PDA

View Full Version : New Contract for Thomson?

147lothian
04-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Any effort being made to get Thomson to sign a contract? He is the one player in the middle who can keep the ball, pick good passes and break up opposition attacks

CallumLaidlaw
04-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I would hope TB and MM have sorted their differences out with Thomson. Having Thomson, Robertson and Stanton to pick from in midfield next season would be a good start.

PatHead
04-05-2014, 09:29 AM
The amount of injuries KT has could impact a contract offer. Unfortunately we don't want another McPake situation.

A real shame as he is a good player.

Iceman1875
04-05-2014, 10:06 AM
There were numerous shouts from the west yesterday to sign Kev up aimed at TB and MM but as far as I know there's no offer tabled yet. I have heard that the interest from Hearts is real though...

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

R11Loaded
04-05-2014, 10:08 AM
He was by far our best player yesterday and we faded after he went off, I would love to still have him next season.

His defence splitting pass to Cummings was marvellous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthamptonHibs
04-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Hibs need to sign him best player we have, if But her doesn't sign him then it's shows us what type of manager he is, we need quality and Thommo falls into that category hail hail

Slim Shady
04-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Heard he is to sign for Dundee United

Unseen work
04-05-2014, 10:09 AM
He should be signed up immediately and our side built around him, there are very few centre mids in the spl I would say are better at Thomson at what he does

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Heard he is to sign for Dundee United

:agree: For £150k

Slim Shady
04-05-2014, 10:12 AM
:agree: For £150k

£150k to us - Is he not out of contract at end of season?

Www1875hfc
04-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Would walk into any other midfield in Scotland outwith Celtc.
Should be kept,and would be my captain.

Sure to come back and haunt us if allowed to leave.

Winston Ingram
04-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Our performance with & without him yesterday was chalk & cheese. Hope he's fit for Tuesday

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
No effort made to offer him a new deal and is very very unlikely he will be here next season which is a shame.

Coco Bryce
04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
If TB cant see KT is by far our best player we are in a bad way.

Golden Bear
04-05-2014, 10:51 AM
There are a few Arabs going around I believe.

147lothian
04-05-2014, 11:06 AM
It would be a shame if he got match fit with us then signs for someone else, he is out of contract at the end of the season, it has to get sorted out!

Michael
04-05-2014, 11:13 AM
If he does go to United he'd probably fit well into their team. If he leaves it'll likely makes us weaker and strengthen a rival (if we aren't in the Championship). A bit annoying.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 11:23 AM
KT said himself he wouldn't sign for another team in Scotland after he's done at Hibs. Get tae with the United rumours.

And no smart comments about Rangers etc.

happiehibbie
04-05-2014, 11:40 AM
I am on Holiday so will miss the last two games PLS PLS PLS can the fans chant to sign KT up i was shouting this yesterday and for the love of god get t done I think a good pre season will see KT even better next season

previous post on injury !! absolute rubbish KT played on after some treatment yesterday I think the halftime break did not help him causing the muscle to contract.

Thecat23
04-05-2014, 11:44 AM
No effort made to offer him a new deal and is very very unlikely he will be here next season which is a shame.

Agent I know who speaks to Butcher often thinks he may still be offered a deal mate. No idea if it's true but he's usually on the ball regarding things like that.

Scooter
04-05-2014, 12:04 PM
The amount of injuries KT has could impact a contract offer. Unfortunately we don't want another McPake situation.

A real shame as he is a good player.

I'm reliably inform that this is the first injury kev has had this season. When butcher first arrived kev wanted out but I believe there has been a reconciliation. He wants to stay

silverhibee
04-05-2014, 12:06 PM
KT said himself he wouldn't sign for another team in Scotland after he's done at Hibs. Get tae with the United rumours.

And no smart comments about Rangers etc.

Too injury prone.

spike220
04-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Have his legs gone? I know he is only 29 but I remember him getting around quicker and further, when younger, or is this just my imagination?

BTW. I like KT and he has been fairly solid when selected.

Iceman1875
04-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Too injury prone.

What injuries has he actually had in his 15 months with us?

Newcastlehibby
04-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Funny, all the people who continually said that he slowed play down and only passed sideways seem to have vanished?

Iceman1875
04-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Funny, all the people who continually said that he slowed play down and only passed sideways seem to have vanished?

