PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Suggestions For Leeann

Dan Sarf
01-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Here's mine:

IMHO, it's all about the quality of the players. Get good players and everything else will follow. Therefore, everything from now on must be focussed on finding them, affording them and getting them signed up. We can worry about the quality of the pies later.

VivaHiberņa
01-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I would point out that the best Hibs teams always have a large compliment of proper "Hibs men," be it the Famous Five, the Tornadoes or the "Golden Generation." Going further back you could talk about the teams of Irishmen that won cups and the league from the 1880s to the 1900s. Out out this current team, whenever you ask someone "Who would you keep?/ If you could only keep x players who would it be?" the only name that seems to come up that isn't a home-grown player is Robertson. This is clearly not a coincidence.

Learning from this, and from some of the other currently good teams in the league (Arabs and Dons), it's clear that youth backed up with and learning from a spine of good pros is the only way. Stop signing too many ok/average players (eg Tudor-Jones, Nelson*) and invest in the long-term at EM with top-class coaching backed up with solid, experienced top three/four-standard players to help youth along, players like Robertson, Boozy, Rob Jones etc.

Essentially, plan for the long-term, invest very heavily in youth and back this up with quality over quantity.

*This isn't a dig at those players individually, there are already enough threads on the go for that sort of thing. I'm not saying they're bad players per se rather that they're just not good enough for where we should be as a club.

WestEndHibee
01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
I would point out that the best Hibs teams always have a large compliment of proper "Hibs men," be it the Famous Five, the Tornadoes or the "Golden Generation." Going further back you could talk about the teams of Irishmen that won cups and the league from the 1880s to the 1900s. Out out this current team, whenever you ask someone "Who would you keep?/ If you could only keep x players who would it be?" the only name that seems to come up that isn't a home-grown player is Robertson. This is clearly not a coincidence.

Learning from this, and from some of the other currently good teams in the league (Arabs and Dons), it's clear that youth backed up with and learning from a spine of good pros is the only way. Stop signing too many ok/average players (eg Tudor-Jones, Nelson*) and invest in the long-term at EM with top-class coaching backed up with solid, experienced top three/four-standard players to help youth along, players like Robertson, Boozy, Rob Jones etc.

Essentially, plan for the long-term, invest very heavily in youth and back this up with quality over quantity.

*This isn't a dig at those players individually, there are already enough threads on the go for that sort of thing. I'm not saying they're bad players per se rather that they're just not good enough for where we should be as a club.

Exactly. I'd rather watch a team with youth and a few older, more experienced players trying to play good football than I would a team packed with journeymen hoofing the ball up the park. Even if it mean't we were only challenging for midtable (as we are at best at the moment) I'd rather see our own players and a good style. develop.

chinaman
01-05-2014, 12:37 PM

*This isn't a dig at those players individually, there are already enough threads on the go for that sort of thing. I'm not saying they're bad players per se rather that they're just not good enough for where we should be as a club.sam stanton ?????

VivaHiberņa
01-05-2014, 12:45 PM
sam stanton ?????

What about him?

carnoustiehibee
01-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Don't read hibs.net would be my suggestion

WestEndHibee
01-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Don't be caught smiling unless Hibs have won is another.

southsider
01-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Get the team a "spine". Goalkeeper who came come out, command his box and take crosses in there at their highest point. Commanding Jones/Hughes/Stewart type no-nonsense centre half. KT with younger players who can be his legs. Kris Boyd up front. That would be a start.

chinaman
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
What about him?
Missed the bit about" home grown players " thought you were saying robertson was our best player, sincerest apologies.

Eyrie
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Some of the suggestions so far are more Butcher's responsibility. I don't want a CEO picking the squad.

One area that is in her remit is to improve our relationship with the media so that the coverage we receive is more positive. And if things haven't improved by the AGM then serve the journalists the same "food" the supporters get until they take the hint.

Actually, the food is another area for improvement please.

VivaHiberņa
01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Missed the bit about" home grown players " thought you were saying robertson was our best player, sincerest apologies.

