PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Sending Off - Could Save Our Season

AlbertK86
03-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Hate to berate players but this guy has been a massive liability since the turn of the year

He has consistently punted the ball aimlessly .... usually into the stands and if not, nearly always to the opposition. This has given our forwards and midfield no chance to keep possession and how TB has continued to pick him is beyond me.

His defending and attacking of the ball at set pieces was good at the beginning of the season. However he has lost his ability to defend and is slower than a week in the jail.

We actually played better once he was off. No coincidence that we got the equaliser once he was gone.

It is a massive positive for me that he is missing. Hopefully Forster in as he is better at keeping possession and looks to bring it out from the back.

Really believe we will be better without him not only defensively but in starting to attack through playing to feet.

Think we can get at least a draw and a win out of the last two games now that Nelson is out

500miles
03-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Nelson's sending off could save our season for no other reason than the fact Higganbotham and Taylor were almost certain to score if he didn't sacrifice himself.

Honestly, folk love a hate figure.

HoboHarry
03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Nonsense of a thread and we must be approaching record figures for threads which are are started simply to berate someone connected to Hibs. Saturday afternoon iphone warriors indeed.... I truly hope that next season goes well for us for all the usual reasons but an additional reason will be that we will see the back of a good number of forum dafties who will disappear like snow off of a dyke if/when we start winning our fair share of games.

The_Exile
03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
If he hadn't committed that last foul we'd have been beaten today, will be interesting to see if we do any better on Tuesday night.

Hibs Class
03-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Just me that was hoping for the straight red so he'd be out for the season?:duck::tin hat:

Probably. Even though it wouldn't have worked that way. :rolleyes:

emerald green
03-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Hate to berate players but this guy has been a massive liability since the turn of the year

He has consistently punted the ball aimlessly .... usually into the stands and if not, nearly always to the opposition. This has given our forwards and midfield no chance to keep possession and how TB has continued to pick him is beyond me.

His defending and attacking of the ball at set pieces was good at the beginning of the season. However he has lost his ability to defend and is slower than a week in the jail.

We actually played better once he was off. No coincidence that we got the equaliser once he was gone.

It is a massive positive for me that he is missing. Hopefully Forster in as he is better at keeping possession and looks to bring it out from the back.

Really believe we will be better without him not only defensively but in starting to attack through playing to feet.

Think we can get at least a draw and a win out of the last two games now that Nelson is out

I agree with much of what you say about Michael Nelson. He isn't a good enough a footballer to play at this level. I would not question his commitment, but that in itself is just not enough. However, it's wrong to single him out (or any other player) for Hibs defensive failings. As I keep saying on these forums Hibs, as a team, just cannot defend properly. You win as a team or lose as a team.

AlbertK86
So the guys who think this is nonsense.................... do you think he is a player and that his passing is good

Bottom line is both bookings were simple enough tackles but the lead weights in his boots stopped him winning the challenges

My ten year old nephew could have won these tackles cleanly

hibsbollah
His two yellows very probably saved us going 3-0 down.

...WentToMowAnSPL
03-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I think he was absolutely fine when playing next to Paul Hanlon ... Once Paul got injured our defence and season collapsed like a pack of cards

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
This is ridiculous. He didn't do anything major wrong today... Or last week...or the week before yet he is constantly made the scapegoat.

You could argue by taking the second yellow he saved our season as it was a certain goal.

Nelson was good beside hanlon and they were a good pairing at the back no coincidence things have got worse when he's been out

...WentToMowAnSPL
03-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Agree 100%

...WentToMowAnSPL
03-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Actually he was very very slow

Nakedmanoncrack
03-05-2014, 07:30 PM
He's ***** & I hope be never pulls on a Hibs shirt again.

Simkin911
03-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Poor distribution & not too quick but I hope he plays a part in a victory over Killie next week. I'll certainly be cheering for him. He doesn't pick himself for the team each week so there's little point not supporting those that are picked... It's not like we have a 25 yr old Maldini waiting to step in for him.

B.H.F.C
03-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Think the guy is absolutely abysmal. It's impossible to build anything with the ball when you have someone just launching it as far as they can.

I'm not having this garbage about his yellows saving our season. Defend properly in the first place. The Partick goal today for instance when Doolan just nipped of the back of him.

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 07:37 PM
The abuse he gets is embarassing he is not alone in making mistakes and costing us goals. As everyone with eyes has seen in the last few weeks Forster has cost us FOUR goals, not Nelson.

Some players get an easier ride than others how about we just support the team as one rather than have a pop at Nelson every game when he does little wrong?

SunshineOnLeith
03-05-2014, 07:38 PM
He took one for the team with both bookings, particularly the second. Not a fan of him as a footballer but his red card today doesn't reflect badly on him at all.

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Think the guy is absolutely abysmal. It's impossible to build anything with the ball when you have someone just launching it as far as they can.

I'm not having this garbage about his yellows saving our season. Defend properly in the first place. The Partick goal today for instance when Doolan just nipped of the back of him.

