PDA

View Full Version : NHC "A Celt on and off the park"?

VivaHiberña
01-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I wonder if the Green Brigade will be as quick to condemn the celebration of murder and terrorism as they were in criticising Leigh Griffiths.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/celtic-star-anthony-stokes-caught-3480659

"CELTIC striker Anthony Stokes has been caught on stage with a pro-IRA singer at a republican pub in Belfast.Stokes, 25, who has already been warned by boss Neil Lennon over his conduct, was pictured at a notorious bar on the Falls Road with his arm around musician Alan Quinn.
A picture taken at the Rock Bar shows a smiling Stokes at the 
microphone with Quinn, who faces trial over video footage of him leading a crowd in IRA chants last year.
Dublin-born Stokes was carpeted by Celtic in 2012 after he attended a memorial for m murdered Real IRA chief Alan Ryan.
He was fined, told by Lennon that he had damaged the club’s name and was urged to stay away from similar events.
And his appearance at the Rebel Sunday night held by the bar every week is sure to incense the club.
A Celtic source said: “A lot of people at the club will be infuriated Stokes has disregarded the manager’s advice and turned up at an event like this.
“Why has a Celtic player turned up in Belfast – on the Falls Road of all places – at an event called Rebel Sunday and gone up on stage?”
Stokes visited the Rock Bar on 
April 6, a day after scoring Celtic’s second goal in a 2-0 win over Dundee United.
On stage with the footballer and 48-year-old Quinn, from Glasgow, was singer Gerry Og McConnell, whose 
repertoire includes songs such as Provo’s Lullaby.
Two nights earlier, the bar had hosted notorious singer Brendan “Bik” McFarlane, who was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1976 for murdering five people in a pub bombing.
Quinn has been charged with breach of the peace over an incident in the Foggy Dew bar in Gallowgate, Glasgow, last April – just after the death of Margaret Thatcher.
Footage of him conducting a pro-IRA chant appeared on YouTube within hours of Thatcher’s death.
No date has been set for his trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court.
Quinn – whose band are called Shebeen and whose songs include The IRA Will Set Them Free – was so happy with the gig at which Stokes came on stage he tweeted about it.
He wrote: ”Absolutely 
fantastic. Great fun too. Thanks for everything.”
Celtic last night declined to comment.
There was no answer at Quinn’s home in Glasgow’s east end."

Keith_M
01-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Surely he IS just living up to their expectations of being a Celt on and off the park?

They might admire the principle of that, as they understand it, but normal people really don't.

I wouldn't accept that sc*m back at Easter Road, no matter how many goals he scores.

Iggy Pope
01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Quite pathetic this really.
Normal people would have Stokes and Griffiths back at the club regardless.
I hope I'm still 'normal' and not some deranged normal bampot.

Baader
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Celtic fans... The ones that pelted Mark Walters with bananas yet love taking the high moral ground...

AndyM_1875
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
A Celt on and off the park ..... More like a bell end on and off the park.

emerald green
01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Celtic fans... The ones that pelted Mark Walters with bananas yet love taking the high moral ground...

I think the first lot to pelt Mark Walters with bananas was guess who? Yep, it was those good old "Gorgie Boys" at the PBS. Shower of s**** then, still a shower of s**** now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
They'll just dig out their "One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" banner again.

Weststandwanab
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Surely he IS just living up to their expectations of being a Celt on and off the park?

They might admire the principle of that, as they understand it, but normal people really don't.

I wouldn't accept that sc*m back at Easter Road, no matter how many goals he scores. Did you spell that incorrectly ?

Quite pathetic this really.
Normal people would have Stokes and Griffiths back at the club regardless.
I hope I'm still 'normal' and not some deranged normal bampot. I would have the Hibby back in a heartbeat.

Mikey09
01-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Is anyone really surprised by the goings on of those horrible hypocritical prats?? They constantly twist things to suit there vile pathetic agenda. The banner aimed at Sparky was probably the most cringeworthy one I have seen regarding there hypocrisy although no doubt they'll surprise us all with another belter soon.

Bronson
01-05-2014, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't accept that sc*m back at Easter Road, no matter how many goals he scores.

