PDA

View Full Version : golf 2014

I'm_cabbaged
30-04-2014, 07:51 PM
May I be the first to say this year, I ****ing hate this game!! Until the weekend medal anyways. :)

Godsahibby
30-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Played a few rounds this year, was up in Dornoch again the other week there and got the bug. Im a lapsed member of Kingsknowe been looking to join up again, enquired both there and Baberton, really surprised with the slow response from both of them here was me thinking clubs were crying out for members.

BroxburnHibee
30-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Well I had a cracking winter playing almost every week and it's definitely helped me as I played the best medal I've had in years.

Net 65 beaten into second by a single shot. Cut to 13.7 and hopefully that will continue to tumble through the season

greenlex
01-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Looking forward to my season. Played a couple of medal rounds and hitting it decent without scoring. The odd cricket score in there hurting me but its coming. Bring on the season. :thumbsup: Oh aye and I won my matchplay 1st round tie 6&5. The fella was due me a shot but I didn't need it as the game never got past stroke index 1

Golden Bear
01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Struggling so far this season. My mind is telling me what do but my body is not allowing me to do it. I'm hoping a chiropractor will come with the answers as opposed to obtaining a lesson from a pro.

IWasThere2016
02-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Scoring better than I am playing as the short game/putting has been strong.

But seriously lousy off the tee .. don't know what's gonna happen - can be right/left/high/low - really peeing me off! :grr:

Have entered all our singles - including my first Club Championship - and two balls (thankfully partner is big brother of Bradley Neil and aff +1 .. so he can play and more than make up for my shortcomings!) :greengrin

Hibbyradge
02-05-2014, 11:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&list=PLnU5qUEfww3cOAU8iTQTUpF5S4UqhXJka&v=myOTf1wuZoA

I'm_cabbaged
02-05-2014, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&list=PLnU5qUEfww3cOAU8iTQTUpF5S4UqhXJka&v=myOTf1wuZoA

Thanks for the lesson radge, unfortunately you have to hit greens for it to be of any value. ;)

IWasThere2016
05-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Boom! Net 65 yesterday .. Won by 5 points in the monthly stableford. Big stick sorted after watching USPGA on SKY and taking on board a comment from Faldo (genius!) :thumbsup:

Off to Auchterlonies, St Andrews and a local pro to look at new clubs today :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
05-05-2014, 08:00 PM
92 on Saturday, 77 today starting with 6,7. Cannae figure it out :)

Golden Bear
05-05-2014, 08:31 PM
First buffer of the season last Saturday, 75-4=71.

Still struggling with lower back/pelvic stiffness but no real pain thankfully. Now what other excuse can I come up with?

I'm_cabbaged
05-05-2014, 08:43 PM
First buffer of the season last Saturday, 75-4=71.

Still struggling with lower back/pelvic stiffness but no real pain thankfully. Now what other excuse can I come up with?

That's been my excuse lol. Had a bit of disc trouble, but felt really loose today, a wee bit sore, but nothing to cry about. I'll find out tomorrow I suppose :)

greenlex
05-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Missed buffer by 1 on Sunday with three doubles in there. It's not far away but seems a million miles at times. The whole of last season was the same.So many missed buffers by ones shot!!!!
i had a game today wandering round by myself. When I hit the ruinous bad shot that was usually an approach to the green I would chuck another ball down and promptly Birdie the thing. Not happy to just bogey a hole I've got to have a double or triple.Bloody stupid game. One under from the 12th so just need to keep at it.

Hibs90
07-05-2014, 09:39 PM
In Blackpool for a week in June, can anyone recommend some courses to play? I know about St. Annes but can't justify paying £180 for a round that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much as I should :greengrin

Golden Bear
08-05-2014, 11:36 AM
In Blackpool for a week in June, can anyone recommend some courses to play? I know about St. Annes but can't justify paying £180 for a round that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much as I should :greengrin

You should find something here:-

http://www.teetimes.co.uk/golf-courses-in-lancashire

The Lancashire coast is a mecca for some truly great golf courses but some of the bigger named Clubs can be pricey.

Save up your cash between now and then and if you're wanting a recommendation then I'd particularly suggest Hillside.

Royal Birkdale is the best golf course I've played in the UK but I believe it's now quite difficult to make an advance booking.

greenlex
15-05-2014, 02:36 AM
Buffer today I think.

jodjam
15-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Played the wed flyer at Turnhouse yesterday with my lad and his pal. Kept trying to encourage them if they hit a bad shot as they were convinced they were going up .1 In the end they had nett 67 and 68 whilst I had a mare. Hard work worrying about 3 scores

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Blackpools council course is a very good course and well worth the money. The De Vere's is also quite good, and if you want to travel out a bit then Faihaven is a lovely course too, not far from St Annes. If you go to Preston there's a little course called Ingol that we have played a bit and i enjoyed it, plus Garstang is another pay as you play course and very good for a quite new track.

Hibs90
16-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Blackpools council course is a very good course and well worth the money. The De Vere's is also quite good, and if you want to travel out a bit then Faihaven is a lovely course too, not far from St Annes. If you go to Preston there's a little course called Ingol that we have played a bit and i enjoyed it, plus Garstang is another pay as you play course and very good for a quite new track.

Thanks for the tips.

On another note. OTJ, Nelson, McGirven and Collins were playing in front of me at Kings Acre today. Collins looked worse than me from what I saw!

I'm_cabbaged
17-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the tips.

On another note. OTJ, Nelson, McGirven and Collins were playing in front of me at Kings Acre today. Collins looked worse than me from what I saw!

If you're good at football you're generally good at all ball sports, him being ***** at golf explains a lot. :)

Golden Bear
17-05-2014, 09:07 PM
4th buffer on the trot today. Bogey at 18 resulted in the utterance of a few bad sweerie words.

greenlex
17-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Complete and utter baws today. Just a procession of Bogies.:rolleyes:

Carheenlea
18-05-2014, 07:04 AM
With a 3 week old baby girl, the chances to play have been sparse, with just one medal round played a month ago. Have a summer singles tie this morning though, so looking forward to a game. With not one ball struck in 5 weeks, it remains to be seen how iI will get on, but will be good too get a hit either way!

I'm_cabbaged
18-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Broomieknowe open today, never played there so looking forward to it. Hope the wind dies down!!