KT yesterday had more drive than any other midfielder.

rcarter1
04-05-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm reliably inform that this is the first injury kev has had this season. When butcher first arrived kev wanted out but I believe there has been a reconciliation. He wants to stay

I hope they have patched things up. I was a bit critical of KT early on as I thought he had another 10% to give. Watching him the last few weeks has completely changed my view on him. Class apart at times, and will be gutted of he were to leave.

silverhibee
04-05-2014, 12:55 PM
What injuries has he actually had in his 15 months with us?

Not to sure but have heard Butcher say he wasn't fit enough, how many games has he played since joining Hibs. ?

Iceman1875
04-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Not to sure but have heard Butcher say he wasn't fit enough, how many games has he played since joining Hibs. ?

Injured and not being fit enough is too different things.

According to the Stats he has played 21 times in 15 months.

Nevi_SOL
04-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Happily admit I was one of those people and am happy to be proved wrong. Could have been what fenlon asked but as I say delighted to be proved wrong

silverhibee
04-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Injured and not being fit enough is too different things.

According to the Stats he has played 21 times in 15 months.

What was the reason for this, injured/unfit.

Fergus52
04-05-2014, 01:22 PM

That's still my opinion on him.

But I never saw the game yesterday and supposedly he played well, so I don't exactly have the right to comment on him just now.

TAHibby
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM

I hope that's because they have comparable players lined up.

churchie16
04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Was sitting next to a guy yesterday in the east who said kevin was doing his coaching badges and was training his lad at edinburgh united or city said the boys were asking him some questions and one was where he will be next year kevin said that butcher said to him he is easily the best player at the club and that he said to butcher he wanted to stay at hibs weather its true or not who knows but get him signed up if true!

matty_f
04-05-2014, 02:50 PM
I had heard a few 'leaks' that had been attributed to KT and when that happened I will happily admit to thinking he should have been moved on for the overall good of the club, however since then all the noises coming from KT either through the press or indirectly from other sources have been spot on, he's led by example on the pitch and I understand he's doing the same off it.

That Kevin Thomson is an asset to any club, and we should be looking to snap him up as a result.

cloudy
04-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Any effort being made to get Thomson to sign a contract? He is the one player in the middle who can keep the ball, pick good passes and break up opposition attacks

Team from Sweden made an effort to sign KT recently, Petrie spoke to kevin and he agreed to go because he wasn't getting a game at hibs until TB put a stop to it saying he wasn't about to let his best player leave... big chants of "kevin thomson we want you to stay we want you to stay kevin thomson we want you to stay" on Saturday

Iceman1875
04-05-2014, 04:12 PM
What was the reason for this, injured/unfit.

For me the managers view that he wasn't quite fit for first team action when he potentially was...

happiehibbie
04-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Can we get the chat Thomo ! Thomo ! sign him up going on saturday pls I won't be there due to holidays so unable to start a chant :flag:

cloudy
04-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Can we get the chat Thomo ! Thomo ! sign him up going on saturday pls I won't be there due to holidays so unable to start a chant :flag:
Kevin thomson we want you to stay, we want you to stay kevin thomson we want you to stay

jeffers
04-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Careful now, that sounds very much like you are wanting the fans to shout instructions towards our management team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 04:57 PM
"We want you to stay, we want you to staaaay, Kevin Thomson we want you to stay" and then "Butcher, sign him up, Butcher sign him up" staight after.

Keep repeating both songs at County and sing it at the top of your lungs against Killie aswell!

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Let's support all of the team rather than worrying about 1 player that's probably not even going to be playing.

147lothian
04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Team from Sweden made an effort to sign KT recently, Petrie spoke to kevin and he agreed to go because he wasn't getting a game at hibs until TB put a stop to it saying he wasn't about to let his best player leave... big chants of "kevin thomson we want you to stay we want you to stay kevin thomson we want you to stay" on Saturday

The only thing I can add to this post is a chant of 1 kevin thomson, wouldn't go a miss let him know that he's wanted :aok:

steviehibsleith
04-05-2014, 05:22 PM
What annoys me is when a player starts producing performances and showing what he can do but Hibs then show him the door. Last season Claros did the same really started to have consitant and good performances and he is allowed to leave.

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 05:28 PM

Wrong.....it was a team from Finland managed by an ex hibs huddy striker previously with Ipswich.

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Was sitting next to a guy yesterday in the east who said kevin was doing his coaching badges and was training his lad at edinburgh united or city said the boys were asking him some questions and one was where he will be next year kevin said that butcher said to him he is easily the best player at the club and that he said to butcher he wanted to stay at hibs weather its true or not who knows but get him signed up if true!

