PDA

View Full Version : Latest Terry Butcher Interview

The Sea-gull
01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27241356

Comes across ok all things considered. Honest enough to say he has been trying to find the right blend and, without going overboard about it, seems as confident as he can be that he has found it. I detect that there may have genunienly been a different (and better) atmosphere in training this week and they'll come out and say this meaning it rather than just saying it.

OK, he should have found a blend quicker and should be doing better but he hasn't and he isn't. Really need a focus on the here and now and I think this interview hits the mark ahead of the weekend. We weren't great on Sunday and as he says, like the last 5 we got nothing from the game but good to build the players confidence by highlighting that for the first time in weeks there is a wee glimmer that there is something we can take into the next game and also that there might be a wee bit of continuity in terms of personnel and shape.

Based on his comments here, sounds as though the team will be the same at the weekend barring any changes inforced due to suspension or injury. Think Forster is out suspended?

I myself am starting to feel a wee bit more upbeat about things and, while i wouldn't put my house on it, am just getting a wee feeling that we'll do enough in our last three games (that might only need to be winning one and drawing one) to avoid the play off.

I'd still rather we went with more than one up front at home but I think the team on Saturday will be as follows and this would probably be what I'd go with too:-

Williams

Maybury - Nelson - McGivern - Stevenson

Robertson - Thomson - Craig

Harris - Stanton

Cummings

There is some talk about McPake coming in and if he did he may go in the middle instead of McGivern who'll be LB and Lewis back to the bench. My own opinion is that it is too risky to play McPake though that said, we have been shipping goals and things can't really get much worse at that end of the pitch.

Bobby's Cinema
01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
We did play better second half Sunday. I'm not enjoying all this talk about being 'delighted' after defeats, never mind derbies where we all know only one thing matters. Interesting to see what team he goes with. Get Lewis back in :aok:

greenpaper55
01-05-2014, 04:21 PM
We were better than Hearts for long periods and i was quite encouraged by some of the play and we deserved something from the game. I never thought i would welcome back Mcpake but if he was fit he might be the answer to our central defence problem.

johnrebus
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
The usual pish.

greenlex
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
The usual pish. Aye. Far better to tell us we have nae chance of beating anyone else this season and are certs for the drop.

Onceinawhile
01-05-2014, 05:14 PM
He had a winning blend when he came in (1 defeat in 9) so where did it go? Scott Robertson is the key imo. 3 points on Saturday and we look good.

Blaster
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
He had a winning blend when he came in (1 defeat in 9) so where did it go? Scott Robertson is the key imo. 3 points on Saturday and we look good.

Answered your own question there. Also hanlon missed the home game against st mirren, Mcgivern got injured early in that same game and our defence hasn't been the same since

Pedantic_Hibee
01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
McGivern is absolutely pony. Terrible in the tackle, positionally suspect and so one footed it's actually painful. I hate to denigrate a Hibs player but if he's the answer to our left-back problems I dread to think what the question is.

eastterrace
01-05-2014, 06:04 PM
McGivern is absolutely pony. Terrible in the tackle, positionally suspect and so one footed it's actually painful. I hate to denigrate a Hibs player but if he's the answer to our left-back problems I dread to think what the question is.

hope you dont want stevenson in at left back as they will target him, ones as bad as the other but i just prefer mcgivern

Ronniekirk
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Robertson is having to play to get match fit and obviously he was rusty against Hearts.and that affected his game so will be a bit fitter and stronger in this game .Anyone know if Partick have any injury worries or suspensions to contend with?

J-C
01-05-2014, 06:55 PM
You just wonder when he says searching for a blend, he really means playing players in their proper positions and to their strengths and not trying to make them play out of their comfort zones.

Centre Hawf
01-05-2014, 07:01 PM
It's been evident how much we miss Robertson and Hanlon but also Stevenson has to start for me this week, he and McGivern have a good understanding when paired with each other on the left hand side, also Stevenson was like a new signing when Butcher came in and played him in the wide left role, he needs to back to that.

Onion
01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
We did play better second half Sunday. I'm not enjoying all this talk about being 'delighted' after defeats, never mind derbies where we all know only one thing matters. Interesting to see what team he goes with. Get Lewis back in :aok:

Not even nearly fooled by this. We were 0-2 down and allowed to play by the Yams who were happy to let us have the ball, knowing they could keep us at bay (and they did). Same with St Mirren at 0-2 the previous week. When it was 11 v 11 and 0-0, there was only one team threatening and we were not in the game.

Smartie
01-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with this over the course of this season I thought that he had his best game in ages last Sunday. He was a bit quick to dive in when he should have stayed on his feet but it was a derby and we'd have hammered him if he hadn't.

The sad fact is that I'm not at all convinced the alternatives we currently have would be any better. One of the first positions to be improved upon next season imo.

Billychaotic182
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Tbf to butcher what he said is Mostly true. We just need to back it up now

Craig_in_Prague
01-05-2014, 08:14 PM
3 games to save his job but more importantly sending our club down and out top league for possibly years. Use all your so called 'leader' knowledge and get us enough **** points.

J-C
01-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Whilst I'm inclined to agree with this over the course of this season I thought that he had his best game in ages last Sunday. He was a bit quick to dive in when he should have stayed on his feet but it was a derby and we'd have hammered him if he hadn't.

The sad fact is that I'm not at all convinced the alternatives we currently have would be any better. One of the first positions to be improved upon next season imo.

Got a wee feeling Butcher might go with 2 wingbacks next season, the way Shinnie plays he's very attack minded and Butcher used 2 dm's as cover. 2 solid ch's and 2 dm's allowing the midfield and wingbacks to attack with pace.

Bobby's Cinema
01-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Not even nearly fooled by this. We were 0-2 down and allowed to play by the Yams who were happy to let us have the ball, knowing they could keep us at bay (and they did). Same with St Mirren at 0-2 the previous week. When it was 11 v 11 and 0-0, there was only one team threatening and we were not in the game.
And I agree with you 100%. We have little to cling to

Ronniekirk
01-05-2014, 08:30 PM
And I agree with you 100%. We have little to cling to
Geeze oh next you will be suggesting we follow hearts example and appoint a Chaplain to the club for Spiritual guidance . When I first heard heard the story wondered if his first name was Charlie .:wink:

CropleyWasGod
01-05-2014, 08:57 PM
3 games to save his job but more importantly sending our club down and out top league for possibly years. Use all your so called 'leader' knowledge and get us enough **** points.

5 Shirley?

Bobby's Cinema
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Geeze oh next you will be suggesting we follow hearts example and appoint a Chaplain to the club for Spiritual guidance . When I first heard heard the story wondered if his first name was Charlie .:wink:
nope, right over my head this :duck:

Craig_in_Prague
01-05-2014, 10:06 PM
5 Shirley?

Indeed
My feeling is if we end 11th, we'll go down. These losers won't win a playoff.

Tyler Durden
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Got a wee feeling Butcher might go with 2 wingbacks next season, the way Shinnie plays he's very attack minded and Butcher used 2 dm's as cover. 2 solid ch's and 2 dm's allowing the midfield and wingbacks to attack with pace.

I agree with your point but they are not wing backs, they are just good fullbacks! Shinnie can play either side and he defends well and has pace and skill to attack too. 2 good full backs of his quality would make our CBs look a lot better IMO.

McGivern has regressed so much this year, barely recognisable as the player we had on loan. And let's not start on Fenlons attempts to sign a right back - Maybury should be nowhere near our team but we have no option.