PDA

View Full Version : Sad news. Another good Hibby passes

weecounty hibby
28-04-2014, 09:33 AM
It is with heavy heart that I have to post that my uncle Gordon Hendry, from Alloa, passed away at 07:50 this morning.

99% of folks on here won't know him or heard of him but anyone who travelled on the Alloa bus anytime from the 60s onwards will remember him as the quiet guy who never had a bad word to say about anybody and always had a smile on his face.

He is the reason that I am a Hibby and my family are Hibbies, he took me to my first match just over 40 years ago now.

His last game was the day the old main stand was used for the last time as his health was failing even back then. We went that day as that was where he used to take me when we first started going to matches together.

In all the years we went to matches together I only ever saw him get upset once, when Ally McLeod missed a penalty against Celtic at ER when we were already 1-0 up! Win, lose or draw he always managed to see the bright side of being a Hibby something that used to drive me nuts if we had lost but something maybe we should bear in mind just now!!

RIP Gordon and thanks for making me a Hibby

scuttle
28-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Sad for your loss mate, certainly puts yesterday into perspective. R.I.P Gordon

Russ
28-04-2014, 09:40 AM
It is with heavy heart that I have to post that my uncle Gordon Hendry, from Alloa, passed away at 07:50 this morning.

99% of folks on here won't know him or heard of him but anyone who travelled on the Alloa bus anytime from the 60s onwards will remember him as the quiet guy who never had a bad word to say about anybody and always had a smile on his face.

He is the reason that I am a Hibby and my family are Hibbies, he took me to my first match just over 40 years ago now.

His last game was the day the old main stand was used for the last time as his health was failing even back then. We went that day as that was where he used to take me when we first started going to matches together.

In all the years we went to matches together I only ever saw him get upset once, when Ally McLeod missed a penalty against Celtic at ER when we were already 1-0 up! Win, lose or draw he always managed to see the bright side of being a Hibby something that used to drive me nuts if we had lost but something maybe we should bear in mind just now!!

RIP Gordon and thanks for making me a Hibby

He sounds like he was a true gent. R I P. If only we had an Ally Mcleod in the team now.

martinmcgurk
28-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss

Spike Mandela
28-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Ahhhhh sorry to hear the news Scott. Met Gordon in Tescos a few weeks back and as you say had the usual trademark big smile on his face. Maria sends her condolences as well. Drop me a text when the funeral is mate.

cabbageandribs1875
28-04-2014, 10:03 AM
sorry for your loss, condolences to all family and friends

Sean1875
28-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Thoughts with you and your family mate. Condolences.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Sorry for your loss mate. Condolemces to yout family and friends.

weecounty hibby
28-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Ahhhhh sorry to hear the news Scott. Met Gordon in Tescos a few weeks back and as you say had the usual trademark big smile on his face. Maria sends her condolences as well. Drop me a text when the funeral is mate.
Will do D. Thanks to Maria. Totally gutted! It does put Hibs being pish into a bit of perspective.

trev the hat
28-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear this, condolences to family and friends.

Weststandwanab
28-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Sorry to read that R.I.P..

Hibiza
28-04-2014, 10:54 AM
R.i.p.

Hibernia&Alba
28-04-2014, 11:23 AM
That's a nice tribute you made to your uncle, weecounty. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, all the best to your family at this painful time.

schinkenotto
28-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Sad news and deepest sympathy.At least he had some good(often great)Hibby times.I'm of his vintage and think I may have met him.Did he frequent the 50 Club?

Pretty Boy
28-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Sorry for your loss mate.

Lovely words about your uncle.

Stantons Angel
28-04-2014, 12:27 PM
RIP Gordon. Another good Hibbie watching over us.

ALF TUPPER
28-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. RIP

doddsy
28-04-2014, 12:37 PM
sorry to hear that weecounty, family means everything and a sad loss. God bless.

jockodile
28-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Sad news.

I remember Gordon from the 80s/early 90s, and the comments are spot on, he never was down after defeats - always took big picture view.

I'll always remember how friendly and welcoming he was to me as the token Stirling Hibee coming to join to Alloa branch.
Those trips all over the country, after a quick pint in the Thistle to watch the Hibees. Win, lose or draw those were the days of our lives indeed.

RIP

John

confused
28-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Sorry for your loss mate. Condolemces to yout family and friends

Jonnyboy
28-04-2014, 08:06 PM
You've done him proud with your opening post. RIP Gordon

edwards
28-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your sad news he seemed a true gem RIP