PDA

View Full Version : Thomson: what happened?

TheFamous1875
03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I thought he was by far the best player on the park today. Cool, composed with skill and ability, he dictated the whole of the first half. What happened to him? I just saw he was sitting down in the centre circle and then got taken off.

He wasn't involved with any opposing players so I'm assuming he must've went over on something/pulled something. Anyone have any info? I hope to Christ he's not injured as I think Butcher's talk of a 'blend' is his way of saying he realises how useful Thomson can be in dictating play in the middle of the park.

keep the faith
03-05-2014, 04:55 PM
I thought he was by far the best player on the park today. Cool, composed with skill and ability, he dictated the whole of the first half. What happened to him? I just saw he was sitting down in the centre circle and then got taken off.

He wasn't involved with any opposing players so I'm assuming he must've went over on something/pulled something. Anyone have any info? I hope to Christ he's not injured as I think Butcher's talk of a 'blend' is his way of saying he realises how useful Thomson can be in dictating play in the middle of the park.

He pulled something at end of the first half. He swung a pass out wide early in the 2nd and immediately pulled up and signalled to the bench. It didn't look good. Best player on the park too!!

jeffers
03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
He pulled something at end of the first half. He swung a pass out wide early in the 2nd and immediately pulled up and signalled to the bench. It didn't look good. Best player on the park too!!

Totally agree, TB's first signing for next season should be KT. And I know it won't be popular with some, but I'd make him captain as well.

He was grimacing at half time as if his right thigh was the problem, but when he went off seemed to be his groin. I thought our midfield was far less effective when he went off.

Calum68
03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Guy next to me in the FF said Thomson has signed pre-contract with Dundee Utd. I'd be gutted if it turns out to be true.

hibee_girl
03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
When the 2nd Partick player got injured Thomson was over at our bench getting treatment too, looked like it was his thigh/groin area.

emerald green
03-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Guy next to me in the FF said Thomson has signed pre-contract with Dundee Utd. I'd be gutted if it turns out to be true.

I've heard that rumour too. Is it true though?

3pm
03-05-2014, 05:10 PM

The word on the private board is that it's not true.

stoneyburn hibs
03-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Hope he recovers for Tuesday, big miss when he went off.

Cropley10
03-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Apparently not true. But keep repeating it.

keep the faith
03-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Totally agree, TB's first signing for next season should be KT. And I know it won't be popular with some, but I'd make him captain as well.

He was grimacing at half time as if his right thigh was the problem, but when he went off seemed to be his groin. I thought our midfield was far less effective when he went off.

I agree with both the new contract and captain point mate. The handling of the Thomson situation this season by our management team has been disastrous. Hope a fresh start can be found.

Calum68
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Apparently not true. But keep repeating it.

Just sharing what I'd heard. Is there a problem with that?

3pm confirmed that the rumour wasn't true which is positive. He didn't feel the need to add a smart comment after confirming.

Bronson
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
A class above everyone else on the park today until he went off, would be a massive boost if he signed up for next season.

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
A class above everyone else on the park today until he went off, would be a massive boost if he signed up for next season.

Would be a massive boost if he could play on Tuesday but I suspect his seasons's over.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Alfred E Newman
03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
It looked like his knee again to me.

emerald green
03-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I agree with both the new contract and captain point mate. The handling of the Thomson situation this season by our management team has been disastrous. Hope a fresh start can be found.

Hopefully this is the sort of nonsense Leeanne Dempster will get sorted out at ER.

sleeping giant
03-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Hopefully this is the sort of nonsense Leeanne Dempster will get sorted out at ER.

How would she have any impact on the team management decisions ?

madhatter
03-05-2014, 06:15 PM
It looked like his knee again to me.

No, it was his groin area. He got it sprayed and a wee bit of massage near the end of the first half.

emerald green
03-05-2014, 06:18 PM
How would she have any impact on the team management decisions ?

I'm not sure. Maybe you can tell me?

sleeping giant
03-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure. Maybe you can tell me?

WTF are you talking about ?
You were the one who said hopefully she would sort out this nonsense !

emerald green
03-05-2014, 06:32 PM
WTF are you talking about ?
You were the one who said hopefully she would sort out this nonsense !

Exactly. I said "hopefully". I'm not party to what exactly she will be involved in when she takes up her post on 1 June. Just hoping she might be able to influence things like this. I don't know if she will or won't be able to sort out this nonsense. Calm down pal. It's just a comment.

sleeping giant
03-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Exactly. I said "hopefully". I'm not party to what exactly she will be involved in when she takes up her post on 1 June. Just hoping she might be able to influence things like this. I don't know if she will or won't be able to sort out this nonsense. Calm down pal. It's just a comment.