Behave, I would do awful things to see those two lining up front for hibs on Saturday and I'm sure I'm not alone.

eastterrace
01-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I think the first lot to pelt Mark Walters with bananas was guess who? Yep, it was those good old "Gorgie Boys" at the PBS. Shower of s**** then, still a shower of s**** now.

yes i mind a hearts friend of mine ( yes i know ) saying the grocer shops around gorgie that day ran out of bananas , so yes they are a shower of sh*tes.

Keith_M
01-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Behave, I would do awful things to see those two lining up front for hibs on Saturday and I'm sure I'm not alone.

You're entitled to have no principles, others are just as entitled to have at least some.

Weststandwanab
01-05-2014, 06:18 PM
yes i mind a hearts friend of mine ( yes i know ) saying the grocer shops around gorgie that day ran out of bananas , so yes they are a shower of sh*tes. Do they really have greengrocer's in Gorgie ?

HappyAsHellas
01-05-2014, 06:19 PM
yes i mind a hearts friend of mine ( yes i know ) saying the grocer shops around gorgie that day ran out of bananas , so yes they are a shower of sh*tes.

Did any of them buy them, or just waited till his back was turned....?

Bronson
01-05-2014, 06:22 PM
You're entitled to have no principles, others are just as entitled to have at least some.

Genuinely couldn't give a monkeys if our strikers were sc*m of the earth if they were banging in 30 a season.

emerald green
01-05-2014, 06:23 PM

:agree: Aye, and it's those same roasters and bigots from HOMFC who continually attempt to take the high moral ground.

marinello59
01-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I wonder if the Green Brigade will be as quick to condemn the celebration of murder and terrorism as they were in criticising Leigh Griffiths.

"CELTIC striker Anthony Stokes has been caught on stage with a pro-IRA singer at a republican pub in Belfast.Stokes, 25, who has already been warned by boss Neil Lennon over his conduct, was pictured at a notorious bar on the Falls Road with his arm around musician Alan Quinn.
microphone with Quinn, who faces trial over video footage of him leading a crowd in IRA chants last year.
Dublin-born Stokes was carpeted by Celtic in 2012 after he attended a memorial for m murdered Real IRA chief Alan Ryan.
He was fined, told by Lennon that he had damaged the club’s name and was urged to stay away from similar events.
And his appearance at the Rebel Sunday night held by the bar every week is sure to incense the club.
A Celtic source said: “A lot of people at the club will be infuriated Stokes has disregarded the manager’s advice and turned up at an event like this.
“Why has a Celtic player turned up in Belfast – on the Falls Road of all places – at an event called Rebel Sunday and gone up on stage?”
April 6, a day after scoring Celtic’s second goal in a 2-0 win over Dundee United.
On stage with the footballer and 48-year-old Quinn, from Glasgow, was singer Gerry Og McConnell, whose 
Two nights earlier, the bar had hosted notorious singer Brendan “Bik” McFarlane, who was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1976 for murdering five people in a pub bombing.
Quinn has been charged with breach of the peace over an incident in the Foggy Dew bar in Gallowgate, Glasgow, last April – just after the death of Margaret Thatcher.
Footage of him conducting a pro-IRA chant appeared on YouTube within hours of Thatcher’s death.
Quinn – whose band are called Shebeen and whose songs include The IRA Will Set Them Free – was so happy with the gig at which Stokes came on stage he tweeted about it.

Stupid behaviour by Stokes and embarrassing for his club but not illegal.

Scottie
01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I think on principal you will be in the minority there pal. I'm all for players having there freedom in their time off but to attend a gig like this shows Stokes up for the biggott he obviously is. I personally would like Stokes nowhere near ER again.

Spot on mate.

_hucks_
01-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Is it not possible to attend a rebel evening without being pro ira? Poor judgement from Stokes to go up on stage but we seem to be a bit quick to brand it pro terrorist.
I support republicanism as a political standpoint but abhor the practices of the IRA - I suspect many others are in the same boat.

silverhibee
01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Stupid behaviour by Stokes and embarrassing for his club but not illegal.

:agree:

Unless the DR produce a video of him singing a wee ditty, could be there exclusive for tomorrow's front page.