Doolan, a quick forward, 'nips' in the back of him. Funny that. Are you saying that he was to blame? Not McGivern who left the gaping hole for the pass to be put through?

Not to mention there was a fair bit of luck with their goal...

Garbage? Really? Both his yellows saved certain goals. It was nothing to do with his defending. Most centre backs would have taken the man down twice

HoboHarry
03-05-2014, 07:40 PM
So the guys who think this is nonsense.................... do you think he is a player and that his passing is good

Bottom line is both bookings were simple enough tackles but the lead weights in his boots stopped him winning the challenges

The nonsense is that you feel it worth your time to start another utterly boring thread knocking Hibs. The question of Michael Nelson's abilities will be answered in the close season when TB keeps him or not. In the meantime he is what we have and he should be supported as a Hibs player. And your 10 year old would get run over in a mans game of footie. Stop posting daft stuff and you will get taken a wee bit more seriously.

O'Rourke3
03-05-2014, 07:41 PM
I didn't actually think the second was even a foul. Taylor made the most. The first wasn't much of a booking either - but again, Taylor was rolling around in the box looking for a pen.

IWasThere2016
03-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Poor player IMHO. A pro should have a touch and be able to pass - both these basics seem beyond Nelson.

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Absolute nonsense

Thecat23
03-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Nothing wrong with what the op says to be honest. I thought Nelson was a liability who gave away the ball all game. He was horrific when on it as well and seems to be unaware or opposition players around him.

Craig (who was also having a shocker) seemed to stroll into the CB role when Nelson went off and we seemed to play better. Whether that was down to throwing our all at them or the fact Nelson wasn't there to simply HOOOOOOF it up the park I don't know.

He tries hard but he's not a good player sadly.

Hibernia Na Eir
03-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Ryan McGivern was culpable today. Total bomb scare and will ultimately cost Hibernian very, very dear.

givescotlandfreedom
03-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Ryan McGivern was culpable today. Total bomb scare and will ultimately cost Hibernian very, very dear.

He was certainly the one at fault for the sending off though it was his initial ball the set us up for the equaliser.

Iceman1875
03-05-2014, 07:47 PM
I thought Nelson had a better game than RMcG and was a threat at set pieces, especially first half.

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

B.H.F.C
03-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Doolan, a quick forward, 'nips' in the back of him. Funny that. Are you saying that he was to blame? Not McGivern who left the gaping hole for the pass to be put through?

Not to mention there was a fair bit of luck with their goal...

Garbage? Really? Both his yellows saved certain goals. It was nothing to do with his defending. Most centre backs would have taken the man down twice

Nelson didn't have a clue where he was although McGivern was equally culpable. It's the same week in, week out, we start brightly and then the defence chuck one in. He's been a constant in that. I agree that majority of defenders would empty the forward. I was more trying to make the point that our season has been defined by various defensive howlers as opposed to him saving us by getting sent off.

Need to to see it again as well but I'm not sure Taylor had a clear one on one with Williams at the first yellow. Thought cover had got back in as he was wide. Could be wrong on that though.

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Nothing wrong with what the op says to be honest. I thought Nelson was a liability who gave away the ball all game. He was horrific when on it as well and seems to be unaware or opposition players around him.

Craig (who was also having a shocker) seemed to stroll into the CB role when Nelson went off and we seemed to play better. Whether that was down to throwing our all at them or the fact Nelson wasn't there to simply HOOOOOOF it up the park I don't know.

He tries hard but he's not a good player sadly.

We played better in the first half than second IMO and Nelson if it wasn't for Gallacher would have scored twice. He had a big say in causing lots of problems in their box

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Nelson didn't have a clue where he was although McGivern was equally culpable. It's the same week in, week out, we start brightly and then the defence chuck one in. He's been a constant in that. I agree that majority of defenders would empty the forward. I was more trying to make the point that our season has been defined by various defensive howlers as opposed to him saving us by getting sent off.

Need to to see it again as well but I'm not sure Taylor had a clear one on one with Williams at the first yellow. Thought cover had got back in as he was wide. Could be wrong on that though.

I agree with that. Every defender has been culpable throughout the season. I would argue that Nelson has been less culpable than the rest over the last few games though.

WestEndHibee
03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Nelson's sending off could save our season for no other reason than the fact Higganbotham and Taylor were almost certain to score if he didn't sacrifice himself.

Too right. He's not the best footballer but he doesn't get enough credit for the headers he wins in our box when it could easily be a goal for the opposition. He's not the answer but he's not as bad as a lot make him out to be. If he didn't stop that attack there'd be a protest outside the west stand just now.

Thecat23
03-05-2014, 08:02 PM
We played better in the first half than second IMO and Nelson if it wasn't for Gallacher would have scored twice. He had a big say in causing lots of problems in their box

Actually we did play better first half so can't argue with that. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh it was a good team performance today but I feel Nelson is a liability at times and is costing us with aimless punts up the park.