No worries mate and nothing to apologise for. :greengrin

Vini1875
01-05-2014, 01:27 PM
If as been largely quoted we have a wage cap, then that is a philosophy that has to change. I would think three or four star players, along with journey men and supported by young players would be a wiser way to spend our budget. Even with one star player LG we were a different team. I think three high earning, high performing players would be enough to raise the standard of the guys around them.

dmc1875
01-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I would say its more important for us to get in players with a strong feeling towards the club. As has been mentioned above, most of the best Hibs teams gone by have always had a strong core of Hibs fans throughout.

The one thing you would be guaranteed is desire week in, week out. Dare I say it, see Hearts this season. A core team of Hearts supporters, a main reason they raise their game so much in the Derby.

The question then comes down to Terry to find these players of a certain quality. There are a fair few decent Hibees out there though

gegs70
01-05-2014, 01:40 PM
She needs to ensure players of sauzee quality are brought in so that youth players can learn from these players. No point in bringing in journeymen or loan deals anymore.

Also perhaps look at the cost and what supporters are willing to pay remember they need to.encourage supporters young and old back....

Perhaps look at ways they can bring in more money to bring in players of a better quality.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
As someone mentioned earlier quality over quantity please.

PeterboroHibee
01-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Our major failing is recruitment of players. Most of the managers weve had seem to identify good players, but we inevitably lose them to other clubs. We then end up with second rate players on wages that are probably far beyond their worth, and we find ourselves in situations like the current season.

I think we are good at bringing through young players, but the more recent guys to come through the academy have found themselves coming into poor, struggling teams, full of players with the wrong attitudes, and regular managerial changes. If a manager is backed properly and we dont miss out on nearly all his targets then I think we can be successful. But then I suppose it depends what those in charge see as success...

Dan Sarf
01-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Some of the suggestions so far are more Butcher's responsibility. I don't want a CEO picking the squad.

One area that is in her remit is to improve our relationship with the media so that the coverage we receive is more positive. And if things haven't improved by the AGM then serve the journalists the same "food" the supporters get until they take the hint.

Actually, the food is another area for improvement please.

The only way Terry can do his job is if she does hers. That means setting up a better system for finding good players, devising better ways of making enough money to be able to afford good players, and working on our reputation so good players want to sign up for us.

Did I mention it's all about good players?

dangermouse
01-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Our major failing is recruitment of players. Most of the managers weve had seem to identify good players, but we inevitably lose them to other clubs. We then end up with second rate players on wages that are probably far beyond their worth, and we find ourselves in situations like the current season.

I think we are good at bringing through young players, but the more recent guys to come through the academy have found themselves coming into poor, struggling teams, full of players with the wrong attitudes, and regular managerial changes. If a manager is backed properly and we dont miss out on nearly all his targets then I think we can be successful. But then I suppose it depends what those in charge see as success...

As proven last night when the EOS team beat the winners of the EOS premier league (albeit in extra time). This was a team packed with up and coming talent not one filled with first team players.

Jonnyboy
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
She needs to ensure players of sauzee quality are brought in so that youth players can learn from these players. No point in bringing in journeymen or loan deals anymore.

Also perhaps look at the cost and what supporters are willing to pay remember they need to.encourage supporters young and old back....

Perhaps look at ways they can bring in more money to bring in players of a better quality.

Don't hold your breath! Sauzee quality = former winner of the European Cup. Not many around that would join Hibs I'm afraid

I think it more likely that we will get players TB sees as fitting into his style. They may well be unknown's like Billy McKay and James Vincent were. It'll be interesting to see how some posters react to such signings.

For the record, I'd like to see us sign one or two quality players but it takes money to do that and with season ticket sales seemingly down ..................

Weststandwanab
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Don't read hibs.net would be my suggestion Absolutely spot on.

VivaHiberņa
01-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Apparently reading .net is the one thing we can be certain she will do. Once this place cheers up a wee bit that might not be so bad; this club desperately needs to reconnect with the support and the community, a point I missed out in my earlier post.

