PDA

View Full Version : Play offs

gerry70
28-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Is this a spoof website or is this for real?

http://spfl.co.uk/play-offs/

Is this how we pay for Neil Doncaster's pay rise? Makes scottish football a joke.

iwasthere1972
28-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Had a look at that earlier on and had a sore head after scrolling half way down.

Looked like a whole seasons fixtures list. Compared to understanding that, the Rubik's cube was a doddle.

SJNB Hibby
29-04-2014, 11:13 AM
It's no that difficult to understand--thing that bothers me, if we end up 11th, is sitting there waiting for a team that will be on a winning streak, especiall;y if its 3rd in the championship(Falkirk) who will have won two rounds and be on the up, while we're depressed waiting for the next hammer blow

rcarter1
29-04-2014, 11:18 AM
It's no that difficult to understand--thing that bothers me, if we end up 11th, is sitting there waiting for a team that will be on a winning streak, especiall;y if its 3rd in the championship(Falkirk) who will have won two rounds and be on the up, while we're depressed waiting for the next hammer blow

Play offs for us would be 21st and 25th, agree that 10 days of waiting around isn't great, hopefully it will be 3rd or 4th who might have picked up a few knocks/suspensions etc.

Geo_1875
29-04-2014, 11:18 AM
It's all pish and it's all subject change because of TV. Get whoever decided it was a good idea back on the dole.

JimBHibees
29-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Yep the team we may play will have got through two difficult ties so will be on the up however there is every chance they may also have picked up a couple of injuries and possibly suspensions coming into the game v the Premiership team.
Our last league game is the 10th so the Premier team would have a break of about 10 days before the first leg. Actually think it should just be 2 v 3 championship and 4 v 11th Prem in semis and a final at a neutral venue though no doubt they are trying to generate more income with the additional games. Although we obviously didnt want to be in it it is actually a good idea for a play off rather than the usual dull end to the season at the bottom 6.

Geo_1875
29-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Yep the team we may play will have got through two difficult ties so will be on the up however there is every chance they may also have picked up a couple of injuries and possibly suspensions coming into the game v the Premiership team.
Our last league game is the 10th so the Premier team would have a break of about 10 days before the first leg. Actually think it should just be 2 v 3 championship and 4 v 11th Prem in semis and a final at a neutral venue though no doubt thye are trying to generate m,ore income with the additional games.

If they want to make play-offs part of football they should go the whole hog and copy rugby league. Top 4 play-off for Champions?

JimBHibees
29-04-2014, 11:27 AM
If they want to make play-offs part of football they should go the whole hog and copy rugby league. Top 4 play-off for Champions?

Not so sure I think play offs are a good thing and very successful in England however I dont think it is fair for the team getting most points and being champions losing out in a short cup style tournament though appreciate the same can be said for teams finishing 2 and losing to a team below them in the knockout game.

Weststandwanab
29-04-2014, 11:34 AM
The easy solution is do not finish 11th.

Just Alf
29-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Not so sure I think play offs are a good thing and very successful in England however I dont think it is fair for the team getting most points and being champions losing out in a short cup style tournament though appreciate the same can be said for teams finishing 2 and losing to a team below them in the knockout game.

Not sure myself.... Maybe if the end of season winners/placing bonus was, say, 60% decided on final placings at end of normal season and the remaining 40% distribution decided after the play offs? (There would also be the additional TV/gate money to consider)

Leithenhibby
29-04-2014, 11:43 AM
The easy solution is do not finish 11th.

Starting Saturday at ERE. Job done :-)

Eyrie
29-04-2014, 04:42 PM
This classic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk) always comes to mind when playoffs are mentioned.

I would prefer 11th vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd over two legs, followed by home and away for the winners. Much fairer than the current system where the SPL club has an advantage over the other teams who have to play more games.

Franck Stanton
29-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Disnae matter who the team is or when the games are played because we are not going to finish 11th. We will win on Sat, beat RC and top it off with a win v Killie. Have faith lads/lassies, have faith.