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Actually we did play better first half so can't argue with that. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh it was a good team performance today but I feel Nelson is a liability at times and is costing us with aimless punts up the park.

His distribution is terrible. I cant remember what it was like under Fenlon, did he do it as much? Think it might be asked of him?

dmc1875
03-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Too right. He's not the best footballer but he doesn't get enough credit for the headers he wins in our box when it could easily be a goal for the opposition. He's not the answer but he's not as bad as a lot make him out to be. If he didn't stop that attack there'd be a protest outside the west stand just now.

:agree:

RoscoHibby
03-05-2014, 08:06 PM
He just takes the wrong option the majority of the time when in possession, nobody within 10 yards of him HOOF, game squeezed up...dangerous pass into midfield...

And the whole defence, or anyone in a hibs shirt actually, when a guys dribbling down the line and looking for a cross. At least try to get within 2yds of him, or better still, try putting a fckin tackle in, doesn't really matter if you get skinned, your letting them ping it over anyway!

Nelson did take 2 for the team though. Boy do we miss Paul Hanlon.

Thecat23
03-05-2014, 08:08 PM
His distribution is terrible. I cant remember what it was like under Fenlon, did he do it as much? Think it might be asked of him?

TB mate was out telling him to calm down. He was also telling the players to get out after sitting in deep. I don't know if it's a confidence thing that he feels it needs booted away but if he just composes himself and plays the simple early ball he'd surely find it helps not just himself but the team as a whole as we will still have the ball.

500miles
03-05-2014, 08:09 PM
TB mate was out telling him to calm down. He was also telling the players to get out after sitting in deep. I don't know if it's a confidence thing that he feels it needs booted away but if he just composes himself and plays the simple early ball he'd surely find it helps not just himself but the team as a whole as we will still have the ball.

That requires players to show for the ball. We've not had enough midfielders taking responsibility like that this season. They don't want the ball in our half. It's almost certainly a confidence issue throughout the team.

Onion
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Nelson ending up taking one for the team with his SO. McGiven set him up. We've had load of guy at Hibs over the last few years who have been wage thieves, didn't care a jot and biding their time, but no need to attack on a guy like Nelson who give 100%. An honest pro. Limited yes, but honest.

WestEndHibee
03-05-2014, 08:15 PM

Although I do think the rest of his game is made out to be much worse than it is, I can agree that his distribution is terrible.

It seems to get worse as time goes on and fans get more frustrated. Still his aerial ability is crucial at times.

Thecat23
03-05-2014, 08:16 PM
That requires players to show for the ball. We've not had enough midfielders taking responsibility like that this season. They don't want the ball in our half. It's almost certainly a confidence issue throughout the team.

Thomson does, but the rest don't sadly.

IberianHibernian
03-05-2014, 08:18 PM
In Butcher`s Hibs it`s no exaggeration to say Nelson and Forster are our major goal threat and I think we`ll miss him at Dingwall .

Mr White
03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Nelson reminds me of shaun dennis- no shortage of commitment and could probably last a few days of intense interrogation before giving up what he knows but horribly limited as a footballer.

Kaiserclem
03-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I think he was absolutely fine when playing next to Paul Hanlon ... Once Paul got injured our defence and season collapsed like a pack of cards

Exactly! They formed a good partnership, he helped Hanlon with his weaknesses and vice versa. Nelson has had Forster who is still learning and sometimes too eager, but will learn. Forster's marking is poor and with Nelson's lack of pace and distribution we have looked terrible.

Jonnyboy
03-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Thomson does, but the rest don't sadly.

Bit unfair on Robbo there Cat. He is always on the move and looking for the ball

Thecat23
03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Bit unfair on Robbo there Cat. He is always on the move and looking for the ball

Sorry I rate Robbo highly forgot all about him. Once he's fully fit I think he'll be a huge player for us next year.

Jonnyboy
03-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Sorry I rate Robbo highly forgot all about him. Once he's fully fit I think he'll be a huge player for us next year.

:aok:

mca
03-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Nelson reminds me of shaun dennis- no shortage of commitment and could probably last a few days of intense interrogation before giving up what he knows but horribly limited as a footballer.

I Quite liked Nelson.. Thought he might come good - but the wife put me down today..!!!!!

She said the fat one from take that who played for rangers. runs faster than him.... hadny the balls to tell her - that was about five years ago - and that the fat one is now on our radar... :rolleyes:

500miles
03-05-2014, 08:54 PM

This was essentially the next point I wanted to make. We have missed Robertson. I think having him missing has had a large hand in our giving away silly goals. Always looking for the ball and takes loads of pressure off the back four.

Ronniekirk
03-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Picked up an injury and only second game back after long lay off .If him and Thompson both miss next two games their experience will be missed .I know Sam scored but he spend a lot of time slipping today at vital points but there is no doubt he will be next young star for us .

