PDA

View Full Version : Broadcasting Hibs games at 3pm?

Nutmegged
06-05-2014, 05:46 PM
http://wp.me/p2KFKm-5W

Just saw this on Twitter and found it quite an interesting read.

Could Hibs really benefit from this? The author isn't suggesting that Scottish games should be on TV at 3pm because our two main Broadcasters, BT Sport and SKY wouldn't be able air games at that time anyway but it would allow us and all other clubs to sell our Live games to fans throughout Scotland.

I know a lot of people will say this could hurt attendances but possibly thousands watch illegal streams each week on Hibs International, Hibs Extra and/or BBC Alba during the 3pm Blackout.

Does anyone else think Scottish Football should do this?

Weststandwanab
06-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I do providing there is a Yes vote in September.

Gus Fring
06-05-2014, 06:20 PM
I do providing there is a Yes vote in September.

Why does every thread have to involve the independence referendum in some way? It's got nothing to do with this topic!

Weststandwanab
06-05-2014, 06:27 PM
It is very relevant in this regard - only my opinion of course.

Gus Fring
06-05-2014, 06:33 PM
It is very relevant in this regard - only my opinion of course.

Can you explain how? As far as I can tell this a contractual issue between the TV broadcasters and the governing body. That won't be affected by a Yes vote.

Jamesie
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Can you explain how? As far as I can tell this a contractual issue between the TV broadcasters and the governing body. That won't be affected by a Yes vote.

Easy - broadcasting is reserved to Westminster at present. Post independence, that would no longer be the case.

Nutmegged
06-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Jamesie, thats not the case, if the SFA wanted to allow broadcasts of 3pm games they simply wouldn't apply for the "closed period"

Wales don't apply for said closed periods and regularly air games on their S4C channel every Saturday afternoon.

Gus Fring
06-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Easy - broadcasting is reserved to Westminster at present. Post independence, that would no longer be the case.

Westminster don't decide whether matches are broadcast at 3pm. That's up to the individual football governing bodies. It's a contractual obligation not a legislative one.

Danderhall Hibs
06-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm all for this but only if the Tories don't get in at the next general election.

Weststandwanab
06-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Spot on.

Westminster don't decide whether matches are broadcast at 3pm. That's up to the individual football governing bodies. It's a contractual obligation not a legislative one.

Correct but in my opinion The football Authorities should follow this only in the event of a Yes vote.

Gus Fring
06-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Spot on.

Correct but in my opinion The football Authorities should follow this only in the event of a Yes vote.

But why? There is nothing stopping them doing it just now. The current one runs until 2017 so it's unlikely to change. Also, any deal will be voted for by the SPFL and prevailing opinion has been that 3pm Kick-offs would not not only affect matches in the top tier but would adversely affect the lower leagues as people would be forced to make a choice between supporting their local team or staying in the house/going to the pub to watch a 'bigger' match on TV.

Weststandwanab
06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
But why? There is nothing stopping them doing it just now. They knew independence was on the cards when they negotiated the deal 3 months ago. The current one runs until 2018 so it's unlikely to change.

Prevailing opinion has been that 3pm Kick-offs would not not only affect matches in the top tier but would adversely affect the lower leagues as people would be forced to make a choice between supporting their local team or staying in the house/going to the pub to watch a 'bigger' match on TV.

You are correct but that was not the opening question, to which I replied - in my opinion - yes.

Gus Fring
06-05-2014, 08:11 PM
You are correct but that was not the opening question, to which I replied - in my opinion - yes.

I'm asking why though? You keep saying "in your opinion" but you haven't said why? I don't understand how Scotland being independent will affect the leagues decision not to broadcast games at 3pm? Help me understand.

Nutmegged
06-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Spot on.

Two answers in thr same post totally contradict one another WSW

Weststandwanab
06-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Two answers in thr same post totally contradict one another WSW

The first comment would apply after the Referendum and the second as matters stands currently.

A yes vote would be a game changer in many aspects including Broadcasting and commercial contracts with then non existing Companies.

Gus Fring
06-05-2014, 09:17 PM
The first comment would apply after the Referendum and the second as matters stands currently.

A yes vote would be a game changer in many aspects including Broadcasting and commercial contracts with then non existing Companies.

You're being very vague. Whilst I agree an independent Scotland would certainly have an effect on a lot of business areas, this is one where it likely won't have an effect.

This matter is already dealt with in Scotland by the SPFL and it's member clubs. Neither Westminster nor the English FA have any say in the deal.

If the SPFL and Sky/BT want to change this then they can do so right now by agreeing to amend the current deal. Alternatively if it becomes something that either side wants to add to the new deal they can do that in 2017 when the current deal is up for renewal.

Being independent won't guarantee that people will continue to attend matches. It also won't guarantee the continued press coverage of current matches either. It's well known that televised category B matches are not covered as well or as fully across other media outlets because the vast majority of people will have seen the match with their own eyes.

In my opinion TV has already done enough damage to our game without this being added to the problems.

Nutmegged
06-05-2014, 09:30 PM
WSW

We don't need a Yes vote to Broadcast live football in Scotland at 3pm, all we need is for the SFA to not take up Uefa's offer of the 150 mins closed period on a set day.

The Welsh FA don't take it up and they actually broadcast live football while we're under our blanket ban.

Nutmegged
07-05-2014, 09:02 AM
http://insidescottishfootball2012.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/is-it-time-for-the-sfaspfl-to-revolitonise-live-broadcasting/