VivaHiberña
01-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Is it not possible to attend a rebel evening without being pro ira? Poor judgement from Stokes to go up on stage but we seem to be a bit quick to brand it pro terrorist.
I support republicanism as a political standpoint but abhor the practices of the IRA - I suspect many others are in the same boat.

No proof of course, but given the venue, his choice of company and their and his past record, one can make a safe assumption about what sort of stuff they were singing.

I don't really take sides re. NI, although the break up in any way of the UK is something I am sympathetic to. However, Stokes has crossed the line in the past and probably has again. If we, as Hibs supporters, want to talk about integrity Stokes is the sort of player we should be avoiding.

Paisley Hibby
01-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Do you mean republicanism in general (as in you're against monarchies) or are you referring to Irish Republicanism. If the latter then is that not really Irish Nationalism?

Apart from that, if you fly with the crows...

Sir David Gray
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
That's obviously what they meant by that banner the other week.

It will be interesting to see what action they take against Stokes.

Kato
01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Do you mean republicanism in general (as in you're against monarchies) or are you referring to Irish Republicanism. If the latter then is that not really Irish Nationalism?

Apart from that, if you fly with the crows...

Yup, if you fly with the crows someone's going to have it up on youtube within minutes.

BH Hibs
01-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Has he really done anything wrong apart from being a fanny for being there. He's an Irishman in a part of Ireland which is strongly Nationalist and Republican maybe or maybe not singing a rebel song. As I said maybe shouldn't have been there but that's about it. As for Celtc fans they've always been hypocrites so nothing will change there.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2014, 08:23 PM

I wouldn't accept that sc*m back at Easter Road, no matter how many goals he scores.Spot on.

Hibrandenburg
01-05-2014, 08:55 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to say sc#m, I personally reserve that insult for folks who come from Fa'side. I do however agree with your sentiments, he should never be allowed to darken our doorstep again.

IWasThere2016
01-05-2014, 08:56 PM
The hypocrisy of Cellic fans knows no bounds. Absolute dregs..

Sir David Gray
01-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Has he really done anything wrong apart from being a fanny for being there. He's an Irishman in a part of Ireland which is strongly Nationalist and Republican maybe or maybe not singing a rebel song. As I said maybe shouldn't have been there but that's about it. As for Celtc fans they've always been hypocrites so nothing will change there.

By visiting that pub and meeting up with that particular musician, he's associating himself with something that the club (at least publicly) wants to move away from.

Also, the whole point of the thread was to highlight the hypocrisy of the Celtic fans' banner last week about Leigh Griffiths not being a "true Celt" because of his behaviour at the derby at Tynecastle.

A few weeks later, we've got Anthony Stokes attending a well known republican pub and going to a gig of a musician who is renowned for singing IRA songs.

A true Celt?

The response over the next couple of weeks from their fans will let us know.

Cabbage East
01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
An Irishman singing Irish songs in Ireland? So ****ing what. Anyone that's genuinely offended by this needs to have a word with themselves.

Ship Hibs
01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
The hypocrisy of Cellic fans knows no bounds. Absolute dregs..

My personal favourite is the ones that wear the Che Guevara tshirts while also sporting a pair of nike trainers and carrying an iPhone

Glory Lurker
01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
My personal favourite is the ones that wear the Che Guevara tshirts while also sporting a pair of nike trainers and carrying an iPhone

:agree: Doughnuts.

weonlywon6-2
01-05-2014, 09:12 PM

Imo this is a thousand times worse than what leigh did,leigh is just passionate about a football club,stokes is supporting terrorism

One Day
01-05-2014, 09:15 PM
An Irishman singing Irish songs in Ireland? So ****ing what. Anyone that's genuinely offended by this needs to have a word with themselves.

Hear Hear

Nutmegged
01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
The pub in questions twitter account said Stokes wasn't there and the photo is doctored.

If this is true then Stokes has shown an incredible error of judgement but at no time does the article suggest he was involved in any singing, I don't think being a republican or supporting republicanism can be viewed as bad on its own, as a Celtic player though he surely knows how sensitive these things are and hes been away fromus what now 4 years???? You'd think that would be enough time for him to learn.

GREEN WARLORD
01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

I believe the Celtic fans did it a week or two before the Gorgie vermin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4KF1ZLqbs

Bostonhibby
01-05-2014, 09:28 PM

:agree: And you can spell abhor which is probably where you and Stokes part company.