Ronniekirk
03-05-2014, 09:14 PM
He has looked more jaded in last few games and don't think he would of been able to play three games in a week anyway

oneone73
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
He has looked more jaded in last few games and don't think he would of been able to play three games in a week anyway

Maybe. But now Maybury is going to have to.

Houchy
03-05-2014, 09:22 PM
He took one for the team with both bookings, particularly the second. Not a fan of him as a footballer but his red card today doesn't reflect badly on him at all.

This is where I stand on today's performance. Put in one of his better shifts today I thought and took one (or two) for the team.

Ronniekirk
03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Maybe. But now Maybury is going to have to.
Unless he puts McPake in with McGivern and puts foster back to right back but yet another chNge of back four for crucial game isn't ideal .

tamig
03-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Still one of our main threats in the opposition box and he could be missed against the big Ross County guys on Tuesday. They have a fair few.

hibbytam
03-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Nelson's great.

Until the ball hits the ground, then he's lost. Confidence is apparently shot, and he's just too slow to be our first choice CB. And that effects the whole team, as the defence has to sit further back, to prevent a footrace between him and, well, anyone. Which means the midfield has to sit too far back, and that either leaves the strikers where the midfield should be, or isolated up front.

He has attributes that counter this, usually decent in the air and a threat from set pieces, I'd be ok with him as a squad player, but never as a first choice.

Bronson
03-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Nelson is without doubt the least talented player I've ever seen. He has plenty heart and he doesn't hide when the going gets tough, but lacks genuine ability. His passing never fails to utterly astound me for a pro footballer.

BH Hibs
03-05-2014, 09:59 PM

**** off guy nearly scored twice and was trying his heart out. Done what he had to do for the second yellow as well. Good fightback from the team today but let's have pish threads like this and the Malpas one. ****ing muppets on here sometimes. GGTTH

hibbytam
03-05-2014, 10:50 PM
**** off guy nearly scored twice and was trying his heart out. Done what he had to do for the second yellow as well. Good fightback from the team today but let's have pish threads like this and the Malpas one. ****ing muppets on here sometimes. GGTTH

Yes, but his lack of pace is quite scary, and compromises our ability to change tactics. Criticism isn't always 'pish from muppets', as long as it points out genuine problems. I'd accept your comments if the comments were unfair, and I'm not questioning his commitment, just his ability.

HoboHarry
03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Nelson is without doubt the least talented player I've ever seen. He has plenty heart and he doesn't hide when the going gets tough, but lacks genuine ability. His passing never fails to utterly astound me for a pro footballer.
Are you into double figures for the games you have watched in your lifetime? Ridiculous statement that you simply cannot back up with any evidence. He has been playing professional for how many years and under how many managers? Maybe they were all wrong and you are right of course. Aye right......

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-05-2014, 10:58 PM
I think that he took his two bookings for the team, which says a lot. Also having a go at Nelson in particular for the quality of his passing from the back, is just a joke.

IberianHibernian
03-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Scored on our last visit to Dingwall and Ross County will be glad he won`t be playing on Tuesday . Was obviously signed as a squad player to help defence but has ended up as a first team regular and one of our main goal threats .

Hermit Crab
03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
He's ***** & I hope be never pulls on a Hibs shirt again.

Harsh.

heretoday
03-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Nelson is a bit of an oaf. I would be sorry to see him in Hibs colours again.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Very harsh comments on here. Awful distribution but decent in the air, tries his heart out and is a real goal threat. We need to stop this constant abuse of our own players

HoboHarry
03-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Very harsh comments on here. Awful distribution but decent in the air, tries his heart out and is a real goal threat. We need to stop this constant abuse of our own players
Wishful thinking that the abuse will end any time soon. Its embarrassing in my opinion. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen posters on this forum make fun of some of the dafties on Yakback but we have our fair share of them too.

Stevie Reid
04-05-2014, 12:16 AM
I do feel a bit for Nelson - he took a few games to get going, but at the time he broke his cheekbone against Celtic I thought he was playing really well, only to then be unavailable for 6 weeks.

There have been times this season where the defence he has played in has looked pretty solid and not conceded many goals, but the last few weeks he has been really, really poor.

Unbelievably unlucky not to score today though.

steakbake
04-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Patrick supporting mate: "took one for the team and sent off for a crucial professional foul".

stoneyburn hibs
04-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Patrick supporting mate: "took one for the team and sent off for a crucial professional foul".

Get a Partick supporting mate, he will tell it like it is.

lucky
04-05-2014, 08:13 AM
He tries his heart out every week. His passing is poor but does win most of the balls in the air. He's just the latest victim of the Hibs boo boys.

matty_f
04-05-2014, 08:34 AM
He tries his heart out every week. His passing is poor but does win most of the balls in the air. He's just the latest victim of the Hibs boo boys.

Totally agree. I wish folk.would try supporting the team instead of laying into them..

Viva_Palmeiras
04-05-2014, 08:41 AM

The TRUE Hibernian revolution will NOT and will NEVER be expedited by the boo boys - believe in better.