Im calm :greengrin

I would not imagine she would have any input into the team TB puts on the park. Certainly hope not anyway :aok:

kaimendhibs
03-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Certain it's a groin injury. Could see he was struggling with it at end of first half. Bad news if so

Sent from my iphone

emerald green
03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Im calm :greengrin

I would not imagine she would have any input into the team TB puts on the park. Certainly hope not anyway :aok:

Yea, you're right about her not having any input into team affairs, and I agree that's as it should be. I didn't really make my point very well (in fact, p*** poor!). I just don't think the Kevin Thomson situation has been handled very well (at least as much as I know from what I've read and heard) and I jumped in and posted that maybe she could "hopefully" get that sort of stuff sorted out. I know we both want what's best for our club. :aok:

Billy Whizz
03-05-2014, 07:06 PM
If its a muscle injury, his season is over

IWasThere2016
03-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Our best player by a distance - not just today.

Golden Bear
03-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Our best player by a distance - not just today.

Totally agree. The difference in the standard of our play after he went off was alarming.

Danderhall Hibs
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Looked like his groin went just over halfway through the first half. TB called for Jones to come back from his warm up cos they thought they were going to have to make the change then.

Famous Fiver
03-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I posted last week that he should be offered a new contract. Nothing I saw today changed my mind. Our best player by a country mile. Scott Robertson got man of the match. I disagree, it was KT even if he only played just over half of the match.

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Nothing much said about this. Physio rubbed heat into his thigh during a break in 1st half.

It's either dead leg or thigh strain, fingers crossed it's the former.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

monktonharp
03-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Nothing much said about this. Physio rubbed heat into his thigh during a break in 1st half.

It's either dead leg or thigh strain, fingers crossed it's the former.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"thank Christ for that. would not like to see Leeane taking a hands on approach for a wee thing like that. imagine her trying to apply deep heat to KT,s groin, disnae bear thinking aboot!.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Thigh injury apparently. Gave him a massive clap when he went off incase that's his last game.

If it is, all the best Kev.

Stevie Reid
03-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Frustrating as ****. When he came back last year the only concern was whether he could stay fit, not if he still had quality - he then stays fit for ages whilst Butcher somehow deemed him surplus to requirements; when Butcher finally sees sense, Kevin shows his quality only to now get injured.

We definitely deserved at least a draw today, but we were much worse without Thomson, and lost our shape after he went off.

SkintHibby
04-05-2014, 05:42 AM
KT defo off to Utd at end of season. Jackie Mac rates him highly.

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Would be a massive boost if he could play on Tuesday but I suspect his seasons's over.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Unlikely he will be fit for Tuesday never mind next Saturday and in reality that is likely the last time anyone will see him in a hibs jersey. Butcher doesn't want to keep him next season so he will move on which is bizarre to everyone with any football knowledge. Hence the interest from hearts, Dundee UTD and another premiership team.

SMAXXA
04-05-2014, 05:59 AM

No he's not don't lie

andy1875
04-05-2014, 06:04 AM
I really hope Thommo stays, thought he was good against Hearts and again yesterday.

Dictating tempo, running with ball, composed and fighting for the cause.

He might not have had the yellow armband recently but he's my captain when he plays. No doubt about it.

jeffers
04-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Unlikely he will be fit for Tuesday never mind next Saturday and in reality that is likely the last time anyone will see him in a hibs jersey. Butcher doesn't want to keep him next season so he will move on which is bizarre to everyone with any football knowledge. Hence the interest from hearts, Dundee UTD and another premiership team.
I really hoped the recent comments from TB meant he was going to see sense and give him a new contract. If he doesn't it's a f****ing joke IMO. At the moment given the choice between TB and KT leaving I'd be choosing the former.

Thecat23
04-05-2014, 06:36 AM
St. Johnston are wanting him as well. But from what I'm told Butcher may well offer him a deal.

jeffers
04-05-2014, 06:47 AM
St. Johnston are wanting him as well. But from what I'm told Butcher may well offer him a deal.

Fantastic news if true mate. IMO he's shown in the past 2 games that he's the best midfielder (and probably player) we have at ER. He's composed on the ball and has created some of our best chances, all the chat about him slowing the game down is utter bollox, he's a class act. Get him signed up TB and appointed captain. You know it makes sense !!!!

Aldo
04-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Hopefully this turns out to be the case!!

Weir7
04-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Frustrating as ****. When he came back last year the only concern was whether he could stay fit, not if he still had quality - he then stays fit for ages whilst Butcher somehow deemed him surplus to requirements; when Butcher finally sees sense, Kevin shows his quality only to now get injured.

We definitely deserved at least a draw today, but we were much worse without Thomson, and lost our shape after he went off.

Spot on.

Lets hope butcher has a replacement lined up for next season as he doesn't cwant Thomson.

Weir7
04-05-2014, 07:09 AM

Correct he rates him but not in a position to offer him a deal.

matty_f
04-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Based on his performances he's well worth a new deal.

down-the-slope
04-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Shape was changed from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 when he went off we do not have the players to play 4-4-2 the 4-2-3-1 works with Robertson / Thomson getting a bit more time to make passes and prevents teams playing through us so easily

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-05-2014, 07:41 AM
I've slated Thomson a fair few times however in the first half yesterday that was the best I've seen him play probably since his first spell at the club.

If I was manager if be worried that he is prone to breaking down with injury and why has it taken so long for him to show his true colours.