Carheenlea
18-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Very pleased with my game today in a summer singles tie. My opponent had 11 shots and was two up after three, but I managed to make inroads and eventually win the match 4&2. One birdie, one bogey and fourteen pars in the sixteen holes played, so very happy with that in the blustery conditions.

Golden Bear
18-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Very pleased with my game today in a summer singles tie. My opponent had 11 shots and was two up after three, but I managed to make inroads and eventually win the match 4&2. One birdie, one bogey and fourteen pars in the sixteen holes played, so very happy with that in the blustery conditions.

Don't you just hate guys with a slow rhythmatic swing not to mention natural ability. Well played Dave. Signed jealous bassa!

greenlex
19-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Buffer yesterday with a couple of doubles.:boo hoo:

BroxburnHibee
19-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Team stableford last weekend won by yours truly with help from a few others. :greengrin

Team score was 53 points (17 under)

One of our team is a 25 handicap and had a net albatross on the long par 4 12th :tee hee:

As you can imagine, he's a really popular guy just now :hilarious

Golden Bear
23-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Point 1 off on Wednesday. Should have been more but I elected to play a wrong ball from the 4th fairway even though I was using a personalised golf ball for the first time!

Eejit - two stroke penalty incurred ( needless to say the numbers 07 formed part of the golf ball personalisation!)

greenlex
24-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Managed buffer on Thursday in The Linlithgowshire seniors with 3 doubles en route. Finished tied 8th without the handicaps. Fairly small field to be fair. Seniors qualifying today at Harburn with 8 qualifiers off bare feet so not confident. Too many doubles and too few birdies just now. Getting auld. EDIT- Missed out by two shots.:grr: Double bogeyed 16. Didn't play well cant hit 4 greens in regulation and expect to score!!!! Buffer but disappointed.

HibbyKeith
24-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Played in a charity team stableford golf event at Elmwood Golf Club (http://www.elmwoodgolf.co.uk/) near Cupar.

Superb day, and for a great cause raising £1400 for The Cookie Jar Foundation. (http://www.thecookiejarfoundation.co.uk/Home.html)

It was my first time playing the course, not very often the way I've been playing recently have I been disappointed for my round to come to an end but definitely was yesterday.

Course is challenging with some really punishing rough, some of the par 4 holes you can get away with an Iron/hybrid from the tee making the hole "look" easy, the greens however can be 3 putt territory anywhere outside of 20ft.

Worth a visit and their deals for golfing society's seem pretty decent too.

IWasThere2016
26-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Played in a charity team stableford golf event at Elmwood Golf Club (http://www.elmwoodgolf.co.uk/) near Cupar.

Superb day, and for a great cause raising £1400 for The Cookie Jar Foundation. (http://www.thecookiejarfoundation.co.uk/Home.html)

It was my first time playing the course, not very often the way I've been playing recently have I been disappointed for my round to come to an end but definitely was yesterday.

Course is challenging with some really punishing rough, some of the par 4 holes you can get away with an Iron/hybrid from the tee making the hole "look" easy, the greens however can be 3 putt territory anywhere outside of 20ft.

Worth a visit and their deals for golfing society's seem pretty decent too.

Elmwood - as it is part of a College - changes its course every year. Go back next year and it will be totally different.

IWasThere2016
26-05-2014, 10:35 PM
4th best score in the Club Champs tonight :thumbsup: and I left 5 shots out there too! It's coming :cb

Greens fabulous now.

Godsahibby
31-05-2014, 08:20 PM
What a day for it today, played Whitekirk, I dont think I have ever seen rough like it. Considering the amount of blind shots you have it's not a good set up. It's a shame because its a pretty decent track.

HibbyKeith
31-05-2014, 08:32 PM
What a day for it today, played Whitekirk, I dont think I have ever seen rough like it. Considering the amount of blind shots you have it's not a good set up. It's a shame because its a pretty decent track.

My brother-in-law is a member there, he was saying the very same thing last night. I'm sure there has been a few complaints from some of the members about the rough.

IWasThere2016
31-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Glorious day .. legs and forehead on fire!

Golden Bear
31-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Fantastic day today. Our 1st champ qualifier, 170 plus competitors - who says golf is dying ?!! . Yet another buffer for me but still in the hunt to qualify. Next week is crucial so nae ER protest for me!!

Golden Bear
31-05-2014, 10:52 PM
My brother-in-law is a member there, he was saying the very same thing last night. I'm sure there has been a few complaints from some of the members about the rough.

It's a tough course which requires a lot of local knowledge. The upturned greens are difficult, as are the numerous blind shots in the opening holes. I still enjoy playing it though.

BroxburnHibee
01-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Glorious day for the plus 10 championship at Turnhouse yesterday. Stupidly didn't wear the suntan lotion though so bit red now.

Managed to qualify for the handicap comp as well despite an 8 on the 6th. Been a good start to the season for me long may it continue.

Hibbyradge
01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Dave, is this nearly as long as mine at the Road Hole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=htmbMSRj1SQ

BroxburnHibee
01-06-2014, 03:23 PM
No quite :greengrin

greenlex
02-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Podium finish at Uphall Open yesterday. (I think. they have only posted scratch scores. Tied 12th despite 2 doubles). You gotta love the game:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Podium finish at Uphall Open yesterday. (I think. they have only posted scratch scores. Tied 12th despite 2 doubles). You gotta love the game:thumbsup:

Do you actually like that course Alex? I found it to be really dull.

greenlex
02-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Do you actually like that course Alex? I found it to be really dull. No I have never particularly liked it but it was the only open I could find on Sunday. :greengrin A competitive game for £12 basically. Harburn Open this Saturday.£15. Get a 2 at 15 and get your entry fee back. Unusual I think. Its in terrific nick too. :thumbsup:

HibbyKeith
02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Cut .9 and down to 13.7 after a net 67 on Sunday. Played pretty well, and left a couple of shots out there, even had a dreaded shank on the back of my best drive of the day.

Starting to reap the benefit of my new custom fit clubs. :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2014, 08:44 PM
No I have never particularly liked it but it was the only open I could find on Sunday. :greengrin A competitive game for £12 basically. Harburn Open this Saturday.£15. Get a 2 at 15 and get your entry fee back. Unusual I think. Its in terrific nick too. :thumbsup:

Harburn is good - always enjoyed it.

