ma plans for next season' effect?

Bobby's Cinema
07-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I may be missing completely something but I'm flummoxed as to why Paul Cairney appears to have completely dropped out of Butcher's plans in the last few weeks, at a time when we are absolutely crying out for a goal threat. He's no superstar but I'd suggest that a significant proportion of our goals under the current boss have come via a Cairney assist. Is this fitness-related? Tactical? Another casualty of the 'you're no' in ma plans for next season' effect?
I've been thinking the same. At full fitness he is ahead of Harris for me

ronaldo7
07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
On the bench last night. I have said on another thread that I would have in on Saturday.

Heedersnvolleys
07-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't think TB knows either. I think they just put the names in a hat and pick them out. Or TB and MM do tick tack to get first pick to pick teams???????

Honestly he has contradicted himself so many times I have lost count!

JimBHibees
07-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Also a little surprised Taiwo seems to be totally out of the picture as when Robertson was out his energy and determination should have been useful in the middle of the park. Cairney is in and out however has the ability to create which not many have. Actually thought he was really good v Well in the second half then bizarrely got taken off which seemed to give them back the initiative.

IWasThere2016
07-05-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't think TB knows either. I think they just put the names in a hat and pick them out. Or TB and MM do tick tack to get first pick to pick teams???????

Honestly he has contradicted himself so many times I have lost count!

This. Sadly. The selection process does appear to be one resembling names in a hat...

Craig_in_Prague
07-05-2014, 10:31 AM
At least if we are gonna be relegated, seeing a nutmeg is better than nothing.

JimBHibees
07-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Or not as the case may be, I think every player in the league knows he tries that all the time. :greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
07-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Or not as the case may be, I think every player in the league knows he tries that all the time. :greengrin

I know.. its all horribly bad, a downword spiral that will see us relegated and in the same division below with Rangers and Hearts, we should have been enjoying top 2-3 finishes with those clubs being as they are.. Yet look at us :(

Frustrated, gutted and depressed.

Still, Craig Thomson ref. on Sat.
Only at Hibs can things keep going from bad to.worse and then worse again & again.. etc

JimBHibees
07-05-2014, 10:45 AM
I know.. its all horribly bad, a downword spiral that will see us relegated and in the same division below with Rangers and Hearts, we should have been enjoying top 2-3 finishes with those clubs being as they are.. Yet look at us :(

Frustrated, gutted and depressed.

Still, Craig Thomson ref. on Sat.
Only at Hibs can things keep going from bad to.worse and then worse again & again.. etc

Agree with all of that, at the very time we should be ripping the Yams it is the other way round, only Hibs could do that.

Brightside
07-05-2014, 10:48 AM
He's slower than a week at the mother in laws with an arse like Kim Kardashian. I'd imagine that has something to do with it.

patlowe
07-05-2014, 11:07 AM
He's slower than a week at the mother in laws with an arse like Kim Kardashian. I'd imagine that has something to do with it.

:greengrin This is true but I'm pretty sure you could aim similarly cruel barbs at players who are playing in front of him right now, players who have arguably contributed less in recent months.

greenpaper55
07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
When he's been on form he is the one that can open up a defence with a wee bit of flair, trouble is you never know when that might be but he has to be given a chance on Saturday.

sesoim
07-05-2014, 12:51 PM
TB seems to like bringing players in from nowhere, playing them for 2 or 3 games, then dropping them like a stone. Then a few games later he brings them straight back in. Cairney has already proved time and time again he isn't good enough, but he's still more useful than, say Handling, who keeps on getting chances and continually does nothing.

Beefster
07-05-2014, 12:53 PM
This happens all the time. X was dropped for being pish. We're still pish. Bring X back, he might make the difference.

number 27
07-05-2014, 01:03 PM
I have said before that ,for me, Cairney has to play. Not because he is any great shakes really but because he takes the best set pieces of anyone at the club.

If we don't score from a set piece against killie then I don't think we will score at all, so we may as well give ourselves a chance.

Nutmegged
07-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Cairney should be playing, he had a bit of guile, he is a grafter, he is a goal threat and his sey piece delivery is probably the best we've got available to us.

Longterm Paul Cairney probably isn't going to be the answer but for one game on Saturday I'd rather have him than some of the players who have been picked in front of him

cabbageandribs1875
07-05-2014, 01:23 PM
cairney should be on from the start on saturday :agree:

patlowe
07-05-2014, 02:24 PM
This happens all the time. X was dropped for being pish. We're still pish. Bring X back, he might make the difference.

I started the thread as I am surprised Cairney has disappeared from the team, based on my (admittedly hasty) recollection that he's created most of our goals under Butcher. I'm under no illusion that he's a great player or going to be our saviour. We are, as you suggest, pish, but I'm still surprised he's not in the team given the circumstances.

iwasthere1972
07-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I may be missing completely something but I'm flummoxed as to why Paul Cairney appears to have completely dropped out of Butcher's plans in the last few weeks, at a time when we are absolutely crying out for a goal threat. He's no superstar but I'd suggest that a significant proportion of our goals under the current boss have come via a Cairney assist. Is this fitness-related? Tactical? Another casualty of the 'you're no' in ma plans for next season' effect?