(Ms Dempster, please can we have a purple away strip? Pleeeeease?)

Smartie
01-05-2014, 04:00 PM
If you ever get the chance to buy Leigh Griffiths for Ģ150,000 just do it. It'll save us all a whole lot of time, hassle and aggro.

Oh, and if the first team players demand that they come round to your house for a meeting because they're unhappy with the manager's methods, just say no.

Yours,

Roderick Ebenezer Petrie

xx

HibbyDave
01-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Leave the team and all associated bits to TB. Get out and meet/convince some people to put cash into the club. If we have such a great infrastructure etc why don't/cant we attract investors?

Onion
01-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Instil a high performance culture throughout the club, set realistic but stretching targets, surround yourself with "can-do" people, regard mediocrity as failure, be accountable for the on-field performance, set short, med and long-term strategy for the club which matches fans realistic expectations, re-engage fans and make us proud.

Ensure everything the club does supports the above.

Don't stop.

If successful, don't leave.

That takes care for month 1 :wink:

IanM
01-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Run the club as a football club

Captain Trips
01-05-2014, 04:23 PM
She doesnt need to do anything regarding the team except let manager know if we can afford the player he wants no other input is required.

WestEndHibee
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
She doesnt need to do anything regarding the team except let manager know if we can afford the player he wants no other input is required.

That'll go well.

The Green Goblin
01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I think she could already achieve a lot simply by getting herself out there and being a much more visible and approachable figurehead for the club, someone with whom everyone identifies as being the face of the club. A proper leader.

weonlywon6-2
01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Here's mine:

IMHO, it's all about the quality of the players. Get good players and everything else will follow. Therefore, everything from now on must be focussed on finding them, affording them and getting them signed up. We can worry about the quality of the pies later.

Pole dancing club in the north stand,could take our minds of the football ?

Smartie
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
I think she could already achieve a lot simply by getting herself out there and being a much more visible and approachable figurehead for the club, someone with whom everyone identifies as being the face of the club. A proper leader.

Apart from the "proper leader" bit I don't think that these are criticisms that could have been fairly applied to Rod. He did his pre-match walkabouts so was reasonably out there, visible and approachable. We all know he was the face of the club.

I'd be happier to know that any of the feedback given to the board was actually thought about and action considered as a result though. That was where I felt Rod fell down.

Dan Sarf
01-05-2014, 05:28 PM

Leann, let's go with this one. Forget all the other stuff. Excellent thinking. Job done.

down-the-slope
01-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Could not disagree with this more... One of the reasons we are in the mess we have been for years is that everything to do with players day to day has been left to the ever changing managers. Manager changes so does the culture.

I was not alone in being staggered at one of the first LWT Q&A's that the answer by Scott Lindsay about the perceived deficiencies in the culture of the players at the time (Post that Final) was down to the manager - when it was asked for clarity that did that mean that management / board etc did not set culture / expectations of what being a player at our club was he confirmed this and seemed surprised that many in the room found this bizarre and appalling.

What other organisation would allow a manager to dictate / alter culture without reference to consultation / senior execs etc.

There should be minimum standards and set ways of doing not doing at our club that are not arbitrarily changed by every new manager

I would hope our new CEO pursues 'the Hibernian way' as a matter of priority.

Seems random to chose one Euro countries citizens to be given such priority...

Captain Trips
01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Could not disagree with this more... One of the reasons we are in the mess we have been for years is that everything to do with players day to day has been left to the ever changing managers. Manager changes so does the culture.

I was not alone in being staggered at one of the first LWT Q&A's that the answer by Scott Lindsay about the perceived deficiencies in the culture of the players at the time (Post that Final) was down to the manager - when it was asked for clarity that did that mean that management / board etc did not set culture / expectations of what being a player at our club was he confirmed this and seemed surprised that many in the room found this bizarre and appalling.

What other organisation would allow a manager to dictate / alter culture without reference to consultation / senior execs etc.