Anyway won my tie tonight - quarters on Wednesday - unfortunately forecast is terrible.

greenlex
02-06-2014, 09:19 PM

Anyway won my tie tonight - quarters on Wednesday - unfortunately forecast is terrible.

Booooooommmm!

I'm_cabbaged
06-06-2014, 05:22 AM

Any Joy?

H18sry
06-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Any Joy?

Not sure on BH golf but the weather was terrible :wink:

derekHFC
06-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Anyone played Haddington?

What's it like?

Good/bad/tough/easy?

H18sry
06-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Anyone played Haddington?

What's it like?

Good/bad/tough/easy?

played it a few years ago and it's a decent track and was in really good nick

Hibs90
07-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Blackpool was a good trip. Played Staining Lodge, Herons Reach x2 and Blackpool Park.

Staining Lodge is a good course, a few par 5's so birdie opportunities aplenty. Played my best golf of the week on this course. Everything felt just right for the most part. 7/10

Herons Reach is just a beautiful course, looks immense in the sun. For your below average golfer like myself it can be cruelly punishing though. Miss left or right and you are in severe danger most holes. And for someone who has developed a major slice problem that's not good. 8/10

Blackpool Park for a council run course is actually pretty decent setup however greens were a bit 'meh'. 6/10

Very sunburnt though, currently looking like this guy: :fuming:

BroxburnHibee
07-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Aye I got soaked :greengrin

Unfortunately lost on the last hole.

Quite happy how my game has improved though - hopefully get the handicap down a bit over the next few months

Turnhouse Open in a few weeks time - well worth the entry fee and still some spaces left I believe.

Golden Bear
07-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Heading out shortly for the second round of our Championship Qualifier and hoping to get round dry before the monsoon season starts.

I'm playing at Dunbar tomorrow and looking forward to that one. It's always a course I like, not too long and not too difficult but has it's challenges all the same.

:thumbsup:

greenlex
09-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Aye I got soaked :greengrin

Unfortunately lost on the last hole.

Quite happy how my game has improved though - hopefully get the handicap down a bit over the next few months

Turnhouse Open in a few weeks time - well worth the entry fee and still some spaces left I believe.
I'm in. Just waiting on my time. :-) The last two Sundays I've been out and about at Opens. £60 voucher for third last week. Hitting it decent but always a couple of holes bugger it up. A 7 and an 8 both at par 4s cost me yesterday at Greenburn and a 7 and a 6 on Sat at Harburn. The Stableford adjustment got me a .4 cut Yesterday. (25 putts helped) That's nearly a shot and a half chopped off in the space of a week. Pleasing. Championship qualifying this weekend coming.been looking at Seniors Opens this week but all the 50+ ones are full. :-(. I'm on holiday this week so if anyone fancies a hack round Harburn give me a shout.

greenlex
09-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Heading out shortly for the second round of our Championship Qualifier and hoping to get round dry before the monsoon season starts.

I'm playing at Dunbar tomorrow and looking forward to that one. It's always a course I like, not too long and not too difficult but has it's challenges all the same.

:thumbsup: Usually the wind.

Golden Bear
15-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Usually the wind.

I played there yesterday in the Gents Open and bunkers were the problem ----- a big, big problem. The*uggers seemed to come out and bite me on every hole.

Perfect weather conditions and I still managed to comfortably accumulate another point 1.

:grr:

greenlex
15-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I played there yesterday in the Gents Open and bunkers were the problem ----- a big, big problem. The*uggers seemed to come out and bite me on every hole.

Perfect weather conditions and I still managed to comfortably accumulate another point 1.

:grr:
Bloody golf!!!!:greengrin

greenlex
15-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Well Ive sneaked into our duffers Championship finals day in last spot (83 followed by a 81)after a Saturday where my ball striking was poor and today my putting was shocking. Im 11 behind with two rounds to go next Sunday so its a tall order. Think Ill target second as Im only 6 off that. :greengrin EDIT - not in. ****ing shambles. Club council have taken it upon themselves to make the B & C classes over 3 rounds with only 8 Qualifiers!!!!! They haven't told anyone until posting the qualifiers. A class get 15 and ties and another 2 rounds. How does that work???? ****ing Shambles!!!! Email sent!!!

IWasThere2016
17-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Well Ive sneaked into our duffers Championship finals day in last spot (83 followed by a 81)after a Saturday where my ball striking was poor and today my putting was shocking. Im 11 behind with two rounds to go next Sunday so its a tall order. Think Ill target second as Im only 6 off that. :greengrin EDIT - not in. ****ing shambles. Club council have taken it upon themselves to make the B & C classes over 3 rounds with only 8 Qualifiers!!!!! They haven't told anyone until posting the qualifiers. A class get 15 and ties and another 2 rounds. How does that work???? ****ing Shambles!!!! Email sent!!!

I was 4= after round 1 of our Club Champs. But missed the other qualifying rounds (my own fault).

As every good Hibby knows, there's always next year! :wink:

Golden Bear
17-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I was 4= after round 1 of our Club Champs. But missed the other qualifying rounds (my own fault).

As every good Hibby knows, there's always next year! :wink:

I missed out as well this year. I failed by one stroke to make it to the matchplay stage after rounds of 75 & 78.

Ah well - roll on the start of the fitba' season. Well maybe not eh.

:greengrin

IWasThere2016
18-06-2014, 09:00 AM
5 and 1/4 hour match last night as we won on 6th extra hole!! :faint:

Shot best ever on the Medal course - 73 - with 4 birdies out and 5 in total for 18. Another two birdies in the extra holes :cb

Drained at least 6 x 25-footers + too! Opponent, a fellow Hibby in his 50s, has played for decades at Monifieth (member of two clubs and plays all the time eg 11 rounds in the last 9 days (how is that possible?!?)) said it was without doubt the best ever putting display he'd ever seen .. bit chuffed with masel! :greengrin Have to say the greens are amazing - so true..

Now if I could just get a driver, I'd be sorted! :cb

Golden Bear
18-06-2014, 04:09 PM
5 and 1/4 hour match last night as we won on 6th extra hole!! :faint:

Shot best ever on the Medal course - 73 - with 4 birdies out and 5 in total for 18. Another two birdies in the extra holes :cb

Drained at least 6 x 25-footers + too! Opponent, a fellow Hibby in his 50s, has played for decades at Monifieth (member of two clubs and plays all the time eg 11 rounds in the last 9 days (how is that possible?!?)) said it was without doubt the best ever putting display he'd ever seen .. bit chuffed with masel! :greengrin Have to say the greens are amazing - so true..

Now if I could just get a driver, I'd be sorted! :cb

Dare I say it ------------------------------ bandit?! :bandit:

Last season, Jim44 and I had a classic tie in the four ball better ball knock out tournament. We eventually triumphed at the 10th extra hole - a real marathon and by far the longest tie I've ever been involved in.

IWasThere2016
22-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Dare I say it ------------------------------ bandit?! :bandit:.

Better ball for the four of us was -11 for 18 holes. No worse than par won each hole. This is my partner's wee brother -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/27964596

Last season, Jim44 and I had a classic tie in the four ball better ball knock out tournament. We eventually triumphed at the 10th extra hole - a real marathon and by far the longest tie I've ever been involved in.

That's incredible!

Golden Bear
23-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Better ball for the four of us was -11 for 18 holes. No worse than par won each hole. This is my partner's wee brother -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/27964596

That's incredible!

That was a fantastic win by Bradley Neil. I suspect you'll already be planning a visit to next year's Masters at Augusta.

IWasThere2016
25-06-2014, 09:21 AM
That was a fantastic win by Bradley Neil. I suspect you'll already be planning a visit to next year's Masters at Augusta.

Despite the fact I play with his big brother, Connor, I haven't met Bradley properly. I walked round the Scottish Boys' Final at Monifieth last April and Bradley's ball striking is breathtaking. I have never seen anything like it. Barely any noise and a wee divot about the size of a Post-It .. every time. Since Sunday, he has had IMG courting him big time to sign pro .. I think he will wait a year and take advantage of the OPen/US/Masters' invites.

My wife's cousin can arrange tickets to the Masters for me but I've no plans to go (for now :wink:). I was thinking about Hoylake - to see Bradley et al - but I've loads on and cannot see a lot of time off work this year..

BroxburnHibee
29-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Turnhouse Open next weekend - still a few spaces left if anyone fancies it.

£20 for 2 rounds Sat & Sun and the possibility of reaching the matchplay stages is a cracking deal and the course has never looked better IMO.

My game is still looking positive as well despite carding a 9!!!! in my last 2 rounds. Yesterday I had six 3's on my card which is unreal for me :greengrin

Really looking forward to it.

greenlex
30-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Turnhouse Open next weekend - still a few spaces left if anyone fancies it.

£20 for 2 rounds Sat & Sun and the possibility of reaching the matchplay stages is a cracking deal and the course has never looked better IMO.

My game is still looking positive as well despite carding a 9!!!! in my last 2 rounds. Yesterday I had six 3's on my card which is unreal for me :greengrin

Really looking forward to it. I think I'm out right behind you. Dinnae be holding me up now.:greengrin (specially the Sunday as I need to nash away sharp):thumbsup:If you stay in the middle of the fairway you'll be safe enough.:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
30-06-2014, 05:15 PM
I am indeed :greengrin see you Saturday :aok:

greenlex
30-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I am indeed :greengrin see you Saturday :aok:

Good good.

Godsahibby
02-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Anyone else on here a member of Baberton? I've not long joined and always looking for folk to play with.

Golden Bear
08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
I played in a Seniors Open at the Roxburghe yesterday.

Fantastic course, lightening fast greens and going by the hole positions, I can only assume that the Head Greenkeeper was a total sadist. The CSS shot up to 75 (reduction only) which on a perfect day weather wise, speaks for itself.

5 friggin hours to complete the round was another downside but I'm already looking forward to next years competition.

greenlex
08-07-2014, 01:24 PM
I played in a Seniors Open at the Roxburghe yesterday.

Fantastic course, lightening fast greens and going by the hole positions, I can only assume that the Head Greenkeeper was a total sadist. The CSS shot up to 75 (reduction only) which on a perfect day weather wise, speaks for itself.

5 friggin hours to complete the round was another downside but I'm already looking forward to next years competition.
I'm playing there on Friday in the duffers Open. I hope they are a bit kinder to us. Great track and looking froward to it.

Golden Bear
08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm playing there on Friday in the duffers Open. I hope they are a bit kinder to us. Great track and looking froward to it.

If the holes are in the same locations then I'd recommend a liberal intake of alcohol before you play in order to settle the nerves.

I ended up a quivering gibbering wreck after yesterday's round however I've since been informed that my score of 81-4=77 was good enough to win a prize in my age category! (I'm only a junior senior)

greenlex
08-07-2014, 05:59 PM
If the holes are in the same locations then I'd recommend a liberal intake of alcohol before you play in order to settle the nerves.

I ended up a quivering gibbering wreck after yesterday's round however I've since been informed that my score of 81-4=77 was good enough to win a prize in my age category! (I'm only a junior senior)

Ha Ha. Another couple if years and Ill be joining you on the Monday. :greengrin

12AlbionPlace
09-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Played Westerwood today courtesy of my Bunkered voucher. I wasn't expecting much as it get mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, a couple of strange holes, particularly the 12th but overall a great day helped by having some fantastic weather. Special mention go to the greens which were superb, if I had a criticism then the tees could be in better condition, but hey you get to use a tee on there. Anyone else played it recently and thought the same or am I suffering from sun stroke.

greenlex
10-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Played Westerwood today courtesy of my Bunkered voucher. I wasn't expecting much as it get mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, a couple of strange holes, particularly the 12th but overall a great day helped by having some fantastic weather. Special mention go to the greens which were superb, if I had a criticism then the tees could be in better condition, but hey you get to use a tee on there. Anyone else played it recently and thought the same or am I suffering from sun stroke.. Should be good just now. Gets really wet most of the year.

greenlex
11-07-2014, 07:03 PM
You weren't kidding about the rapidity of the greens at The Roxburghe Golden Bear!!!!! 7 three putts. (to be fair I wasn't hitting it particularly close.) Lightning. Hay up to my knees a few times too. All added up to big numbers. Reckon by the time I got to about 14 I needed to par in for buffer. par at 14 bogey 15 & 16 and a lost ball that had no business being lost at 17 and it was NR for me. Great track all the same.:agree:

Golden Bear
12-07-2014, 04:03 PM
You weren't kidding about the rapidity of the greens at The Roxburghe Golden Bear!!!!! 7 three putts. (to be fair I wasn't hitting it particularly close.) Lightning. Hay up to my knees a few times too. All added up to big numbers. Reckon by the time I got to about 14 I needed to par in for buffer. par at 14 bogey 15 & 16 and a lost ball that had no business being lost at 17 and it was NR for me. Great track all the same.:agree:

It's a great place to play, no doubt about that. I'm off to Uphall for a Texas Scramble on Monday, then I've a courtesy 4 ball at Lanark on Tuesday. Life sure is a bitch at present!

greenlex
12-07-2014, 07:25 PM
It's a great place to play, no doubt about that. I'm off to Uphall for a Texas Scramble on Monday, then I've a courtesy 4 ball at Lanark on Tuesday. Life sure is a bitch at present!

Bounce game at Bothwell Castle tomorrow and funnily enough Lanark Open on Wednesday. Loving the gowfin.

greenlex
13-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Bothwell Castle is in good condition. You can see it would get a bit soggy in the Winter but a fair bit of newish drainage work that hadn't quite recovered dotted around the course. Fairly new Clubhouse that is fantastic,. The Spikes bar looks 5 star and a balcony outside looking over the course is a great place to enjoy the 19th. Recommended,:top marks

Golden Bear
14-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Played in a Seniors Texas Scramble today at Uphall. When we left a net 53 was leading. That's mind bogglin stuff to say the least!

:bandit:

BroxburnHibee
14-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Played in a Seniors Texas Scramble today at Uphall. When we left a net 53 was leading. That's mind bogglin stuff to say the least!

Last scramble we played in we scored 53 as well and won by 1 point :greengrin

Iceman1875
15-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Aye your a bandit, 3 handicapper my arse! 😉

At Easter Road we play...

Golden Bear
15-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Bounce game at Bothwell Castle tomorrow and funnily enough Lanark Open on Wednesday. Loving the gowfin.

Played there today - thoroughly enjoyed the course and the hospitality. The greens are quick but not lightening. Keep the ball below the hole would be good advice.

ACLeith
16-07-2014, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=** T * Q * M **;4075912 I was thinking about Hoylake - to see Bradley et al - but I've loads on and cannot see a lot of time off work this year..[/QUOTE]
I followed him on the practice day today for most of his round. Playing with Stephen Gallacher and Paul Lawrie and hit some awesome shots. Different pressure tomorrow, but if he can keep it straight then he could be well on the way to making the cut - hope so.

IWasThere2016
17-07-2014, 12:31 PM
I followed him on the practice day today for most of his round. Playing with Stephen Gallacher and Paul Lawrie and hit some awesome shots. Different pressure tomorrow, but if he can keep it straight then he could be well on the way to making the cut - hope so.

Bradley was +7 for his first round :boo hoo:

greenlex
17-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Played there today - thoroughly enjoyed the course and the hospitality. The greens are quick but not lightening. Keep the ball below the hole would be good advice. Lasted 4 holes and a tee shot at 5. an Hour and a half for 4 bloody holes. Not what I call enjoyment. Two groups on every tee. at least one group on every fairway waiting. Scunnered. Heading for over 6 hours on a golf course of any kind is ridiculous. It was an easy choice to make after 4 putts on the first a three putt on the third, a miserable birdie attempt on the 4th all followed by a tee shot straight left into the trees at 5. If I'm playing their hackers open again Ill be off early doors.

Golden Bear
17-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Lasted 4 holes and a tee shot at 5. an Hour and a half for 4 bloody holes. Not what I call enjoyment. Two groups on every tee. at least one group on every fairway waiting. Scunnered. Heading for over 6 hours on a golf course of any kind is ridiculous. It was an easy choice to make after 4 putts on the first a three putt on the third, a miserable birdie attempt on the 4th all followed by a tee shot straight left into the trees at 5. If I'm playing their hackers open again Ill be off early doors.

Not good.

Slow play does my head in and I can't blame you for calling it a day when you did.

Four of us with a variety of handicaps got round Lanark in three and a half hours on Tuesday. We did our fair share of tramping about the heather looking for lost balls so we didn't do too badly at that.

Slow play spoils the enjoyment for everyone and if you get the opportunity to play the course again then I'd jump at it because it's a very good test of golf.

ACLeith
17-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Bradley was +7 for his first round :boo hoo:

I followed him from the 3rd he struggled to find a fairway early on off the tee. Didn't help that he misjudged a putt and finished in a bunker, or he horseshoed out once and was in the jaws of the hole twice.

But he recovered towards the end of the round so that might encourage him tomorrow.

Re slow play, the rounds today were taking about 4 1/2 hours, which was OK

And I should have added ....
Playing with mannasero who had a fantastic round, he stuck at it and didn't let his head go down, his last few holes showed a lot of character to do that.

And after said M had holed on the last for his 7th birdie he applauded him, that showed a lot of class in the circumstances.

IWasThere2016
18-07-2014, 03:07 PM
I followed him from the 3rd he struggled to find a fairway early on off the tee. Didn't help that he misjudged a putt and finished in a bunker, or he horseshoed out once and was in the jaws of the hole twice.

But he recovered towards the end of the round so that might encourage him tomorrow.

Re slow play, the rounds today were taking about 4 1/2 hours, which was OK

And I should have added ....
Playing with mannasero who had a fantastic round, he stuck at it and didn't let his head go down, his last few holes showed a lot of character to do that.

And after said M had holed on the last for his 7th birdie he applauded him, that showed a lot of class in the circumstances.

Cheers for that..

ACLeith
18-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Cheers for that..

Didn't get as much chance today as I had already been on the course for a few hours before he teed off and I knew my old bones wouldn't stand up to a second time round!

Saw his first 4 holes - again he wasn't hitting fairways or greens in reg but he got it up and down well. But I saw he had 3 birdies in the back 9, including 17 and 18.

Although he missed the cut by a margin I thought he handled the occasion well and was a credit to everyone who has helped bring him to this stage in his career.

JimBHibees
19-07-2014, 09:26 AM
I thought the third round players went into pairs not 3s. Is that something new?

I see it was because of weather forecast of thunderstorms.

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/325311.html

ACLeith
19-07-2014, 11:44 AM
I thought the third round players went into pairs not 3s. Is that something new?

I see it was because of weather forecast of thunderstorms.

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/325311.html

And two tee start to try to finish before thunderstorms arrive. Not much wind, rain intermittent so some excellent scoring.

Golden Bear
19-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Ach what a bunch of wimps. Our golfers are getting as bad as cricketers - the slightest sign of rain and major panic sets in. Three thirty pm on the Saturday of the Open and everything is finished - it's just not British I tell ye!

And as for that cad Mcilroy, his excellent golf over the last few holes has more or less signed sealed and delivered the Tournament and will make tomorrow's TV coverage an anti climax.

But wait --------------------- this is golf so anything can still happen (but highly unlikely)

greenlex
19-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Looks like the R&A got it spot on. The weather right now at Hoylake is horrendous!!!!:greengrin

pogo
19-07-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm working on the golf, and I can confirm the R&A got it spot on! 20 minutes after the last finish, the sky opened, and the TV compound is awash! Forecast for tomorrow is better, so hopefully dry out a bit over the course of the day.

Golden Bear
19-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm working on the golf, and I can confirm the R&A got it spot on! 20 minutes after the last finish, the sky opened, and the TV compound is awash! Forecast for tomorrow is better, so hopefully dry out a bit over the course of the day.

I would hope that the threat of thunder and lightening was the real reason why today's play was rescheduled.

Heavy rain in itself should not be a factor until such time the course becomes unplayable because of flooding.

BroxburnHibee
19-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Rory's to lose

ACLeith
19-07-2014, 05:02 PM

Getting my lift home the wipers could barely clear the windscreen. Yet a few miles from the course it was bone-dry - don't you just love british summertime!

Forecast was for T&L though nothing yet. Going out for a meal tonight so will probably rumble by then!

pogo
19-07-2014, 05:04 PM
I would hope that the threat of thunder and lightening was the real reason why today's play was rescheduled.

Heavy rain in itself should not be a factor until such time the course becomes unplayable because of flooding.

Correct, there were thunderstorms forecast, but despite some overnight, we have avoided any during play today. If it had occurred, then all the hoists, etc., are dropped, and all coverage would have to stop.
Not to mention the health and safety of everyone on the course.

IWasThere2016
19-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Didn't get as much chance today as I had already been on the course for a few hours before he teed off and I knew my old bones wouldn't stand up to a second time round!

Saw his first 4 holes - again he wasn't hitting fairways or greens in reg but he got it up and down well. But I saw he had 3 birdies in the back 9, including 17 and 18.

Although he missed the cut by a margin I thought he handled the occasion well and was a credit to everyone who has helped bring him to this stage in his career.

:thumbsup: He can only learn..

Carheenlea
19-07-2014, 06:39 PM

It was a combination of the two I reckon. The two-tee start gave them about 5 hours to play with in the event of delays for both lightning and heavy rain. As is usually the case the warnings that the R&A heeded failed to materialise, so they look like they made an unnecessary decision. They can't win! Back to the traditional two ball pairings tomorrow with the final pair out at 2.40pm. Big screen beckons at Peebles Golf Club and a dent in the bar tab :cheers:

Golden Bear
19-07-2014, 07:59 PM
It was a combination of the two I reckon. The two-tee start gave them about 5 hours to play with in the event of delays for both lightning and heavy rain. As is usually the case the warnings that the R&A heeded failed to materialise, so they look like they made an unnecessary decision. They can't win! Back to the traditional two ball pairings tomorrow with the final pair out at 2.40pm. Big screen beckons at Peebles Golf Club and a dent in the bar tab :cheers:

Free drink on the Captain's bar tab tomorrow Dave. Allegedly!

Hibs90
21-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Im off to play Cragielaw today for my first proper links experience thanks to Rickie Fowler who I had on a EW bet :aok:

Not bothered about scoring just going to enjoy myself and hopefully it doesn't rain :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
23-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Gowfers - a wee query for you:

At Monifieth we have two courses - Medal (Par 71/CSS 71 (yellow) 72 (white)) and the Ashludie (par 68/CSS 65)

I am one of 16 guys - we play every Sunday in 4-balls on the Ashludie. Most club members play the Medal.

As few of the 16 play both courses - and fewer submit cards to both regularly - we operate a unique handicap system. These handicaps are not tied to our official handicaps.

I am lowest off 4, and treat this a class 1. The other range from 7 to 16 (therefore class 2 and 3). As playing numbers vary each week, and it is a small field, I run the handicaps with no CSS and just a buffer against par (so my buffer is 69 (68 + 1) rising to the highest off 16 being 71 (68 + 3). The idea of no CSS is because some weeks someone will have a great score and be slashed if others' scores are factored in. Thus the players are playing the course - and less so the rest of the field. Cuts are 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 (per stroke per class) and all increases are 0.1

My question to you is this unfair? In the absence of the 16 submitting cards for their official h/c - is my system 'logical'? Any thoughts/advice?

TQM

greenlex
24-07-2014, 07:29 AM

At Monifieth we have two courses - Medal (Par 71/CSS 71 (yellow) 72 (white)) and the Ashludie (par 68/CSS 65)

I am one of 16 guys - we play every Sunday in 4-balls on the Ashludie. Most club members play the Medal.

As few of the 16 play both courses - and fewer submit cards to both regularly - we operate a unique handicap system. These handicaps are not tied to our official handicaps.

I am lowest off 4, and treat this a class 1. The other range from 7 to 16 (therefore class 2 and 3). As playing numbers vary each week, and it is a small field, I run the handicaps with no CSS and just a buffer against par (so my buffer is 69 (68 + 1) rising to the highest off 16 being 71 (68 + 3). The idea of no CSS is because some weeks someone will have a great score and be slashed if others' scores are factored in. Thus the players are playing the course - and less so the rest of the field. Cuts are 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 (per stroke per class) and all increases are 0.1

My question to you is this unfair? In the absence of the 16 submitting cards for their official h/c - is my system 'logical'? Any thoughts/advice?

TQM seems fair enough to me TQM. As you say with a small field the CSS could be affected greatly by one really good score. I don't really think there should be a CSS in any case. I don't think there should even be SSS that is any different to par either.

Golden Bear
25-07-2014, 08:10 AM

TQM

You are in essence playing a competitive bounce game so if the system is universally acceptable by your group then so be it.

However in these days of the Supplementary Score system, there's nothing to prevent your group from playing off their "official handicaps." The SSS will remain static, cards will be submitted for official handicap purposes (thus avoiding the possibility that handicaps will become inactive at season end) and of course you can still have a winner within your own wee clique. :wink:

IWasThere2016
25-07-2014, 09:08 AM
You are in essence playing a competitive bounce game so if the system is universally acceptable by your group then so be it.

However in these days of the Supplementary Score system, there's nothing to prevent your group from playing off their "official handicaps." The SSS will remain static, cards will be submitted for official handicap purposes (thus avoiding the possibility that handicaps will become inactive at season end) and of course you can still have a winner within your own wee clique. :wink:

Therein lies the rub.. too few submit cards on the wee course because it's one handicap for both courses. Lexo's advice was better than yours and I make him the 5&4 winner.

Golden Bear
25-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Therein lies the rub.. too few submit cards on the wee course because it's one handicap for both courses. Lexo's advice was better than yours and I make him the 5&4 winner.

Ah well, I'll need to get a bit heavy!

"Par" is based on course length while SSS is based both on playing length and degree of difficulty.

"Par" is not such an effective means of measuring performance as one based on SSS/CSS

Your system does not take into account weather conditions on the day of the competition and the effect it will have on the scoring.

Your system does not take make any allowance for mega bad holes unlike the Stableford/Net Double Bogey adjustments which are carried out under the recognised scheme.

To summarise:-

"CONGU does not consider Par provides a suitable basis for a reliable and robust handicap system. Par is a very crude measure of the playing difficulty of a golf course. Two courses having the same Par may vary in length by many hundred yards"

In short ------------- nah, stick with the recognised scheme but if you're all happy with a flawed system then so be it.

:na na:

IWasThere2016
25-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Our system does recognise, and reduce scores to no worse than a double bogey.

Godsahibby
29-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Need a bit of help in re-shafting a club.

My driver is a Taylor Made R7 love the club, tried the newer versions but not liked them as much. I have been wanting to upgrade the shaft for some time being the total golf club ****** I see this as the cure to all my wayward drives!!

On eBay I managed to get an Aldila NV for an absolute steal. And I am wanting to replace my existing standard shaft with that. The pro at my local club is known for being *** useless and when I spoke to him about it said he would have to send it away to Taylor Made and it would cost about £90.

Does anyone know someone that could do this or recommend a place I could take it to who won't charge a fortune?

PerthHibby
29-07-2014, 10:33 PM

My driver is a Taylor Made R7 love the club, tried the newer versions but not liked them as much. I have been wanting to upgrade the shaft for some time being the total golf club ****** I see this as the cure to all my wayward drives!!

On eBay I managed to get an Aldila NV for an absolute steal. And I am wanting to replace my existing standard shaft with that. The pro at my local club is known for being *** useless and when I spoke to him about it said he would have to send it away to Taylor Made and it would cost about £90.

Does anyone know someone that could do this or recommend a place I could take it to who won't charge a fortune?

I get most of my stuff done by Scott Gourley at craigmillar park. Service, advice and price 1st class.

greenlex
30-07-2014, 06:44 AM

Be careful. Some R7 models are non conforming and illegal.

greenlex
30-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Ah well, I'll need to get a bit heavy!

"Par" is based on course length while SSS is based both on playing length and degree of difficulty.

"Par" is not such an effective means of measuring performance as one based on SSS/CSS

Your system does not take into account weather conditions on the day of the competition and the effect it will have on the scoring.

Your system does not take make any allowance for mega bad holes unlike the Stableford/Net Double Bogey adjustments which are carried out under the recognised scheme.

To summarise:-

"CONGU does not consider Par provides a suitable basis for a reliable and robust handicap system. Par is a very crude measure of the playing difficulty of a golf course. Two courses having the same Par may vary in length by many hundred yards"

In short ------------- nah, stick with the recognised scheme but if you're all happy with a flawed system then so be it.

:na na:
Can you explain why home players and away players have different CSS when they are playing the same course in the same conditions? Never understood that.

Golden Bear
30-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Can you explain why home players and away players have different CSS when they are playing the same course in the same conditions? Never understood that.

I think it is based on statistical information which was compiled by the Handicapping Authorities over a number of years. They found that when separate CSS calculations were retrospectively carried out for "Home Players" as a group, and Visitors, the CSS for the visiting players was frequently higher than that calculated for the "Home" Players and higher than the original CSS calculated for the overall field.

By carrying out separate CSS calculations and applying the resultant CSS to the Home player and visitor returns for handicap purposes, the inbalance was substantially reduced with more visiting players returning net scores to their Buffer zone or better.

Plus of course a separate CSS for visiting players should in theory encourage more guys to enter Open Tournaments.

For my sins, I'm Handicap Convenor at my own Club and all I can say is thank goodness for the computer which allows for all these fanciful calculations to built in to the software!

greenlex
30-07-2014, 02:33 PM
I think it is based on statistical information which was compiled by the Handicapping Authorities over a number of years. They found that when separate CSS calculations were retrospectively carried out for "Home Players" as a group, and Visitors, the CSS for the visiting players was frequently higher than that calculated for the "Home" Players and higher than the original CSS calculated for the overall field.

By carrying out separate CSS calculations and applying the resultant CSS to the Home player and visitor returns for handicap purposes, the inbalance was substantially reduced with more visiting players returning net scores to their Buffer zone or better.

Plus of course a separate CSS for visiting players should in theory encourage more guys to enter Open Tournaments.

For my sins, I'm Handicap Convenor at my own Club and all I can say is thank goodness for the computer which allows for all these fanciful calculations to built in to the software!
Ta. I always thought whilst probably right as it slewed the CSS in favour of the Home player it allows the away player ( particularly the cat 1 guys) to either get easy cuts in their handicaps or making buffer keeping them lower than they actually are.

Golden Bear
30-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Ta. I always thought whilst probably right as it slewed the CSS in favour of the Home player it allows the away player ( particularly the cat 1 guys) to either get easy cuts in their handicaps or making buffer keeping them lower than they actually are.

From my own experiences of playing in Open Tournaments this year, the Home & Visitors CSS have generally been the same and on occasions when it did differ it was only be 1 stroke.

In theory, home advantage at golf will be a factor as it is in other sports so perhaps the introduction of the Visitors' CSS was one way of trying to negate it.

Godsahibby
30-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Be careful. Some R7 models are non conforming and illegal.

Checked and it's alright, thanks for the heads up. Mind you a but late, been using it for 3 years!!!

Godsahibby
30-07-2014, 05:58 PM
I get most of my stuff done by Scott Gourley at craigmillar park. Service, advice and price 1st class.

Just spoke to one of the guys up there and they can do it no bother. Thanks for letting me know about him.

Godsahibby
01-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Sergio Garcia, that's some back 9. Love to see him play well.

ACLeith
02-08-2014, 11:24 AM
I am going to need a new pair of shoes soon. I have always had spikes - current ones FootJoys - but I wondered about the new spikeless kind. Are they better than the the traditional ones? What about in our typical Scottish weather? Any advice much appreciated.

Golden Bear
02-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I am going to need a new pair of shoes soon. I have always had spikes - current ones FootJoys - but I wondered about the new spikeless kind. Are they better than the the traditional ones? What about in our typical Scottish weather? Any advice much appreciated.

I'd recommend that you look at the Ecco range. They come in a variety of styles, are a bit more expensive but for sheer comfort they can't be beaten.

ACLeith
02-08-2014, 02:17 PM
I'd recommend that you look at the Ecco range. They come in a variety of styles, are a bit more expensive but for sheer comfort they can't be beaten.

Thanks for that. Are spikeless shoes in general OK for grip in bad weather?

Golden Bear
02-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that. Are spikeless shoes in general OK for grip in bad weather?

It's a matter of personal preference. I've tried the "streetshoe" style and found they're ok in dry conditions but not so good when it's wet underfoot.

I've found this company excellent to deal with and you'll be able to chat to someone online for some expert advice.

http://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/section/2013/1/ecco

ACLeith
03-08-2014, 06:45 AM
It's a matter of personal preference. I've tried the "streetshoe" style and found they're ok in dry conditions but not so good when it's wet underfoot.

I've found this company excellent to deal with and you'll be able to chat to someone online for some expert advice.

http://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/section/2013/1/ecco

Thanks GB, I appreciate your comments

BroxburnHibee
03-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Tiger oot again!!!!!

Golden Bear
03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Tiger oot again!!!!!

Aye I'm wondering whether the bogeys resulted from the back injury or the back injury resulted from the bogeys.

I'm a nasty man.

BroxburnHibee
03-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Aye I'm wondering whether the bogeys resulted from the back injury or the back injury resulted from the bogeys.

I'm a nasty man.

Definitely the latter :agree:

BroxburnHibee
03-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Rory's on a charge again

Golden Bear
03-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Rory's on a charge again

Building up to a good finish. It sure beats the self congratulatory, back slapping coverage of the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.

greenlex
04-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Building up to a good finish. It sure beats the self congratulatory, back slapping coverage of the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.

Absolutely GB. I sometimes can't get excited with golf on TV outside the majors but thoroughly enjoyed that last night.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2014, 10:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUj_qqVxVrE

Golden Bear
16-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Don't you just love it!

All that utter *rap from a few hours ago has suddenlt disappered and I'm a candidate for Ryder Cup selection once again.

:drunk:

BroxburnHibee
16-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Net 64 in a howling gale today. Still waiting to see how I've got on. Definite cut though :greengrin

Hibs90
10-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Was +3 today off scratch for my best round ever, everything went right including 2 chip ins from bunkers. Want to join a club now to see what my handicap would be as my scores have generally improved this year but they have ranged from 74-85-97 or even more at times

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2014, 03:15 PM
I joined Herons reach Deveres Blackpool 3 weeks ago after 7 years of not being able to play due to illness. I was a 14 handicap then, but obviously nowhere near that now.

I put 3 cards in and have been playing 3 times a week. My handicap came back last week at a generous 25, and very happy i was with their decision. :aok:

Went out this morning and played the best i have played since picking up the clubs again. Shot an 82 giving me 53 points, never had the front to go in the clubhouse and pick up my winnings. :greengrin

greenlex
08-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Was +3 today off scratch for my best round ever, everything went right including 2 chip ins from bunkers. Want to join a club now to see what my handicap would be as my scores have generally improved this year but they have ranged from 74-85-97 or even more at times

Newbattle will take you. Tell the Captain I sent you. You might get a discount. :-) seriously thi tremendous greens year round.

Golden Bear
08-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I joined Herons reach Deveres Blackpool 3 weeks ago after 7 years of not being able to play due to illness. I was a 14 handicap then, but obviously nowhere near that now.

I put 3 cards in and have been playing 3 times a week. My handicap came back last week at a generous 25, and very happy i was with their decision. :aok:

Went out this morning and played the best i have played since picking up the clubs again. Shot an 82 giving me 53 points, never had the front to go in the clubhouse and pick up my winnings. :greengrin

Help ma boab - how much did you bribe the Handicap Convenor? :rules:

He was way over generous in giving you 25. From what you say, I wouldn't have allocated you any more than 17 but there again I always tend to err on the side of caution as it saves me from lot of grief frae the moaning Members.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Help ma boab - how much did you bribe the Handicap Convenor? :rules:

He was way over generous in giving you 25. From what you say, I wouldn't have allocated you any more than 17 but there again I always tend to err on the side of caution as it saves me from lot of grief frae the moaning Members.

Never bribed anyone, i had not played for 7 years and to be honest my first few rounds were woeful. The lowest i carded was 102, but my swing was coming back last week and those 3 cards had not been put in where i'd scored 36 37 and 35.

It all came together yesterday, but saying that it could all go south on Monday when i'm out next? Hopefully i should get down to around 18 in the next month or so by playing to that handicap regularly.

Godsahibby
01-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Well dusted the clubs off yesterday for my first round of the year. Was playing really well late into last year because I was playing so much. Not surprising i'm all over the place.