PDA

View Full Version : My view of the recent times at this club

FromTheCapital
28-04-2014, 03:13 PM
For all of you who are saying that we should get rid of Butcher, I've made a thread of what I think of the issue.
In my opinion, Terry Butcher has to take a small portion of the blame for our recent and lasting slump for the obvious reason that he is in charge. However, I do not believe that he is the main culprit for why this club has been rotting away to being a poor, average side for the last 5, 6 maybe even 7 years! We've had a remarkable amount of new managers in a short period of time but surely all of the managers we have appointed cannot all be bad managers? However, our most recent ones, i.e Paatelainen (slightly), Calderwood and Fenlon are the ones that I believe have put us in this position. Paatelainen faced the tough task of replacing Collins who had won our first trophy in 16 years. It didn't work out perfectly for Mixu but for me, it was his successor that done the most damage to this football club. If we had kept Calderwood, in my opinion, we would have been relegated in the 2010-2011 season. The man made some awful signings and took Hibs from being average to down right poor. Fenlon the came in to try and sweep up the mess and to be fair to the guy, he did sort us out and progressed us slightly into a difficult side to beat for the most time. I'm not saying we were a great side as we didn't play great football but we would very rarely be walked over.
Now, after the game yesterday, I heard a man whilst walking away from the East Stand who made one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in my life. The guy may even be a member of hibs.net, I have no idea but he said: "Terry Butcher is not a big enough person for this football club. No one better be back here next week, we should all boycott the team". Okay, for me, the 'Butcher isn't big enough' statement is complete nonsense as the man has captained England before and took Inverness from being an average lower league side in to a big, strong and quick side that attacked and played good football who were challenging for European football.
Paatelainen, Calderwood and Fenlon don't seem to me like managers who could turn around this club back towards success but for me, I have confidence that Butcher has the ability to do it. He's not got his own team yet and many of you are already jumping on his back? I'm not blaming Petrie either because in my opinion, Rod hasn't done overly bad as Hibs chairman, he has built a lovely new stand which we proved in the 2-1 victory over Hearts that we can fill and also, we filled that stand with a poor team! Imagine in future years, if we had a good side on the park, Easter Road would be full week in, week out. Also, Petrie has built us a lovely new training academy and our youth is amongst the best in the country which puts a glimmer of brightness on this club's future. What Petrie needs to do now, however, is to part with cash. I'm not saying go wild and over pay millions like what Hearts and Rangers done but do the same as Aberdeen, buy good players, build a good squad, fill Easter Road and the man upstairs would be making a profit in no time with the size of the fan base that this club has.
So what I'm getting at it is, for the first time in a while, let's stick with our manager, trust him, trust Petrie and as a club, we will pull out of this bad situation, together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggbamyasi
28-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Good post :-) and I agree

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Leith_Hibee
28-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Good post :-) and I agree

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wayyyy haaayyyyy, exactly what is needed at the moment.

I've been disgusted with the attitude of Hibs 'supporters' this season, when things dont go right we get on the players backs. The players need our help to give them the confidence to perform. I'd be bricking it to get on the ball in a green jersey at the moment as our support is waiting on any opportunity to vent their anger.

It's time to get behind the team and drag them across the line this season...then Butcher's rebuilding can start.

FromTheCapital
28-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I agree with both of you but sadly, there are too many people at Easter road that don't think in this eay

greenlex
28-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Since Petrie struck the jackpot with Mowbray he has applied a similar philosophy to managerial appointments. He has appointed up and coming type managers. This time he has appointed a tried and tested team (not just a manager) at our level. We really need to see this bearing fruits. It wont be overnight (obviously) but it must be given time.

southsider
28-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Just how many goals has this super stadium and training centre scored. I stood in the p-ing rain at ER for about 35 years and by Christ i would do so again if we had bought quality players with the vast amount of money brought in a few years ago. The vast majority of football fans dont give a flying fek about stands with chandeliers in the prawn sandwich lounge. We want to see players on the park who will inspire us, entertain us and above all win football matches. The problem with Petrie etc that it is a job, not a lifetime commitment like the fans give. Get some real quality on the pitch Mr Petrie or for the love of God go.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm of the opinion fwiw that if TB can't sort out the mess the games a bit of a bogey.
That said I thought he'd be in a position to knock these IMO under performing players into shape in a way PF didn't manage.