There should be minimum standards and set ways of doing not doing at our club that are not arbitrarily changed by every new manager

The reason we are in this mess is we havent had the right managers. The board for me should have nothing to do with the "culture" of the team unless there is a DOF inbetween then that is a different story. I want all football pitch business with manager. If there is a "culture" issue with team thats managers fault if there is an unprofessional culture from boardroom level then thats different.

I was and never have bought into this problem culture at Hibs I think the problems are very bad decisions have been made.

IMO we need somebody inbetween so a DOF is an idea I hope she explores.

The Green Goblin
01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Apart from the "proper leader" bit I don't think that these are criticisms that could have been fairly applied to Rod. He did his pre-match walkabouts so was reasonably out there, visible and approachable. We all know he was the face of the club.

I'd be happier to know that any of the feedback given to the board was actually thought about and action considered as a result though. That was where I felt Rod fell down.

I didn`t actually mean that as a dig at RP, but I can see why it might have come across that way. I just meant it at face value. On that subject though, RP has done a lot of good things for Hibs, but I don`t think he`s the figurehead leader that everyone can identify with.

SouthamptonHibs
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Concentrate 100% on getting the first team right, forget about the community stuff and Hibernians woman's team etc just sort out the first team.
If you do that the crowds will be back. That's the only way to run the football team and grow the fan base. WINNING FIRST TEAM GAMES and playing good football

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2014, 07:17 PM

We were all staggered but to be fair to Scott iirc it was discipline that was determined by the manager? That itself quite an astonishing statement. I think he may have felt backed into a corner and perhaps would have reworded things in different circumstances I think he was focusing on the antics of certain players at the time - which I think he said Pat was dealing with.

I'm not defending Scott but he at least took things on the chin that day and faced the music on behalf of the board.

Onion
01-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Can you ever imagine that happening at Celtic, Sevco or even the PBS. Absolutely not. There will be a clear steer on what's acceptable, what's important, good/bad behaviour and expectations. I can't actually believe Scott Lindsay said that but it tells you everything you need to know about Hibernian FC and the culture of leadership from the bottom :cb

weonlywon6-2
01-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Have you been to the clubs in warsaw !!!

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM
I'd recommend investing in a captain who is a proven leader who would more than pay for himself.

Do not devalue the role by employing someone in the role without the qualities required or as a means of getting around a wage cap to get a certain player.

Nutmegged
01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm not so sure Leanne's job will be to find a better quality of player although it might be her job to decide who we can afford to splash that extra Ģ500 p/w on

Waxy
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Sorry guys, i think it's Leeann thats gonna be giving us the helpful suggestions.That's why we're greteful she's agreed to join us.

gegs70
02-05-2014, 02:41 AM
Don't hold your breath! Sauzee quality = former winner of the European Cup. Not many around that would join Hibs I'm afraid

I think it more likely that we will get players TB sees as fitting into his style. They may well be unknown's like Billy McKay and James Vincent were. It'll be interesting to see how some posters react to such signings.

For the record, I'd like to see us sign one or two quality players but it takes money to do that and with season ticket sales seemingly down ..................

I know we possibly won't sign anyone of sauzee calibre but quality more than quantity in the core of the team.

hibby67
02-05-2014, 05:22 AM
I think the biggest job she will have to do is to try and get a bit of positivity back for the club
there has been a lot of supporters that have become dissolution with the club and the dross we have been watching for the last few years and are no longer turning up to easter road (and who can blame them)

if she can engage with these supporters get them coming back this will give a bigger budget to the manager to get a better team on the park...

Simple

emerald green
02-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Instil a high performance culture throughout the club, set realistic but stretching targets, surround yourself with "can-do" people, regard mediocrity as failure, be accountable for the on-field performance, set short, med and long-term strategy for the club which matches fans realistic expectations, re-engage fans and make us proud.

Ensure everything the club does supports the above.

Don't stop.

If successful, don't leave.

That takes care for month 1 :wink:

Agree this. :agree: Plus, I would add change a losing mentality into a winning mentality throughout the club. Easier said than done, but I wish you all the luck in the world. GGTTH