If he can reproduce his form of yesterday most weeks, he's definitely worth a new contract.

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Fantastic news if true mate. IMO he's shown in the past 2 games that he's the best midfielder (and probably player) we have at ER. He's composed on the ball and has created some of our best chances, all the chat about him slowing the game down is utter bollox, he's a class act. Get him signed up TB and appointed captain. You know it makes sense !!!!

He's only really shown that once (yesterday). He did dictate play, bossed midfield and got forward.
Whatever Butcher thought it may have changed as of yesterday's game!

jeffers
04-05-2014, 08:00 AM
He's only really shown that once (yesterday). He did dictate play, bossed midfield and got forward.
Whatever Butcher thought it may have changed as of yesterday's game!

I disagree, thought he was our best player last Sunday and played a couple of great through balls, particularly the one to Watmore which ultimately ended up with Forster scoring. I also thought he was excellent when we drew 1-1 with Celtic earlier in the season and imo bossed the current Scotland captain.

In case anyone is wondering, I really rate Kevin Thomson.:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-05-2014, 08:04 AM
There was a bit of play in the first half where KT was playing almost behind the back four mopping things up and trying to get things going again. Other players seemed to be happy when he had the ball. That tells you something, especially when the confidence levels are so low. For what he can offer the team, I don't see where Butcher could get the same of better with the budget that he will have. He can pass the ball and play with his head up. Don't see why he can't play slightly deeper, where it is not so vital that you are quick off the mark.

Lucius Apuleius
04-05-2014, 08:11 AM
He played well yesterday. Missed the yam game last week so can't comment. He was not playing well the last couple of games I saw him play. Is this a. net fact that TB refused to play him or a real fact? I never saw anything in the papers from either KT or T B to say he was not getting played as Butcher did not like or rate him.

Ronniekirk
04-05-2014, 08:34 AM
I really hope Thommo stays, thought he was good against Hearts and again yesterday.

Dictating tempo, running with ball, composed and fighting for the cause.

He might not have had the yellow armband recently but he's my captain when he plays. No doubt about it.

Ironically we didn't score when we had a ten minute spell in first half when Thompson was dictating we push forward and finding players with some great we passes into feet something we haven't been doing enough of as you need composure on ball, quality to execute pass under pressure and vision.
On that form would have been confident he could inspire others around him to play better and get us safe .his loss in these last two games for me is a worry as last two performances have been better with him and Robertson in thier .and he too picked up a knock .
Ironically we scored when they were both off the pitch and down to ten men .first bit of rub of the green we have had in ages .
I think Killie could beat hearts today so Tueday night is a massive game for us if that pans out .

coldingham hibs
04-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Thommo is the best player at the club, head and shoulders above every other player.

He is the only player that could probably walk into any other team in the league. Why he hasn't played is a mystery.

We need him on Tuesday and even more so on Saturday, everyone should be crossing their fingers and toes.

Hermit Crab
04-05-2014, 08:38 AM

Pish.

Hermit Crab
04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Thommo is the best player at the club, head and shoulders above every other player.

He is the only player that could probably walk into any other team in the league. Why he hasn't played is a mystery.

We need him on Tuesday and even more so on Saturday, everyone should be crossing their fingers and toes.

Butcher says in his interview he's toiling for Tuesday with a thigh muscle problem. I doubt he will feature on Tuesday or next Saturday.

Winston Ingram
04-05-2014, 10:26 AM
He hasn't signed a pre-contract with anyone. He wants to stay here but as yet hasn't been offered anything

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Naw he's no!

Golden Bear
04-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Jackie Mac may rate him highly (I don't know) but KT is NOT off to Utd at the end of the season.

(repeat 100 times please)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 11:55 AM
If we want so see Kevin here next season, the us the fans have to make it loud and clear against Killie.

Hermit Crab
04-05-2014, 12:52 PM
If we want so see Kevin here next season, the us the fans have to make it loud and clear against Killie.

And in Dingwall on Tuesday night. Loud and clear terry. We want him to stay.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-05-2014, 01:35 PM
And in Dingwall on Tuesday night. Loud and clear terry. We want him to stay.

:agree:

"Kevin Thomson, we want you to stay!"

Make it happen guys, c'mon!

smurf
04-05-2014, 01:40 PM
If TB is the manager I believe he is then he will build a team around him as club captain.

inglisavhibs
04-05-2014, 04:52 PM
I posted last week that he should be offered a new contract. Nothing I saw today changed my mind. Our best player by a country mile. Scott Robertson got man of the match. I disagree, it was KT even if he only played just over half of the match.
Both Thomson and Robertson played well in the first half. With Thomson getting injured and Robertson running out of steam (understandably) we suffered badly in the second half. It's the best and most committed I've seen Kevin play since his return but there is a worry that he is very rarely able to play like he did in the first half yesterday. There would be no doubt abut a contract if he could. The team performance in the first half was the best for some considerable time and we were very unlucky not to score but the second half showed our lack of depth in the squad. Fingers crossed that we get over the line on Tuesday as we really don't want it to go to the last game.