Ronniekirk
04-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Will see how we cope without him ,he has been running on empty towards the end of last few games indicating he has given his all in the game .We all know his deficiencies but could we end up more exposed in the middle now with new partnership in a game we can't afford to loose .

GreenOnions
04-05-2014, 09:10 AM
This is ridiculous. He didn't do anything major wrong today... Or last week...or the week before yet he is constantly made the scapegoat.
You could argue by taking the second yellow he saved our season as it was a certain goal.
Nelson was good beside hanlon and they were a good pairing at the back no coincidence things have got worse when he's (Hanlon's) been out

I'm sorry - I just can't agree with you at all - apart from the bit in bold.

Nelson is not the reason we are near the bottom of the league. He is one of the bigger reasons though. A panic buy at the last minute after we'd lost out on our main target. I cannot believe we couldn't find anyone better than him or that we didn't give McManus an earlier time limit to make his decision so that we could pursue other targets. I've heard it said we actually paid a fee to bring him to ER. If that's true I think it says a lot about the decision-making at the club that has led us to where we are.

Since the very first day of the season Nelson has been responsible either partly or in fully for countless goals we've lost.

eg First home game of the season v Motherwell (0-1) long headed clearance over the top between Mullen and Nelson. Both too slow to combat Anier. Next game away v Hearts (0-1) Nelson lost his man (Patterson) for the only goal of the game. Next game - home to Dundee Utd (1-1) another long ball over the right central defensive area which Armstrong buries. Nelson out of position and too slow to recover. Next game away to Killie which we won 2-1 but poor Nelson defensive header lands at the feet of Barry Nicholson who hits the ball straight into our net etc etc etc - the list goes on and on.

I felt on that very first game of the season that Nelson was out of his depth at SPFL level. His chronic lack of pace was alarming even that early in the campaign. It may be that, when he was younger, he was quicker and therefore more effective but all that matters is now. It's not Nelson's fault he's not good enough or that he's constantly picked. That's probably down to the squad assembled by Pat Fenlon. I certainly would not question his commitment either. He's simply nowhere near good enough and a perfect example of the managerial decisions that, over the last few seasons have seen us slip further and further behind other teams whose managers can "spot a player".

It;s ridiculous to suggest that the absence of one player could "save our season" - so I don't agree with that. However, I do think we should open our eyes about the reasons we are near the bottom of the league - we've brought players to the club who are poorer than players brought to other clubs.

Golden Bear
04-05-2014, 09:16 AM
It's a very cruel thread title.

Nelson will never be the world's best centre back, we all know that, but that's where we are now and we've got to make the best of the playing resources we have at present.

Mcgivern is to blame for Nelson's sending off yesterday make no mistake about that.

Tyler Durden
04-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Except he didn't do it at all yesterday - made some runs into their final third but rarely showed short to take it from the defence.

I think Robertson has been poor the last 2 games but we are so desperate that we do really need to give him these games to find his sharpness. I do rate Robertson but thought he was pretty terrible yesterday and his MOTM award was laughable.

As for Nelson, honest pro but terrible player. Better than McGivern who has gone from a great loan signing to a guy who doesn't seem to care how he plays.

Tyler Durden
04-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Nelson was good beside hanlon and they were a good pairing at the back no coincidence things have got worse when he's been out

You could also argue that he should have won the ball instead of fouling the man twice - is that beyond the realms of possibility?

I find it hard to disagree with the OP that we are better off with Nelson in the stand.

RoYO!
04-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Can we stop with the "done what he had to", "took one for the team" schtick. Both challenges were poorly timed trips. Both definite yellows. And both totally avoidable.

RoYO!
04-05-2014, 10:19 AM
I might add that butcher didnt even acknowledge him as he went off. May tell you something about his thoughts on the matter.

greenpaper55
04-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Players were running past nelson like he was standing still , he is committed but he must be the worst CB in the league hence all the goals that are lost through there.

Winston Ingram
04-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree with the OP. He's the worst centre half the club has has had since Derek Anderson.

Absolutely hopeless

snooky
04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry - I just can't agree with you at all - apart from the bit in bold.

Nelson is not the reason we are near the bottom of the league. He is one of the bigger reasons though. A panic buy at the last minute after we'd lost out on our main target. I cannot believe we couldn't find anyone better than him or that we didn't give McManus an earlier time limit to make his decision so that we could pursue other targets. I've heard it said we actually paid a fee to bring him to ER. If that's true I think it says a lot about the decision-making at the club that has led us to where we are.

Since the very first day of the season Nelson has been responsible either partly or in fully for countless goals we've lost.

eg First home game of the season v Motherwell (0-1) long headed clearance over the top between Mullen and Nelson. Both too slow to combat Anier. Next game away v Hearts (0-1) Nelson lost his man (Patterson) for the only goal of the game. Next game - home to Dundee Utd (1-1) another long ball over the right central defensive area which Armstrong buries. Nelson out of position and too slow to recover. Next game away to Killie which we won 2-1 but poor Nelson defensive header lands at the feet of Barry Nicholson who hits the ball straight into our net etc etc etc - the list goes on and on.