Ten times better than Harris. It's a shame but I can't see a footballer in Alex Harris. Maybe the semi final performance is the best we will see of him. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. Maybe he needs to go out on loan or put on a few pounds so that he's not pushed off the ball so easily.

Boyle89
07-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Did he not set up all 3 goals in the Motherwell game? He should be in ahead of Harris IMO. He can't last the 90 but that's what subs are for.

Golden Bear
07-05-2014, 03:24 PM
I may be completely missing something but I'm flummoxed as to why Paul Cairney appears to have completely dropped out of Butcher's plans in the last few weeks, at a time when we are absolutely crying out for a goal threat. He's no superstar but I'd suggest that a significant proportion of our goals under the current boss have come via a Cairney assist. Is this fitness-related? Tactical? Another casualty of the 'you're no' in ma plans for next season' effect?

Obvious fitness problems and maybe off field personal issues could be the answer.

Smartie
07-05-2014, 04:47 PM
He's wildly inconsistent and very frustrating but he's a must-pick for me. Much better to have somebody who might create something than to have a whole bunch who you know will not. I'd also have Craig in the team for this reason - his all-round play is pretty poor but he has a decent shot and a good set-piece delivery and all our goals seem to come directly or indirectly from these 2 players.

Since Cairney joined the club it's amazing how his form and performances have mirrored our own. When he's in the team and playing well so are Hibs. When he's off-form or injured and out the team we really seem to struggle.

Cameron1875
07-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Just another in the long line of baffling decisions by Terry Butcher i'm afraid.

He's a player who needs to be playing every week or his fitness level drops so having him in an out the team does no one any favours.

Michael
07-05-2014, 05:15 PM
We're more likely to win with Cairney in the team. If he didn't have issues with his fitness he'd be a superb player.

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2014, 05:15 PM

First time I've laughed in last 24 hrs...cheers for that mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

emerald green
07-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Just the mention of Paul Cairney got me thinking about the way Thomson contrived to send him off earlier in the season. Mind boggling incompetence to put it mildly. No apology from Thomson, although apologies from "officials" are valueless. He strikes me as being far too arrogant to ever apologise or admit a mistake. It is never the offending official who suffers the consequences anyway. It's always someone else. On that occasion it was Cairney, and in the past frequently it's been Hibs.

neil7908
07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
He's not our saviour but he carries more attacking threat than the other players currently playing in front of him. Looks like he'll struggle over 90 minutes but definitely worth a start.

Ronniekirk
07-05-2014, 07:17 PM
We're more likely to win with Cairney in the team. If he didn't have issues with his fitness he'd be a superb player.
Had a court case after being charged with assault if I remember right so maybe his head isn't in the right place but he can defo do more in offensive position than Harris IMO but yep he can't last a full game and struggles to get back and defend .

CraigHibee
07-05-2014, 07:29 PM

because butcher is blind and cannot see what we can see, cairney is a must against killie imo

Bishop Hibee
07-05-2014, 07:37 PM
He'll be punted if out of contract at the end of the season. He hasn't done it at any point in the season, why should we expect him to do it now? The Paul Tosh of 13/14.

Sumner
07-05-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't think TB knows either. I think they just put the names in a hat and pick them out.!

Cairney must have looked at MM the wrong way, so now his bit of paper doesnae even get intae the fekking hat !!

Not In The Know
07-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Post of the day!

Stevie Reid
07-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Has most assists for us with 6 - is joint 8th in SPL overall, alongside McFadden, Samaras, Armstrong and Gauld, amongst others.

http://www.espnfc.com/stats/assists/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

GreenCastle
07-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Agree not a world beater but seems to play and either assist or Hibs win.

He's obviously not fit enough for Butcher - I would play him Saturday - experience and some creativity needed.

IberianHibernian
07-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Seemed to play ok in a couple of games then suddenly not play with no injury mentioned in press . There were rumours here he`d already signed a contract with another SPL team presumably another bottom 6 one and I thought maybe TB didn`t want him to play again especially against future team . Likewise with Taiwo - plays ok and suddenly not in the squad at a time when we have several others out injured . With Cairney , I think he wasn`t a bad signing but he hasn`t really proved either that there are lots of gems to be found in the lower divisions 8 some here used him as an example of good players in lower divisions ) .

LaMotta
07-05-2014, 10:02 PM
He'll be punted if out of contract at the end of the season. He hasn't done it at any point in the season, why should we expect him to do it now? The Paul Tosh of 13/14.

Except he has. Cairney is our most creative player. The Paul Tosh of 13/14? Nonsense.

Has most assists for us with 6 - is joint 8th in SPL overall, alongside McFadden, Samaras, Armstrong and Gauld, amongst others.

http://www.espnfc.com/stats/assists/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

Top of the assists chart for Hibs two seasons in a row despite missing large chunks of both seasons. It amazes me that people think we can do without guys who can create and score from nothing, even when they are having a poor game. But I suppose he's not the fastest and he has a big arse and he is inconsistent and there are plenty of others in the squad who can score and create :rolleyes: