PDA

View Full Version : BBC Sport Analysis pages

DarrenSQH
01-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Lately I have been wondering whats going on with the BBCs stories against us. (fair enough we have been terrible) However if you go on to the Scottish Football page on the BBC there are 5 articles in recent weeks having a go at us.

("fight for survival" Richard Wilson 1.5.2014, "Hearts send Hibs deeper" Tom English 27.4.2014, "Do hibs have stomach for fight" richard wilson 20.4.2014, "Griffiths singing not music to hibs ears" 2.4.2014 tom english, "Derby brings out best in hearts" 30.3.2014.)

Just wonder why a team like Killie thats sitting in 11th have escaped criticism yet on a weekly basis we get a new article that has a go the club. It seems like BBC sport scotland is loving this.

The other other teams with articles in the same period are hearts with 2 stories and then Celtic, Rangers, Utd and St johnstone with 1 each. I just feel like they are jumping on Hibs at any oppurtunity at the moment.

Hope we can shut them up on saturday.

Paloschi
01-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Lately I have been wondering whats going on with the BBCs stories against us. (fair enough we have been terrible) However if you go on to the Scottish Football page on the BBC there are 5 articles in recent weeks having a go at us.

("fight for survival" Richard Wilson 1.5.2014, "Hearts send Hibs deeper" Tom English 27.4.2014, "Do hibs have stomach for fight" richard wilson 20.4.2014, "Griffiths singing not music to hibs ears" 2.4.2014 tom english, "Derby brings out best in hearts" 30.3.2014.)

Just wonder why a team like Killie thats sitting in 11th have escaped criticism yet on a weekly basis we get a new article that has a go the club. It seems like BBC sport scotland is loving this.

The other other teams with articles in the same period are hearts with 2 stories and then Celtic, Rangers, Utd and St johnstone with 1 each. I just feel like they are jumping on Hibs at any oppurtunity at the moment.

Agree. Actually think it's disgusting media coverage. Not even hiding their pleasure. Who is Tom English anyway? I'd rather listen to Kenny Shiels or John Brown hammer on for 30 minutes!

They go on about Hearts battling bravely forgetting about their cheating exploits that got them the points deduction in the first place.

I said on another thread it will be a big 'get it right up ye' if we win on Saturday.

The Sea-gull
01-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Lately I have been wondering whats going on with the BBCs stories against us. (fair enough we have been terrible) However if you go on to the Scottish Football page on the BBC there are 5 articles in recent weeks having a go at us and in their survival prediction today they have us predicted 11th.

Reasons for this (in no particular order and I am sure there are others):-

We've been rubbish.
We're a bigger club that the rest so it is more of a story that we are in the brown stuff than the others.
The media generally don't have a lot of time for us as we are not considered "media friendly". I suspect the appointment of TB as manager was in part because he would perhaps improve relations in this area and this probably has something to do with the new CEO coming in too.
I have heard the particualr organisation you reference employs a few fans of a certain team in their sports production staff. The general disdain towards Hibs from the BBC has spread right accross it's radio, tv and web output but we are giving them plenty sticks to beat us with just now. I have definitely felt for a few years now that, despite our poor pefromance and a lot of it being justified, BBC tend to stick the boot in a wee bit too readily and seem to enjoy doing it. I first noticed it towards the end of Yogi's tenure though in fairness we have been pretty shambolic since then.

Bertie's XI
01-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Think it's because the media to some extent reflects the opinions of fans. At the moment Hibs fans are the most disgruntled out of the teams down the bottom. Also it could be seen as a compliment as it shows that people don't expect a club like Hibs to be in a relegation battle.

johnbc70
01-05-2014, 01:21 PM
There's an article on the site today assessing who will finish 11th and end up in the play off spot. No prizes for guessing who the BBC have chosen.

Geo_1875
01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
There's an article on the site today assessing who will finish 11th and end up in the play off spot. No prizes for guessing who the BBC have chosen.

And they're saying "There seems a lack of unity in the dressing room."

How the **** would they know?

Sylar
01-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Celtc fans constantly whinge that BBC Scotland is pro-Rangers. Rangers constantly decry the BBC for its anti-Rangers bias and the club banned their reporters from Ibrox for a while (don't know if it's still in force?).

Hearts fans decried the BBC for their 'gleeful' coverage of their financial problems (as did Livingston, Dundee and Gretna before them). Dundee United fans have been critical of the lack of praise they've received from the BBC.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle fans have lambasted the BBC twice this season, most recently for their coverage of their 'complaints' about the League Cup final destination and ticket allocation.

If the BBC is 'anti-Hibs', it's anti-everyotherclub in the eyes of those clubs' supporters.

Leith Mo
01-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Re the comment on Jambos at BBC Sport Scotland, a good friend of mine is/was Head of Sport for BBC Scotland and is a Jambo though he has claimed at no point had that influenced any TV coverage - admittedly he was talking about that form of media only. He is also good friends with Pat Nevin whom he (IMO) rightly states has no bias whatsoever in is coverage of any team despite his fondness for our Club.

At the game on Sunday, I asked a steward to retrieve a scarf which had been thrown on to the track, but was told it "would lie there until half time." A photographer was walking down the track so I leaned out and asked him to throw it back into the East. This he duly did, but not before bending down with his zoom lens, taking a photo of it lying there and grinning from ear to ear.

After the game I had intended going straight to the Hibs Club but as Albion Road was blocked I looked in the car park with my mate to see if there was any form of protest behind the West. On exiting the car park the media/BT commentary box was getting pelters for being "vultures" who want to see us down. This is the truth in my opinion, and whilst I would like to think it could be taken as a sign of "respect" as we are allegedly a "bigger Club" I think it is more symptomatic of the FACT that we are as a Club soft in dealing with adversity in whatever form it presents itself be it: the media; dodgy decisions (Craig Thompson in particular); sectarian singing (Hello Hello We are the Gorgie Billy Boys again on Sunday); and also the scheduling of matches.

CropleyWasGod
01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Celtc fans constantly whinge that BBC Scotland is pro-Rangers. Rangers constantly decry the BBC for its anti-Rangers bias and the club banned their reporters from Ibrox for a while (don't know if it's still in force?).

Hearts fans decried the BBC for their 'gleeful' coverage of their financial problems (as did Livingston, Dundee and Gretna before them). Dundee United fans have been critical of the lack of praise they've received from the BBC.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle fans have lambasted the BBC twice this season, most recently for their coverage of their 'complaints' about the League Cup final destination and ticket allocation.

If the BBC is 'anti-Hibs', it's anti-everyotherclub in the eyes of those clubs' supporters.

Abso-bloody-lutely.

It's in the DNA of fitba' fans to think that they get the rough edge of things. Refs, animals in other teams, the media... they're all out to get us. Sometimes it is justified, but most times IMO it's not.

YehButNoBut
01-05-2014, 01:30 PM

What do you expect as on recent form we are the favourite for the 11th spot.

Also the BBC Head of sport a few years back was from a family of Hearts ST holders. I dont think he is in the job now but may have some influence over content.

Leith Mo
01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
[
Also the BBC Head of sport a few years back was from a family of Hearts ST holders. I dont think he is in the job now but may have some influence over content.[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about a tall fair haired laddie from Willowbrae area who is married to a doctor in Glasgow? That's who my mate is but not sure if he is still in the job or not?

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-05-2014, 01:45 PM
BBC Sport is a morass of pro old firm bias and anti Hibs bias, always has been and always will be, partly due to the utter silence that comes out of our boardroom not at least fighting back at stupid allegations and comments.

Hopefully with that clown Petrie out of the way we will have our new CE to tell them where to shove their pish about us.

Gaun yersel hen!

:not worth

YehButNoBut
01-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Are we talking about a tall fair haired laddie from Willowbrae area who is married to a doctor in Glasgow? That's who my mate is but not sure if he is still in the job or not?[/QUOTE]

Yes same lad, initials are DH, don't think he is doing sports now.

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2014, 02:05 PM
maybe a different BBC department but i remember Richard Gordon saying on Sportsound several months ago that the producer(iirc) of the show was a Hibby :agree: it was either Sportsound or Off the ball but positive it was the Former :dj:

greenpaper55
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Just saw the report on the BBC about our plight, Really negative report from them as usual then a wee word with Mike Riley.

Ronniekirk
01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Abso-bloody-lutely.

It's in the DNA of fitba' fans to think that they get the rough edge of things. Refs, animals in other teams, the media... they're all out to get us. Sometimes it is justified, but most times IMO it's not.

And in our case the form in last six games tells us we are worse than the other Teams .Concede more than we score it's not Rocket Science .What we need to shut them all up is a win Butcher says he has found a Blend so assume apart from a decision about whether to bring in McPake with Foster Suspended the team will be along the same lines .To Score we need to push up more and support Cummings in that first half he was too isolated but they have pace that can hurt us so as T B keeps saying First Goal could be crucial but now we really do have to find a way to score that goal a performance like Motherwell 3 3 game is needed but with score line 3 2 in our favour this time .:wink::flag:Moan the Hibs

SanFranHibs
01-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Perhaps their criticism is given with a little too much eagerness but I think it is necessary for the people that run Hibs to hear criticism other than disgruntled terraces or fan forums.

I think we can handle it.

:thumbsup:

Onion
01-05-2014, 07:18 PM

There is an established method for calculating media sentiment in PR circles. Wonder of Hibs monitor this, or if not, maybe LD could add to her "to do" list when she arrives at ER.

I'll bet Hibs are bottom of the league by some distance.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
And they're saying "There seems a lack of unity in the dressing room."

How the **** would they know?

You can put "seems" into any claim (fantastical or otherwise)

Sir David Gray
01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
The coverage we get from the BBC is shocking but the only people who are able to change that are the players and everyone else working on the footballing side at the club.

The sooner we start winning, they'll have no choice but to focus elsewhere.

Nutmegged
01-05-2014, 07:51 PM
I can't fault the media for 'picking on us'

As far as the Bottom 6 goes, Hibs at this moment in time are the story, all season long everyone has knew Hearts were going down, its the collapse from Hibs that has been intriguing I'd suspect from a neutrals point of view.

We are clearly the biggest club from the 5 fighting this Play-Off and we're dropping like a stone, we can't score goals and we can't keep a clean sheet, its near on impossible to not talk about us.

Hibernian are a mystery, I honestly believe the squad isn't that bad, its top 6 squad managed poorly in my opinion, I think the journos might be of the same opinion, everything about the club screams it should be challenging for Europe, particularly with no Rangers and Hearts being on -15, With that in mind then its easy to see why Journalists constantly find stories about us, everyone thinks we are massively underachieving, that kinda thing basically invites criticism...as long as its honest, constructive and not destructive

ekhibee
01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I used to think that the articles on the BBC website wern't nearly as biased as the views of those on Sportsound but now I have my doubts. Of course, we are ***** just now, but somebody on an earlier post quite rightly pointed out that Killie have not received half the attention we have as regards this. The one person who hasn't slagged us off recently seems to be the Thistle manager Alan Archibald. There's no doubt the five year plan we supposedly have should involve letting a corrupt Lithuanian millionaire buy the majority holding in the club, outrageously overspend for two or three seasons, concentrating on outbidding our local rivals every time they show an interest in any player, make outrageously OTT statements to keep the 400k fans we have happy, then when it all goes tits up play the sympathy card to everybody and go cap in hand to our loyal buddies at BBC Sportsound, they'll give us all the free publicity we need to get through the rough times. It might also be worth asking Ross County to help us out too, considering the financial contribution they made to the Federation of Hearts last week. We've still got to find a player to knock Derek Adams over though- no problem, I'll do it for nothing.

Leith Mo
02-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes same lad, initials are DH, don't think he is doing sports now.[/QUOTE]

That's the man! Not seen him for a while either if you see him tell him Mo says hello

The_Horde
02-05-2014, 12:17 PM
There's no story in anybody else going down. Hibs going down would be a story. That's simply it!