I felt on that very first game of the season that Nelson was out of his depth at SPFL level. His chronic lack of pace was alarming even that early in the campaign. It may be that, when he was younger, he was quicker and therefore more effective but all that matters is now. It's not Nelson's fault he's not good enough or that he's constantly picked. That's probably down to the squad assembled by Pat Fenlon. I certainly would not question his commitment either. He's simply nowhere near good enough and a perfect example of the managerial decisions that, over the last few seasons have seen us slip further and further behind other teams whose managers can "spot a player".

It;s ridiculous to suggest that the absence of one player could "save our season" - so I don't agree with that. However, I do think we should open our eyes about the reasons we are near the bottom of the league - we've brought players to the club who are poorer than players brought to other clubs.
Your post is 100% spot on, G.O.
My thoughts exactly.

Bronson
04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
I think too many people on here confuse an honest assessment of a poor player as being a 'boo-boy'. I'll not sit here and hide the fact I think he's hopeless and we can, and should, have better in the squad, but I am by no means a boo-boy myself.

Think this whole 'boo-boy' tag gets thrown about far too easily by some people who need to get off their high-horse.

*Places tin hat firmly on head.*

CraigHibee
04-05-2014, 10:59 AM

totally agree, there were a few times he kept backing off from thistle when he should have been ready to make a challenge

Gus
04-05-2014, 11:03 AM
The nonsense is that you feel it worth your time to start another utterly boring thread knocking Hibs. The question of Michael Nelson's abilities will be answered in the close season when TB keeps him or not. In the meantime he is what we have and he should be supported as a Hibs player. And your 10 year old would get run over in a mans game of footie. Stop posting daft stuff and you will get taken a wee bit more seriously.

This

steakbake
04-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I think too many people on here confuse an honest assessment of a poor player as being a 'boo-boy'. I'll not sit here and hide the fact I think he's hopeless and we can, and should, have better in the squad, but I am by no means a boo-boy myself.

Think this whole 'boo-boy' tag gets thrown about far too easily by some people who need to get off their high-horse.

The high horsemen v the boo boys.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-05-2014, 12:50 PM

1000x this it's the complete opposite of what's prested in the OP if he hadn't made the sacrifice it would have been Beaumont/Foster all over but with relegation/playoff implications.

I blame Big Brother for encouraging this "hate"/booing behaviour. If we all behaved like that at work or like Lord Sugar there would be absolute carnage in the workplace.

All the negative energy needs to channelled elsewhere otherwise we run the risk of defeating ourselves. Nows not the time for scapegoating and finger pointing in as much as our club needs the players pulling together we as a support need to be there too.

flash
04-05-2014, 12:54 PM
I agree with the OP. He's the worst centre half the club has has had since Derek Anderson.

Absolutely hopeless

He wasn't even our worst centre half yesterday never mind ever.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Boo-boys / high horse - ultimately whoevers right is a hollow victory if we get relegated we have to look beyond this irrelevance in a sense. Can the honest assessments not wait until the end of season ?There's bigger things at stake.

iwasthere1972
04-05-2014, 12:58 PM
It's the first time in 50 years that I've actually stood up and shouted some not too nice words at a Hibs players. It was in the second half when Nelson had the ball close to our bye line and because he was so slow the Partick player almost won the ball off him.

Nelson couldn't win a battle with a bit toast.

Hero76
04-05-2014, 01:46 PM
1000x this it's the complete opposite of what's prested in the OP if he hadn't made the sacrifice it would have been Beaumont/Foster all over but with relegation/playoff implications.

I blame Big Brother for encouraging this "hate"/booing behaviour. If we all behaved like that at work or like Lord Sugar there would be absolute carnage in the workplace.

All the negative energy needs to channelled elsewhere otherwise we run the risk of defeating ourselves. Nows not the time for scapegoating and finger pointing in as much as our club needs the players pulling together we as a support need to be there too.

he is ***** though

brog
04-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Michael Nelson is a 34 year old journeyman who was an emergency signing last season. He's played most of this season because of injuries at one time or another to most of our back 4. He's limited as a player but he gives 100% in every game & has contributed some vital goals & assists this season, remember our late, late equaliser vs Thistle in December? He returned from a shocking injury early wearing a face mask to help our cause & yet someone thinks it's worthwhile to start a negative thread about a guy who will probably at most play one more game for Hibs. If we had a team of players with MN's commitment & courage we would not be in our current predicament.

Onion
04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Michael Nelson is a 34 year old journeyman who was an emergency signing last season. He's played most of this season because of injuries at one time or another to most of our back 4. He's limited as a player but he gives 100% in every game & has contributed some vital goals & assists this season, remember our late, late equaliser vs Thistle in December? He returned from a shocking injury early wearing a face mask to help our cause & yet someone thinks it's worthwhile to start a negative thread about a guy who will probably at most play one more game for Hibs. If we had a team of players with MN's commitment & courage we would not be in our current predicament.