Not exactly training his lad, he's got 2 and none are older than 5 year old :greengrin. He's involved with Edinburgh United the Junior team. He wants to stay so over to butcher to make it happen.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Not exactly training his lad, he's got 2 and none are older than 5 year old :greengrin. He's involved with Edinburgh United the Junior team. He wants to stay so over to butcher to make it happen.

Is it true there is interest from America?

cloudy
04-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Wrong.....it was a team from Finland managed by an ex hibs huddy striker previously with Ipswich.

Heard Sweden but where the team comes from isnt important

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Heard Sweden but where the team comes from isnt important

The crux of your post was correct but factually inaccurate :wink:

hibsbollah
04-05-2014, 06:06 PM

He DID slow play down when he first arrived. Ive been pleasantly surprised by his play, but I still wouldn't 'build a team around him' as has been suggested. His biggest strength is being composed on the ball, but hes not irreplaceable.

The Green Goblin
04-05-2014, 06:22 PM
We need every top player we can get. Hope he signs...

J-C
04-05-2014, 06:24 PM
He DID slow play down when he first arrived. Ive been pleasantly surprised by his play, but I still wouldn't 'build a team around him' as has been suggested. His biggest strength is being composed on the ball, but hes not irreplaceable.

Do you not think it was just the negative tactics employed by fenlon, we had zero pace in the team so no forward movement

Winston Ingram
04-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Tbf i think they have only just located their eyes.

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 06:43 PM

If this was true which IMO isn't the case, why would slowing the game down be a negative? Not like we have the barca Personell that can attack at pace in packs.

Jim44
04-05-2014, 06:43 PM
What annoys me is when a player starts producing performances and showing what he can do but Hibs then show him the door. Last season Claros did the same really started to have consitant and good performances and he is allowed to leave.

Butcher and Thomson appear to have reached a working arrangement for the short term and hopefully it will see us through the crisis. You can bet your bottom dollar that when and if we reach safety, the position will be reviewed, and I won't be surprised if Butcher sees Thomson out the door. Big mistake.

Ronniekirk
04-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Butcher and Thomson appear to have reached a working arrangement for the short term and hopefully it will see us through the crisis. You can bet your bottom dollar that when and if we reach safety, the position will be reviewed, and I won't be surprised if Butcher sees Thomson out the door. Big mistake.
Is was indeed a short working agreement .Thats him out injured but this time it's true .

Shrekko
04-05-2014, 07:23 PM

To get a player that good you'd be relying on finding a 'hidden gem' from abroad which is a 1 in 50 chance, or bringing somebody up through the ranks who'll ultimately move on to better things, and i've not heard of anyone we have who has that quality.

The young boys clearly look up to him in a big way and he'd be ideal for helping guys like Stanton settle into the first team. We've missed a player like that for years hence a number of our prospects finding things difficult.

The slowing the game stuff up was only really exacerbated by the fact that the players he was distributing too were either as slow as him or scared to run into dangerous positions.

The guy is a fantastic player- a club like Hibs would be mad to let him go whilst being in the fortunate position of having him and him wanting to be here.

hibsbollah
04-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Do you not think it was just the negative tactics employed by fenlon, we had zero pace in the team so no forward movement

Possibly. But even now im not sure he's 'head and shoulders above the rest' like some are suggesting. I'd rate him as one of our best players on current form, but I remember Garry O'Connor when he first arrived back, was fit and leading the league in scoring, McPake during his loan spell, and of course Griffiths have a better claim at being 'head and shoulders above' the rest of their teammates and we all wanted heaven and earth moved to sign them. And in McPake and O'Connors case of course, they both turned out to be not as indispensible as we all thought.

A 'fantastic' player? No. Griffiths was.

silverhibee
04-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Take it you don't think that will happen.

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Take it you don't think that will happen.

I don't thinks so no mate but you never know

keep the faith
04-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't thinks so no mate but you never know

Well the fans certainly want him to stay. Would be a great move all round if resolution was found and he stays here where he belongs.

Mibbes Aye
04-05-2014, 08:40 PM
All the comment about Thomson slowing play down is partly right but for the wrong reasons IMO.

It's not that he's trying to make sideways passes all the time, he is capable of incisive forward passes to feet or in front of others. Easily the most comfortable player in our squad with a ball at his feet. But with a huge 'but'........

The issue is (and I don't recall it being so pronounced first time round) that he is so, so left-footed. The way he shapes for the ball is to take it onto his left and the way he moves with it is to allow him to pass with his left. This makes it entirely predictable as to what's going to happen when he gets the ball. If he's in the middle and it comes to him from his left he invariably turns inside meaning he can only hit a firm pass sideways or behind (to the right). If he wants to knock it forward it's a dink with the outside of the foot so he's lacking pace on the ball.

Any opposition with any sense would ensure their centre mids are told to show him inside, every time (and also, close down the option of a pass from his right e.g. from Forster/Maybury). That way he's forced into the type of passing, or that aimless sideways dribble from left to right that leads people to suggest he slows things down and nullifies a good part of the talent he undoubtedly has.

147lothian
04-05-2014, 09:11 PM
A player who doesn't give away possession in midfield, just what we need, it will make next season worth looking forward to along with the new players who will come in!

Carheenlea
04-05-2014, 09:30 PM
If Terry Butcher has identified a better player to replace Kevin Thomson next season, then great.
I'd be very surprised though however if this was the case, as players of his quality don't come cheap.

IWasThere2016
04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I was delighted when he returned home. He is my kind of footballer, and he is without doubt in my mind the best footballer we have.

I sincerely hope he stays..

Hibs90
05-05-2014, 03:06 AM
Played his arse off in the first half. We looked worse when he went off as he was the one pulling the strings. Unless we have someone else lined up who is better then we need to keep him

Ronaldo9
05-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Simply put, we cannot afford to let KT leave. Where else are we going to find a player of his quality on our budget? If Butcher allows him to leave it will be the biggest mistake of his (what I think will be) his short career as hibs manager.

southsider
05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Even if has slowed down a little due to wear & tear etc KT is still a quality midfield player. Younger players can be his legs and use Kevin to pick out passes like the great ball played through to Jason on sat. (just a shame he failed to control it).

Jim44
05-05-2014, 02:17 PM
All the comment about Thomson slowing play down is partly right but for the wrong reasons IMO.

It's not that he's trying to make sideways passes all the time, he is capable of incisive forward passes to feet or in front of others. Easily the most comfortable player in our squad with a ball at his feet. But with a huge 'but'........

The issue is (and I don't recall it being so pronounced first time round) that he is so, so left-footed. The way he shapes for the ball is to take it onto his left and the way he moves with it is to allow him to pass with his left. This makes it entirely predictable as to what's going to happen when he gets the ball. If he's in the middle and it comes to him from his left he invariably turns inside meaning he can only hit a firm pass sideways or behind (to the right). If he wants to knock it forward it's a dink with the outside of the foot so he's lacking pace on the ball.

Any opposition with any sense would ensure their centre mids are told to show him inside, every time (and also, close down the option of a pass from his right e.g. from Forster/Maybury). That way he's forced into the type of passing, or that aimless sideways dribble from left to right that leads people to suggest he slows things down and nullifies a good part of the talent he undoubtedly has.

Far too much information there. I hope the Ross County and Killie guys don't read this thread. :greengrin

hibbysam
05-05-2014, 02:26 PM
If Kevin Thomson isn't given a new contract it will be the biggest mistake Butcher will make. Injuries? Maybe, Lacking pace? Probably, The most gifted passer of a ball at the club? Definitely and one the younger kids all say is there biggest icon at the club. He's helping them come on leaps and bounds.

The bit about Saturday I liked most was when he had the ball in our own box, and instead of looking to thump the ball out of play he turned and twisted and got away from there men until someone showed for the pass. Make no mistake about it, We looked a far far worse team when KT went off injured.

PeterboroHibee
05-05-2014, 02:44 PM
If Terry Butcher has identified a better player to replace Kevin Thomson next season, then great.
I'd be very surprised though however if this was the case, as players of his quality don't come cheap.

Thats my feelings on the situation with Thomson. I do think we would be silly to let him go, but if Butcher has someone lined up who is a better player, or more suited to the way he wants us to play then Ive no problem with it.

allezsauzee
05-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Thommo is a class player. Leads by example and knows the value of retaining possession rather than just playing an aimless punt. We should get him signed up for the next couple of years ASAP.

dmc1875
05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
I think its always really important to have a strong spine to the team.

Strong GK, CB, CM and ST..

Thomson is a strong midfielder and should be part of the spine of the team that we build on. A class apart.