If celtc are going to appear to take any type of moral high ground whilst actually trying to further their own particular ends they need to try to be consistent - by all means condemn a daft laddie singing what he shouldn't but the waters run a lot deeper and a lot darker where Stokes behaviour is concerned, its harder for them to actually do anything about it when they really haven't dealt with, and daren't deal with the hard core sectarian element whose support and cash they enjoy, not to mention the majority of plastic paddies with no clue about where they originate from.

Its times like this where you watch celtc being uncomfortable with the dilemma they face and the ambiguity with which they handle it that make me proud to be a Hibby even now. We probably shouldn't have encouraged them way back then.

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-05-2014, 09:34 PM
He was a prick when he was with us and he's an even bigger prick now

Bostonhibby
01-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Maurice Johnson and Alfie Conn? Did they tick the all important celt on and off the park boxes? Just throwing it in the mix.....................:stirrer::stirrer:

green&left
01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
An Irishman going to an Irish rebel night on his day off. Ooooft shock horror. All aboard the hysterical easily offended bus everyone...

James Connolly in the background is it not 8-)

Greentinted
01-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Maurice Johnson and Alfie Conn? Did they tick the all important celt on and off the park boxes? Just throwing it in the mix.....................:stirrer::stirrer:

Or indeed Jock Stein, Danny McGrain and Kenny Dalglish!

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
If the story is true then it is surely that he was telt to stay away from places like this and he hasn't listened?

Bostonhibby
01-05-2014, 10:02 PM
An Irishman going to an Irish rebel night on his day off. Ooooft shock horror. All aboard the hysterical easily offended bus everyone...

James Connolly in the background is it not 8-)

See what you are getting at but the problem seems to be that celtc "minded" folk were moved to condemn what Griffiths got up to on his eerrrrrrrrr .......day off.

It seems like its okay to be sectarian / a bigot so long as you are the right sort of bigot at the right type of event?

brog
01-05-2014, 10:14 PM
You know the Celtc fans hypocrisy with Leigh has nothing to do with any alleged misbehaviour off the park. What these clowns can't stomach is he's now a Celtc player but remains very much a Hibs fan. That's it pure & simple. They really do believe that when they sign a guy from Togo it was always his dream to pull on the hoops!

Sir David Gray
01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
See what you are getting at but the problem seems to be that celtc "minded" folk were moved to condemn what Griffiths got up to on his eerrrrrrrrr .......day off.

It seems like its okay to be sectarian / a bigot so long as you are the right sort of bigot at the right type of event?

And this revelation surprises you?

Bostonhibby
01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
And this revelation surprises you?

Not me, was responding directly to Scott B in case he'd missed the irony :wink:

BH Hibs
01-05-2014, 10:24 PM
You know the Celtc fans hypocrisy with Leigh has nothing to do with any alleged misbehaviour off the park. What these clowns can't stomach is he's now a Celtc player but remains very much a Hibs fan. That's it pure & simple. They really do believe that when they sign a guy from Togo it was always his dream to pull on the hoops!

Absolutely right mate they hate it that he doesn't hide that fact he is still a Hibby

Bostonhibby
01-05-2014, 10:28 PM

:top marks

Sir David Gray
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Not me, was responding directly to Scott B in case he'd missed the irony :wink:

I know. :wink:

Pete
02-05-2014, 01:33 AM

The green brigade are fierce Irish republicans so of course they aren't going to condemn it. Not everyone categorises IRA activity as "murder and terrorism".
They will say they aren't being hypocritical because they are consistent when it comes to certain issues but the moment they claim to be any sort of tolerant institution they immediately contradict themselves. This green brigade are trying to have their cake and eat it when it comes to their opinions and I don't think that's possible in today's society. They need to either stop all the "Brits out", "FTQ" stuff or stop all the stuff that projects them as inclusive and tolerant.

As for the club and player, it's going to end up in a fine. They love their Irish heritage and the cash it brings but they aren't stupid enough to want to be associated with any political stuff over there. All the Che Guevara/love and peace imagery the green brigade project must make them happy as that's the sort of image they want. Republican quotes on banners and players attending any sort of republican gathering will not reflect well on the "new" Celtic and will no doubt be clamped down on.