:top marks Factually spot on and and great summary.

Hero76
04-05-2014, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't expect anything less, he does not do it for free, he still ***** though.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 02:12 PM
It's the first time in 50 years that I've actually stood up and shouted some not too nice words at a Hibs players. It was in the second half when Nelson had the ball close to our bye line and because he was so slow the Partick player almost won the ball off him.

Nelson couldn't win a battle with a bit toast.

Folk in the East started going bananas and booing :faf:

Tyler Durden
04-05-2014, 02:34 PM

He signed this season not last. It can hardly be described as an emergency signing when we gave him a 2 year deal.

It's a message board FFS, if people want to slate players here they are more than entitled, nobody is talking about booing the guy. He was terrible yesterday, has been several times and plenty people will be happy he misses the next game. If that's offensive, don't read the thread.

brog
04-05-2014, 03:11 PM
He signed this season not last. It can hardly be described as an emergency signing when we gave him a 2 year deal.

It's a message board FFS, if people want to slate players here they are more than entitled, nobody is talking about booing the guy. He was terrible yesterday, has been several times and plenty people will be happy he misses the next game. If that's offensive, don't read the thread.

You're putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say any comments on the thread were offensive, I merely questioned the sense of starting yet another thread slagging a limited player who gives his all in every game. You'll also have to explain to me how I could find something offensive without reading the thread, that takes some doing! FWIW I thought from the headline the OP was praising Nelson for possibly preventing a goal scoring opportunity, it's ambiguous at best.

Tyler Durden
04-05-2014, 03:21 PM
You're putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say any comments on the thread were offensive, I merely questioned the sense of starting yet another thread slagging a limited player who gives his all in every game. You'll also have to explain to me how I could find something offensive without reading the thread, that takes some doing! FWIW I thought from the headline the OP was praising Nelson for possibly preventing a goal scoring opportunity, it's ambiguous at best.

Just a bit tired of the "lets not be negative, let's pull together" type posts as if posting on a forum makes any difference.

And the view that Nelson was somehow blameless for his red card or took one for the team. He did his job very poorly and would probably admit as much himself.

Edit - which to be fair Brog, was not necessarily what you personally said, cheers.

Winston Ingram
04-05-2014, 06:45 PM
He wasn't even our worst centre half yesterday never mind ever.

I disagree. McGivern wasn't great but Nelson was woeful.

mcfly
04-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Nelson has been dreadful for weeks and is a very lucky man to have been anywhere near the 1st team.

Hanlons injury has been a big loss for us but a win on Tuesday means we are safe and the rebuild starts then.

I cannot see Michael nelson being a 1st team player next year. I'd try and move him on in the summer

Jonnyboy
04-05-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Nelson and tend to groan with the rest of the fans when he hoofs the ball up the park, or more often, into the stand. BUT to those who say he was hopeless yesterday, watch these highlights and take note of all the positive things he did

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/27277331

GreenOnions
04-05-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Nelson and tend to groan with the rest of the fans when he hoofs the ball up the park, or more often, into the stand. BUT to those who say he was hopeless yesterday, watch these highlights and take note of all the positive things he did

None of those "positive things" was anything to do with defending or passing. Maybe we could bring him on each time we get a corner?

snooky
04-05-2014, 11:12 PM

:agree:
I'm NOT a Nelson fan (as previous posts can prove) however, I thought he played okay yesterday, bar a few wild hooooooooofs.

Jonnyboy
04-05-2014, 11:24 PM
None of those "positive things" was anything to do with defending or passing. Maybe we could bring him on each time we get a corner?

But he's regarded as totally pish. The worst player ever seen etc. The point I was trying to make is that contrary to popular belief he actually does do SOME good things in the game where folk nwere moved to say he was pish/terrible/useless a waste of a jersey etc

Cameron1875
04-05-2014, 11:53 PM
We've had some humpty centre backs in the last few years but in terms of a guy playing every week, he has to be the worst since Murdoch.

Dickoh wasn't too clever but Nelson takes the biscuit.

Hopefully Forster can slot in on tues night cause McPake could maybe be bit of a risk :dunno:

hibbytam
05-05-2014, 12:31 AM
We've had some humpty centre backs in the last few years but in terms of a guy playing every week, he has to be the worst since Murdoch.

Hopefully Forster can slot in on tues night cause McPake could maybe be bit of a risk :dunno:

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, there have been some woeful centre backs who have offered nothing of merit. Nelson's decent in the air, but is just too slow, and has no composure or confidence on the ball.

Though watching the highlights, he has a hell of a shot on him. Maybe we should have him up front?
(not being entirely serious....)