Even the best (Sir Alex) don't get managerial appointments right... We've had more than our fair share - along with perhaps Aberdeen. I was hoping PF would lay the foundations for another to build on - maybe this "root and branch review" was a myth (or did I just imagine it?)

jakeshibs
29-04-2014, 05:36 PM
For all of you who are saying that we should get rid of Butcher, I've made a thread of what I think of the issue.
In my opinion, Terry Butcher has to take a small portion of the blame for our recent and lasting slump for the obvious reason that he is in charge. However, I do not believe that he is the main culprit for why this club has been rotting away to being a poor, average side for the last 5, 6 maybe even 7 years! We've had a remarkable amount of new managers in a short period of time but surely all of the managers we have appointed cannot all be bad managers? However, our most recent ones, i.e Paatelainen (slightly), Calderwood and Fenlon are the ones that I believe have put us in this position. Paatelainen faced the tough task of replacing Collins who had won our first trophy in 16 years. It didn't work out perfectly for Mixu but for me, it was his successor that done the most damage to this football club. If we had kept Calderwood, in my opinion, we would have been relegated in the 2010-2011 season. The man made some awful signings and took Hibs from being average to down right poor. Fenlon the came in to try and sweep up the mess and to be fair to the guy, he did sort us out and progressed us slightly into a difficult side to beat for the most time. I'm not saying we were a great side as we didn't play great football but we would very rarely be walked over.
Now, after the game yesterday, I heard a man whilst walking away from the East Stand who made one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in my life. The guy may even be a member of hibs.net, I have no idea but he said: "Terry Butcher is not a big enough person for this football club. No one better be back here next week, we should all boycott the team". Okay, for me, the 'Butcher isn't big enough' statement is complete nonsense as the man has captained England before and took Inverness from being an average lower league side in to a big, strong and quick side that attacked and played good football who were challenging for European football.
Paatelainen, Calderwood and Fenlon don't seem to me like managers who could turn around this club back towards success but for me, I have confidence that Butcher has the ability to do it. He's not got his own team yet and many of you are already jumping on his back? I'm not blaming Petrie either because in my opinion, Rod hasn't done overly bad as Hibs chairman, he has built a lovely new stand which we proved in the 2-1 victory over Hearts that we can fill and also, we filled that stand with a poor team! Imagine in future years, if we had a good side on the park, Easter Road would be full week in, week out. Also, Petrie has built us a lovely new training academy and our youth is amongst the best in the country which puts a glimmer of brightness on this club's future. What Petrie needs to do now, however, is to part with cash. I'm not saying go wild and over pay millions like what Hearts and Rangers done but do the same as Aberdeen, buy good players, build a good squad, fill Easter Road and the man upstairs would be making a profit in no time with the size of the fan base that this club has.
So what I'm getting at it is, for the first time in a while, let's stick with our manager, trust him, trust Petrie and as a club, we will pull out of this bad situation, together.

good post, I agree

rcarter1
29-04-2014, 05:53 PM

A lot of good things in there, and I agree with almost all of it. Petrie if he can reshuffle how the club operates in a successful way, won't be talked about as much as he is now. The bold bit remains to be seen.

hibbypostie
29-04-2014, 05:58 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gifwell said that man :tbgwa:

Eyrie
29-04-2014, 06:00 PM
We don't need to spend more money, just spend what we normally spend better. That is why clubs with smaller budgets regularly outperform us - they bring in the right managers and players whilst we've appointed duds who compounded that error with poor signings.

I still have faith in Butcher once he gets his own players in, but can't stand this lone striker nonsense that is all the rage.

greenpaper55
29-04-2014, 06:31 PM
We don't need to spend more money, just spend what we normally spend better. That is why clubs with smaller budgets regularly outperform us - they bring in the right managers and players whilst we've appointed duds who compounded that error with poor signings.

I still have faith in Butcher once he gets his own players in, but can't stand this lone striker nonsense that is all the rage.

Spot on, has any other SPL club signed anyone as bad as Shefki kuqi ?, we paid him for a year, a man that anyone could see was well past it but somehow PF gave him a contract based on what. An utter disgrace the way money is wasted at ER and lets hope the new CEO puts a stop to this.