Personally, I think Anthony is well within his rights as a human being to hold such views and attend such meetings but FFS, where are his brains? He has the whole of his life after football to do what he wants and his employers must have made it clear how they are trying to change.

AndyM_1875
02-05-2014, 07:58 AM
The green brigade are fierce Irish republicans so of course they aren't going to condemn it. Not everyone categorises IRA activity as "murder and terrorism".
They will say they aren't being hypocritical because they are consistent when it comes to certain issues but the moment they claim to be any sort of tolerant institution they immediately contradict themselves. This green brigade are trying to have their cake and eat it when it comes to their opinions and I don't think that's possible in today's society. They need to either stop all the "Brits out", "FTQ" stuff or stop all the stuff that projects them as inclusive and tolerant.

As for the club and player, it's going to end up in a fine. They love their Irish heritage and the cash it brings but they aren't stupid enough to want to be associated with any political stuff over there. All the Che Guevara/love and peace imagery the green brigade project must make them happy as that's the sort of image they want. Republican quotes on banners and players attending any sort of republican gathering will not reflect well on the "new" Celtic and will no doubt be clamped down on.

Personally, I think Anthony is well within his rights as a human being to hold such views and attend such meetings but FFS, where are his brains? He has the whole of his life after football to do what he wants and his employers must have made it clear how they are trying to change.

That's true though I'd take issue with your description of the green brigade as fierce Irish Republicans. In my experience, they tend to be clueless daft wee ladies still living with their mums who like to think they are no end of the plastic rebel. Or they are sad pathetic burn outs bitter at life who haven't developed self awareness and never really understood that the fables their dad and grandfathers told them was bogus to begin with so they carry on feeding the daft wee boys their nonsense.

They say they're political, well I don't see politics with them, I just see schoolyard nonsense getting ever more cringe-worthy as time goes on..

Bostonhibby
02-05-2014, 08:05 AM
That's true though I'd take issue with your description of the green brigade as fierce Irish Republicans. In my experience, they tend to be clueless daft wee ladies still living with their mums who like to think they are no end of the plastic rebel. Or they are sad pathetic burn outs bitter at life who haven't developed self awareness and never really understood that the fables their dad and grandfathers told them was bogus to begin with so they carry on feeding the daft wee boys their nonsense.

They say they're political, well I don't see politics with them, I just see schoolyard nonsense getting ever more cringe-worthy as time goes on..

Agree this 100% - I have a good friend who is a well travelled celtc fan, he is a retired headmaster of a RC school and what you say is exactly what he tells me when I feed him the odd line about this bunch of inward lookers. He despairs at the image they project.

Nae sympathy here though:greengrin

The_Horde
02-05-2014, 09:04 AM
:agree: And you can spell abhor which is probably where you and Stokes part company.

If celtc are going to appear to take any type of moral high ground whilst actually trying to further their own particular ends they need to try to be consistent - by all means condemn a daft laddie singing what he shouldn't but the waters run a lot deeper and a lot darker where Stokes behaviour is concerned, its harder for them to actually do anything about it when they really haven't dealt with, and daren't deal with the hard core sectarian element whose support and cash they enjoy, not to mention the majority of plastic paddies with no clue about where they originate from.

Its times like this where you watch celtc being uncomfortable with the dilemma they face and the ambiguity with which they handle it that make me proud to be a Hibby even now. We probably shouldn't have encouraged them way back then.

Yup. But he can't spell Edinburgh on an envelope.. :wink:

emerald green
02-05-2014, 09:08 AM
I believe the Celtic fans did it a week or two before the Gorgie vermin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4KF1ZLqbs

Fair enough. Not going to quibble over that mate.

Keith_M
02-05-2014, 09:10 AM
....Not everyone categorises IRA activity as "murder and terrorism". ....

Perhaps the family of mother of ten, Jean McConville do. Their mother was abucted in the middle of the night, in front of screaming childen, having been judged by them as an informant. She was then murdered and buried in a secret grave.

They didn't even admit what had happened to the woman for years, releasing a public statement that she had ran away and abandoned her children. Not only had those poor kids lost their mother, they genuinely didn't know for years if she was alive or dead.