B.H.F.C
05-05-2014, 02:18 AM

The positive things he did were in an attacking sense. That's not what he's employed for. Look at their goal, he didn't have a clue where Doolan was. Granted, McGivern was equally culpable.

General comment, I wish our centre halves would attack the ball in our box like they do in the oppositions. Forster last week for instance. His man scored twice and he was nowhere yet he would have cleaned his granny our to get on the end of the cross for his goal. Annoying.

dmc1875
05-05-2014, 02:37 AM

Very good. So Nelson is the worst CB for years, and you want to replace him with the guy that has cost us four goals in his last two games?

dmc1875
05-05-2014, 02:39 AM
The positive things he did were in an attacking sense. That's not what he's employed for. Look at their goal, he didn't have a clue where Doolan was. Granted, McGivern was equally culpable.

General comment, I wish our centre halves would attack the ball in our box like they do in the oppositions. Forster last week for instance. His man scored twice and he was nowhere yet he would have cleaned his granny our to get on the end of the cross for his goal. Annoying.

This is the point. He was by no means the only problem at that goal. McGivern was far too slow at getting across and Nelson got done from Doolan in behind.

Nelson is a scapegoat yet as I have said several times, has not been the worst defender over the last few weeks. Forster has cost us four goals, McGivern has been woeful, yet only Nelson gets pelters? Beggars belief

Ronniekirk
05-05-2014, 07:59 AM
This is the point. He was by no means the only problem at that goal. McGivern was far too slow at getting across and Nelson got done from Doolan in behind.

Nelson is a scapegoat yet as I have said several times, has not been the worst defender over the last few weeks. Forster has cost us four goals, McGivern has been woeful, yet only Nelson gets pelters? Beggars belief
So you won't want a McGivern/Foster Partnership on Tuesday night .Nelson wouldn't of been able to play the the three games in a week anyway and if needed he can come back in for Killie game as he has done a good job on Boyd this season .
McPake will want to play but only T B will know if he he is ready for this game which is crucial .

The only certainty is whoever is in back four won't keep clean sheet so hope we can score first for a change as always losing first goal just adds to pressure and this game could all about who handles that the best .Gutted Thompson is out as he was at Heart of prompting a lot of our creative moves in that first half .His eerience and composure are also just what we need for this game .
We are not getting Mutch luck so will need to do it the hard way

GreenOnions
05-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Very good. So Nelson is the worst CB for years, and you want to replace him with the guy that has cost us four goals in his last two games?

I'm sorry but Nelson has cost us way more than four goals this season. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread I made it four he cost us in our first four league games alone back in August/Sept. Forster has a lot to learn but he has been much better for us than Nelson I think most would agree - and that's despite playing out of position because of the ridiculous squad Fenlon put together.

It's the way Nelson's lack of pace makes our defence have to play so deep that I think is equally damaging though. It creates muh more space for our midfield to cover and gives the opposition much more speace when they have the ball. We are unable to close their attacks down the way that they can do to us. I think this is crucial in explaining why ordinary teams can look so good against us and be so effective when they're attacking.

I appreciate your loyalty to him dmc1875 and but I agree with those on this thread who think that MN is the worst of our defenders. Granted - he does have some stiff competition for that award but he wins it IMO. Hanlon is head and shoulders above all the rest. Forster has promise and played impressively beside him at the end of last season. The rest must be allowed to either leave or sit in the stands

Stuarty27
05-05-2014, 09:13 AM
I said it at the time and was shot down in flames on here, it was a terrrible signing. He couldnt get a game for Bradford City before we signed him! He is absolutely honking.

Who ever sanctioned a 2 year contract for him should be given the bullet.

The Sea-gull
05-05-2014, 10:29 AM
We needed, and have done for a while now, a big, commanding and quality no 5. Nelson fit the bill in terms of the big part but that was about it. I suspect PF signed him as back up, not expecting him to play that much as he was probably looking at McPake and Hanlon as his first choice pair.

This was flawed management as it was clear last season McPake was not a viable answer as the top choice CB based on form and fitness. PF should have been looking at a partner for Hanlon and he was to be fair as he seemed to really want Stephen McManus. I felt at the time Nelson was a hell of a come down from targetting the likes of McManus and how we went from McManus to Nelson is baffling. Poor scouting network? Lack of contacts and imagination when it came to signings? No money left after blowing our load on James Collins?

Nelson signed on 1st August 2013. He was not a panic signing so PF must have thought he was the best he could get. A panic signing would have been signed a month after that. Zubir is an example of a panic signing. The three players we got in January were panic signings.

The person who questioned the wisdom of giving a 33 year old journey man centre half a 2 year deal is right. WTF was that all about. Lets hope being stuck with him for another season or having to pay him off doesn't impact Terry's summer budget.

When folk start trying to claim that Fenlon is blameless for where we find ourselves they are obviously forgetting some of the above.

Jonnyboy
05-05-2014, 10:58 AM

I simply suggested he was not all bad in that ninety minutes and that highlights package confirms it!