Oh yeah, they are SUCH heroes!

Am I offended by a football player singing songs in praise of that sc*m? Damn right I am!

GlenrothesHibee
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Imagine being a Celt. Not for me.

Moon unit
02-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Totally spot on mate!.....this is what its all about and they can't stomach it. As long he keeps hitting the back of the net they should not give a flying f...!

The guy was born. Hibbie and will die a Hibbie!...get used to it!

Sir David Gray
02-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Perhaps the family of mother of ten, Jean McConville do. Their mother was abucted in the middle of the night, in front of screaming childen, having been judged by them as an informant. She was then murdered and buried in a secret grave.

They didn't even admit what had happened to the woman for years, releasing a public statement that she had ran away and abandoned her children. Not only had those poor kids lost their mother, they genuinely didn't know for years if she was alive or dead.

Am I offended by a football player singing songs in praise of that sc*m? Damn right I am!

Well said. :top marks

She wasn't the only one to suffer at the hands of the IRA either.

With freedom fighters like that, who needs a terrorist?

Bronson
02-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Not that I agree with the singing or support the IRA in any way, but did a section of our support not sing pro-IRA songs in the 70s/80s?

Carheenlea
02-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Not that I agree with the singing or support the IRA in any way, but did a section of our support not sing pro-IRA songs in the 70s/80s?
I think that while it was not uncommon to hear "rebel songs" at Easter Road, such practice slowly started to die out with the advent of the modern day Troubles, and thankfully died out to the extent that they are not heard at all now.

NOLA
02-05-2014, 06:48 PM
bit of a non-story, his old man is a republican landlord is he not?

yeezus.
02-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Hear Hear

A Scottish Premiership player singing pro-IRA songs in a pub in Northern Ireland is bang out of order.

yeezus.
02-05-2014, 06:51 PM

I think so, was he not arrested over an arms raid?

Carheenlea
02-05-2014, 06:56 PM

It would be a bit of a non-story if Celtic and the Green Brigade didn`t keep banging on about how morally superior they are to every other club in Scotland and their supporters.

AndyM_1875
02-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Not since the early 1970s and I am told it stopped for three reasons. Firstly Tom Hart hated it and asked the ringleaders to drop it as it was embarrassing the club. They duly did over time.

Secondly, singing about the IRA didn't seem so funny when you were getting a new atrocity on your tv every week courtesy of them.And Finally many Hibs supporters have served In The British Army (like it or not). Many serving members of the Forces attended Easter Road then and now and it was both ignorant and disrespectful to be praising via some crap old songs the actions of a bunch of gangsters who would do their best to murder them.

One Day
02-05-2014, 08:21 PM
A Scottish Premiership player singing pro-IRA songs in a pub in Northern Ireland is bang out of order.

Out of order it certainly is but I cant say it offends me, neither would I be offended if the story was about Rangers player singing the sash in a Belfast pub. I have more important things to worry about, not least the plight of my own team at the moment.

CorrieHibs
02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Absolutely right mate they hate it that he doesn't hide that fact he is still a Hibby

One of my Celtic pals told me that deek was a Celtic fan when he signed for them lol.....the idiot truly believed he was!

Jonny1875
02-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Everyone who goes is a Celtic fan.
Yes his dad is a landlord in Dublin I think.
In my opinion he shouldn't be attending these but he gets treated like God at them.

SkintHibby
02-05-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm a passionate believer in a unified Ireland and am offended some of you only believe Celtic fans have this belief. Religion though - could not give a damn.

truehibernian
03-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I'm a passionate believer in a unified Ireland and am offended some of you only believe Celtic fans have this belief. Religion though - could not give a damn.

I'm a passionate believer that Celtic and Rangers perpetuate religious bigotry, sectarianism, bile and hatred using football as a platform !

Couldn't give two hoots about Ireland, similarly don't see why in 2014 we are still talking about fans being sectarian - politics and football shouldn't be in the same arena.

Glasgow's 'influence' over Scotland is sickening on all fronts.

Bostonhibby
03-05-2014, 06:48 AM

I'm an atheist who also believes in a united Ireland but killing people to achieve it makes no sense, worse when you then have morons who glorify, justify or fail to condemn those doing the killings because they happen to follow a football club that many have a patchy understanding of its history and dubious understanding of the country and cause they are singing about.

Don't get me started on the huns :-)

Keith_M
03-05-2014, 08:09 AM

That has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. Trying reading what we were talking about before you start giving your views.

Scottie
03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Not since the early 1970s and I am told it stopped for three reasons. Firstly Tom Hart hated it and asked the ringleaders to drop it as it was embarrassing the club. They duly did over time.

Secondly, singing about the IRA didn't seem so funny when you were getting a new atrocity on your tv every week courtesy of them.And Finally many Hibs supporters have served In The British Army (like it or not). Many serving members of the Forces attended Easter Road then and now and it was both ignorant and disrespectful to be praising via some crap old songs the actions of a bunch of gangsters who would do their best to murder them.
Excellent post AndyM

Some people have very short memories of what exactly happened and is still happening underground now. I was one of those what you call (like it or not) serving members during the atrocities and the memories I carry with me every day still haunt me now.

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2014, 10:19 AM
As I understand it behind the Griffiths banner was one pointing out Celtic's roots in an immigrant community and stating that immigrants were "welcome"

That is where the Skacel song ( not to mention the disgusting Edinburgh is wonderful song ) gets us. It allows the ( cringeworthy ) green brigade to not only grab the moral high ground, but makes us look bad in the process.

As celtic are in the west we should be in the East ...... That is, the club of choice for people who have settled from eastern Europe. Given the history of Hibs we should be seen as a welcoming and open destination for these potential Hibbies and future Scots. Heaven forbid that the stupid actions of a minority of our support, Leigh Griffths included, should turn these folk away from Easter Road.

Annoying though the actions of the green brigade are, we should be even more annoyed at the idiots in our own support who give them the opportunity to do it and drag the word Hibby through the mud in the process.

VivaHiberña
03-05-2014, 01:33 PM
As I understand it behind the Griffiths banner was one pointing out Celtic's roots in an immigrant community and stating that immigrants were "welcome"

That is where the Skacel song ( not to mention the disgusting Edinburgh is wonderful song ) gets us. It allows the ( cringeworthy ) green brigade to not only grab the moral high ground, but makes us look bad in the process.

As celtic are in the west we should be in the East ...... That is, the club of choice for people who have settled from eastern Europe. Given the history of Hibs we should be seen as a welcoming and open destination for these potential Hibbies and future Scots. Heaven forbid that the stupid actions of a minority of our support, Leigh Griffths included, should turn these folk away from Easter Road.

Annoying though the actions of the green brigade are, we should be even more annoyed at the idiots in our own support who give them the opportunity to do it and drag the word Hibby through the mud in the process.

:agree: The real scandal wasn't the one numpty singing a song but the fact that there was a whole pub of numpties joining in.

My point regarding Stokes was to see whether the IRA apologists at Parkhead will give him a telling off too. Doubtful since they are massive hypocrites.

brog
03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
One of my Celtic pals told me that deek was a Celtic fan when he signed for them lol.....the idiot truly believed he was!

I used to be told the same about Pat Stanton all the time. There really is no limit to the arrogance or stupidity of Celtc fans.

VivaHiberña
03-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I used to be told the same about Pat Stanton all the time. There really is no limit to the arrogance or stupidity of Celtc fans.

They could discover an Amazonian tribe that has had no contact with the outside world for centuries and in which not a single member has ever seen a football before and sign one of them up, and those fannies would still be adamant that it was his "lifelong dream to pull on the hoops."

Forza Fred
04-05-2014, 06:11 AM

Surely there is room for complaint if he sung badly:wink:

givescotlandfreedom
04-05-2014, 09:48 AM
A German pal of mine met some Celtc fans last night wearing T-Shirts with Skacel on them in support of him after the song.
Obviously forgotten about their manager going bananas when he claimed he spat on by him.

Future17
04-05-2014, 10:55 AM
A German pal of mine met some Celtc fans last night wearing T-Shirts with Skacel on them in support of him after the song.
Obviously forgotten about their manager going bananas when he claimed he spat on by him.

Eh? Where was this (as in the t-shirt wearing, not the spitting)?